[GDT] Colorado @ Vancouver - Wednesday, March 13th - 7:30pt/10:30et - SNP, SN650.

Hopefully we have another great Avs -Nucks game like the one below. I was at this game in 2018 in Petey's rookie season and it was one of the best games I've ever seen live. So exciting.

Petey had 5 points, Boeser had 4 points.

Interestingly, in this game Sheldon Dries, Ian Cole, and Zadorov all scored too.

The long bank pass by Petey off the boards to Boeser is the stuff of legend. Still remember it to this day.

Go Canucks go!

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 4

The Lay's guy was asked about the Canucks chances. 

I underlined the text in his opinion of the depth that is needed.  

It's been 31 years since a Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup. If the playoffs began today, the Vancouver Canucks, Winnipeg Jets, Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs are in. You’ve got a history with the Canucks, having played for them between 1997-2000. What’s your take on a team that’s been formidable this season, and what do you think of their chances for a long run?

“When I think of long runs, it’s best for me to back it up. Look at the way teams are winning and how they win during the regular season. Are they winning just with great goaltending or are they winning with a really balanced attack?

“Depth in the playoffs is massive, and not only from the 18 skaters and two goalies in the lineup. Theoretically, you need nine defenseman who are able to play going into the playoffs and then you need at least 15 forwards who are able to be ready to play on any given night – the 12 that are in uniform and then three who can come in at any given time. Can those six extra skaters play and can they contribute?

“Vancouver has had an incredible year. I’ve got to take my hat off to (coach) Rick Tocchet and the job he's done there. He's really centered and focused that team. They do have a lot of talent, but you know, focusing that talent is not always easy.

Mess 8

© Michael Desjardins/Getty Images

Mark Messier with Vancouver GM Pat Quinn on July 28, 1997 after having signed a three-year contract with the Canucks.

“(Thatcher) Demko seems to be an excellent goalie. Obviously not a lot of playoff experience (four games for Vancouver in 2019-20), so that's different. And I think Elias Lindholm, who they acquired by trade with Calgary, was a great addition. He's a really solid hockey player who provides a lot of offense and can play a 200-foot game.

“So Vancouver has set themselves up. One of the things I like about the Canucks is they have a really big, strong defense. In playoff hockey, playing for two months, your defense is going to be tested – ground and pound – and they’ve got to be able to absorb that.

“Other than some inexperience in Vancouver, which is probably the thing that they're lacking the most right now, you’ve got to look at their team as being really positioned well to play well in the playoffs.”

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Is it easy to find a charging station outside of larger towns, cities etc? I wouldn’t want to be in the middle of nowhere low on charge.

I don’t own an EV so I don’t know. I live in a rural area and don’t see many charging stations.

How many times have I been driving down some country road hoping I am going to make the next gas station watching it go down. Tesla plots the route and tells you where to charge and for how long. Never let it drive though. That is the dumbest smart car ever. Owning a car with the auto driving feature makes it clear to me that real auto driving is probably a decade away. 

Edited by DrJockitch

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

It's been 31 years since a Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup. If the playoffs began today, the Vancouver Canucks, Winnipeg Jets, Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs are in. You’ve got a history with the Canucks, having played for them between 1997-2000. What’s your take on a team that’s been formidable this season, and what do you think of their chances for a long run?

“When I think of long runs, it’s best for me to back it up. Look at the way teams are winning and how they win during the regular season. Are they winning just with great goaltending or are they winning with a really balanced attack?

“Depth in the playoffs is massive, and not only from the 18 skaters and two goalies in the lineup. Theoretically, you need nine defenseman who are able to play going into the playoffs and then you need at least 15 forwards who are able to be ready to play on any given night – the 12 that are in uniform and then three who can come in at any given time. Can those six extra skaters play and can they contribute?

“Vancouver has had an incredible year. I’ve got to take my hat off to (coach) Rick Tocchet and the job he's done there. He's really centered and focused that team. They do have a lot of talent, but you know, focusing that talent is not always easy.

Mess 8

Mark Messier with Vancouver GM Pat Quinn on July 28, 1997 after having signed a three-year contract with the Canucks.

“(Thatcher) Demko seems to be an excellent goalie. Obviously not a lot of playoff experience (four games for Vancouver in 2019-20), so that's different. And I think Elias Lindholm, who they acquired by trade with Calgary, was a great addition. He's a really solid hockey player who provides a lot of offense and can play a 200-foot game.

“So Vancouver has set themselves up. One of the things I like about the Canucks is they have a really big, strong defense. In playoff hockey, playing for two months, your defense is going to be tested – ground and pound – and they’ve got to be able to absorb that.

“Other than some inexperience in Vancouver, which is probably the thing that they're lacking the most right now, you’ve got to look at their team as being really positioned well to play well in the playoffs.”

Fuck Messier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Mess 8

Just sayin, if this image was a cardboard cutout put over top of one of those 'test your punching strength' games, and the Canucks put that game in the foyer at the Rink, they would make a million bucks a year from it, with lineups pre and post game every home game to give it a whirl. 

"Bet you can't beat him just once"

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I underlined the text in his opinion of the depth that is needed.  

Mess 8

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

How many times have I been driving down some country road hoping I am going to make the next gas station watching it go down. Tesla plots the route and tells you where to charge and for how long. Never let it drive though. That is the dumbest smart car ever. Owning a car with the auto driving feature makes it clear to me that real auto driving is probably a decade away. 

Agreed, never let your car drive itself, but the tech is pretty awesome and I could see where something like a toll road, i mean like a controlled route in the future where auto drive maybe has its own lane and it is a very routine stretch, say on larger highways and interstates..where long stretches can be done with little to no accidents per year, that is where I think the future of auto driving cars and trucks and rigs goes. Probably more for logistics of trucking than for private individuals. Where we are going, we won't need roads, just really good tech/ai. 

48 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Is it easy to find a charging station outside of larger towns, cities etc? I wouldn’t want to be in the middle of nowhere low on charge.

I don’t own an EV so I don’t know. I live in a rural area and don’t see many charging stations.

It depends what you need out of your vehicle and if you can charge at home. If you live in a rural area you need the ability to charge at home in order for it to be feasible. I think the use case for EVs is for those who commute in larger urban centers and have the ability to charge at home.

There are plenty of charging stations along major highways though. I know Hope, Merritt, Kamloops, Kelowna, squamish, whistler all have charging stations so you will have a hard time getting 'stuck'. The island will have plenty as well in Nanaimo, Courteney, Campbell River. I can't speak for more northern areas though, but given the weather in the winter a full EV may not be the best option anyway. Just my 2 cents.

• Cheers 1

I feel like if we can win this game, we can lock up the Pacific. And the prize is... playing the Vegas Golden Cap Circumventers in the first round. 

Should be a great game though, potentially game of the year!

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1