[GDT] Colorado @ Vancouver - Wednesday, March 13th - 7:30pt/10:30et - SNP, SN650.

21 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Electricity and heat production are accountable for 25% of the global Greenhouse Gas Emissions. "Other Energy" is a separate slice at 10%

Transportation comes in at 14%. 

total of Transportation and Energy/Heat: 49% of all global greenhouse gas emissions.

Between Transport and energy sits Industry at 21% and Agriculture, Forestry and other land uses at 24% for a total combined at 45%.

Beijing and LA both had remarkable moments where some residents saw the clear blue sky and stars at night for the first time in their lives during the lockdowns where these emissions were basically shut off for months on end.  We need to make improvements at every line item in the list, but for some reason folks without even a horse in the race seem to have an almost visceral hate of EV's. I am not sure why. If you don't want one, don't buy one, but I am looking forward to a future transportation environment where less than half the current emissions occur. Coupling that with reductions on the largest emissions group: Energy/Heat production will have significant impacts, and where Industry is forced to cut back on their emissions and advances are made in Agriculture (another traditionally conservative industry) and we will have made significant work on the file of wanting to preserve life on this earth. 

Folks acting like it is irrelevant to humanity, these greenhouse gas emissions, are only proving those people are dinosaurs, intent on keeping their heads buried in the sand until they can't breathe anymore. (not aimed at you, just in general)

Cars are only a small fraction of transport though. It's not that I'm having a visceral reaction. Lol I'm just being real. Reducing Coal consumption, Agriculture impacts, even only a small amount 20% or so would have a greater impact on reducing green house emissions than deleting cars from the planet. And the alternatives are far less disastrous than cobalt and lithium mining. 

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

The Lay's guy was asked about the Canucks chances. 

I underlined the text in his opinion of the depth that is needed.  

It's been 31 years since a Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup. If the playoffs began today, the Vancouver Canucks, Winnipeg Jets, Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs are in. You’ve got a history with the Canucks, having played for them between 1997-2000. What’s your take on a team that’s been formidable this season, and what do you think of their chances for a long run?

“When I think of long runs, it’s best for me to back it up. Look at the way teams are winning and how they win during the regular season. Are they winning just with great goaltending or are they winning with a really balanced attack?

“Depth in the playoffs is massive, and not only from the 18 skaters and two goalies in the lineup. Theoretically, you need nine defenseman who are able to play going into the playoffs and then you need at least 15 forwards who are able to be ready to play on any given night – the 12 that are in uniform and then three who can come in at any given time. Can those six extra skaters play and can they contribute?

“Vancouver has had an incredible year. I’ve got to take my hat off to (coach) Rick Tocchet and the job he's done there. He's really centered and focused that team. They do have a lot of talent, but you know, focusing that talent is not always easy.

Mess 8

© Michael Desjardins/Getty Images

Mark Messier with Vancouver GM Pat Quinn on July 28, 1997 after having signed a three-year contract with the Canucks.

“(Thatcher) Demko seems to be an excellent goalie. Obviously not a lot of playoff experience (four games for Vancouver in 2019-20), so that's different. And I think Elias Lindholm, who they acquired by trade with Calgary, was a great addition. He's a really solid hockey player who provides a lot of offense and can play a 200-foot game.

“So Vancouver has set themselves up. One of the things I like about the Canucks is they have a really big, strong defense. In playoff hockey, playing for two months, your defense is going to be tested – ground and pound – and they’ve got to be able to absorb that.

“Other than some inexperience in Vancouver, which is probably the thing that they're lacking the most right now, you’ve got to look at their team as being really positioned well to play well in the playoffs.”

The only time that I want to read anything about that worthless piece of shit is in an obituary. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

I mean pick your poison though. Most EVs have a shelf life of how many years? They aren't particularly economically repairable. And the materials they are made from are ecologically disastrous. It's like hitting your thumb with a hammer to take away the pain of the tow you just stubbed. 

If we are being real about climate change we need to cull the beef industry and the methane created. Reduce global rice production. Stop burning coal and create more efficient ways to fly. 

A handful of 1st worlders driving around in their high horse EVs driven by lithium batteries isn't the change we need. But as long as people feel better about themselves when they buy an new I phone every 2 years and keep scarfing down big Mac's and slurping back liquid rice cakes (Budweiser).

It's like the 70s all over again when we were saving the rainforest by switching to plastic bags. 

These all good points. For the record I was not advocating for the EV as a world saver.

i was simply stating that the emissions were non existent.

i am well aware of the byproduct of battery production (research cell phone batteries if you will). I am also aware of the unsavoury nature of our species’ ability to destroy this planet.

Finally, I am not in a position financially that would allow a purchase an EV. Perhaps a high horse may be more suitable to my budget.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We've had a good chat today.  Guess what.  IThere isn't enough dams left in BC (sites), to deal with just that populace running EV cars, even if BC could switch the entire populace

It's going to take time, and nuclear is going to have to be revisited in a big way.   

Want to help?  Don't use Amazon.   Ride a bike.   Take a bus.   Be a responsible consumer.   Never buy bottled water.   It's a complex solution.    As consumers we are "skipping the dishes" like WTF is that.    Not sure why people can't use some of their yard space to grow their own food.   That's not very hard to do.   We are all hypocrites in this regard varying degrees.   Change takes time.   For EV to work, it has to be affordable.    And even BC's grid will be stretched passed its limit, if every car was using this tech right now.  

I'd grow a victory garden, if I could afford a townhouse to live in.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

What is with the 7:30 start time? I've gotta be up at 6 tomorrow morning so I won't see the whole game.

Lots of time between the end of the 3rd and 6am to sleep.  Priorities man! 

• ThereItIs 1

31 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Cars are only a small fraction of transport though. It's not that I'm having a visceral reaction. Lol I'm just being real. Reducing Coal consumption, Agriculture impacts, even only a small amount 20% or so would have a greater impact on reducing green house emissions than deleting cars from the planet. And the alternatives are far less disastrous than cobalt and lithium mining. 

Electric battery rigs are already a thing. by mid 2030's i imagine gas engines will be the minority sold in all vehicles.

We do need to defeat greenhouse gas emissions on every line item, including transport. 

I am no expert but i would gamble that lithium and cobalt mining have very little total damage to the planet per vehicle than oil and gas industry already has per vehicle.

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Electric battery rigs are already a thing. by mid 2030's i imagine gas engines will be the minority sold in all vehicles.

We do need to defeat greenhouse gas emissions on every line item, including transport. 

I am no expert but i would gamble that lithium and cobalt mining have very little total damage to the planet per vehicle than oil and gas industry already has per vehicle.

And there's lots of developments on solid state and other chemistries on batteries. They want quicker charging and more range and less weight. Lots of R&D money is going into that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd grow a victory garden, if I could afford a townhouse to live in.

If i understood correctly tonight playing EV vs Nuclear.Didn't tell me who you are cheering for?😆😋.Game start  7:30.Nuclear could not start up

Edited by Lemon Face

2 hours ago, Strawbone said:

I feel like if we can win this game, we can lock up the Pacific. And the prize is... playing the Vegas Golden Cap Circumventers in the first round. 

Should be a great game though, potentially game of the year!

We'd likely play smashville if we win the west

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

I mean pick your poison though. Most EVs have a shelf life of how many years? They aren't particularly economically repairable. And the materials they are made from are ecologically disastrous. It's like hitting your thumb with a hammer to take away the pain of the tow you just stubbed. 

If we are being real about climate change we need to cull the beef industry and the methane created. Reduce global rice production. Stop burning coal and create more efficient ways to fly. 

A handful of 1st worlders driving around in their high horse EVs driven by lithium batteries isn't the change we need. But as long as people feel better about themselves when they buy an new I phone every 2 years and keep scarfing down big Mac's and slurping back liquid rice cakes (Budweiser).

It's like the 70s all over again when we were saving the rainforest by switching to plastic bags. 

I don't care if they gave me an electric car or truck for free, I'd just sell it and find even more ways to hop-up both my Dodge PU or the 69 Camaro I have in the garage.

As long as they both go real fast and go vrooom wakin up everyone.

Best part is like being in a huge parking lot like Walmart or similar and makin those 8 cylinder purr; loudly sometimes then laugh at the stupid things that buzz or hum.

Did you know that EVs are actually harmful to you? Not to mention the disposal of them is not what they tell you. I dare not say more.

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Just touching 2 pm and we already have highlights, wow.

Loved Barry Wilkins. My man Andre Boudrias is the net front screener. 

For tonight’s game it will be JT shutting MacKinnny down and Petey putting the game away on the 2nd line. Ok Lindy will pot one off the 3rd line. The boys have had some time to work on secret plays designed by HC Tocchet. The Avs are hooped.

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 2

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

Electricity and heat production are accountable for 25% of the global Greenhouse Gas Emissions. "Other Energy" is a separate slice at 10%

Transportation comes in at 14%. 

total of Transportation and Energy/Heat: 49% of all global greenhouse gas emissions.

Between Transport and energy sits Industry at 21% and Agriculture, Forestry and other land uses at 24% for a total combined at 45%.

Beijing and LA both had remarkable moments where some residents saw the clear blue sky and stars at night for the first time in their lives during the lockdowns where these emissions were basically shut off for months on end.  We need to make improvements at every line item in the list, but for some reason folks without even a horse in the race seem to have an almost visceral hate of EV's. I am not sure why. If you don't want one, don't buy one, but I am looking forward to a future transportation environment where less than half the current emissions occur. Coupling that with reductions on the largest emissions group: Energy/Heat production will have significant impacts, and where Industry is forced to cut back on their emissions and advances are made in Agriculture (another traditionally conservative industry) and we will have made significant work on the file of wanting to preserve life on this earth. 

Folks acting like it is irrelevant to humanity, these greenhouse gas emissions, are only proving those people are dinosaurs, intent on keeping their heads buried in the sand until they can't breathe anymore. (not aimed at you, just in general)

look.. i hear you.

but take it from someone who's close to the battery sector and part of my job. The world is not ready for electrification. It's actually a good thing there's still resistance to it because if more people decided to wake up and demand EV's, it would fail. we simply lack the infrastructure to support electric vehicles, and if use of electric vehicles significantly increases too fast and the infrastructure is not there to support it, than there would be even more of a resistance to change.

- Europe's infrastructure is too old and needs major updates.

- North America is too vast and there's no viable solution for putting electrical tractor trailers in circulation for cross-province / cross-state transportation without increasing the time it takes to complete a delivery which would turn increase the price of transport which will increase the cost of goods.

- Too many people park on streets where charging options lack

if North America was serious about cutting down emissions they would be pushing the business sector to use the railway and would promote / incentivizing the building of commercial buildings near rail spurs.

The western world also needs to give up some "convenience", We don't need to order something off amazon at 10 AM on a Sunday for it to deliver at 6 pm on a Sunday. Our need to want everything now and fast is what's contributing to a significant demand on the release of emissions in the environment. 

EV's are great in theory but, to be determined, if North America will be bale to implement an infrastructure soon enough to support it.

I would advocate that we need to focus on life-choices and government policies that reduce over-consumption and waste. Aviation, Container Vessels, and Tractor Trailers is what pollutes the world and the demand for these modes of transportation continues to go up for the purpose of our "wants" and "convenience" 

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1