[PGT] Scamalanche at Canucks

If people are focussed on the Refs bad calls, then they are ignoring that the Canuck's players made key mistakes at the worst times *and* didn't score on their PPs. Canucks 0-3 and Avs 2-4. 

I haven't really heard anyone talk about situational play, but to me that is a crucial part of winning games.

In the last minute of the 2nd period do EVERYTHING you can to get the puck out of your zone. The Canucks allowed the Avs the keep the puck in their zone and then lost where the Avs players were. You can't let a team score a goal in the last 5 seconds of a period!

In the last minute of the 3rd period Soucy tosses the puck over the boards. Why? Because he felt pressure. It's still the last 9 seconds of the game - do ANYTHING to not get a penalty going into overtime.

The biggest two questions to me are:

- can the Canucks improve their PP? If they don't, then it's likely they'll be out in the first round.

- WHY are the Canucks going into a defensive / passive shell when they have a 3 goal lead? The point of having a lead is that you can EXTEND it when you press harder. Some broadcasters said that the Avs went up another level and the Canucks couldnt match them - to me the Canucks went into a shell and stayed in that shell for the last 2 periods. All the offensive zone play, all the passes up the ice, kind of disappeared and the Canucks were just repeatedly playing hot potato with the puck. 

The irony is the Canucks change into a terrible team when they go into their shell. They lose their system, they lose their passing, and they lose their confidence. The question is - can the Canucks stop putting a cap on playing assertively and offensively? Why stop at 3-0? Got for 4, 5, 7. NEVER take the foot off the pedal.

It's like you're leading a F1 race and decide to slow down so the other cars can catch up. 

Edited by AnotherCanucksFan
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

If people are focussed on the Refs bad calls, then they are ignoring that the Canuck's players made key mistakes at the worst times *and* didn't score on their PPs. Canucks 0-3 and Avs 2-4. 

This. As what said in the Halford and Brough podcast Canucks fans need to stop playing the victim when it comes to Refs' calls. Bad or missed calls happen even in games not played by the Canucks, it happens. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not to make too much about the reffing tonight as we expect questionable calls from time to time - but can the referees for once make sure they make the right calls when a team already one man short - questionable stick calls when already short handed (or that roughing "push" penalty by Lindholm in the Minny game) is what drives most fans angry and coaches speechless.

Call penalties when it nullifies a goal / opportunity - not when it is ticky-tacky play - in a 60M game, you see that play every few minutes.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

not to play scared

This is key. But learning experience for the boys. Let's get back onto winning ways on Saturday. They'll have two good practices before the game on Saturday against the Caps.

38 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Not to make too much about the reffing tonight as we expect questionable calls from time to time - but can the referees for once make sure they make the right calls when a team already one man short - questionable stick calls when already short handed (or that roughing "push" penalty by Lindholm in the Minny game) is what drives most fans angry and coaches speechless.

Call penalties when it nullifies a goal / opportunity - not when it is ticky-tacky play - in a 60M game, you see that play every few minutes.

The reffing was bad tonight, but the Canucks didn't do themselves any favours by playing scared and timid in the third period. They needed to be more aggressive against the Avs. Played good for 60 percent of tonight, unfortunately, against a team like Colorado, that's probably not going to do it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya they just seem to play scared. They needed to keep pushing forward and they sat back. Different game than they were playing the first two periods. Not sure why they changed up their game. Avs pushed and we just couldn’t handle it.

Could be inexperience. I think they'll put a better effort the next time they meet in the regular season (if they do?). But let's hope that they can stay above .500 for the rest of the season. They need to. I miss Demko already. If he were in net tonight, we could've won. That goal that they reviewed - man, i thought DeSmith made such a spectacular play there, but when they tied it, It felt like the Avs were going to win it at that point. Canucks were just hanging onto dear life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The one thing no one's mentioned about the refs is they also got in the way alot. There was a sequence after the 3-2 goal where the Miller line was making a push, the ref got right in the way leading to a turnover & odd man rush. Just a tough night all around.

Ya saw that - they must have been making bets on this one 

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Deal with me calling it out then, it’s a message board deal with it…

Your comment makes no sense to me 

it’s NORMAL to say you aren’t happy if your team loses unless you are in denial or drunk…

or you just like to suffer…

your complaints against fans as such is insulting and pouring salt into a wound… you are a real piece of work with reasoning like that.. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

People cry and throw tantrums?

I don’t see it that way…

Emotions are a thing

venting is a thing

everyone is different 

let them be

why complain?

they love the Canucks and want them to succeed 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I don’t see it that way…

Emotions are a thing

venting is a thing

everyone is different 

let them be

why complain?

they love the Canucks and want them to succeed 

Jennifer Lopez Yes GIF by mtv

That is what I don't get about the schism here in this forums.

Just because people are more skeptical and pessimistic than others doesn't mean they want see the Canucks fail. No one is lurking these threads and spending time here just so they can see the team burn. 

Besides 10 years of failure for the team can make people more cynical. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

More whining.  You seem to think hockey games are conducted in two halves.  It's not.  It's not even three periods.  It's ONE GAME.  There's a winner and there's a loser.  The Canucks can get blasted all game long and completely steal a win in the last minutes of a game.  That's how hockey works.

In fairness, there was a time, when this just would have gone in the record books as a tie game.   If it's just simply a win or a loss, and nothing else during what happens in the record books is are all that matters, we wouldn't have memorable games and memorable moments.  Get the point though.    Hockey is unpredictable.    

As for diving.   We had divers on our team before too....it's happened.   Refs don't take kindly to that, once you've got a rep it's going to stick.    Do it at your own risk, the media eats it up, and absolutely, some refs hold grudges.   McWhiner uses his "skillset" of whining to help win games for his team.    McKinnon, wily and code breaking play, it likely will  have some consequences later.   

Hope we meet these guys in the playoffs.     Want another chance to see them play against a better version of our team.    Think as long as we can match McKinnon, they don't have a chance at all. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Coach said exactly what I would expect him to say in a postgame presser and put it back on the players. That’s fine - don’t let the players make excuses. Having said that it is perfectly obvious that  he thinks that reffing is the shits when the camera pans to the bench. 

Fans don’t get fined for pointing out shit or missed calls that cause big momentum swings  or for calling out the Augers or Peels in the league. Bitching & moaning won’t change the outcome of a game but it doesn’t make it wrong to want accountability. 

This is from the article from posted by @stawns claiming the league does hold officials accountable but do it behind closed doors. Fraser cites 2 (count’em 2) examples. One ref suspended for 1 game for an unauthorized interview and one linesman ordered to miss a playoff round when it was thought he stole the 2010 game -winning puck. He later went back to work when the puck was found. That doesn’t scream accountability to me.

The final Kerry Fraser quote from the  2015 article-

“In terms of accountability, I’m troubled when I see the same errors being made on far too regular a basis. These range from improper positioning, standard of enforcement, game management, communication and building professional working relationships with players and coaches.”

Personally would much rather the league goes back to one ref.   And give the lineman powers to blow down any missed majors, have the ref then review the play, and make the call official.   We'd have half the refs we do now.   It's awfully hard to build relationships with the players, when you've got so freaking many refs in the first place.    Calls are still missed with two refs, and it's not really the little ones that matter anyways, it's the ones that aren't called when a scoring chance is created that matter.   Bad calls are just as bad, because they give the other team multiple scoring chances usually.  

Want better reffing?   Remove a ref.    Let the lineman call a major that's missed, blow the play down.   Let the rest go.     Don't even pay attention to the two refs they announce before the game anymore.   If you cut their fraternity in half ... you'd have the best of the best only. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Yup; It really was. At first I thought he was working hard but not later..

Consistency matters. Go figure.

I asked this question a while ago and some people laughed at me - does Pettersson actually drive play?

Canucks near the end of the 2nd period 

tumblr_mxgsmtEwYS1qa6rsvo1_400 (1).gif

Canucks during the 3rd period 

LuFP.gif

Canucks at the end of the 3rd

JN40.gif

Canucks at the end of the game

P97E.gif

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 1

Hmmmm.....

Only thing to say after that is... its still not play offs time...

Better to screw up now and learn, than to screw up during play offs... 

Let's not forget nobody saw us in this position at the start of the season. Boys are learning on the job...

On to the next one.... 

• ThereItIs 2

7 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Well said.  

This is a good sign, they know what happened and they will adjust, just like they have been for the last 100 games under Tocc. 

We get spoiled easily, we really sucked last year.

So, I stayed up late to watch the whole game, just for it to end in such disappointment.  
Then I woke up at 4 for work.   
I’ve been here for 30 minutes already and I’m so fucking tired, and it just wasn’t worth it.  
First 19 minutes were good.  
The rest stunk. 
Reff stunk. Petey stunk.
MacKinnon is a bitch. 

go Canucks go

• Cheers 1