[PGT] Scamalanche at Canucks

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

The late 2nd period goal was the killer.  That simply can't happen.  

Funnily enough, I had a feeling after the Avs scored that late with 1.8 seconds left 2nd period goal; momentum would play a role and it would swing towards the Avs. Sadly, I was right. Momentum swings are a weird divine concept that happens and it's real. 

7 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

If Rick toccet is indeed running the power play then he needs to hand the reigns to someone else. Too much talent to be looking that pathetic 

Needless to say, special teams play is key for success in the playoffs. I mean, our PP has looked good at times, but more often than not, it hasn't fared well. As far as our PK, I think it's just alright. I believe our PK kind of goes with how we play 5 on 5. Our 5 on 5 play is tops among the NHL. However it seems if we're not playing that aggressive and attacking style that gives us success at even strength, it leaks into our PK. 

Penalties happen. It's an unavoidable scenario. Avs are a team to contend with and giving them PP chances makes it harder for opposing teams. Unfortunately we were the victims last night. 

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

Petey was invisible tonight.

Sadly, I agree.

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The one thing no one's mentioned about the refs is they also got in the way alot. There was a sequence after the 3-2 goal where the Miller line was making a push, the ref got right in the way leading to a turnover & odd man rush. Just a tough night all around.

The extra ref system puts an extra body on and already crowded ice surface. The game has changed. Players this era are bigger, faster and more skilled than players of yore. Solution? The bigger international ice surface.

1 hour ago, Zombieksa said:

Tough loss, is what it is, move on to the next one, and never forgive a Manson.

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Hmmmm.....

Only thing to say after that is... its still not play offs time...

Better to screw up now and learn, than to screw up during play offs... 

Let's not forget nobody saw us in this position at the start of the season. Boys are learning on the job...

On to the next one.... 

Exactly. It's done, so move on. We got a point didn't we? I'm happy with that. We're in the playoffs aren't we? I'm happy with that. We showed we can compete with the big dogs.

Yea. We lost. Looking at the bigger picture as a team; games like this build character. Games like this test their meddle Games like this makes them stronger willed. In short we can compete with the likes of the Avs, Knights or whoever comes our way. I'm not worried. They've already made us proud. 

Go Canucks Go!!!!!

8 hours ago, Sergiomomesso said:

I said to my son that whoever scores the 4th goal would win the game. A minute later Av’s make it 3-1. That was trouble.

Fu*k sake there were some brutal non calls and soft one on Cole which basically turned the tide 

Jinx. So, this ones on you then. 

• Cheers 1

Brock I love you man but you're so soft. It's so frustrating. Your meal ticket just got head hunted in front of you. Do something. Imagine how fired up the team would have been if Brock actually stood up for a teammate.

11 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Brock I love you man but you're so soft. It's so frustrating. Your meal ticket just got head hunted in front of you. Do something. Imagine how fired up the team would have been if Brock actually stood up for a teammate.

Not every hockey player is a fighter.

• Cheers 1

I could pick out individual players that made a negative impact on the second half of the game, but what's the point. Yah win as a team and lose as one as well.

They wont be feeling good later today when they look at the tapes. Accountability is everything.

Had to be the damn Avalanche too which sucks. A team that was on no rest.

We will not hear it or see it, but truth is;                     

dropped-it-i-cant-catch.gif                                           

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not every hockey player is a fighter.

You don’t have to be a fighter to punch someone in the head with a glove.    
Show some fucking emotion.  
As much as I love the Sedin’s, their super classy, turn the other cheek, we’ll get them on the PP bullshit lead to blowing a lead and losing the cup. 
Also, one of the most embarrassing moments in Canucks history watching Marchand make Sedin look like the biggest cuck in town, just taking punches to the face.  

The right thing for Brock to do was go at him hard. Like a teammate is supposed to.   
Thats what happens when you grow up with Bo ‘go ahead and eat my lunch’ Horvat.  That bitch. Hahahah

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, 43isprime said:

Would be great to have a player who could play like Mackinnon instead of just one that was going to be paid like him.

Miller? Ever heard of that guy?

Also...you mean like this?

• Like 1
  • MillerTime 1

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

But why do they deserve to lose when the Avs only showed up for 20? 

1. We don't have a gamebreaker like Mackinnon.

2. Avs played last night and were probably trying to conserve energy where they could.

3. Their core is more experienced at winning than ours. I hope we'll get to where the Avs are at some point, but we're not there yet.

Remember the 2010-11 Canucks used to do this to other teams.

This game reminds me a bit of that game when the Grizzlies played the Bulls and the game was somewhat close until Michael Jordan decided he should probably try for the last 6 minutes of the game.

7 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Coach said exactly what I would expect him to say in a postgame presser and put it back on the players. That’s fine - don’t let the players make excuses. Having said that it is perfectly obvious that  he thinks that reffing is the shits when the camera pans to the bench. 

Fans don’t get fined for pointing out shit or missed calls that cause big momentum swings  or for calling out the Augers or Peels in the league. Bitching & moaning won’t change the outcome of a game but it doesn’t make it wrong to want accountability. 

This is from the article from posted by @stawns claiming the league does hold officials accountable but do it behind closed doors. Fraser cites 2 (count’em 2) examples. One ref suspended for 1 game for an unauthorized interview and one linesman ordered to miss a playoff round when it was thought he stole the 2010 game -winning puck. He later went back to work when the puck was found. That doesn’t scream accountability to me.

The final Kerry Fraser quote from the  2015 article-

“In terms of accountability, I’m troubled when I see the same errors being made on far too regular a basis. These range from improper positioning, standard of enforcement, game management, communication and building professional working relationships with players and coaches.”

What can they do?  There are so many teams and only so many officials to ref those games, no?  They have to have refs and it's not like there's some pool of better refs black ace-ing it or something.  I've said this many times, these are literally all the best refs in the world, this is as good as it gets 

I've also said that reffing has never been this good or this unbiased.......anyone who watched hockey pre-1995 knows this.  Refs have been making bad calls since hockey was invented, deal with it and quit the incessant whining all game, every game (not you Pete, just the usual suspects).  

• Upvote 1
  • Desmenko 1

1 hour ago, Sativika said:

Funnily enough, I had a feeling after the Avs scored that late with 1.8 seconds left 2nd period goal; momentum would play a role and it would swing towards the Avs. Sadly, I was right. Momentum swings are a weird divine concept that happens and it's real. 

Needless to say, special teams play is key for success in the playoffs. I mean, our PP has looked good at times, but more often than not, it hasn't fared well. As far as our PK, I think it's just alright. I believe our PK kind of goes with how we play 5 on 5. Our 5 on 5 play is tops among the NHL. However it seems if we're not playing that aggressive and attacking style that gives us success at even strength, it leaks into our PK. 

Penalties happen. It's an unavoidable scenario. Avs are a team to contend with and giving them PP chances makes it harder for opposing teams. Unfortunately we were the victims last night. 

Sadly, I agree.

The extra ref system puts an extra body on and already crowded ice surface. The game has changed. Players this era are bigger, faster and more skilled than players of yore. Solution? The bigger international ice surface.

Exactly. It's done, so move on. We got a point didn't we? I'm happy with that. We're in the playoffs aren't we? I'm happy with that. We showed we can compete with the big dogs.

Yea. We lost. Looking at the bigger picture as a team; games like this build character. Games like this test their meddle Games like this makes them stronger willed. In short we can compete with the likes of the Avs, Knights or whoever comes our way. I'm not worried. They've already made us proud. 

Go Canucks Go!!!!!

Petey was visible but in a bad way. Turning over pucks, soft on pucks. He just didn’t have any drive. I am a bit worried that he doesn’t dominate shifts at all anymore. He’s gifted enough to make amazing passes and get open for goals but it’s rare that we see him undress players or be hard on the puck and hold onto it. That’s what’s been disappointing this year. It gets physical and he disappears.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Miller is great. I'm a big fan. But Mackinnon is better. Much much better.

You can swoon over him but I'm not going to.

He SHOULD be better...he was a number one pick overall. But his diving is less than spectacular. Play with integrity.

F the Avalanche. No love for them here.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

You can swoon over him but I'm not going to.

He SHOULD be better...he was a number one pick overall. But his diving is less than spectacular. Play with integrity.

Ya the issue last night I had was they did a good job against him last night then totally changed the way they were playing because they got nervous. It opened the door for Makinnon to have a great game. If they would have stayed with the game they played over the first 40 then they would have likely won. Yea refs sucked but we were still up 3-1 going into third.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

What can they do?  There are so many teams and only so many officials to ref those games, no?  They have to have refs and it's not like there's some pool of better refs black ace-ing it or something.  I've said this many times, these are literally all the best refs in the world, this is as good as it gets 

I've also said that reffing has never been this good or this unbiased.......anyone who watched hockey pre-1995 knows this.  Refs have been making bad calls since hockey was invented, deal with it and quit the incessant whining all game, every game (not you Pete, just the usual suspects).  

These are....a bunch of excuses.

In any other job, they'd have to answer for their decisions. "It's not like there's a pool of better refs" and "have been making bad calls since" indicate that they could and probably should be...better. You don't just settle in professional leagues.

Train them to be better. Make them accountable and maybe do pressers to explain why they called things the way they did. Don't let them slink out of the building and be silent. Let's hear from THEM why/how hard it is.

Players, coaches not only have to answer with pressers, they can be fined for what they say/do. Refs should have to be accountable too....

Coaches like Torts....there's huge frustration and it's not a good look on the league. But the refs go unscathed.

Whining about how hard it is for them.

At this point, I accept that they're crap...but doesn't mean I can't call it like I see it. It's not whining, it's an observation. Deal with it.

8 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

1. We don't have a gamebreaker like Mackinnon.

2. Avs played last night and were probably trying to conserve energy where they could.

3. Their core is more experienced at winning than ours. I hope we'll get to where the Avs are at some point, but we're not there yet.

Remember the 2010-11 Canucks used to do this to other teams.

This game reminds me a bit of that game when the Grizzlies played the Bulls and the game was somewhat close until Michael Jordan decided he should probably try for the last 6 minutes of the game.

Remember, they never won the cup...

it take all kind of things to align to win the cup... its the first time in 11 years we are pushing the big boys, and first time for a lot of the core players. 

They'll learn from this and get better... its a process...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya the issue last night I had was they did a good job against him last night then totally changed the way they were playing because they got nervous. It opened the door for Makinnon to have a great game. If they would have stayed with the game they played over the first 40 then they would have likely won. Yea refs sucked but we were still up 3-1 going into third.

True... they got nervous... it is a process...

Being amongst the big boys isn't easy, but they will learn from all of this... and get stronger...

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Remember, they never won the cup...

it take all kind of things to align to win the cup... its the first time in 11 years we are pushing the big boys, and first time for a lot of the core players. 

They'll learn from this and get better... its a process...

Also, MacKinnon didn't do much until the refs slanted the ice .... before that, not much there.

Miller had control of things until that POS slammed his head into the boards. 

I do agree...Petey's got to do more. He's supposed to be our game breaker and I have confidence he will be again. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't really blame them on MacK's embellishing a slash by Miller, but that really should have been a 5 minute penalty on Manson. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't really blame them on MacK's embellishing a slash by Miller, but that really should have been a 5 minute penalty on Manson. 

That was what set me off.

In a league that's been supposedly getting head shots out of the game since 1805, they have to try harder. That was a dangerous play and if Miller laid on the ice like an Av, maybe they would've been forced to get it right. They shouldn't need that help though...it was an obvious 5 minute. And to see Manson on the ice afterward was just...wrong. Give him the Myers treatment.