[PGT] Scamalanche at Canucks

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For sure. The Canucks are a good enough team to hang with the Avalanche. Some of the issues were self inflicted. You could see the crisp passing, hard forecheck, and overall physical dominance fade in the 3rd. The team will learn from this. 

Ya It might be on the coaches for changing the strategy in the third period…??? Because they seriously played a different style…

who knows eh?

yeah I was at a prayer meeting when I saw the Canucks up three nothing and I thought wow it’s in the bag they’re playing great!

I got home just before the third period started and it was 3-1 and I was like “oh no this isn’t look good they’re sitting back and they’re not playing hard anymore”

and then sure enough the third period was a gong show

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Do we have the most 5 on 3's called against us?

Hmm 

good question brother 

The other question to ask is when were these penalties called? Were they called when the Canucks were up or when they were down… In other words I want to find out how often these referees are trying to manage games and keep it close as opposed to actually officiating the game the right way… I’m not trying to control the outcome - helping the loosing team…

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Do we have the most 5 on 3's called against us?

It appears like it and we played the fewest 5 on 3 opportunity.  If PK was doing well and they call tick tack penalties, it can break a team psyche when it comes to 5 on 4 strategies and a loss of confidence and sometimes the calls is not even a penalty by itself.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If it was Kesler or Burrows or Ruutu or Cooke, or Courtnall,  what would we be saying instead?   I'm sure " Character win"   "Amazing comeback".   Douche bag moves,  have been part of hockey since i've been watching anyways.   Like to see how the refs put a circle around Nathan McKinnon's name for his dive though.    It cut's both ways.   Some of Kesler's dives were epic.   Dare anyone to google it.    Still loved the guy.   The same way i'm sure COL fans, loved NM for doing anything and everything, to give his team a chance to win.    Also think NM did us a solid.   Good luck once you've got that stank on you, it doesn't go away quickly. 

IMG_3778.png

I never liked Kesler much to be honest, he was a great player for us though. And of course this is our team so I would expect the “character win” statements you mentioned. Avs are not my team so I have to right to bitch about that gross embellishment. I mean it wasn’t a little thing, it was blatant 

• Cheers 1

Just now, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Ya It might be on the coaches for changing the strategy in the third period…??? Because they seriously played a different style…

who knows eh?

yeah I was at a prayer meeting when I saw the Canucks up three nothing and I thought wow it’s in the bag they’re playing great!

I got home just before the third period started and it was 3-1 and I was like “oh no this isn’t look good they’re sitting back and they’re not playing hard anymore”

and then sure enough the third period was a gong show

Yeah. It is what it is. The team is one of the best in the league now and they're learning how to maintain a level of consistency, especially when the games get harder. They also need to learn how to play around the absolute garbage that is the NHL officiating staff. These things take time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Kragar said:

That was a bad time for us. Kes, Burr, and even the Sedins flopped easily.

While I supported the team, and loved all 4 of these guys, it was embarrassing when they pulled that crap.

I hated when Kes pulled that crap. Loved it when Burr got away with a spear, not gonna lie. 

I kind of disagree on the Sedins tho, I don't think they did something like the hand waive Mac did last night. Maybe go down easy on a cross check? yea probably a few times but they also took a shit kicking many nights too and kept playing. McDavid e.g., has never run the gauntlet like the twins did. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Kanagan said:

He's not going to. 

Wow.   Says the Oilers fan, or the Leaf's fan?   Good grief.   Will take Bruce's word for it over most on this site, well almost everyone really.   On his way to 5-6 100 plus seasons plus this year and the one before.   Every year of his next contract maybe even.   Why do you think, he's not going to? 

13 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I would love for the day that photographer cutout be eliminated from the game altogether.   It is not needed and gave breaks to teams lucky enough to be opportunistic.  I do not understand why it is even there from the beginning in the first place.   NHL is the only sport that opens the door with breaks with cutout like that.  No other sport has breaks from out of bounds quirky If you want photograph of players, go to bench where there are no glasses there.  The game deserves a true bounce.

The solution is a situation similar to the 2020 WJHC, which had an even bigger issue with the camera.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah. It is what it is. The team is one of the best in the league now and they're learning how to maintain a level of consistency, especially when the games get harder. They also need to learn how to play around the absolute garbage that is the NHL officiating staff. These things take time.

you got some good points…

And you might wonder if the coaching staff was trying to get them to learn how to play with the lead perhaps against a tougher opponent maybe?

it was kind of like practice I don’t know? Just a thought - Not a very good one I might add…

but the Canucks would’ve done a lot better if they kept their foot on the gas… especially in front of a paying home crowd that went away from that game disappointed obviously

blowing a three goal lead is a really bad look… especially In front of the Home crowd

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I hated when Kes pulled that crap. Loved it when Burr got away with a spear, not gonna lie. 

I kind of disagree on the Sedins tho, I don't think they did something like the hand waive Mac did last night. Maybe go down easy on a cross check? yea probably a few times but they also took a shit kicking many nights too and kept playing. McDavid e.g., has never run the gauntlet like the twins did. 

You're probably right, re Sedins. I just remember a number of undeserved power plays back then. And with Burr, yeah, so many times the other team (esp Bruins) deserved what they got from him.

Worst I can recall though was Jagr and Lemieux. Bring your stick within 6 inches of their face, and they drop to the ice in no time. Truly sad, for otherwise great players.

6 minutes ago, Kanagan said:

He's trying his best now, there's no reason to think he will become a better player when he gets paid more.

He has another gear. I think one of the acquisitions in the offseason should be an upgrade on Suter for Pettersson's wing.

29 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

He did mention the inexperience. Other than Cole and Blueger, we do not have many players with alot of playoffs experience. That Bubble team was awhile ago. The problem is playing with pressure. They have a ways to go. I can see them winning a round at most. Hopefully I'm wrong.

10 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

NBA holds the ref accountable when they announced error in foul calls but NHL doesn't.  NHL needs to step up and let us know that there are wrong call that was made but doesn't really change the result but at least put ref on the spotlight for error made and the ref would be feeling embarrassed by it and do better.  That is how you hold them accountable via the neutral viewpoint by the NHL.  Even missed call need to be announced as well.  Holding the ref accountable behind the door is not the way to go because nobody knows what the league is doing behind the door, opening the door up for corruption.  There are no evidence that the league is doing something.   Telling the public that the NHL does that via the ability to work in the playoffs via the performance review is not the answer.  We need the head count of which teams that was screwed over the course of the season and compare which team that screwed up a lot more than other.  That his how you balance the accountability. The ref that worked in the playoffs do screw a certain teams over the course of the season whether teams made the playoffs or not.

Teams need a veto list.  Sutherland should not be getting Canucks games.   MacAulay should not be getting Toronto games.  Refs do need to be suspended for egregious violations, and that process needs to be public.  The league needs to stop pretending that they don't have an officiating problem.

11 minutes ago, Devron said:

I never liked Kesler much to be honest, he was a great player for us though. And of course this is our team so I would expect the “character win” statements you mentioned. Avs are not my team so I have to right to bitch about that gross embellishment. I mean it wasn’t a little thing, it was blatant 

Kesler was awesome for us.   A real warrior.   Don't find them like him much anymore either.    In 2010, he almost single handedly, dragged USA into a Gold Medal before Crosby/Iginla said no thx.    And he paid his dues.    And really had much of anything to play with along the way.   Samuelson.   Raymond.   Higgins.   Booth.  Scraps.    It's been so long since we've had two legit lines, I do believe, people have forgotten or weren't alive to understand what that looks like.    Kesler was just as important to that team, as the Sedins and Luongo were.     And no i'm not saying we have two right now either.   We've got the best we can do.   Which is awfully good for cap era. 

Sucked how things turned out but it is what it is.    It will be a long time, before we have a player that is a deserved finalist or winner of the Selke, five times in a row or so that he managed.     His fight with Iginla was also epic.     That team doesn't make it to the final without him zero chance.    Didn't take much for me to forgive his transgressions.    Which is kind of my point.   If they play on our team, it's not so bad.   If they don't then it's a deplorable transgression.   Love that we have video replays now, some of the stuff is hilarious.   NM did his in a subtle way.   A smart move, if he did more likely gets called for unsportsmanlike, which absolutely it was. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Kesler was awesome for us.   A real warrior.   Don't find them like him much anymore either.    In 2010, he almost single handedly, dragged USA into a Gold Medal before Crosby/Iginla said no thx.    And he paid his dues.    And really had much of anything to play with along the way.   Samuelson.   Raymond.   Higgins.   Booth.  Scraps.    It's been so long since we've had two legit lines, I do believe, people have forgotten or weren't alive to understand what that looks like.    Kesler was just as important to that team, as the Sedins and Luongo were.  

Sucked how things turned out but it is what it is.    It will be a long time, before we have a player that is a deserved finalist or winner of the Selke, five times in a row or so that he managed.     His fight with Iginla was also epic.     That team doesn't make it to the final without him zero chance.    Didn't take much for me to forgive his transgressions.    Which is kind of my point.   If they play on our team, it's not so bad.   If they don't then it's a deplorable transgression.   Love that we have video replays now, some of the stuff is hilarious.   NM did his in a subtle way.   A smart move, if he did more likely gets called for unsportsmanlike, which absolutely it was. 

MacKinnon isn't that type of player.  If the refs had been conducting themselves like professionals, he likely never does that.  He knew they were trying to rig the game and played along.

9 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

you got some good points…

And you might wonder if the coaching staff was trying to get them to learn how to play with the lead perhaps against a tougher opponent maybe?

it was kind of like practice I don’t know? Just a thought - Not a very good one I might add…

but the Canucks would’ve done a lot better if they kept their foot on the gas… especially in front of a paying home crowd that went away from that game disappointed obviously

blowing a three goal lead is a really bad look… especially In front of the Home crowd

First full season under Tocchet and his solid staff. These games have meaning in ways games at this time of the year didn't before, so knowing that the team is a lock for the playoffs is a great thing.