[PGT] Scamalanche at Canucks

57 minutes ago, HKSR said:

One thing the Canucks are gonna have to learn is that sportsmanship, integrity, and fair play doesn't win championships in this league.  The teams that do ANYTHING to win are the ones that usually do.

Yup, the playoffs aren't going to be squeaky clean either. Folks can fuss about reffing, embellishment, ect, but the teams who go deep find ways to overcome. 

Maybe poor calls wouldn't matter so much if we actually killed the penalties, as of today our PK is tied for 19th and we're tied for 16th in penalty minutes. Blaming the refs won't console anyone come playoff time if our special teams paired with our middle of the rode discipline lose us games.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

MacKinnon isn't that type of player.  If the refs had been conducting themselves like professionals, he likely never does that.  He knew they were trying to rig the game and played along.

Clearly, he is that type of player. He chose to embellish, so blaming his loathsome actions on the refs is nothing more than an excuse.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

MacKinnon isn't that type of player.  If the refs had been conducting themselves like professionals, he likely never does that.  He knew they were trying to rig the game and played along.

Really?   Don't thing it's an actual conspiracy.   Watched too many other teams play.   It happens.    It's just more blatant and more emotional, when it happens to us.   And Sutherland is a dirty word.    Loved Bettman "head exploding"  after a couple teams (not ours) had a series decided because of their ineptitude.    Right after saying "we have the best refs the world".    For things to get better - fire half.   That will never happen, but ever since the 2 ref system, have seen more "game management" based on the ref who's back, making stupid non-calls, then i've seen them get it right, by at least 2-1.   It's a human nature thing.   They want to "get in the game".   Or at least that's how I see it.   Not sure how the powers that be felt adding a ref and planning to keep them past the dead puck era x 2 years maybe, the "crackdown" was good for the sport.   Sure they love it though.   And much like bloated governments, they have to pretend to make themselves feel useful. 

1 hour ago, kettlevalley said:

Couple of observations from the Avs game.  

1.  Demko is in and we win that one.  Desmith was good just not Demko.  

2.  Refs were not good again.  Not horrible but not good.  Example: Call Quinn for a soft interference on the PP and don't call the Avs for the high stick on Petey on the PK later in the game.  How do you make a soft call and then not make the obvious one?  That is one example but not consistent.  

3.  Suter is not a top 6 player.  Need Pods or PDG in that spot.  

4.  Nice that Mik got a goal.  

5.  Miller was awesome.  I thought Petey was good though.  

Learn and get better.  

Just a small correction - there was no high stick on Petey, it was Miller's stick.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

To be fair, people have been talking non stop about how miller has carried the team on his shoulders since the all star break and how Petey has been so horrible.  And though I agree that miller has been great and Petey's been off, coming into last night I think there was only a 3 point difference between the two players in that span.

I'm of the opinion that the eye test is what matters more. 

Like carrying the play, exactly like what Miller did on the 2nd goal. What were seeing from Petey is a real step back in his overall play on the ice. He isn't driving his line. or really setting up chances. He's turning the puck over and squandering a rush or O-zone possession. He's constantly falling down and losing battles.

I'm really not trying to shit on Petey, but if we want to go far in the playoffs he really needs to step it up. I'm sure the coaches are working on figuring out how to put him in the best position to succeed, but he just needs to do more on the ice. 

I completely understand that putting up points is a strong metric in determining Petey's contribution to the team, but man there are lots of issues with his game that are very visible and aren't reflected in the overall points.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

I'm of the opinion that the eye test is what matters more. 

Like carrying the play, exactly like what Miller did on the 2nd goal. What were seeing from Petey is a real step back in his overall play on the ice. He isn't driving his line. or really setting up chances. He's turning the puck over and squandering a rush or O-zone possession. He's constantly falling down and losing battles.

I'm really not trying to shit on Petey, but if we want to go far in the playoffs he really needs to step it up. I'm sure the coaches are working on figuring out how to put him in the best position to succeed, but he just needs to do more on the ice. 

I completely understand that putting up points is a strong metric in determining Petey's contribution to the team, but man there are lots of issues with his game that are very visible and aren't reflected in the overall points.

The eye test is correct.   JT Miller is a line driver, EP is a game breaker.   Nothing wrong with that.   Think Linden and Bure but add some to Miller and take some away from EP, and that's what we've got right now.    Nothing at all wrong with that.   We can win a cup with these guys, and this team. 

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

People need to stop blaming the refs. Last night was the Canucks own doing. Did the refs take a penalty to go down 5-3? Did the refs make Soucy put the puck over the glass? 

It's not like Quinn Hughes to get that angry with an official. He's a master of the game. He must have seen something abnormal or unfair to the Canucks. Gotta go look.

Just now, IBatch said:

Wow.   Says the Oilers fan, or the Leaf's fan?   Good grief.   Will take Bruce's word for it over most on this site, well almost everyone really.   On his way to 5-6 100 plus seasons plus this year and the one before.   Every year of his next contract maybe even.   Why do you think, he's not going to? 

I'm glad you said over MOST on this site because we agree on that. There are a few skills EP excels at that have taken him a long way, but strength and skating ability, the things that are most difficult to neutralize, are not among them. 

6 minutes ago, Dom said:

Better tighten the fuck up. 

Well, the 4 games prior they gave up only 3 goals total.  Played well defensively and gave up very few shots. 

They were the same yesterday until the end of second and third.  Avs upped their game after getting some life after a bounce off the photographer hole in the glass. Nux didn't respond appropriately in the third, took untimely penalties. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He has another gear. I think one of the acquisitions in the offseason should be an upgrade on Suter for Pettersson's wing.

I can't remember that gear. I know that at one time I thought he would be our best player ever. I hope there's some way to make lemonade out of his contract. 

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Really?   Don't thing it's an actual conspiracy.   Watched too many other teams play.   It happens.    It's just more blatant and more emotional, when it happens to us.   And Sutherland is a dirty word.    Loved Bettman "head exploding"  after a couple teams (not ours) had a series decided because of their ineptitude.    Right after saying "we have the best refs the world".    For things to get better - fire half.   That will never happen, but ever since the 2 ref system, have seen more "game management" based on the ref who's back, making stupid non-calls, then i've seen them get it right, by at least 2-1.   It's a human nature thing.   They want to "get in the game".   Or at least that's how I see it.   Not sure how the powers that be felt adding a ref and planning to keep them past the dead puck era x 2 years maybe, the "crackdown" was good for the sport.   Sure they love it though.   And much like bloated governments, they have to pretend to make themselves feel useful. 

Combined with expansion and the 2 refs, we have guys that would be in the ECHL under the old system.  However,  the misconduct by most of these dirtbags is far too blatant to attribute to incompetence.  The BCHL is consistently officiated at a better standard than the NHL is able to achieve.  The NHLPA needs to step up in the next CBA and push for an independent body to provide officials since the NHL has proven itself to be unwilling to hold these criminals accountable. Garbage like last night is a threat to player safety.

Edited by King Heffy

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Truly. Embarrassingly one sided. If Zadorov had pasted Makar to the boards, he'd be out for 10 games. 

Big Z got suspended for 2 on that hit last time.  And it didn't look as bad.  JT needs to learn how to act like MacKinnon too. 

• Vintage 1

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-become-their-own-worst-enemy-in-third-period-collapse/

Canucks become their own worst enemy in third-period collapse

Iain MacIntyre | @imacSportsnet

March 14, 2024, 3:17 AM

VANCOUVER — Vancouver Canucks defenceman Noah Juulsen neatly summarized Valeri Nichushkin’s overtime winner Wednesday for the Colorado Avalanche like this: “Off my leg, off his head and in.”

But, Juulsen added: “I mean, we shouldn't have been in that spot to begin with.”

Nathan MacKinnon’s power-play one-timer in overtime was mostly blocked by Juulsen, but as the puck ascended roughly towards Whistler, it struck the visor of Nichushkin in front of the Vancouver net and tumbled past goalie Casey DeSmith to give the Avalanche a 4-3 win in a game the Canucks led 3-0 until the final seconds of the middle period.

That first Colorado goal, just so you know, was directed in by Mikko Rantanen’s stick with 1.8 seconds remaining after an Avalanche shoot-in was going to rim around to Juulsen but hit the photographer’s hole in the glass and bounced crazily towards the slot.

There was some bad luck to go with the dodgy calls that went against the Canucks, as their four-game winning streak ended while the Avalanche extended their run to five straight victories.

But, as Juulsen said, the Canucks never should have been in a spot where a bad call or bad bounce could cost them this game.

They led Nathan MacKinnon’s team 3-0 on home ice and were yielding next to nothing in scoring chances (and had allowed only 15 shots) prior to a defensive-zone faceoff that the Canucks actually won with 16 seconds remaining in the second period.

“That goal definitely gave them belief,” Canuck centre J.T. Miller, who scored 24 seconds into the game and set up Ilya Mikheyev’s first goal in 35 games at 2:44, lamented to reporters. “It's all that team really needed. 

“Sh-- happens though. We should be able to come up in the third, two-goal lead at home against one of the best teams in the league. I don't understand any better reason to get up for that. It just sucks. 

“This (loss) is all us. We didn’t win our battles, didn’t execute our passes. We were dumping it in for no reason. No forecheck. They outplayed us, they deserved to win.”

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-become-their-own-worst-enemy-in-third-period-collapse/

VANCOUVER — Vancouver Canucks defenceman Noah Juulsen neatly summarized Valeri Nichushkin’s overtime winner Wednesday for the Colorado Avalanche like this: “Off my leg, off his head and in.”

But, Juulsen added: “I mean, we shouldn't have been in that spot to begin with.”

Nathan MacKinnon’s power-play one-timer in overtime was mostly blocked by Juulsen, but as the puck ascended roughly towards Whistler, it struck the visor of Nichushkin in front of the Vancouver net and tumbled past goalie Casey DeSmith to give the Avalanche a 4-3 win in a game the Canucks led 3-0 until the final seconds of the middle period.

That first Colorado goal, just so you know, was directed in by Mikko Rantanen’s stick with 1.8 seconds remaining after an Avalanche shoot-in was going to rim around to Juulsen but hit the photographer’s hole in the glass and bounced crazily towards the slot.

There was some bad luck to go with the dodgy calls that went against the Canucks, as their four-game winning streak ended while the Avalanche extended their run to five straight victories.

But, as Juulsen said, the Canucks never should have been in a spot where a bad call or bad bounce could cost them this game.

They led Nathan MacKinnon’s team 3-0 on home ice and were yielding next to nothing in scoring chances (and had allowed only 15 shots) prior to a defensive-zone faceoff that the Canucks actually won with 16 seconds remaining in the second period.

“That goal definitely gave them belief,” Canuck centre J.T. Miller, who scored 24 seconds into the game and set up Ilya Mikheyev’s first goal in 35 games at 2:44, lamented to reporters. “It's all that team really needed. 

“Sh-- happens though. We should be able to come up in the third, two-goal lead at home against one of the best teams in the league. I don't understand any better reason to get up for that. It just sucks. 

“This (loss) is all us. We didn’t win our battles, didn’t execute our passes. We were dumping it in for no reason. No forecheck. They outplayed us, they deserved to win.”

Succinct and to the point. Thank goodness for McIntyre.

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Key quote ...

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Key quote ...

Amen to that. 

But I still think they should get rid of that photographer hole in the glass.   

• Vintage 1