[PGT] Scamalanche at Canucks

some random observations:

Overall - there were chunks of that game that had a playoff atmosphere. What an amazing thing to be able to say this spring, we are headed for the playoffs. We are pissed about losing in OT on the PK to a Stanley cup contender/favorite with some of the worlds best players on it, this is good, this is a good place to be.

Hughes interference call was BS given a play like that happens multiple times a period in most NHL games. The drop pass and interference between offensive red line and blue line is just how hockey is now... that was total game management from the refs/league...but that happens in every game, we want the American markets to keep tuning in. 

1st goal was a blown dump in play, that's why you cannot give up goals in the last minute of a period- totally changes the momentum.

The "high stick" on Petey - that was JT Miller's stick 

The JT Miller hook was a soft call but again, game management...and total embellishment by Mckinnon, tbh both players should have been sent off if they are going to call JT on that while already down a man - that would have settled things down a bit, but the stars get calls especially on good American teams who are trailing in a game.

Canucks totally lost the forecheck in the third, and had trouble clearing it, their wingers I think struggled to win battles and clear pucks

De Smith played great, having Demko in there instead does not change the outcome.

Hughes got high sticked which was an egregious miss

Soucy - Billy Madison says "you blew it."

Small thing but at this level man do I hate it - Blueggsey wins FO in OT to Juulsen and he just fires it down the ice right away... of course they are killing a penalty but the last thing you want then is for COL to have the puck... imo if they start some better players in OT who can try to keep the puck a bit then who knows, but the mentality of just handing the puck to COL immediately was silly... circle back in your own end and for CO to come get you then shoot it down the ice or maybe CO makes a mistake and you spring blueggsey... whatever hindsight but not smart by Juulsen 

• Upvote 1

Gotta remember that this season is the breakout year for our canucks 

The avs have been a top team for quite some time now.

Growing pains, on to the next.

My biggest concern is Petey's inconsistency. These disappearing acts have to stop.

Edited by Breadnbutta
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

One thing the Canucks are gonna have to learn is that sportsmanship, integrity, and fair play doesn't win championships in this league.  The teams that do ANYTHING to win are the ones that usually do.

Bang on. I've been saying this for years on here. It's exactly why I keep saying we can't play weak west coast hippie hockey.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-become-their-own-worst-enemy-in-third-period-collapse/

Canucks become their own worst enemy in third-period collapse

Iain MacIntyre | @imacSportsnet

March 14, 2024, 3:17 AM

VANCOUVER — Vancouver Canucks defenceman Noah Juulsen neatly summarized Valeri Nichushkin’s overtime winner Wednesday for the Colorado Avalanche like this: “Off my leg, off his head and in.”

But, Juulsen added: “I mean, we shouldn't have been in that spot to begin with.”

Nathan MacKinnon’s power-play one-timer in overtime was mostly blocked by Juulsen, but as the puck ascended roughly towards Whistler, it struck the visor of Nichushkin in front of the Vancouver net and tumbled past goalie Casey DeSmith to give the Avalanche a 4-3 win in a game the Canucks led 3-0 until the final seconds of the middle period.

That first Colorado goal, just so you know, was directed in by Mikko Rantanen’s stick with 1.8 seconds remaining after an Avalanche shoot-in was going to rim around to Juulsen but hit the photographer’s hole in the glass and bounced crazily towards the slot.

There was some bad luck to go with the dodgy calls that went against the Canucks, as their four-game winning streak ended while the Avalanche extended their run to five straight victories.

But, as Juulsen said, the Canucks never should have been in a spot where a bad call or bad bounce could cost them this game.

They led Nathan MacKinnon’s team 3-0 on home ice and were yielding next to nothing in scoring chances (and had allowed only 15 shots) prior to a defensive-zone faceoff that the Canucks actually won with 16 seconds remaining in the second period.

“That goal definitely gave them belief,” Canuck centre J.T. Miller, who scored 24 seconds into the game and set up Ilya Mikheyev’s first goal in 35 games at 2:44, lamented to reporters. “It's all that team really needed. 

“Sh-- happens though. We should be able to come up in the third, two-goal lead at home against one of the best teams in the league. I don't understand any better reason to get up for that. It just sucks. 

“This (loss) is all us. We didn’t win our battles, didn’t execute our passes. We were dumping it in for no reason. No forecheck. They outplayed us, they deserved to win.”

At least the players know it's on them, knowing that is the first step to correcting things. 

It's a tough loss, but it's better to get a kick in the pants now than it would be come playoff time. They still have time to tighten things up before then, that's a positive.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Devron said:

Like to see Silovs get a game or two. I’m guessing they’ll run Desmith pretty much though as the schedule is great 

I'm guessing we will see Silovs at some point. We may even see lovs. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

If it was Kesler or Burrows or Ruutu or Cooke, or Courtnall,  what would we be saying instead?   I'm sure " Character win"   "Amazing comeback".   Douche bag moves,  have been part of hockey since i've been watching anyways.   Like to see how the refs put a circle around Nathan McKinnon's name for his dive though.    It cut's both ways.   Some of Kesler's dives were epic.   Dare anyone to google it.    Still loved the guy.   The same way i'm sure COL fans, loved NM for doing anything and everything, to give his team a chance to win.    Also think NM did us a solid.   Rather he try that against us in the regular season.. now they will be looking for it.  

Also 5 x 5 reigns supreme in the post season.   Our team knows that.   So does the rest of the league.    

IMG_3778.png

My east coast friends and family hated the Canucks for this. Called us a bunch of cheating divers. Funny how it's ok when other teams do it.

We need more edge like Kes and Burr. 

I kind of had a crazy idea I’m sure no one has time for this but be kind of cool to set up kind of a place where we would all go - some pub somewhere and watch the Canucks play

just have like a thing like that set up…

a tradition…

your thoughts?

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

At least the players know it's on them, knowing that is the first step to correcting things. 

It's a tough loss, but it's better to get a kick in the pants now than it would be come playoff time. They still have time to tighten things up before then, that's a positive.

Good perspective. Through all the emotion and negativity, we got a point with our backup. They know exactly what they need to fix. Especially when they have/had such a great record when leading after two periods.

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It seemed to me that they started to manage the clock at 3-0 as if they had the game. You can’t let good teams hang around like that though.

Thats the difference between a good team and a great team. Those great teams put you away when they have a chance. I remember those great Chicago teams where when they were up 2-3 nothing that’s when they came at you the hardest. They smelled blood in the water and knew when teams were rattled. That’s when they struck.

This team has gotta find that killer instinct when they’re in those situations. When you have a team on the ropes you have to bury them not let up.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

If it's any consolation, MacKinnon said that was the best game of the season for the Avs.  They acknowledged that the Canucks are a "very, very" good team.

Many teams are acknowledging that and have had to play catch up to us by making moves. We need to tighten our game. Get meaner physically and mentally and stay mean. Not let our foot off the gas. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think they know they can lock up a playoff spot on this home stand. Once that's done I think they'll be playing a lot more loosely and composed. 

Over analyzing this game is just incredibly stupid. But that's what Canucks nation does.

We had a 2 then 3 goal lead extremely early on a good team. The rest was just the minutia of typical hockey game. Momentum shifts from the leader to the chaser. Toss in a couple penalties and some bad reffing and this is what happens. We got the point. 

So who cares. We could have easily been the chaser and the winner if the roles were reversed. No need to moan and cry about it.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Good perspective. Through all the emotion and negativity, we got a point with our backup. They know exactly what they need to fix. Especially when they have/had such a great record when leading after two periods.

Ain't the end of the world, shit happens. We'll go around in circles on social media discussing hockey and it won't change a thing, thankfully what will amount to actual change is the players calling a spade a spade and committing to improving upon things. 

Every NHL fanbase complains about the refs and sometimes thinks they're out to get them. And hell, maybe sometimes they are, but top teams find ways to work through adversity at the end of the day. Every championship team does. 

We let a game slip away against a team that's been a powerhouse for at least a few years now, one that won a cup, and got a point out of it. Credit to the Avs, they found a way to win. I've said it for a while, we're a franchise that's either been a bottom feeder or mediocre for a long stretch, jumping from that to being a top team without growing pains was never realistic, we're still experiencing growing pains. But that's something that comes with growth and development. 

We'll make the playoffs, in my eyes that'll make the season a success regardless of what happens come playoff times, largely in part because we've struggled to simply make the dance for years. Regardless of how things go it'll be a stepping stone season so long as we continue to make the playoffs regularly going forward. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It seemed to me that they started to manage the clock at 3-0 as if they had the game. You can’t let good teams hang around like that though.

Thats the difference between a good team and a great team. Those great teams put you away when they have a chance. I remember those great Chicago teams where when they were up 2-3 nothing that’s when they came at you the hardest. They smelled blood in the water and knew when teams were rattled. That’s when they struck.

This team has gotta find that killer instinct when they’re in those situations. When you have a team on the ropes you have to bury them not let up.

We've been writing and reading this over and over for years, seems easier to say than do. Can't afford to let up, if that means trying to score ten goals a night try and score ten goals a night. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Over analyzing this game is just incredibly stupid. But that's what Canucks nation does.

We had a 2 then 3 goal lead extremely early on a good team. The rest was just the minutia of typical hockey game. Momentum shifts from the leader to the chaser. Toss in a couple penalties and some bad reffing and this is what happens. We got the point. 

So who cares. We could have easily been the chaser and the winner if the roles were reversed. No need to moan and cry about it.

So, analyzing the overanalyzing does what?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

geez, you don't need to troll us with AV's fan tweets 😂

Mad Salt Shaker GIF by Animanias

It's funny how Avs fans were getting all their "deserve to win" cope ready because they expected to lose. And they almost did. 

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

What are these boards for then...?

It would boring AF if we all came here and said "Good game, gettem next time..."

You act like we can't have an opinion. 

Go back to the white noise page and tell em what youtube video you watched last... lol

Edited by DarthMelvin
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So, analyzing the overanalyzing does what?

Im not analyzing anything. Ever heard of that saying "3 goal lead is the most dangerous lead in hockey"? That was the game. Not much else has to be said. 

plenty of blame to go around. 

Bleuger, Cole, Soucy, all had a tough games.  EP line was neutralized. 

DeSmith was fine though. Can't really fault him on any of the goals, esp PK.  

Edited by Jaimito

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ain't the end of the world, shit happens. We'll go around in circles on social media discussing hockey and it won't change a thing, thankfully what will amount to actual change is the players calling a spade a spade and committing to improving upon things. 

Every NHL fanbase complains about the refs and sometimes thinks they're out to get them. And hell, maybe sometimes they are, but top teams find ways to work through adversity at the end of the day. Every championship team does. 

We let a game slip away against a team that's been a powerhouse for at least a few years now, one that won a cup, and got a point out of it. Credit to the Avs, they found a way to win. I've said it for a while, we're a franchise that's either been a bottom feeder or mediocre for a long stretch, jumping from that to being a top team without growing pains was never realistic, we're still experiencing growing pains. But that's something that comes with growth and development. 

We'll make the playoffs, in my eyes that'll make the season a success regardless of what happens come playoff times, largely in part because we've struggled to simply make the dance for years. Regardless of how things go it'll be a stepping stone season so long as we continue to make the playoffs regularly going forward. 

We've been writing and reading this over and over for years, seems easier to say than do. Can't afford to let up, if that means trying to score ten goals a night try and score ten goals a night. 

The question I have is was the team directed to change the way they were playing between the 2nd and 3rd or was it player driven? 

Either way, there's a coaching failure in there somewhere

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jaimito said:

plenty of blame to go around. 

Bleuger, Cole, Soucy, all has tough games.  EP line was neutralized. 

DeSmith was fine though. Can't really fault him on any of the goals, esp PK.  

I love Juuls, but that one was on him.  He had MR right in front of him, in full sight, he should have neutralized his stick.  EL could have blocked the shot, but I think he thought CD had the play on it and as a skater, you don't start playing the puck that close to the crease if the goalie has a play on it.

Thats the only goal I think might have been different if Demko was in net

21 minutes ago, Pears said:

I think they know they can lock up a playoff spot on this home stand. Once that's done I think they'll be playing a lot more loosely and composed. 

Maybe, it's hard to say. Sometimes things just go sideways. But yeah, maybe actually clinching will help ease some sort of mental pressure. 

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

The question I have is was the team directed to change the way they were playing between the 2nd and 3rd or was it player driven? 

Either way, there's a coaching failure in there somewhere

It's a good question, how much is on the players and how much is on the coaching staff. 

But to my previous point, this is also Tocchet's first full season as a head coach since 20-21 and it's not as if he's ever coached a team with expectations this high before. Hell, his only playoff appearance was with a Coyotes squad that finished 5th in the Pacific (and potentially only because it was a Covid shortened season). 

More than likely it's growing pains for both the head coach and some of the players on the roster who haven't tasted a whole lot of team success. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1