[PGT] Scamalanche at Canucks

7 minutes ago, FlippersUp said:

I loved about the Canucks Lappierre, Burr, Ruutu, Cooke as a Canuck. Pestilence has always been a canuck calling card.  

Not sure why but Lappy, Burr, Ruutu, I like and respected them. They played with an edge. Cooke on the other hand got really dirty the further into his career.

I didn't like Cooke or Kesler very much especially once they left the team.

1 hour ago, Kanagan said:

He's trying his best now, there's no reason to think he will become a better player when he gets paid more.

Fact is, he will be a year older in his development and likely have better linemate(s), so yeah,

he will get better and continue each season for a few years after that.

Mackinnon passed the +100pt mark when he was 27yrs old and again at 28yrs.

Pettersson passed the +100pt mark when he was 24yrs and likely again this season.

During this time, Mack has had superior linemates.  How would he do with:  Hogs/Mack/Suter?

Mack always has Makar/Towes as his defensive pair; while Petey rarely has Hughes/Hronek

when playing 5 on 5.

I doubt that EP will ever be the player that Mack (who was a 1oa pick, after all) has become,

but he will certainly continue to develop his game and become an elite C. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

The funny thing is Lindholm is the polar opposite of Kuz.

He's defensively responsible, wins face offs, but still works hard. He's just not scoring. Look at last night. He had a golden chance and missed.

Kuz was a free spirit, and had offensive flair, but no defensive acumen.

The good news is we continue to win the 5 on 5 battles. We outscored them 3-2 5 on 5.

But still our special teams have been an area of weakness. Going 0 for on the powerplay coupled with giving up two on the pk is not a recipes for success.

Ideally we figure out both for the playoffs, but if we’ve gotta make sure one area is dialed in it’s the pk. Luckily I think Joshua and Myers will be a big boost there. And of course Demko is a big part of that equation.

Would be nice if our powerplay got hot right at the right time though.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

The funny thing is Lindholm is the polar opposite of Kuz.

He's defensively responsible, wins face offs, but still works hard. He's just not scoring. Look at last night. He had a golden chance and missed.

Kuz was a free spirit, and had offensive flair, but no defensive acumen.

Lindholm doesn't make people feel good.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Colorado and Vegas didn't become championship teams overhight.

It took them multiple years of resounding regular season success followed by post-season choke jobs. Don't be surprised if the Canucks are at the very beginning of those growing pains. Just be happy we're trending positively and well on our way.

Some people's expectations here are insane. We were basement dwellers just last year. 

Well we could hope we did what Vegas did at least.   I don't think they did a choke job, aside from two years ago when their entire core was injured (Eichel traded).    COL.   Well doubt they win another cup.    Gretzky couldn't do it, neither will NM on mostly his own. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The good news is we continue to win the 5 on 5 battles. We outscored them 3-2 5 on 5.

But still our special teams have been an area of weakness. Going 0 for on the powerplay coupled with giving up two on the pk is not a recipes for success.

Ideally we figure out both for the playoffs, but if we’ve gotta make sure one area is dialed in it’s the pk. Luckily I think Joshua and Myers will be a big boost there. And of course Demko is a big part of that equation.

Would be nice if our powerplay got hot right at the right time though.

I'm way more happy 5 x 5 works, then special teams been mediocre then the other way around.    Post season, the whistles get put away (eventually anyways).    For sure both would be ideal. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Fact is, he will be a year older in his development and likely have better linemate(s), so yeah,

Pettersson passed the +100pt mark when he was 24yrs and likely again this season.

During this time, Mack has had superior linemates.  How would he do with:  Hogs/Mack/Suter?

Mack always has Makar/Towes as his defensive pair; while Petey rarely has Hughes/Hronek

when playing 5 on 5.

I doubt that EP will ever be the player that Mack (who was a 1oa pick, after all) has become,

Cross our fingers.

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'm way more happy 5 x 5 works, then special teams being mediocre then the other way around. 

Oh for sure that wins you alot of games especially in the playoffs when less stuff is called. 

And you can always be more disciplined with your stick and avoid going shorthanded.

But in a tight 7 game series special teams can often be the difference maker. Gotta have one side at least rolling at a respectable clip.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Oh for sure that wins you alot of games especially in the playoffs when less stuff is called. 

And you can always be more displaced with your stick and avoid going shorthanded.

But in a tight 7 game series special teams can often be the difference maker. Gotta have one side at least rolling at a respectable clip.

You bet.   We need both clicking to win a cup.   Happy that most of the year, 5 x 5, we've been solid.   Really solid.   And think that's going to pay dividends, the further and deeper we go. 

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, kilgore said:

That bugged me as well.  There were 3 less players on the ice surface.  Whether they had one more player or not.  There was enough room to hog the puck a little first.  And maybe even go for a shorty.   Don't just dump the puck like its mid game 5 on 4.

But the two players I was not pleased with were Suter and Lindholm.  Suter is just not talented enough to hang with Petey.  He had more than one chance with that line die on his stick.  I think a lot of Petey's funk can be traced to playing with Suter. That's just not working.

And Lindholm.  I am biting my tongue not to say he's been a disaster.  At least for the what we paid and for what we expected from him. Such a weak player on the boards. Its like the game has sped up and he's slowed down. He was most responsible for not checking the stick of Rantanen's 3-1 goal. 

Its one thing to say, as Allvin did, that they are okay with Lindholm just ending up being a rental.  But its another if that rental does squat for you.   I never did understand the high price for a player who showed that he was only effective when being carried by more talented players. An older European player, reaching 30, who showed signs of decline the year before. Been there done that.

The price we paid was for was a line-driving elite center for the top 6.  I think that flirtation with Petey on the wing was their original plan. But Lindholm is clearly a step behind what they thought they had. Its been long enough to get acclimatized.  I hope I'm wrong and he finds his mojo.  But right now, I'm not so sure that keeping our first round pick, Brzustewicz, and working more with Kuzmenko as another scoring threat for us would have made us any worse.

Lindholm won some big faceoffs las night, especially against Nate the Great.  That's incredibly important come playoff time.

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

when playing 5 on 5.

Excellent questions. Petey will get better with maturity. There's no doubt about that. It's just what aspects of his game.

The one I'm looking at is Hoglander. He's this good now, getting better, and not even in his prime yet.

So, both Petey and Hoglander are on an upward trajectory in growth. That bodes well for them on a future line.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And you can always be more disciplined with your stick and avoid going shorthanded.

While I agree, the numbers tell us more stuff is called in the playoffs, making the special teams even more important 

43 minutes ago, Pears said:

Is that what happened when we completely neutralized LA/Vegas/Winnipeg last week?

Nicely put - think some here are getting pretty hard on the players - when the Avs are on, they make most teams look ordinary to bad - if anything, the regular season is also about learning what works or not against certain teams - I find those three teams you quoted similar in style to each other whereas COL is probably similar to EDM and TOR

If and when we play these offensive juggernaut teams, may want to change our strategy a bit when defending a lead - what works with grinding heavy cycle teams may not work as well against offensive impact teams.

Just Win.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Good point about the other fanbases. It's interesting when you pop into other forums. The issues and language patterns are oftentimes identical. Especially regarding the refs and officiating. We most definitely are not the only ones who feel this way. The thing for me runs a bit deeper when it comes to the emotions we see on here. I find real life bleeds into what we see because many people feel they get the short end of the stick on a daily basis and these tough losses influenced by the officiating only amplifies what's already simmering inside. But that is a whole different, deeper issue altogether.

Also agree about Bruce. The Green era became far too negative and Bruce was a breath of fresh air. This fanbase actually needed someone to have fun with and care about ... and that was Bruce. That was important in all of this. It was one of the most memorable, feel good periods for the team. It was certainly important in making everyone, including players, feel good again.

We're just beginning our window into the playoffs. I know conventional thought is that we need a few playoff runs before we make the big show but I'm curious if that has changed and if that window of taking a few runs has gotten even shorter in this cap era and parity.

Emotion and hockey is a weird thing, once upon a time I used to take the results of a Canuck game very personally and it'd affect my day or evening. Some folks feel an intimate parasocial connection to the Canucks, but I found it wasn't actually any good for me. I found I actually enjoyed the Canucks more when I detached and began paying more attention to the rest of the league, because then I could just enjoy engaging with the sport without so much of the personal investment. Some folks would rather ride that emotional roller-coaster. I think most fanbases, including those of teams who've recently won cups, often feel things aren't going their way. 

Just ask Pens fans how things have gone since they last won, or Blues fans, or Caps fans, or even Bolts fans who are starting to experience some of their inevitable drop-off. The Avs are a bit different, if anything they've maintained momentum, but I guarantee you they gripe about things as well. Vegas is a bit of an anomaly in that they've been a darling from the get-go, but they won't be able to weasel away from the lows forever. 

Bruce doesn't get enough credit imo, it was telling that neither Pettersson or Hughes PK'd much til he gave them a shot. A lot of players had a lot of individual success with him at the helm, and even things going sideways towards the end lead us to where we are now. If this team wins a cup sooner than later more than likely his impact will have played a part. 

Hard to say, but if anything cap realities make the balancing act of trying to go for it while building for the future even more important. Even this trade deadline didn't really see a flurry of top picks being moved, the same could be said of last year's deadline. Teams are more reluctant to mortgage the future now because being a playoff regular is so important imo, being able to draft, develop, and integrate your own talent is key to maintaining a window under the constraints of the cap. Even Toronto opted to keep their 1st for once. 

The Knights have been balls to the wall since entering the league, they're an anomaly. The Avs pushed their chips in and got a cup out of it, they've got one of the weaker prospect pools in the league because of it, but more than likely they won't fall off sooner than later given how they're built. Edmonton is desperately trying to win a cup before the McDavid and Draisaitl extensions make it harder to do. But by and large I think teams are growing more pragmatic regarding mortgaging their futures to try and go deep. 

3 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Nicely put - think some here are getting pretty hard on the players - when the Avs are on, they make most teams look ordinary to bad - if anything, the regular season is also about learning what works or not against certain teams - I find those three teams you quoted similar in style to each other whereas COL is probably similar to EDM and TOR

If and when we play these offensive juggernaut teams, may want to change our strategy a bit when defending a lead - what works with grinding heavy cycle teams may not work as well against offensive impact teams.

Just Win.jpg

I think it's the obvious change in the style of play that is the issue for most people.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

While I agree, the numbers tell us more stuff is called in the playoffs, making the special teams even more important 

Maybe in the first round?

Second round and on though? I’d be surprised.

30 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Colorado and Vegas didn't become championship teams overhight.

It took them multiple years of resounding regular season success followed by post-season choke jobs. Don't be surprised if the Canucks are at the very beginning of those growing pains. Just be happy we're trending positively and well on our way.

Some people's expectations here are insane. We were basement dwellers just last year. 

Great post KHF.  Looking at the contending teams, the 1st thing you realize is that it takes

years to build one and even longer if you want it to be lasting.

I commented at the beginning of this season, that I would be happy if the Canucks made it

to the playoffs and ecstatic if they got to the 2nd round.  I still believe that they need playoff

experience in order to develop into a contending team.  Of course, they have taken a huge

leap this year, but the lack of playoff like games is showing in matchups like the one last

night.  They need to understand that there is still much to learn and more adjustments in

adding the right pieces that fit.  I want the Canucks to become a team, that not only wins

a cup, but becomes a contender for years to come.

They have to eat their dinner before they can have their dessert.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Im not analyzing anything. Ever heard of that saying "3 goal lead is the most dangerous lead in hockey"? That was the game. Not much else has to be said. 

Bingo! Analyzing the overanalyzing is the most dangerous lead to the overanalyzers. 😉

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

geez, you don't need to troll us with AV's fan tweets 😂

Mad Salt Shaker GIF by Animanias

Not trolling. Just posting the who wins meter I saw, thought it was interesting. Thought we controlled most of the game up until the 3rd. 

Edited by Dom