[PGT] Scamalanche at Canucks

57 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Emotion and hockey is a weird thing, once upon a time I used to take the results of a Canuck game very personally and it'd affect my day or evening. Some folks feel an intimate parasocial connection to the Canucks, but I found it wasn't actually any good for me. I found I actually enjoyed the Canucks more when I detached and began paying more attention to the rest of the league, because then I could just enjoy engaging with the sport without so much of the personal investment. Some folks would rather ride that emotional roller-coaster. I think most fanbases, including those of teams who've recently won cups, often feel things aren't going their way. 

Just ask Pens fans how things have gone since they last won, or Blues fans, or Caps fans, or even Bolts fans who are starting to experience some of their inevitable drop-off. The Avs are a bit different, if anything they've maintained momentum, but I guarantee you they gripe about things as well. Vegas is a bit of an anomaly in that they've been a darling from the get-go, but they won't be able to weasel away from the lows forever. 

Bruce doesn't get enough credit imo, it was telling that neither Pettersson or Hughes PK'd much til he gave them a shot. A lot of players had a lot of individual success with him at the helm, and even things going sideways towards the end lead us to where we are now. If this team wins a cup sooner than later more than likely his impact will have played a part. 

Hard to say, but if anything cap realities make the balancing act of trying to go for it while building for the future even more important. Even this trade deadline didn't really see a flurry of top picks being moved, the same could be said of last year's deadline. Teams are more reluctant to mortgage the future now because being a playoff regular is so important imo, being able to draft, develop, and integrate your own talent is key to maintaining a window under the constraints of the cap. Even Toronto opted to keep their 1st for once. 

The Knights have been balls to the wall since entering the league, they're an anomaly. The Avs pushed their chips in and got a cup out of it, they've got one of the weaker prospect pools in the league because of it, but more than likely they won't fall off sooner than later given how they're built. Edmonton is desperately trying to win a cup before the McDavid and Draisaitl extensions make it harder to do. But by and large I think teams are growing more pragmatic regarding mortgaging their futures to try and go deep. 

Yeah, it's been a long time since I took any of this personally. I mean, it's also different to those who have played the game in understanding the rhythms and dynamics of why things happen the way they happen. Good on you for recognizing that it wasn't good for you. The circular emotion of it all isn't healthy. Especially on that intimate insular level. It is way more healthy to be detached. You see more as an observer from different angles than being an active participant the silo of your emotions. You can actually remove yourself and watch the roller-coaster go by while still enjoying the ride.

Good point about Vegas. The pendulum will swing the other way. It always does, so they will be in for the lows. Will be interesting when that happens after years of people saying and thinking that market won't be able to handle losing. That will be put to the test at some point. And all of this applies to the Bruins, too ... it will happen and I can't wait. That's what I lean on is the knowing of the ebb and flow that oftentimes those on top will eventually be those looking up at the ones they once beat. This is why we all need to be grateful for this management because they actually know how to get us there out of years of suffering to being a winner.

The biggest impact of Bruce and his legacy is that amazing turnaround and valiant run toward the playoffs. I mean, that really was an amazing run. What that did was show not only the fanbase that we were better than the negativity and negative perceptions but also it showed the players what they were capable of accomplishing ... that the impossible really was possible if they had more runway.

It feels like something's changing given cap realities and parity. Especially given what you say about this past deadline and the reluctance to mortgage the future. I think we may see shorter playoff run windows in the short term but longer multiple runs when those held picks eventually develop. Will be interesting. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

38 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Man, it's unbelievable that we have Tocchet, Foote, and both Sedins in there on these drills. They really are learning from the best.

So, which is it ... they come to blows or almost come to blows. lol 

Either way, it's not a bad thing. We need guys to channel that intensity into games.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Colorado and Vegas didn't become championship teams overhight.

It took them multiple years of resounding regular season success followed by post-season choke jobs. Don't be surprised if the Canucks are at the very beginning of those growing pains. Just be happy we're trending positively and well on our way.

Some people's expectations here are insane. We were basement dwellers just last year. 

Bingo.... we have a winner...

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Man, it's unbelievable that we have Tocchet, Foote, and both Sedins in there on these drills. They really are learning from the best.

So, which is it ... they come to blows or almost come to blows. lol 

Either way, it's not a bad thing. We need guys to channel that intensity into games.

Yeah... let them show they actually care... no problem at all with that... far better than the country club atmosphere...

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The funny thing is Lindholm is the polar opposite of Kuz.

He's defensively responsible, wins face offs, but still works hard. He's just not scoring. Look at last night. He had a golden chance and missed.

Kuz was a free spirit, and had offensive flair, but no defensive acumen.

Lindholm was responsible for goals last night. I don't want to trash him but he needs to be better. Sure he was carried by star players in Calgary. But we have star players. And if he plays with them , he should be better than this 

Edited by Blue
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Yeah... let them show they actually care... no problem at all with that... far better than the country club atmosphere...

Exactly! Can't be hugging it out after last night's third period.

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Owning up is awsome. Way to go EP

The stark contrast with MacKinnon was evident when the game was on the line, PP etc.  Pro hockey players are extremely competitive.  QH is also very conscientious of how he plays vs Makar.  JT as well. 

EP will learn and get his game to that next level. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Refs weren’t great, but it’s such a classic Canucks fan move to blame our bullshit play on the refs. 
We lost that game.  
They started great, then stood back and let Mac take over.  
Is Mackinnon a bitch?   Yup. 
Is he also an insanely great hockey player?  Hell yeah.  
We blew it and he said thanks.  

You are aware as fans we can hold our players AND the refs accountable right? They’re not mutually exclusive… 

The Canucks let the foot off the gas but soft calls on Cole and Hughes while not calling 5 and a game on Manson and missing a blatant high stick on Pettersson exacerbated the issues. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

You are aware as fans we can hold our players AND the refs accountable right? They’re not mutually exclusive… 

The Canucks let the foot off the gas but soft calls on Cole and Hughes while not calling 5 and a game on Manson and missing a blatant high stick on Pettersson exacerbated the issues. 

Yeah.  I said the refs weren’t good……

but that isn’t the reason we lost.  
We blew a 3 goal lead.   Plain and simple.  
Instead of going for the kill, they sat back and let MacKinnon have his way with them.  
The guy is the best player in the world. 
Why the fuck would you say “3 goals is good, let’s give him some room to play”. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

It was Miller's stick that hit Pettersson. They did miss a high stick on Hughes though in the last 5 mins... We may have actually been on the PP iirc, which would have given us a 5on3