[PGT] Scamalanche at Canucks

Just now, D.B Cooper said:

Yeah.  I said the refs weren’t good……

but that isn’t the reason we lost.  
We blew a 3 goal lead.   Plain and simple.  
Instead of going for the kill, they sat back and let MacKinnon have his way with them.  
The guy is the best player in the world. 
Why the fuck would you say “3 goals is good, let’s give him some room to play”. 

And you don't think 5 on 3’s from 2 phantom calls had nothing to do with that? Lmao. 

• ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

It was Miller's stick that hit Pettersson. They did miss a high stick on Hughes though in the last 5 mins... We may have actually been on the PP iirc, which would have given us a 5on3

No an Av hit him in the face with a cross check before Miller’s stick caught him. 

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd think that Zadorov is one of the three FAs over Myers. 

Big Z, Myers, Dak would be my 3. I love Blueger but I doub't the money will work. Cole,Lafferty, Lindy can walk. We should try to bring back De Smith.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Emotion and hockey is a weird thing, once upon a time I used to take the results of a Canuck game very personally and it'd affect my day or evening. Some folks feel an intimate parasocial connection to the Canucks, but I found it wasn't actually any good for me. I found I actually enjoyed the Canucks more when I detached and began paying more attention to the rest of the league, because then I could just enjoy engaging with the sport without so much of the personal investment. Some folks would rather ride that emotional roller-coaster. I think most fanbases, including those of teams who've recently won cups, often feel things aren't going their way. 

This is an interesting topic.  It should have its own OP and thread. 

I also used to get very emotional with every win or loss even during the first part of the season.

There are many factors. One is just growing up and realizing how many more important things there are in the world.  From your family to the state of the planet. One is just that its not healthy, emotionally. A loss would ruin the whole next day's mood.

Now having said all that, I think some of it is because we have sucked for so long.  The bubble playoff run was sweet, but just not as intense without the crowds. Fact is, there wasn't many games in the last decade that I even could get emotionally drained from.

We are now going to enter the playoffs again. Not bubble playoffs after a weird year with mixed up divisions. As well, there are high expectations for this team.  No excuses like in 82 and 94 about being underdogs.

So, speaking for myself, I predict I'll be an emotional  wreck once again by the end of April.  Regular season is one thing, playoff angst is another level to try and supress.  Should probably take a meditation course before then.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, FlippersUp said:

Big Z, Myers, Dak would be my 3. I love Blueger but I doub't the money will work. Cole,Lafferty, Lindy can walk. We should try to bring back De Smith.

I think I'd agree with you there. The size and experience they bring is invaluable. Zadorov at $4.5M for 5 years, Joshua at $3.5M for 5 years, and Myers at $2M for 3 years works for me. I think that Blueger might take a haircut, but then again, winning a Cup has its benefits when it comes to AAV.

40 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No an Av hit him in the face with a cross check before Miller’s stick caught him. 

I noticed that too.

He did actually take a stick from the Avs player before Miller's stick hit him. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Tocchet the truth teller, honest, accountable, not swinging to wild, reckless emotion, and negative energy while also working deliberately in practice on what it takes to not take penalties.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Tocchet the truth teller, honest, accountable, not swinging to wild, reckless emotion, and negative energy while also working deliberately in practice on what it takes to not take penalties.

Sure would have liked to see today's practice. I reckon High tempo would have been the order of the day.

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, kilgore said:

that's a mindset a lot of fans should try and follow too.

So you're saying the PGT should be closed at midnight after the game? That would definitely end a lot of complaining after losses.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I agree with this part, but I'd argue the context of MacKinnon.

MacKinnon took a while to get going, but he also stepped into the league at 18. It's true that MacKinnon didn't break 100 til 2022-23, but he's been on pace for 100+ since 17-18.

17-18 saw him put up 97 in 74, 18-19 was 99 in 82, 19-20 was 93 in 69, 20-21 was 65 in 48, 21-22 was 88 in 65, and last season was finally 111 in 71. Makar wasn't really a factor til 19-20, Nate had put up almost back to back 100 point seasons prior to him being a factor. Toews wasn't an Av at all til 20-21. 

Nate's most consistent top tier running mates have been Rantanen and Landeskog, but he also blew tf up in his own right. MacKinnon and Rantanen elevate each other, they both make players around them better. If anything it's disappointing that the closest thing Pettersson's had to that thus far is his playing with Miller, which isn't to disparage Miller, it just speaks more to the talent levels of the Canucks teams he came up on. 

A frequent gripe when it comes to Pettersson is that we've never been able to find him his staple running mate, management probably thought they might when Kuzmenko blew up but it didn't pan out beyond the one season. Maybe Lekkerimaki will step in, blow us all away, and be that guy. 

Lindholm doesn't have the emotion to rev Pettersson's motor up. I think the Canucks were counting on that. Doesn't even come close unfortuanely.

Edited by Rip The Mesh
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

Yeah.  I said the refs weren’t good……

but that isn’t the reason we lost.  
We blew a 3 goal lead.   Plain and simple.  
Instead of going for the kill, they sat back and let MacKinnon have his way with them.  
The guy is the best player in the world. 
Why the fuck would you say “3 goals is good, let’s give him some room to play”.

I said it in the GDT, although I thought the hooking call was weak, (it was technically a hook, but that sort of call is rarely made with a team already shorthanded) the Canucks need to look no further that some horrible clearing attempts for the reason that they lost.

IMO, the biggest play in the game came just before the end of the second. The Canucks weren't able to take advantage of an opportunity to get the puck out of the zone and the Avs capitalized with 2 seconds left. That's a back breaker. Colorado went into the dressing room with new life and looked like a different team in the 3rd. In addition, the goal seemed to affect the Canucks in the opposite manner. They played exactly like a team that had just given up a soul crushing goal....

A poor clearing attempt cost the team during the 2 man advantage, as well. Lindy wins the faceoff clean, but the defenseman (Hronek, I think?) fans on the clearing attempt (or lets one of the Colorado forwards get his stick on it) and a few second later McKinnon scores. That's not to say that the Canucks would have definitely killed it off, but the weak clear made a question that we'll never know the answer to.

There were weak clearing attempts all night for some reason. When they weren't getting picked off by the Avs, they were hitting our guys in the skates.....IMO, those were the biggest factor in this loss.

I feel bad for Casey. For two periods, the team was doing exactly what RT talked about in the presser....throwing themselves in front of everything. In the third, not so much....

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1