[PGT] Scamalanche at Canucks

6 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I felt that was the Canucks biggest miss off the TDL. Not reconstructing the 4th line. I mean Lafferty has been invisible the last 30 games. Just goes for a skate out there. Doesn't hit, doesn't fight. Guy needs the press box and maybe a reminder of why he's here. 

We could have used either Tr or Du on our bottom 6 for sure. Kind of soft in comparison. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Also, MacKinnon didn't do much until the refs slanted the ice .... before that, not much there.

Miller had control of things until that POS slammed his head into the boards. 

I do agree...Petey's got to do more. He's supposed to be our game breaker and I have confidence he will be again

When is the last time Pettersson broke open a game?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I said it in the GDT, although I thought the hooking call was weak, (it was technically a hook, but that sort of call is rarely made with a team already shorthanded) the Canucks need to look no further that some horrible clearing attempts for the reason that they lost.

IMO, the biggest play in the game came just before the end of the second. The Canucks weren't able to take advantage of an opportunity to get the puck out of the zone and the Avs capitalized with 2 seconds left. That's a back breaker. Colorado went into the dressing room with new life and looked like a different team in the 3rd. In addition, the goal seemed to affect the Canucks in the opposite manner. They played exactly like a team that had just given up a soul crushing goal....

A poor clearing attempt cost the team during the 2 man advantage, as well. Lindy wins the faceoff clean, but the defenseman (Hronek, I think?) fans on the clearing attempt (or lets one of the Colorado forwards get his stick on it) and a few second later McKinnon scores. That's not to say that the Canucks would have definitely killed it off, but the weak clear made a question that we'll never know the answer to.

There were weak clearing attempts all night for some reason. When they weren't getting picked off by the Avs, they were hitting our guys in the skates.....IMO, those were the biggest factor in this loss.

I feel bad for Casey. For two periods, the team was doing exactly what RT talked about in the presser....throwing themselves in front of everything. In the third, not so much....

This is my biggest most annoying pet peeve of mine with this team.  The giveaways in our own zone.  Pulling my hair out some nights.  I don't know if other teams have, on average, the same degree of problem with this part of the game, and so maybe I'm biased, but it seems a lot of nights the two teams playing are in stark contrast.  With the Canucks constantly handing the puck back in the D Zone, while the other seems to just make the quick simple play out of their zone.

Canucks tend to try and make some type of passing play rather that just get it over the blue line. To pass to someone else to take responsibility to clear it.  Now that is not a bad thing in some circumstances. Its even necessary.   But there are too many times where a player, D or not, holds onto the puck too long in the D Zone. Where they have at least a couple of seconds to think first.....and then inexplicably just shoot a soft shot right onto the waiting stick of the opposition.  Myers is one of the worst at that. But he's certainly not the only one. But I think he's probably responsible for one goal against directly or indirectly almost every game. Or they are right at their own blue line and flub the puck, can't move it the extra 2 inches and the other team comes back in for a chance. So maddening.

While I'm at it, Demko is not good with the puck.  Scary when he gets the puck behind the net.  Because a lot of times he'll ignore the player close by he could just tap it to, and just blindly rings it up the boards. Sometimes with a backhand where he literally can't see who is there....usually the opposition.  DeSmith is much better at calmly stopping the puck and making a quick pass to an open defenseman.  

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

First of all, EP's new contract is next yr.  He isn't being paid like him. 

Second, EP's numbers in his first 5 yrs are better than MacKinnon's first 5 yr,  other than the third yr when EP was injured, which was on pace for 66 pts, which would also better than MacKinnon's third yr.  

It takes time to develop to a be a great player and EP has that potential.  That's why he got that contract.   It took Sedins 9 yrs to reach their prime.  EP is currently in yr 6.  

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/player/elias-pettersson-8480012

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/player/nathan-mackinnon-8477492

I said Pettersson is going to be paid like Mackinnon.

MacKinnon played his first game when he just turned 18. Pettersson turned 20 a month into his first season. 

In his 5th season, Mackinnon was runner up for the Hart. He had 2 runner ups and a finalist for the Hart under his belt before he turned 26. Pettersson will not have such credentials before he turns 26.

Pettersson had better numbers in his first 4 seasons (of course NHL scoring was appreciably higher during his first 4 seasons than for Mackinnon's), but I think saying he had a better first 5 seasons is a stretch given MacKinnon's runner up for the Hart in his 5th season (at only age 22).

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

MacKinnon played his first game when he just turned 18. Pettersson turned 20 a month into his first season. 

In his 5th season, Mackinnon was runner up for the Hart. He had 2 runner ups and a finalist for the Hart under his belt before he turned 26. Pettersson will not have such credentials before he turns 26.

Pettersson had better numbers in his first 4 seasons (of course NHL scoring was appreciably higher during his first 4 seasons than for Mackinnon's), but I think saying he had a better first 5 seasons is a stretch given MacKinnon's runner up for the Hart in his 5th season (at only age 22).

If you move goal posts for MacKinnon sure. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, 43isprime said:

Not a stretch. EP won the Calder too.  

Each player develops at their pace.

MacKinnon's next contract will be huge.  He is an exceptional player, I think better than McDavid all around.  Players get paid according to the market when the contract is signed.  Panarin doesn't have EPs numbers but got paid more.  He plays in NY so it's worth it for them. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

When is the last time Pettersson broke open a game?

This has always been a problem with the Swedish players we've had, lack of grit and push back. I still remember being so made at everyone getting on Louie's back for being lit up in a couple game against Boston but forgetting he got 2 shut out! What did the twins do in that series other than be used as punching bags? They got 5 points combined in 7 games and were a minus 12. It was guys like Torres. Burrows and Lapierre scoring the goals.......................Sigh

• Cheers 1

I feel our special teams is going to determine our fate in the playoffs. The pp still hasn't been fixed to a satisfactory level and I'm not confident there's a solution come playoff time. 

Games like yesterday are going to happen more frequent than not, especially in the playoffs when calls aren't going to be consistent from game to game in a serjes. Some of the calls last night were weak, but it's not why we lost the game. MacKinnon went beast mode and got the benefit of the doubt on the hooking call because he's a stud player. The team couldn't respond and that was it. 

I wonder if Tocc is getting tired of using 'lesson learned' in his post game interviews. We're less than 20 games to end of season so there's not that many chances to learn anymore.

Having said all the above, I'm still pretty happy with where the team is at this year. Just gonna enjoy the ride and see how far they go in the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

MacKinnon's next contract will be huge.  He is an exceptional player, I think better than McDavid all around.  Players get paid according to the market when the contract is signed.  Panarin doesn't have EPs numbers but got paid more.  He plays in NY so it's worth it for them. 

Completely agree with this, MacKinnon can take over a game when needed, the closest player we have to that is Miller but he just doesn't quit have the high end speed and skill that Nathan does.

7 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Unless he invents a time machine, I doubt Mackinnon's next deal will be huge since he'll be signing it at 36yo 😆

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Bob Long said:

man thats embarrassing for Mac. He should have been called for embellishment. 

He should be fined and suspended because he has done it repeatedly. He's one of the top 3 divers in the league. 

Edit: I miss it when the league had the balls to suspend people for shit like this. It stopped for a few years. 

Edited by MikeyD
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

They always want to save it.. just in case

If you've used your timeout you can't challenge a goal.  That's why coaches only use them in emergency situations ... quick goals against necessitates a reset or gassed players get an icing. Not just to reemphasize strategy

Tocc's comments were telling - no player stepped up to take control of the game the way MacKinnon did for the Avs.  A timeout wasn't going to generate that.

5 hours ago, FlippersUp said:

I loved about the Canucks Lappierre, Burr, Ruutu, Cooke as a Canuck. Pestilence has always been a canuck calling card.  

Grammar police road stop

Pestilence = petulance

pes·ti·lence
/ˈpestələns/
noun
ARCHAIC

1. a fatal epidemic disease, especially bubonic plague.
  • Haha 4

Here's the thing. Yes, MacKinnon's a good player but I don't give a f about the guy. He's not on my team and, as a matter of fact, he's on a team I can't stand so he can take a flying leap at a rolling donut.

He's a #1 pick and so his bar should be set higher.

He's played twice the number of games of Petey.

Played double the number of years.

Don't compare Nate now to Petey....go back to the first 6 years to do it fairly. 

Petey's not firing on all cylinders but Nate's not a God like some make him out to be. And his drama was a over the top prima donna crap.

I'm going to ignore all the negativity. I saw someone challenge the fact that fans have a right to be negative but do they? I mean look at where we are this year and tell me that we shouldn't maybe heap praise on our team for how far they've come rather than setting totally unrealistic expectations. Like winning every game. Or just never turning back with a lead...teams come at you harder. 

Teams blow leads all the time...that's not just a Canucks thing it's just how it is. 

So if we can't "whine" about reffing quit whining about the team losing at times. Happens. But some here hit the panic button and act like the team's awful. They're not. Maybe just get behind them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2