[PGT] Scamalanche at Canucks

4 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Since the NHL Is incentifying and rewarding the acting we need another year end round of trophies

- Best dive of the season - 

- most convincing selling .... Maybe called the Play dead award 

- best team divers .... Maybe called the synchronized diving team award

- best over all con job - make our games awesome award ? Maga for short ?

And last but not least .... The seeing eye dog memorial trophy .... For the ref who was played the hardest and fell for it 

It is a great idea

It is like that « Oskar » or whatever name it is for the worst movie, actor, etc.

I think we can do it on this site- ask misers to create a poll, would be a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Tony the maggot has high praises for the team, coach and management.

He is retired but has the lens of an old timer who has seen all those lean yrs in Vancouver.  Interesting to hear his perspective.

Tony is a legend - always was able to find something bad to say about the team.

Was in a permanent fight with Burke

But , to give him a credit, I remember in 10-11 season he was on Pratt and Taylor show and he said something like we are witnessing a historic season , let’s enjoy the ride while it last.

I was driving at this moment and almost created an accident when I heard that.

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nathan MacKinnon after first 374 games:

303 points 

Elias Pettersson after first 392 games:

402 points 

Petey is on a better PPG pace than MacKinnon if you go back to the beginning of both of their careers. MacKinnon didn’t hit 100 points until his 10th season in the NHL. 

I remember lots of people saying that MacKinnon was not worthy of being a #1 overall pick when he was in his early 20’s. 

Fun fact. Elias Lindholm, Nikita Zadorov and Bo Horvat, who turned into Filip Hronek, were all drafted in the same draft as Nathan MacKinnon. 

As it turned out, Nathan Mackinnon, after his 374th game (at age 22), earned a Hart Trophy runner up.

Elias Pettersson, after is 392nd game (at age 25), earned...?

"I remember lots of people saying that MacKinnon was not worthy of being a #1 overall pick when he was in his early 20’s."

His first Hart Trophy runner up was his age 22 season, beginning a run of 3 seasons in 4 in which he was either runner up or finalist for the Hart. So I guess he was deemed not worthy of a #1 pick when he was 20 and 21. And that proves what?

2 hours ago, 43isprime said:

As it turned out, Nathan Mackinnon, after his 374th game (at age 22), earned a Hart Trophy runner up.

"I remember lots of people saying that MacKinnon was not worthy of being a #1 overall pick when he was in his early 20’s."

His first Hart Trophy runner up was his age 22 season, beginning a run of 3 seasons in 4 in which he was either runner up or finalist for the Hart. So I guess he was deemed not worthy of a #1 pick when he was 20 and 21. And that proves what?

My post was in reference to points through the first 5 seasons of their careers.  Hart trophy nominations are based on whether your team makes the playoffs or not.  Nobody is going to vote for Petey for the Hart trophy if he’s playing on a shit team.  So your point is irrelevant. Yes, MacKinnon was considered not worthy of a #1 overall pick through his first 4 seasons in the NHL.  He wasn’t exactly lighting it up for a #1 overall pick.  It’s also nice to play with Mikko Rantanen for most of your career while Petey plays with Pius Suter, Ilya Mikheyev and Sam Lafferty.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I mean, that gave them a 5 on 3 in the third period.  Yet Quinn got high sticked and they let it go.

And consider that the light one handed brush with the stick garnered the same penalty as this. Two minutes:

This is exactly it... 

Nothing new in the NHL though... it has regularly been an issue, that the outcome determines the penalty...

Shouldn't be. Its either a dirty hit or it is not...

frustrating... and posibly currupt as f...

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My post was in reference to points through the first 5 seasons of their careers.  Hart trophy nominations are based on whether your team makes the playoffs or not.  Nobody is going to vote for Petey for the Hart trophy if he’s playing on a shit team.  So your point is irrelevant. Yes, MacKinnon was considered not worthy of a #1 overall pick through his first 4 seasons in the NHL.  He wasn’t exactly lighting it up for a #1 overall pick.  It’s also nice to play with Mikko Rantanen for most of your career while Petey plays with Pius Suter, Ilya Mikheyev and Sam Lafferty.

It's hilarious how any time someone tries to compare Pettersson to Mackinnon and ends up looking silly, the fallback is linemates, and not the fact that MacKinnon is faster, bigger, stronger, and simply a better player 🤣

"Nobody is going to vote for Petey for the Hart trophy if he’s playing on a (expletive) team."

MacKinnon's first season as Hart Trophy runner up came in his 5th season with Colorado finishing with 95 points.

The Canucks in Pettersson's 6th season will eclipse 100 points. I don't see a Hart Trophy runner up for him this season 🤣

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nathan MacKinnon after first 374 games:

303 points 

Elias Pettersson after first 392 games:

402 points 

Petey is on a better PPG pace than MacKinnon if you go back to the beginning of both of their careers. MacKinnon didn’t hit 100 points until his 10th season in the NHL. 

I remember lots of people saying that MacKinnon was not worthy of being a #1 overall pick when he was in his early 20’s. 

Fun fact. Elias Lindholm, Nikita Zadorov and Bo Horvat, who turned into Filip Hronek, were all drafted in the same draft as Nathan MacKinnon. 

Spot on... over the last few years he has become a monster, but it wasn't always so... definitely a lot of debate about him being taken 1OA... 

Goes to show that players don't react their peak until 28 and upwards. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

It's hilarious how any time someone tries to compare Pettersson to Mackinnon and ends up looking silly, the fallback is linemates, and not the fact that MacKinnon is faster, bigger, stronger, and simply a better player 🤣

"Nobody is going to vote for Petey for the Hart trophy if he’s playing on a (expletive) team."

MacKinnon's first season as Hart Trophy runner up came in his 5th season with Colorado finishing with 95 points.

The Canucks in Pettersson's 6th season will eclipse 100 points. I don't see a Hart Trophy runner up for him this season 🤣

Is it really?

About as hillarious as somebody asking the question, when was the last time Pettersson broke open a game, only to told its a week ago, when he totally undressed a hall of famer playing on another playoff team. 
Your dislike of this team and its players is really starting to smell like trolling. 
I'm sure you aren't, but...

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Is it really?

About as hillarious as somebody asking the question, when was the last time Pettersson broke open a game, only to told its a week ago, when he totally undressed a hall of famer playing on another playoff team. 
Your dislike of this team and its players is really starting to smell like trolling. 
I'm sure you aren't, but...

Uh...I didn't feel I even needed to respond to that, as it was a complete non-example.

Pettersson made a nice move, sure, but the Hall of Famer Pettersson undressed is 34 years old and was on the ice for almost 2 minutes (a long with the rest of the Kings on the ice) because of work the couple of previous lines did. Pettersson literally just stepped on the ice prior to scoring that goal.

Secondly, I'd argue that a 1-1 game going into OT didn't exactly get broken open.

Thirdly, when you have to mention shooting a puck towards the opposition bench to draw a too many men so that you can frame Pettersson as having done 2 things to "break open the game", he probably didn't break open that game🤣

By the way, that goal he scored was his first in 7 games. He has 4 goals in the 18 games since the All Star Break for an 18-goal pace over 82 games. FYI, 18 games is about 3 rounds-worth of playoff games.

21 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Uh...I didn't feel I even needed to respond to that, as it was a complete non-example.

Pettersson made a nice move, sure, but the Hall of Famer Pettersson undressed is 34 years old and was on the ice for almost 2 minutes (a long with the rest of the Kings on the ice) because of work the couple of previous lines did. Pettersson literally just stepped on the ice prior to scoring that goal.

Secondly, I'd argue that a 1-1 game going into OT didn't exactly get broken open.

Thirdly, when you have to mention shooting a puck towards the opposition bench to draw a too many men so that you can frame Pettersson as having done 2 things to "break open the game", he probably didn't break open that game🤣

By the way, that goal he scored was his first in 7 games. He has 4 goals in the 18 games since the All Star Break for an 18-goal pace over 82 games. FYI, 18 games is about 3 rounds-worth of playoff games.

Nobody saying he is on fire now, but he did break the game open v LA Kings. 

You have an amazing joy in putting Petey down, and the team in general. 

Well I'd suggest in a tight non scoring game, scoring the tying goal is exactly breaking a game open...

McKinnon was a 1OA and there were lots of talk in his first years about it being the wrong choice. 
He is now a monster, but a different player to Petey. Physically he is superior, that can hardly be argued, but the points tally can. Petey has been scoring points for fun throughout his tenure here, and that regardless of his wingers.
Physicallity matters in particular during the younger years, where skinny players is easier to bully... as they start to get physically stronger they become far better players as their skills that kept them amongst the top players are still there. 

MacKinnon is in his prime now, while Petey isn't yet... 

And yes since the All Star Game... how have the other Canucks fared since the All Star Game? None of them seem to have done amazingly (bar perhaps Miller), but yes Petey has been in a bit of a funk. (Actually hated it at the time, that so many of our players went, instead of getting some rest after our crazy schedule). 
However leading up to the All Star Game he was brilliant... One of the reasons we are still fighting for top spot in the league, despite star players not firing on all cylinders, is because of how good he Highes and Miller has been prior to the All Star Game. 

PS. Don't think I mentioned anything about shooting the puck towards the bench?

But since you are mentioning it, I think, it was a smart move and quick thinking. 

Edited by spook007
Add on
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Tony the maggot has high praises for the team, coach and management.

He is retired but has the lens of an old timer who has seen all those lean yrs in Vancouver.  Interesting to hear his perspective.

Go to 9:00 and watch for a bit ... The same points that those who've followed this game for  awhile, get, especially when considering era adjusted stuff, truly don't think some of what we are seeing, that all the skilled guys would survive in the 70's to mid 2000's.   You had to take literal beating back then to stand infront of an opponents net.   Not a couple shoves here and there for positioning.    EP draws a lot of penalties .... believe he does this on purpose at times to help the team, a smart hockey player.    

Tony might have been tough on the team as a writer over the years, but you can't criticize his understanding of the era's (all of them), he did follow.    Nice to see him so mellow, and also the high praise.   A Bo fan too.    Agree with his QHs comments, and how team's will try and target him heavily dumping it into his corner (Vegas did this, so did St. Louis), and that good luck trying to hit him, and possibly abondon it after the first couple games (inferred that it will cost them on the scoreboard).    Nice video, thanks for sharing. 

As for NM and EP, they play a different game.   NM did take time to get going.   Once he did though, he's been at or near the top the entire time with McDavid.   EPs not there yet.     And maybe never will be, and that's ok.   NM, some of his playoff series have been absolutely sick.    There isn't many players that make you want to watch other teams in the playoffs just to watch play...he's one of them.   More so than McDavid.   Like Crosby was during his back to back Conn Smythe early 30's ... 

NM also has had a lot to work with.    Rantanen is one heck of a player.   Would be like Miller and EP playing on the same line.    Will say this to though,  NM still scores at his ridiculous pace, without Rantanen (when he's injured), and Landeskog...He's probably the best player in the world right now.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

As for EP.   The only part of his game, that he hasn't quite figured out yet, is consistency.   Find it awfully ironic at times, when the panic button is pushed on this site "what's wrong with EP",  etc, then the following game he goes out and scores 3 points.   Or the game after.

Hogs absolutely isn't a bad player to play with, he's a legit top six forward now, and worked his way up the lineup the hard way.   If he can score 20 goals playing 11-12 minutes a night ... what can or should he be able to do, playing with EP or in the top six?    30 goals seems more then reasonable, which of course isn't a bad winger at all in this league.    What a treat that's been to see.    Maybe he's better with Brock and Miller, but that appears to happen with anyone this season, except Lafferty, who had some chemistry with EP going to the net anyways. 

Lindholm was brought in to play the 3C role it looks like.   At least until Joshua is back.   Once that happens, the Thirst line, don't see why that won't happen.   And of course he's considered a top six player.    Could see him bumped and Suter bumped.    Tochett hasn't had an easy time this year, finding the right part to play with EP.    Kuzmenko didn't work out,  Mikheyev either (he's a middle six forward), but Hogs sure has.   

EP has the potential to score 100 points for the next 8 years, and no way have we seen the best yet.    When he's 29-30, Hanks and then Daniel's boffo season's,  his cap hit will likely also be identical to what theirs were at the time (percentage).    And at some point over the next 1-3 seasons,  i'm sure EP will take over JT Millers role.    Also don't be surprised if the Lotto line is re-united in spurts.     Once Joshua is back, this teams forward group, which is already awfully good, works even better.    It's nice to have the depth we do.   

As for EP, for him to be consistent, sure would help if had a "pair".   Like Brock with Miller.   Joshua and Garland.     That's how JR likes to build his teams.    Maybe it's Hogs.   Or maybe it will become Lekkerimaki.    Finding the third guy isn't as important.     Right now, like Horvat before him, it looks like he's going to have to work with what's available.    Once he finds his consistentcy, for sure he could start challenging for the Art Ross.    Maybe in a couple years.    

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 43isprime said:

Get the concern.    Personally wouldn't bet against EP.   He's had a history of going through funks, or peaks and valleys practically every season he's played.    That part of his game, even if it never goes away, still puts him in the upper echelon of the league since he arrived.     It's why we signed him for 8 more years.    Bure scored 40 goals one year in around 42 games ... then 20 the rest of the season.    The Sedins were consistently frustrating as a second line during the WCE era.   One year of Carter, before that not nearly good enough to help the best line in hockey carry the load.     They eventually found their game (post lockout) and became HHOFers.

Not sure how long you've followed this team, personally thank our lucky stars we drafted 3 Calder finalists or winners in a row, and followed it up with what surely will be regarded as one of the best trades in club history with JT Miller.    It takes a village.    EP is a massive part of that village.    And isn't a cherry picker.   Does little things, like drawing penalties, and back checks.     Doesn't need to be on the scoreboard every single night, although that for sure helps.    Part of the reason this teams so successful this year, is because the load is spread out well.    

Personally wouldn't bet against EP.   You know he's going to bounce back.    No indication why he won't.   Unless he's playing with an injury (like another one of his funks, it was his wrist, and even then he played through and bounced back).    EP could score 20-30 points before the years out and make this age poorly. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

In a 2-on-2 mini practice scrimmage with nets in close proximity, sticks got up and so did the temperature level.

Conor Garland and Filip Hronek had a brief but testy exchange that had to be broken up by Ian Cole. And maybe that’s what it takes to restore some sense of measured urgency.

“I let it go more than I usually do,” admitted Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet. “I don’t want stupidity, but I want a bit of a battle. Just don’t hurt each other.”

Tocchet wants players to understand the fine line between competitiveness and stepping over it. Be aggressive, but also responsible. Sometimes, that’s easier said than done when momentum shifts. Players make mistakes.

Edited by Rip The Mesh
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Petey did win a Calder.

As I said, I really don't giving a flying f about great Nate. I don't deny he's a good player, but I also don't have to sing his praises either. I'm a fan of this team and these players so what he does really doesn't interest me. His dive really wasn't becoming of him. I could see if it was something worthy of attention...but basically a one handed love tap. He should be good enough to not need to get the refs to swoop in and help him. Diva crap. 

Many here roasted JT for slamming a gate, a stick....so it's only fair we put other players under the microscope to criticize.

Nate, you're up.

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Go to 9:00 and watch for a bit ... The same points that those who've followed this game for  awhile, get, especially when considering era adjusted stuff, truly don't think some of what we are seeing, that all the skilled guys would survive in the 70's to mid 2000's.   You had to take literal beating back then to stand infront of an opponents net.   Not a couple shoves here and there for positioning.    EP draws a lot of penalties .... believe he does this on purpose at times to help the team, a smart hockey player.    

Tony might have been tough on the team as a writer over the years, but you can't criticize his understanding of the era's (all of them), he did follow.    Nice to see him so mellow, and also the high praise.   A Bo fan too.    Agree with his QHs comments, and how team's will try and target him heavily dumping it into his corner (Vegas did this, so did St. Louis), and that good luck trying to hit him, and possibly abondon it after the first couple games (inferred that it will cost them on the scoreboard).    Nice video, thanks for sharing. 

As for NM and EP, they play a different game.   NM did take time to get going.   Once he did though, he's been at or near the top the entire time with McDavid.   EPs not there yet.     And maybe never will be, and that's ok.   NM, some of his playoff series have been absolutely sick.    There isn't many players that make you want to watch other teams in the playoffs just to watch play...he's one of them.   More so than McDavid.   Like Crosby was during his back to back Conn Smythe early 30's ... 

NM also has had a lot to work with.    Rantanen is one heck of a player.   Would be like Miller and EP playing on the same line.    Will say this to though,  NM still scores at his ridiculous pace, without Rantanen (when he's injured), and Landeskog...He's probably the best player in the world right now.  

Can't wait for the next year's 4 nations cup and then Olympics.  Finally Crosby, MacKinnon and McDavid on the same team.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Petey did win a Calder.

As I said, I really don't giving a flying f about great Nate. I don't deny he's a good player, but I also don't have to sing his praises either. I'm a fan of this team and these players so what he does really doesn't interest me. His dive really wasn't becoming of him. I could see if it was something worthy of attention...but basically a one handed love tap. He should be good enough to not need to get the refs to swoop in and help him. Diva crap. 

Many here roasted JT for slamming a gate, a stick....so it's only fair we put other players under the microscope to criticize.

Nate, you're up.

If the same hit on JT was done on MacKinnon, Nux player would get a major and game, suspension.  

• Cheers 1

So clearly a lot of you have never played hockey and thats totally fine. I’ll say this first, I’ve called Mackinnon a diver since the Nashville series and lost respect for him, but that was not a dive on Mackinnon.

Ian Cole uses Mackinnons leg as a fulcrum for leverage to stick check Mackinnon and because he got Mackinnon bottom hand as he was pushing off, it pulled his shoulder down causing his stride to stumble. I know this for a fact because I play defence and I do it all the time and it typically goes undetected so long as it doesnt happen as they try taking a stride and wind up tied up and causes a stumble. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Ha I'd love to see that lowlight reel of the best dives and best embellishments against us. Head snap backs and wiggling the gloves. 

where's Don Cherry when we really need him..... instead of Rockem sockem, we would have flipem flopem

• Haha 1