[PGT] Scamalanche at Canucks

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hey mate. Yes, it could have probably been a major in hindsight. However, this is just yet another example of the over-reacting on this site and then working everyone into a scathing referee witch hunt. If you watch the play honestly (I did at least 20 times today) you can clearly see Manson tries to square his body and lay a solid back of his body to body hit, in an attempt to separate Miller from the puck. You can also see in his reaction he is upset that Miller hit his head and is remorseful of the poorly timed hit. He actually doesn't initially even realize Miller hit his head. He was clearly aiming for the body. It wasn't malicious or targeted in any way but he needs to have better control of his actions. It was careless and ultimately unsafe.

So yeah it probably should have been 5 in retrospect but it was pretty borderline. These are the types of plays that are subjective in real time and are sometimes called and sometimes not. This is the thing though we were up 2-0 ... we still got a PP, we sucked balls on the PP anyway. It didn't really change the game much. We still went up 3-0 later. In addition as MacIntyre pointed out in intermission if Miller lays on the ice it probably helps with the call. That's not on the referees though, that's just Miller not being a faker, he also wasn't hurt on the play. They should be able to go review that play on video to see exactly what happened though. The video rule should be changed. It's not like they in any way are in the practice of allowing heat shots against Canuck players. That's silly.

This is a situation where as a fan I say "geez I think that should have been 5". Then it's over though and I move on. I don't need to take out an article in the Sun, or write 18 pages balling my eyes out about it in the PGT either.  It had no bearing on the game anyway which should be the takeaway. Sorry for the Saturday morning essay. 😏 

Hope your day is going well. Should be a fun one tonight. Cheers Spook!

Yeah true amigo...

Life goes on... We need to learn to deal with adversity as fans and the team in general... I think the team is better at taking it oj the chin than we are, as you rarely hear Tocchet complain about the calls or the refereeing... (this is actually refreshing).

I thought, when I saw it first, it looked bad... not malicious, but bad... Agree Manson did look concerned and didn't act as somebody head hunting.

In saying that, when Z got his two games suspension, he also apologies and held his hand up for it being a mistimed hit...

My main concern though, was I didn't think they only gave 2 min penalties in the NHL for hits to the head in general. Miller definitely got Manson off the hook by being a man and not a Hollywood actor, which I applaud... I was sick and tired of it around 2010-2011-2012, where everyone seemed to dive none stop. The NHL seemed to get a hold on it by regular embellishment calls, but it seems to have vanished again...

But yes in the end, the team has to learn, not to play scarred when in the lead, and they concede a goal... its a simple as that... You are never gonna win all the games by shut outs, and good teams will put you under pressure.... It all part off the learning...

Of course a good start would be getting the PP going again... If Tocchet can't get it going, get somebody in, who can... for a team this good, its embarrassing the PP is so poor...

• MillerTime 1

3 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Not that I disagree at all. I've just been perusing Pete's line combo's and deployments. On the games he's been successful and the ones he's struggled.  https://moneypuck.com/player.htm?p=8480012

One thing I've noticed fairly consistently is the games where Pete has a greater ratio of D zone starts to O zone starts seem to be his best games. For example. 

image.thumb.png.f7aca6ba8f3baa0a5b32e3d2020077bf.png

VS 

image.thumb.png.09c8561423a8670e34f90d4dc1951462.png

image.thumb.png.63b0f92b4f3933befa28c7b04ecfa00e.png

En mass it seems and especially since the all star break Pete has better games when starting more shifts from the D zone. My theory is that Pete is better at creating offense off the rush than when he already has zone advantage. It may also be a reason the PP is flacid.  

That is actually a very good take Hammer, and you may well be on to something here... good call.

I just thought, by watching the Avs game, that Petey, Hogs and Suter got hemmed in constantly during that game, but maybe that was a one off...

6 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Wait...are you suggesting that Miller is providing better value at 8m right now than MacKinnon is at 12.6m?

Well, since that is how you said about Petey, Miller should only produce 2/3 of MacKinnon production to make his $8M contract as good value as his...?

Miller            87point / $8.0M  = 10.9 points/M$,

MacKinnon 115point / $12.6M =  9.1 points/M$ (    having played the same number of games).

So yes, if you are talking value contracts, Millers does provides better value than MacKinnon.

On top of that, Miller is +29 v NMs +27...  And he sticks up for all of his team mates.... despite only being paid $8M... T

his is not saying Miller is a better player than NM, but Miller does provide better value per dollars than NM does.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yeah true amigo...

Life goes on... We need to learn to deal with adversity as fans and the team in general... I think the team is better at taking it oj the chin than we are, as you rarely hear Tocchet complain about the calls or the refereeing... (this is actually refreshing).

I thought, when I saw it first, it looked bad... not malicious, but bad... Agree Manson did look concerned and didn't act as somebody head hunting.

In saying that, when Z got his two games suspension, he also apologies and held his hand up for it being a mistimed hit...

My main concern though, was I didn't think they only gave 2 min penalties in the NHL for hits to the head in general. Miller definitely got Manson off the hook by being a man and not a Hollywood actor, which I applaud... I was sick and tired of it around 2010-2011-2012, where everyone seemed to dive none stop. The NHL seemed to get a hold on it by regular embellishment calls, but it seems to have vanished again...

But yes in the end, the team has to learn, not to play scarred when in the lead, and they concede a goal... its a simple as that... You are never gonna win all the games by shut outs, and good teams will put you under pressure.... It all part off the learning...

Of course a good start would be getting the PP going again... If Tocchet can't get it going, get somebody in, who can... for a team this good, its embarrassing the PP is so poor...

I think when I watch it more is that Manson thought he was going to get his arm on Miller's side right away but he kind of misses and his arm slides over the sill on the board. This causes his main point of contact to change to the back and then Miller's head hits the glass due to momentum. From the referee's standpoint it possibly looks like one of those innocuous plays where the guy gets pushed from behind a bit and hits the boards a little hard and awkward. Kind of dangerous but still sometimes 2 and sometimes 5. 

It all happens pretty fast and Manson's body is also obstructing the referee's ability to see Miller on the play. This video gives several different angles that show how hard it would be on the ice to make the call depending on the refs vantage point. There is also a third Av player in there to cause a distraction.

I agree completely that we have to learn to play through all kinds of obstacles, refereeing included. And yeah, that PP needs to get going.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think when I watch it more is that Manson thought he was going to get his arm on Miller's side right away but he kind of misses and his arm slides over the sill on the board. This causes his main point of contact to change to the back and then Miller's head hits the glass due to momentum. From the referee's standpoint it possibly looks like one of those innocuous plays where the guy gets pushed from behind a bit and hits the boards a little hard and awkward. Kind of dangerous but still sometimes 2 and sometimes 5. 

It all happens pretty fast and Manson's body is also obstructing the referee's ability to see Miller on the play. This video gives several different angles that show how hard it would be on the ice to make the call depending on the refs vantage point. There is also a third Av player in there to cause a distraction.

I agree completely that we have to learn to play through all kinds of obstacles, refereeing included. And yeah, that PP needs to get going.

Fair enough amigo... it does look like he is trying to hit Miller with his back... regardless though its on him no to make head contact...

True, its really hard for the refs to see, I agree on that, but when they call it a penalty for a hit to the head, then I thought it was 5min...

Nevertheless amigo, its all water under the bridge, and can't wait to see us play Caps tonight... hopefully they'll get a bit of anger issues and get their swagger back... Its been missing for large parts since the ASG... It could start tonight... here's hoping. 🙂

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Fair enough amigo... it does look like he is trying to hit Miller with his back... regardless though its on him no to make head contact...

True, its really hard for the refs to see, I agree on that, but when they call it a penalty for a hit to the head, then I thought it was 5min...

Nevertheless amigo, its all water under the bridge, and can't wait to see us play Caps tonight... hopefully they'll get a bit of anger issues and get their swagger back... Its been missing for large parts since the ASG... It could start tonight... here's hoping. 🙂

Yup, agreed on all, it was actually called "an illegal hit to the head", but obviously it can be called a 2 min though right, since it was? I get what you're saying more now though. They obviously knew he got hit in the head, unless they changed the call after. Good point. It's like a bad piece of ice, a weird deflection, missing a great chance, an unfortunate injury, a slump, tough travel, a broken stick, a crazy bounce of the stanchion, a potential missed penalty, or a shot the goalie would rather have back. All are unintentional and it's what makes hockey and sports exciting.

At the end of the day everyone, referees included, are trying to make the right call and keep people safe. One can see conspiracy anywhere if you want to. It's a shame some people don't see all the effort and dedication that goes into the sport. They just have unreal expectations they themselves couldn't even begin to dream to live up to.

Enough of that. Getting pumped for the game. Good opportunity to keep the good play up and get the PP going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, agreed on all, it was actually called "an illegal hit to the head", but obviously it can be called a 2 min though right, since it was? I get what you're saying more now though. They obviously knew he got hit in the head, unless they changed the call after. Good point. It's like a bad piece of ice, a weird deflection, missing a great chance, an unfortunate injury, a slump, tough travel, a broken stick, a crazy bounce of the stanchion, a potential missed penalty, or a shot the goalie would rather have back. All are unintentional and it's what makes hockey and sports exciting.

At the end of the day everyone, referees included, are trying to make the right call and keep people safe. One can see conspiracy anywhere if you want to. It's a shame some people don't see all the effort and dedication that goes into the sport. They just have unreal expectations they themselves couldn't even begin to dream to live up to.

Enough of that. Getting pumped for the game. Good opportunity to keep the good play up and get the PP going.

Sure thing amigo.... Time to play hockey... Lets go 🙂

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I'm just poking you. 

But you're a bit obsessed on this point. OK lets say Petey is overpaid by 1 million right now. Who cares? what difference does it make to this teams core?

Okay yeah sorry, my bad. I stand by everything I've said, but you're right...I'm the one that needs a bit of a timeout...thanks...this was starting to consume me 🤣

• Haha 1