What's wrong with Petey?

mmkk

2 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Yep sorry my bad, you're right.

Yeah hard to imagine he was in it but he posted a really fast time. 

Although he came 5th after guys like Mcdavid and Eichel, they said his time would have been fast enough to win in other years. 

4 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

He is playing with one inexperienced winger who really should be on the third line, (Hoglander) and another winger who should be on the 4th line.  (Mikheyev)

He needs to be given a top six player on his line.... that is Lindholm.  (who for some strange reason known only to Tocchet, is playing on the third line  🙄 )

Supposedly they traded Kuzmenko for Lindholm to give Pettersson a defensively responsible winger to play with... but Lindholm has played 2 games with Pettersson.

Why is a top six player sitting on the third line?  Makes no sense.

Pettersson needs a player who he can pass and generate offense with... the same way Miller and Boeser generate offense.  Miller has had Boeser on his line all season... Pettersson has had no one with any real offensive talent after Kuzmenko was yanked off his line, then traded.... and no coincidence, when Kuzmenko was pulled off Pettersson's line is when his offensive decline started.

Put Lindholm with Pettersson and give them a chance to gel... they had great chemistry in the world championship so it can happen.

The reason to separate our three 1C players is that the other team has to put out good players against all three or that Lindy takes matchup against the top line and it get easier for at least one other line.

Petey is still guarded by two players when he tries to go forward. 
So he is treated as he’s not injured.

Miller is actually getting more space going forward. Isn’t that interesting? 

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I do wonder if we see the lotto line for some time early next game.

Our depth is currently letting the bottom two lines get some good match ups, but we need some more scoring.

Or if they move Lindholm up to EPs line and let him play wing.    Bluegar back with DJ and Garland. 

It’s been such a frustrating season watching Petey play and unfortunately the playoffs so far for him are simply a continuation of his play.

Too often this season I found myself yelling at the tv as his stick became a place where plays went to die. Whether it was losing a board battle for a puck, falling down at the point on a PP leading to a short handed odd man advantage the other way or just simply looking lost defensively in his own zone. I don’t have any analytics, but to my eyes he’s just disengaged. 

BUT he finished 18th in league scoring is what my buddies always say, however to me that wasn’t indicative of his overall play all season. More often than not after games I’d ask myself whether he actually played that  night, only to find he had a 2 or 3 point night by the end of the game after being invisible. 

So now here we are with a team working their tails off and sacrificing their bodies for each other but where’s Petey? Nowhere to be found.

When the headline is “Petey had another rough night. Nothing to show on the board with no shots and not even a shot attempt” and the coach continues the familiar refrain of “we need to get some guys going” (he’s looking at you Petey), we can’t sugarcoat it anymore and I question whether he has it in him at all. I don’t know and I wonder what JR and PA are thinking watching this unfold and whether they’re second guessing the $93MM contract. I am.

I’m hoping that his career unfolds like the twins career where there were early questions about them, but I’m not holding my breath.

Love this team and how the top guys are dragging them into the battle but we need Petey to step up. 

image.png.fbb1b6ba94f0ec7e5a18e53218e2879b.png

• Vintage 1

Which pair of D men does Petey get the most ice time with?

iirc Hughes AND Hronek, play with Miller, Brock and who ever.

Damn shame Hronek does not seem capable of leading a defensive pair, but is rather a tag along with Hughes.

• Like 1

Surely he's nursing some injury which will get disclosed after the playoffs. I think Brock's had one too but look what he just did. 

I think Petey has to play on the wing to get his swagger back, he's struggled at center with pylon wingers all year long. Hogs is playing like an AHLer again and Mikheyev should have been a cap dump so he's not getting much help. Put him back on the Lotto line because Suter has missed about 3-4 clear-cut goals which Petey would have buried. With Lindholm playing well we can afford to.

Petey - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Lindholm - Joshua

Hoglander - Blueger - Mikheyev

PDG - Suter - Lafferty

Especially if we're trailing or pushing for offence.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

No it is not helpful.... the current forward lines are getting nothing done.

They are not generating shots or goals and they are not keeping Nashville out of the Canucks zone... in fact the Canucks are being totally dominated in both O-Zone and D-Zone.  The Canucks need to be playing in the Preds zone to win this series... they cannot continue to hope for miracles.

Pettersson is at his best when he is in the O-Zone... but to get there, he needs help from someone on his line who can give and go, and dangle.  Hoglander is overwhelmed with his first playoffs and lack of size... Mikheyev is invisible.

Either re-unite the Lotto Line or put Lindholm with Pettersson.

....and get schlacked on the third line in enemy territory.  It's really important to have good face-off guys when in the visitor's arena because you can't control line-ups.  So having EP, Miller and Lindholm (and Blueger on the 4th), we shouldn't get killed.  Put Lindholm up in the top 6 and we're exposed each time we put the wrong line out for a FO.   Playoff hockey is to protect your vulnerabilities first.

If you think Lindholm can dangle to let EP be good offensively, why the heck does EP get the big shiny contract?!!!  I think EP is hurt, so I'm not sure Lindholm will suddenly jump start the EP engine.

I think we were all hoping this would be a big year for Podz, although with his new contract we have two more years for him to surprise on the positive.  If he could play effectively on the top 6, we have ourselves a new look.

Regardless - RT is going to go with what he thinks will work knowing that he knows more than you or I about what's going on with the team and the injury statuses.  I'm expecting he'll shift his lines again depending on who we play should we get to the next round.

Scratch Petey and play Podz. If we're gonna get zero goals maybe we can at least have a player score 0 goals and not fall down every shift. Everyone kept defending his scrawny stick figure because he was scoring points in the regular season. Now we are playing games with the big boys, and he can't even get any dangerous scoring chances. Let alone goals.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2024 at 1:12 PM, Provost said:

Last playoffs he averaged more than a point per game which is remarkable in the post-season.  He has had a quiet series and a tough last part to the season.  I wouldn't be surprised if we find out he is nursing an injury.

I would also not be surprise for him to be the star in the next series.  Sometimes matchups matter and when he is playing another line to a draw... it opens up space for another line to get a favourable match up.  Our 3rd line is facing poorer opposition because of the Petterson and Miller lines... and that is allowing them to have success.

There's nothing wrong with Petey except his confidence which when your being paid millions should not be a problem, he looks fragile and confused most of the time out there 

Feels like something is going on in his personal life like what happened to Boeser with his father.

Something is distracting him from the game. 

If it was injury but healthy enough to play, the drop-off shouldn't be this big. 

If it is just confidence, it shouldn't been dragged on for months now. 

Advanced stats show Petey was the most effective overall forward for the Canucks last night, yet he still gets the lion's share of the blame for this game? He hasn't been good enough this series, that's obvious. But right now it seems many are too focused on him to see that he had a good game, and this loss is not on him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Advanced stats show Petey was the most effective overall forward for the Canucks last night, yet he still gets the lion's share of the blame for this game? He hasn't been good enough this series, that's obvious. But right now it seems many are too focused on him to see that he had a good game, and this loss is not on him. 

he does seem to be getting better as the series goes on, so hopefully he puts it together Friday, we really need 3 lines able to score to get past NSH.

11 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

It’s just the way it goes.  Earn big $$$, gets the lion share of criticism.   Out of all our top players, he’s the only one not getting the job done.

• Vintage 1

Him shooting last night was a good sign. For whatever reason he feels the pressure after every contract extension. Hopefully that’s all it is and he’s learning a great deal. I think he’s getting close personally 

On 4/30/2024 at 1:06 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Surely he's nursing some injury which will get disclosed after the playoffs. I think Brock's had one too but look what he just did. 

I think Petey has to play on the wing to get his swagger back, he's struggled at center with pylon wingers all year long. Hogs is playing like an AHLer again and Mikheyev should have been a cap dump so he's not getting much help. Put him back on the Lotto line because Suter has missed about 3-4 clear-cut goals which Petey would have buried. With Lindholm playing well we can afford to.

Petey - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Lindholm - Joshua

Hoglander - Blueger - Mikheyev

PDG - Suter - Lafferty

Especially if we're trailing or pushing for offence.

Petey - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Lindholm - Garland

Mikheyev - Blueger - Lafferty

Hoglander - Suter - Podkolzin

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

he does seem to be getting better as the series goes on, so hopefully he puts it together Friday, we really need 3 lines able to score to get past NSH.

Pavel Bure struggled until he broke things wide open in Game 7 against the Flames in 94.  Then he went on a tear.  We gotta just hope Petey is building up to something and gets out of his funk at exactly the right time.  A hot Petey for the next month and a half would be just what we need to push us deep into the playoffs.

Posted (edited)

I’ve been at the three home playoff games and I’d say last nights game was the most noticeable from Petey in the series. He was hitting,shooting making plays. I will say he must be suffering from a lower body injury of some sort. He doesn’t have a quick stride like we are used to seeing (which is probably why we don’t see him dance n dangle like we know Petey can do. This was evident on the shot he made on Saro’s Mask, he slowed down when old Petey would’ve dangled east-west on Saros with speed.

As others in here have said how he was at one time one of the fastest skaters. I remember that game a few years ago when we played CBJ at home and Petey took a penalty and when he came out of the box like a rocket and scored on the play. We haven’t seen that burst of speed in awhile. I’d say the groin or whatever is bothering him is also effecting him mentally with what he can and cannot execute on right now. Of course with the hits he’s dishing out it’s hard to believe he’d be hitting players if he was injured so…🤷‍♂️But his speed and elusiveness is not there at the moment

Of course fans all remember what he said in  his previous 3 year deal, that he wanted to play on a contender and go deep in the playoffs every year. I’m sure he’d like a do-over with his choice of words with that comment now that we are a contending team that now needs his production to go as said deep in the playoffs. Last night was a sign in the right direction but let’s hope it’s just something in between the ears. We need EP40 to close out Nashville and fans are valid for having these expectations that he has placed on himself and new contract.

Edited by EP Phone Home

8 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

he’s Paid to score.

The Bottom line he’s been  a non factor in this series getting lion share of blame because he’s gets paid or will be getting paid a lion share of the cap. 

We don’t need him hitting/falling down we need him shooting (something he’s hasn’t done for months) and scoring.

yeah he was better in game 5 but he’s set the bar pretty low in games 1-4 so until he starts doing what he’s paid to do he’ll receive the blame and rightfully so. 

At this point he’s very lucky he signed when he did because I don’t think he’d be getting 11.6 with how ineffective he’s been since he signed and especially so far in these playoffs. 
hopefully he can find his game soon and score a few much needed goals. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Combover said:

he’s Paid to score.

The Bottom line he’s been  a non factor in this series getting lion share of blame because he’s gets paid or will be getting paid a lion share of the cap. 

We don’t need him hitting/falling down we need him shooting (something he’s hasn’t done for months) and scoring.

yeah he was better in game 5 but he’s set the bar pretty low in games 1-4 so until he starts doing what he’s paid to do he’ll receive the blame and rightfully so. 

At this point he’s very lucky he signed when he did because I don’t think he’d be getting 11.6 with how ineffective he’s been since he signed and especially so far in these playoffs. 
hopefully he can find his game soon and score a few much needed goals. 

He was tied for most shots on the team last night and advanced stats show he was the most effective forward. People can be critical of his play overall this series, he clearly has not been playing very well overall. But anyone blaming him for last night is simply wrong.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

He was tied for most shots on the team last night and advanced stats show he was the most effective forward. People can be critical of his play overall this series, he clearly has not been playing very well overall. But anyone blaming him for last night is simply wrong.

Yep. I've been a critic of Pettersson's play for quite a while. I kinda wanted to trade him just to avoid signing 11M for a no-show player (for this season). However, he DEFINITELY elevated his game last night. Whether or not it was enough is a totally different thing. At least we are SEEING improvements.

5 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

I’ve been at the three home playoff games and I’d say last nights game was the most noticeable from Petey in the series. He was hitting,shooting making plays. I will say he must be suffering from a lower body injury of some sort. He doesn’t have a quick stride like we are used to seeing (which is probably why we don’t see him dance n dangle like we know Petey can do. This was evident on the shot he made on Saro’s Mask, he slowed down when old Petey would’ve dangled east-west on Saros with speed.

As others in here have said how he was at one time one of the fastest skaters. I remember that game a few years ago when we played CBJ at home and Petey took a penalty and when he came out of the box like a rocket and scored on the play. We haven’t seen that burst of speed in awhile. I’d say the groin or whatever is bothering him is also effecting him mentally with what he can and cannot execute on right now. Of course with the hits he’s dishing out it’s hard to believe he’d be hitting players if he was injured so…🤷‍♂️But his speed and elusiveness is not there at the moment

Of course fans all remember what he said in  his previous 3 year deal, that he wanted to play on a contender and go deep in the playoffs every year. I’m sure he’d like a do-over with his choice of words with that comment now that we are a contending team that now needs his production to go as said deep in the playoffs. Last night was a sign in the right direction but let’s hope it’s just something in between the ears. We need EP40 to close out Nashville and fans are valid for having these expectations that he has placed on himself and new contract.

My guess was actually upper body due to his shot being MIA.  Regardless, it's pretty obvious he's playing hurt.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

My guess was actually upper body due to his shot being MIA.  Regardless, it's pretty obvious he's playing hurt.

Have to be a trolling moran to not understand Petey is playing through an injury. 

• Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Yep. I've been a critic of Pettersson's play for quite a while. I kinda wanted to trade him just to avoid signing 11M for a no-show player (for this season). However, he DEFINITELY elevated his game last night. Whether or not it was enough is a totally different thing. At least we are SEEING improvements.

He’s friggin’ pkaying injured! Are our fans actually morans? 

• Haha 1