What's wrong with Petey?

mmkk

12 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Kesler was not about to become the league's 5th highest paid player in the following season. 

Kesler also had matchup duties.

This "let's wait and see how Pettersson does" narrative is really funny. When he was struggling in the regular season, people (including Sat and Bik) said wait and see how he does in the playoffs.

So now that he's not been good for the first four games, we should wait until the second round 🤣

Even if he has a great Game 5 and/or Round 2 - so what? We should then forget the fact that he has 6 goals in his last 37 games? That he's barely shown up in the 4 most important games of the season so far? Consistency matters.

Pettersson needs to be counted on to be able to find a way to somehow show up in some way every game. I think we all agree that's not happening right now.

I hope it changes, but it would not change the fact that he hasn't shown up for the 4 most important games of the season so far.

Hey, mr persistent.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey is elite. Top five talent for sure. We are up 3-1 in round one and still the “butt” crowd is out. Sniff this losers! image.jpeg.6b9a3b7edaf5654a18ba08eeb98d0cef.jpeg

I don’t think there’s any doubt that something is off in his game.

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt that something is off in his game.

Of course. Petey is playing through an injury. Regardless he’s elite. JR knows a club cannot win the Cup without a player like him. Fortunately we have Miller and Lindholm too who are together like one Petey. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Last playoffs he averaged more than a point per game which is remarkable in the post-season.  He has had a quiet series and a tough last part to the season.  I wouldn't be surprised if we find out he is nursing an injury.

I would also not be surprise for him to be the star in the next series.  Sometimes matchups matter and when he is playing another line to a draw... it opens up space for another line to get a favourable match up.  Our 3rd line is facing poorer opposition because of the Petterson and Miller lines... and that is allowing them to have success.

I think it's safe to say the Bubble Playoffs didn't resemble the pressure environment of a regular playoffs with fans in the building. See excerpt below.

Would be great if he somehow found the Bubble form, though.

"Pettersson said these first two games were unlike anything he has experienced.

“Yeah, it is,” he said. “It's probably my first real playoff with all this atmosphere. I've just been so fired up. But maybe I've come away a little bit from what makes me good. I mean, adrenaline is good. . . but with adrenaline maybe I try to play too hard or make things too hard instead of just playing the game and letting the game come to you.”"

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-elias-pettersson-can-only-look-forward-after-tough-playoff-start/

15 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

No doubt he's putting pressure on himself to perform. 

He went out of his position on the first goal against by trying to do too much. 

At the same time, his skating is off. I believe at one time, he was in nhl fastest skater competition. I don't remember the last time he won a foot race for the puck or accelerated past a d-man. He doesn't even try the reverse hits anymore. And he's had a cross check to the ribs in one of the last reg season games. He could have bruises ribs or something. I think it's a mix of injury and too much pressure. 

He was never in the fastest skater competition (at least by my memory), but I do believe he used to be quicker than he is now (at least relative to the field).

I wonder if trying to add upper body strength and bulking up has taken away a bit of the footspeed. One big problem I see right now is his inability to consistently create time and separation with his feet.

1 hour ago, 43isprime said:

He was never in the fastest skater competition (at least by my memory), but I do believe he used to be quicker than he is now (at least relative to the field).

I wonder if trying to add upper body strength and bulking up has taken away a bit of the footspeed. One big problem I see right now is his inability to consistently create time and separation with his feet.

2019, finished 5/8 @ 13.930s.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Anyone who has played can see it’s a groin injury. Again, this isn’t insider ball, better believe NHL players can identify what’s ailing another player just by observing their mechanics. 

interesting. If it happened in the regular season, why not take some time to let it heal?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

interesting. If it happened in the regular season, why not take some time to let it heal?

They rested a few players for the last few games. I'm sure that if there was an injury bothering their 11.5 million-dollar man, they'd have certainly given priority to his health.

• Thanks 1

He is playing with one inexperienced winger who really should be on the third line, (Hoglander) and another winger who should be on the 4th line.  (Mikheyev)

He needs to be given a top six player on his line.... that is Lindholm.  (who for some strange reason known only to Tocchet, is playing on the third line  🙄 )

Supposedly they traded Kuzmenko for Lindholm to give Pettersson a defensively responsible winger to play with... but Lindholm has played 2 games with Pettersson.

Why is a top six player sitting on the third line?  Makes no sense.

Pettersson needs a player who he can pass and generate offense with... the same way Miller and Boeser generate offense.  Miller has had Boeser on his line all season... Pettersson has had no one with any real offensive talent after Kuzmenko was yanked off his line, then traded.... and no coincidence, when Kuzmenko was pulled off Pettersson's line is when his offensive decline started.

Put Lindholm with Pettersson and give them a chance to gel... they had great chemistry in the world championship so it can happen.

Edited by -Buzzsaw-

His effort level looks way down right now and I just don't see that happening in the playoffs without this being an injury.  Of course EP is going to keep being great, but man you have to wonder how much the Sedins can help him with being a slight guy that has playoff toughness and what it must take to avoid injuries. 

My only slight frustration with EP is that he wanted to play on a contender and then he signed a contract that didn't do the GM much in favours.  Trimming $1.5M/yr would have still put food on the table for example.  I'm not too concerned with his playoffs right now.....but then of course we're winning so far.

1 minute ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

He is playing with one inexperienced winger who really should be on the third line, (Hoglander) and another winger who should be on the 4th line.  (Mikheyev)

He needs to be given a top six player on his line.... that is Lindholm.  (who for some strange reason known only to Tocchet, is playing on the third line  🙄 )

Supposedly they traded Kuzmenko for Lindholm to give Pettersson a defensively responsible winger to play with... but Lindholm has played 2 games with Pettersson.

Why is a top six player sitting on the third line?  Makes no sense.

Pettersson needs a player who he can pass and generate offense with... the same way Miller and Boeser generate offense.  Miller has had Boeser on his line all season... Pettersson has had no one with any real offensive talent after Kuzmenko was traded.

Playoff hockey.....having Lindholm there on the third line is really helpful right now, especially on the road.

Agree that EP deserves better linemates right now.....but then I'm not convinced with Suter on JT's line neither. 

Kuzmenko didn't seem to be professional enough for being on EP's line.  I'm not sure why they persist with Mik up there.  I had hopes that Hogs was just going to be reliably good in the playoffs with EP, but perhaps this is just a small slump.  

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

Playoff hockey.....having Lindholm there on the third line is really helpful right now, especially on the road.

Agree that EP deserves better linemates right now.....but then I'm not convinced with Suter on JT's line neither. 

Kuzmenko didn't seem to be professional enough for being on EP's line.  I'm not sure why they persist with Mik up there.  I had hopes that Hogs was just going to be reliably good in the playoffs with EP, but perhaps this is just a small slump.  

No it is not helpful.... the current forward lines are getting nothing done.

They are not generating shots or goals and they are not keeping Nashville out of the Canucks zone... in fact the Canucks are being totally dominated in both O-Zone and D-Zone.  The Canucks need to be playing in the Preds zone to win this series... they cannot continue to hope for miracles.

Pettersson is at his best when he is in the O-Zone... but to get there, he needs help from someone on his line who can give and go, and dangle.  Hoglander is overwhelmed with his first playoffs and lack of size... Mikheyev is invisible.

Either re-unite the Lotto Line or put Lindholm with Pettersson.

I just want to say that hockey is a team sport. Lindholm and our third line have looked great as they compete against weaker defenders and poorer centers. Petey is not doing everything I would like to see, but he is soaking up abuse from a tough Nashville team and we are up 3-1 while using our third string goalie. I would typically pile on the WTF train here especially after signing the big contract but for once I am going to try something new. At the beginning of the season I thought we might be in the running for Celebrini. Not what I wanted (predicted Canuck wins for every game) and here we are. Management made some good moves and Tochett set the team up for success. I am going to assume that a combination of weaker linemates, heavy opposition and perhaps a minor injury are slowing him down but we are winning and that is all that matters right now. Root for our team and stop picking apart the individuals. Go Canucks Go!!

6 hours ago, 43isprime said:

He was indeed

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/courier-archive/news/elias-pettersson-was-even-faster-than-we-thought-at-the-fastest-skater-competition-3092495

• Upvote 1