{GDT} Game #68 - Washington visits Vancouver - March 16th, 2024

futurefilm

Good short read 

Three days before last Friday’s NHL trade deadline, reports surfaced that the Canucks, Pittsburgh Penguins and Boston Bruins were discussing a potential three-way trade that would see Lindholm flipped to the East Coast and Jake Guentzel land in Vancouver.

“It wasn’t upsetting,” Lindholm said after Friday’s practice at the University of B.C. “I was more nervous, kind of. I mean, you never know in this business right? It was just rumours, but it definitely affected me a little bit. I just got here and then it looks like you're on your way out again? It was kind of good it just lasted for a couple of days. These days, you know, it's tough to not see and hear everything. But it definitely affected me a little bit.”

At his post-deadline press conference one week ago, Canucks general manager Patrik Allvin was upset that Lindholm’s name surfaced publicly.

“I don't think that's the respect or integrity of the league,” Allvin said. “Sometimes it's just very unfortunate it is a guessing game. Yeah, it's not fair.”

Both Allvin and coach Rick Tocchet spoke with Lindholm to reassure him he was part of the Canucks’ playoff plans. Lindholm is an impending unrestricted free agent whose final season under contract has been tumultuous and disappointing.

“I always pride myself on being honest with the player,” Tocchet told Sportsnet on Friday. “Patrik, we have a great relationship, and he never sat me down and said we were shopping him. Now, whether a team inquired about him or something, that's a whole different animal. I think that's really what it came down to. So I just really tried to be honest with Lindy. He's trying to be a pro. But I'll tell you, it can affect players.”

At least that uncertainty has passed, and Lindholm knows he’ll be finishing his contract with the Canucks and going to the Stanley Cup playoffs next month.

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Remember when the 2 man advantage was super rare? You'd literally have to murder someone on the ice to warrant a penalty if you were already down a man. Now 5 on 3s are used as tools by the refs to "manage" (control and decide the outcome of games.)  I have no faith in the NHLs officiating but the Canucks need to dig deep, push back way harder. They did the one thing they couldn't do against the Avs and that was to sit back. When they get up on teams they must continue to push forward, they can't pull their foot off the gas.

Friendly reminder that both these calls where calls that put the opposition on a 5 on 3 PP.  The refs know these aren't penalties, and they'd never be called if the score was tied.

The Oscar goes to...

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

Fuck Ovi and Gretzky!  GO CANUCKS GO!

I miss the good old days when Stetcher was the heart and soul of our D core and Sutter was our foundational piece and Hutton always had something to smile about 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I dig how the score had the playoff picture preset now updated for current standings. Nashville is on fire lately but the Knights are also dangerous, no easy draw really

6F8AEA52-673B-4B18-B087-303429D025D6.png

Doesn't matter where the Nucks finish, there will be no easy route out of the first round, every team could potentially beat us and vice versa

Should be entertaining 

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

Or perhaps add to the misery with another same-size statue of Naslund's, "We choked." (jk oc)

tenor.gif?itemid=13337275

....or one of Burrows badgering an official when he's on a different team in a different league. I heard that they used that in training sessions for NHL officials. I wonder if they still do?

didn't mean to stir things up

Rhode Island Bald Faced Hornet Control: RI Hornet Control

Edited by RWMc1

23 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Doesn't matter where the Nucks finish, there will be no easy route out of the first round, every team could potentially beat us and vice versa

Should be entertaining 

Some teams are big, hard hitting and fast, some defensively frustrating and can shut you down easily, I can see something like

Vegas 1st rd,

Edmonton 2nd rd,

Colorado conference final. 

That hurts just thinking about it. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Hughes said:

Oh boy not only did Putin honey dick ovi he might of honey dicked you as well. the interview gifsninja GIF by hero0fwar

I didn't realize his signature move was called that, but he's scored a lot of goals in the highlights i've seen. Not sure if the wild or his opponents were better divers though.

I'll have to pay $20 to hear announcers i don't want tonight or....

2 hours ago, Captain Hughes said:

I hope zadorov takes ovi out for the rest of his career. Zadorov man enough to say he's against the war in Ukraine and ovi is a putin loving asshole. Hundreds of thousands of dead russians and Ukrainians and ovi still loves the guy, he's his buddy. Fuck ovi 

It would be like draisitle saying Hitler is an OK dude. 

Donating 10 bucks for every goal the Canucks score tonight to the Ukrainian military.  Fuck Putin and fuck Ovi.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, WiDeN said:

Petterson needs to be far more direct. He is always looking for the cheeky skill play, which is great when it works, but it's often how they lose possession. He needs to make the high percentage play, which is often less sexy. 

It looks to me like he gets frustrated after a couple plays get interrupted, then he hangs his head as he heads back to the bench. After that he's more likely to try to beat three players by himself, which doesn't usually turn out well. At the beginning of the year he wasn't having these problems, because he was playing the system better. 

I know he and Garland haven't paired well in the past, but I've often wondered what it would look like with Garland and Joshua on Petey's wings. 

Anyway, I'm no hockey guru, so what do I know. I just hope he finds his game before playoffs. 

I agree with this.

Keep it simple(r). Not always....but mix it up.

Trying to dangle through 2-3 players isn't easy so use the players around you. Keep them guessing.

10 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Some teams are big, hard hitting and fast, some defensively frustrating and can shut you down easily, I can see something like

Vegas 1st rd,

Edmonton 2nd rd,

Colorado conference final. 

That hurts just thinking about it. 

A while back I thought Nashville would be the easiest matchup, they've definitely changed my mind 

None of Vegas, Nashville, LA, or Edmonton are appealing 

St. Louis wouldn't worry me as much, neither would Minnesota, but I'd be a bit surprised to see either claw their way in 

Whoever comes out of the central will be a monster, none of Dallas, Colorado, or Winnipeg would be fun to match up against in a seven game series 

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Be a great night to start. Onwards; Upwards!

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Good short read 

I keep saying it but they need to try him with Miller. That would get his offensen going, and it would be one hell of a matchup line.