[PGT] Capitals at Canucks

Just now, Iron Fist said:

94 points is usually the ballpark to clinch 8 seed.    i don't think we need a 104 points to clinch second wildcard

Clinching means 100% guaranteed and although we probably will not need that many, 6 points at this point does not guarantee a playoff stop.

15 minutes ago, Jatt Sharabi said:

So you're telling me it was worth giving up kuzmenko, plus a top prospect, plus a 1st round pick for a dude that can win faceoffs. 

You sir are a turd 

lol goodbye

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Clinching means 100% guaranteed and although we probably will not need that many, 6 points at this point does not guarantee a playoff stop.

Were ahead of Vegas by 15 points. ahead of LA by 13 points. There is absolutely no way either will even come close to catching us this late in the season. Jesus the rule of thumb is if you are more that 4pts out of a playoff spot by American Thanksgiving, you are probably not making it to the playoffs. Sleep well the Canucks are in.

1 hour ago, Dom said:

They've averaged 2.7 GF in the last 19 games, that's with an inflated 10-7 L. Powerplay is DOG shit, 15% since ASG. Could they, sure... but I don't think so. 

ya teams must have figured us out 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Were ahead of Vegas by 15 points. ahead of LA by 13 points. There is absolutely no way either will even come close to catching us this late in the season. Jesus the rule of thumb is if you are more that 4pts out of a playoff spot by American Thanksgiving, you are probably not making it to the playoffs. Sleep well the Canucks are in.

Shit happens.

• Haha 1

Late comments on a disappointing game.

1. Another close "low-event" game that could have gone either way. The all-strength expected goals differential was 2.08 to 2.06 for the Canucks.  The Canucks had a poor second period but had a good push in the third and just could not get a bounce when they needed one.

2. So the Canucks were kind of unlucky to come away with nothing, but they need to do better at home against a team like Washington. Washington is pushing for a playoff spot but the Canucks should look better than they did tonight.

3. The Canucks were playing tight defence and did not give up much but they need more energy on offense. Post-game Tocchet emphasized the need to "get inside" (take the puck toward net) and to get shots on net. It isn't easy at this level and guys are tired. I hope they can battle through it.

4. PDG made a poor play on the first Washington goal. He needs to get to the puck at the blueline and get it out. He should have been moving toward the puck instead of standing still. That line (PDG-Lafferty-Blueger) had a bad night, credited with 0 scoring chances for and 6 against.

5. Miller-Boeser-Mik looked good. Cannot say the same for any other line although when Tocchet threw Petey together with Lafferty and Podz in the 3rd period they were good.  Still waiting for more from Lindholm. Wonder if we will see the lines shuffled for the next game.

6. No complaints about DeSmith. He may have moved too far out of his net on the Ovi goal but hard to say. Solid game from him. He is not the problem.

7. Really need to come back with a good game against Buffalo on Tuesday. Not sure if the team needs more rest or more practice. Fortunately, I am sure Tocc has a better idea than I do.

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Canucks are 0-1-1 in this "easy schedule" not the end of the world. But all this talk the last 3 or 4 seasons about  "the tough schedule", Canucks finally have an easy schedule and not capitalizing on it 

• chaos 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Still 5th in the league in GF per game, lol. 

Trends are trends - no point in looking at season totals to explain our current struggles.  There has been an obvious drop in quality since the break.  

Difference tonight was that the Caps are desperate for points and played like it - whereas the Canucks are trying to put some urgency in their game again  (as RT recently said  - lets  start getting back to the grind). I also thought they missed the net too many times in the third - sometimes you don't need to hammer every shot - just get it on goal. The Canucks mild struggles resulting in lost points have now also opened the door for the Oilers who continue to pick up points each game and are inching closer.

Even tonight, thought team looked tired / flat at times so not sure if there is something else going on given the number of days they have had to regroup + refresh. They really need to show a bit more urgency in their play especially with this favourable schedule -  Hopefully, this happens Tuesday with a full 60 Minute effort.

Just Win.jpg

3 hours ago, stawns said:

It's quite humourous watching all the people who shouted down anyone who dared be objective, self destructing.  Nothing but excuses

Can't win playing about 22 mins of hockey.  They'll be very lucky to get to round 2.  Just enjoy getting there 

When I called the team out during their “good times” when they were clearly struggling some members had their beliefs get the better of them. The truth is the Canucks caught a lot of teams during their bad times and we pumped out a lot more wins than we deserved.

The team still lacks in several key areas. I’m just glad we didn’t sell off the future to support a jaded present.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Shit happens.

It would take a catastrophic, historical, all-time choke job collapse for the Canucks to fall out of playoff contention.  With just 14 games left, the Minnesota Wild (the 9th place team in the West) is 18 points (or 9W) behind us.  You honestly don't think this team can win... 3 of the next 14 games?  Only two NHL teams have failed to win 3 of their last 10 games: Pittsburgh and San Jose.  Columbus has won 3 of their last 10.  Anaheim has won 3 of their last 10.  Fucking Chicago has won three of their last 10. 

So you really think we can't take 3 out of 14?  This overall drop in form is concerning, but you honestly think this team is in danger of turning into hot garbage?

• Cheers 2
  • chaos 1

16 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

It would take a catastrophic, historical, all-time choke job collapse for the Canucks to fall out of playoff contention.  With just 14 games left, the Minnesota Wild (the 9th place team in the West) is 18 points (or 9W) behind us.  You honestly don't think this team can win... 3 of the next 14 games?  Only two NHL teams have failed to win 3 of their last 10 games: Pittsburgh and San Jose.  Columbus has won 3 of their last 10.  Anaheim has won 3 of their last 10.  Fucking Chicago has won three of their last 10. 

So you really think we can't take 3 out of 14?  This overall drop in form is concerning, but you honestly think this team is in danger of turning into hot garbage?

What I think or you think or anyone else thinks is irrelevant, even with 3 more wins we have not clinched a playoff spot. Not sure what your argument is but I understand math can be difficult.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

What I think or you think or anyone else thinks is irrelevant, even with 3 more wins we have not clinched a playoff spot. Not sure what your argument is but I understand math can be difficult.

98 points are enough this season to clinch the playoffs

• ThereItIs 1

Pettersson can't get it going. Lindholm can't get it going. May as well put them together and let them figure it out together. Petey/Lindholm was what they hoped would fit when they made that deal, and it could still work. In the meantime, it won't be worse than what is happening now.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just watched the game after work. 

We're too fucking soft without Juul's. 

Put Juul's on the 4th. Lafferty can't hit.

Juul's can help swing momentum and keep opposing forwards honest.

Fuckin play Juul's already you fucking morons.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

98 points?   There have been years 89 is enough.   Usually 93-94 is plenty.    The team does not need 12 points to "clinch".   That's goofy.     This year things are tighter then some years, the West is Best, but there still is a significant drop off between the top four teams, and the rest.    One more win wouldn't clinch as a result ... two likely would.    96 points, can't remember the last time it took that many to get in.   98, don't think that's ever happened. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

When I called the team out during their “good times” when they were clearly struggling some members had their beliefs get the better of them. The truth is the Canucks caught a lot of teams during their bad times and we pumped out a lot more wins than we deserved.

The team still lacks in several key areas. I’m just glad we didn’t sell off the future to support a jaded present.

If this is how you feel, wouldn't re-signing EP be doing exactly that?   Selling the future.   One heck of a trade chip off the table. 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

You don't think winning critical faceoffs is important in the playoffs?

Like LE, Lindholm is good at the "little things".   Like winning  1/10 more face offs then the average face off man. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Correction.  It's 6 wins.  And that 6 wins is if literally all the other competing teams win all their games.  So if Minnesota wins out the season with 14 straight victories, and if all the other playoff teams win as many games as possible, only THEN would we need to win six.

Don't talk to me about math when you have no idea how to use probability.  Do YOU know what our current probability is of making the playoffs?  Do you or do you not know?