[PGT] Capitals at Canucks

Canucks miss Garland/Bleugar/Joshua.  The momentum they create and scoring was big.  Maybe Lindholm can work out btw those two-if not dont be scared to go back to Bleugar.

I believe in Hoagie/EP but finding a third they have chemistry w has been difficult…

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Maybe too much practising and players are getting irritated.. toccjet said we need practice but since our schedule gotten easier and less games we are sucking. Maybe so many days off are hurting out momentum. 

They got extra days off last week, hasn't helped. 9-game homestands are rare, time to use it.

They need to work on zone entry, dumping and chasing every time isn't the answer, especially when you're down. 

Juulsen>myers too, resting guys is good but myers freewheels too much

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, 1-d said:

Hate say this, but I'm starting to think maybe the long homestand and plenty of rests are doing more harm than good to this team.

Or they are tired from finally having all the practice days... I don't know anymore.

They gave the guys extra days off lately. There's a slight lack of urgency, but then it's only been 4 periods of hockey.

I hope this is a good loss and the team starts building from it. Our best games are still ahead of us. 

• Like 2

Team is fragile.   They had gotten their game going until 3rd period of Colorado, and that carried over to this last game.  

it’s the sign of an inexperienced team.   They need to go through this - better now than getting wiped out in the first round.  Colorado showed them what is coming and they realize it isn’t going to be easy, so they are overthinking it etc etc.   cycle is a few weeks to get their game going again.  But it will come

its no accident that miller is one of the only players who is not going through this - had some experience in NY. 

this year is a learning year.    How fast can they learn?  We will find out!

I agree best chance for a quick turnaround is lotto line and lindholm on second - probably with hog and podz….   Really missing Dakota for that 3rd line back.

so enjoy watching how long it takes to turn over.   

it’s not a big deal - all teams are fragile before they learn how to win (sounds crazy but it’s true).  Normally a team. With this sort of experience just makes the playoffs for their first time…. so they are getting targeted and are learning earlier than most teams who start to push through to success….  But they are getting early lessons which is good.  Will be fun to watch!

8 hours ago, Joshua.Guy said:

You misunderstand. I'm not denying that I get emotional about games. If you met me, I'm like textbook definition of fanatic. I don't get upset when they give an honest effort and just get beat but when they just don't show up it gets on my nerves. I feel terrible for the fans in the building. My good friend went down from PG tonight with his wife and two young kids for their first live NHL game and were treated to this? That's disrespectful.

Life is what you make it.

Disrespectful? It's a hockey game and if you go with some huge expectations, yes, maybe you willl be disappointed. It was a one goal difference...that means when we pushed at the end if we'd tied it, it would have been the same situation as the Oilers/Avs game. We were in it even if it wasn't the prettiest effort.

If a family with kids doesn't have a great time at the game, that's honestly on them. The overall entertainment value is there...with lots of fun stuff going on for the kids. who often don't care much about what's happening on the ice (at least in a sustained way). They have awesome videos played throughout, Timbits, contests, Crazy P (annoying as hell, but kids lap it up), etc. Every kid I've ever seen on the big screen is loving it...dancing, cheering, etc. If parents are negative that may have an overall impact on what their kids take away from it too. And young kids on a long trip are often less than enthused at times but that's not on the team.

I don't know that there's a textbook definition of fanatic because we all do it our own way. Some here seem less fanatic about the team and more fanatic about being "winners"....almost like it's a badge they somehow earn. For me, being a fanatic is supporting my team. Getting excited when they play...win and lose. So my way is a bit different than yours but I assure you I'm every bit as fanatical about this deal. I just accept losing as part of it.

Sounds like a sense of entitlement if you come for a game and somehow walk away feeling "disrespected". Kind of ridiculous to me. I mean even royalty let loose and had fun here for crying out loud. If you're JUST focused on winning, sure. But if you loosen up and have a night out, it's all ok. Even if/when we lose.

• Cheers 2
  • chaos 1

36 minutes ago, Canucks Nihilist said:

Team is fragile.   They had gotten their game going until 3rd period of Colorado, and that carried over to this last game.  

it’s the sign of an inexperienced team.   They need to go through this - better now than getting wiped out in the first round.  Colorado showed them what is coming and they realize it isn’t going to be easy, so they are overthinking it etc etc.   cycle is a few weeks to get their game going again.  But it will come

its no accident that miller is one of the only players who is not going through this - had some experience in NY. 

this year is a learning year.    How fast can they learn?  We will find out!

I agree best chance for a quick turnaround is lotto line and lindholm on second - probably with hog and podz….   Really missing Dakota for that 3rd line back.

so enjoy watching how long it takes to turn over.   

it’s not a big deal - all teams are fragile before they learn how to win (sounds crazy but it’s true).  Normally a team. With this sort of experience just makes the playoffs for their first time…. so they are getting targeted and are learning earlier than most teams who start to push through to success….  But they are getting early lessons which is good.  Will be fun to watch!

I tend to agree with this.

They've had some experience with losing and I'm sure that creeps back in to their mental game. Especially when games go awry and reffing is bad (like the Avs game (and this one too in moments). But they have to just keep focused and not get lost in those moments.

They'll be fine. They ARE learning and it's not going to be picture perfect.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

My kid is somehow an Edmonton fan… so he made us watch the OT, I was impressed with the battles between mackinnon and Mcdavid, pretty fun to watch that caliber of players go head to head when you’re not really invested in either side. 

Pretty sure we just paid the money for "that calliber" of player... oops. Not sure we're gonna get our monies worth

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Pretty sure we just paid the money for "that calliber" of player... oops. Not sure we're gonna get our monies worth

Although people want to compare based on salaries, you also have to consider that "those two" were both 1st overall picks and expected to do more as a result.

Players get paid on what they're worth to their team and the idea of losing Petey isn't awesome. 

I wish people would quit comparing him to players who SHOULD be better than him and therefore are.

What they get paid isn't on them....agents negotiate with teams and they have the ability to say yes or no.

Petey's shown what he can do....he isn't doing it right now but the fact that some of the fanbase will pull out daggers is sad. Criticism is warranted for sure, but let's also not forget what he has shown and likely will again.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, vancouveryou said:

Since Joshua was out, this team is melting down. DJ is our most valuable player this year.

And the sad thing he will get payed a pittance compared to some of our "star" players. I love this team and the players that give it their all. 

Edited by Joe King
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Like LE, Lindholm is good at the "little things".   Like winning  1/10 more face offs then the average face off man. 

If that win comes with under a min left, in the defensive zone protecting a one goal lead in the last min of a playoff game, you bet. 

Last night, they're down a goal, 12 seconds left and a faceoff in the ozone.  They need a faceoff win to get a shot to tie it...........who did RT have out there to take the draw?  Did he win it?

• Cheers 2

Perspective. Just breathe folks, we'll be ok. And even IF they were to lose every game from here on in and completely fall apart and out of the playoffs....it's been a good run this year. Think back to see how far this team has come. That won't happen, but people are panicking. Putting some unreal expectations on the team (don't lose).

We're all suffering from hockey ptsd to some degree, I get it. But damn this year's been good so far and I hate that it's becoming a hostile environment (again). Yes, the team is dragging right now....it's not like it's been forever.

433610541_10160815023755549_206548907210

Washington played a textbook road game.  Clog the front of the net, keep everything to the outside and block shots.  Nucks lineup have some holes.. they need a skilled winger to play with petey,,  im worried that miller does most of the heavy lifting on his line and will wear down in playoffs.   i agree with hansen, we really lack a couple of wingers.. one that can take some of the work load off miller and the other to play with petey.  Team is very good and love everything else

• Cheers 4

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pretty poor effort these last stretch of games. Tocchet needs to shake things up. To me it's simple:

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Lindholm - Hoglander

Suter - Blueger - Mikheyev

Podkolzin - Lafferty - PDG

That's not bad. Gotta kick start things. That's two opportunities to get playoff ready that have been wasted with apathetic performances. 

Tocchet sounded angry however that stinking loss falls just as much on him. It's the lack of urgency by most of the team that is alarming.

What an absolute crap show.

This is my 4th or 5th year I've travelled to the caps/ mucks game, tickets in a close row (row two last night) but I think this was the worst loss of those 5.

what was it....5-6 mins in their own zone in the second period?

mucks #1 in the west we're told via star wars montages and Miller sprouting on ad nauseum about playoff type hockey....

Playing the leagues second oldest team, their 4th game in 6 nights, on the opposite side of the country to their home, and as a friend saw (and got a pic) - Ovi was out on the drink the night before.

So and old, tired, worn out team with a hungover superstar and the canucks lose.

fmd.... it really is the hope that gets ya.

what an insipid, weak, surrendering type of loss.

It'S JuSt OnE gaMe....

though I said that after giving away a THREE goal lead against the Avs the other day.

Edited by Canadian_Kanga
10011 001100 100001

10 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

The team will look little different next year, not sure if they'll bring all their ufas back 

Agree with these comments. to me one thing is obvious, the team needs to find a way to better prepare Pettersson both mentally and physically

Personally think the issue is that RT has gotten the team playing the way he wants now and the team was more successful playing less the way he wanted them too.  

We are playing low event hockey now and not being as successful with that.  While we were playing towards playing low event hockey in the fall and winter and playing better with being a little more offensively aggressive and a little more leaning on the front foot and counter attacking.  Team needs to be more offensively aggressive then RT wants them to play and is constructed better to win 5-2 then 2-1.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Canadian_Kanga said:

What an absolute crap show.

This is my 4th or 5th year I've travelled to the caps/ mucks game, tickets in a close row (row two last night) but I think this was the worst loss of those 5.

what was it....5-6 mins in their own zone in the second period?

mucks #1 in the west we're told via star wars montages and Miller sprouting on ad nauseum about playoff type hockey....

Playing the leagues second oldest team, their 4th game in 6 nights, on the opposite side of the country to their home, and as a friend saw (and got a pic) - Ovi was out on the drink the night before.

So and old, tired, worn out team with a hungover superstar and the canucks lose.

fmd.... it really is the hope that gets ya.

what an insipid, weak, surrendering type of loss.

It'S JuSt OnE gaMe....

though I said that after giving away a THREE goal lead against the Avs the other day.

This is your take, and some is bang on. Some is not. The second was awful, yes. The rest of the game wasn't quite as dramatic as some here make it.

Remember....the Ovi's and Oshies of the league are experienced veterans who are also desperate and battling for a spot (as well as their own personal accolades). Those things matter (too).

cApZ  r  oLd

McMichael (had as much ice time as OV) JUST turned 23 in January

Lapierre JUST turned 22 a few weeks ago

Miroshnichenko JUST turned 20

Protas turned 23 in January

Their d's average age is 28 which, for d, isn't old (it's often players in their prime in this position)

Do you know who had the least amount of ice time for the Caps? Old guys Tom Wilson, Max Pacioretty, van Riemsdyk.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

They got extra days off last week, hasn't helped. 9-game homestands are rare, time to use it.

They need to work on zone entry, dumping and chasing every time isn't the answer, especially when you're down. 

Juulsen>myers too, resting guys is good but myers freewheels too much

Myers had a heckuva game last night, Cole was the weak point.

• Cheers 1