[PGT] Capitals at Canucks

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

If mackinnon isn’t playing with rantanen and playing with suter instead I’m willing to bet hes prolly in the 80-90 point range right now. There’s a reason why rantanen is being paid 9+ mil vs what suter gets paid. Like some of you are comparing ep to mackinnon all day. So why are we not comparing how much mackinnon line is being paid vs how much ep line is being paid? Mackinnon line without makar just the forward cost 27million. Ep line right now cost 10mil this year? 14mil next year? 

I would challenge that I'd rather have a difference maker at 70 pts than a player who can't perform unless he's on a stacked line

At this point it’s really too tough to predict anything. The playoffs are a crapshoot and we have a solid team in place to get things done. Will we get hot towards the end stretch or will we fizzle out? Who knows.

We could get hot in the last 6-8 games and head into rd 1 with a bunch of swagger. Or, we could go sub - 500 in that stretch and eat a bunch of humble pie. It’s hard to say which one is preferable.

can we stay healthy?

can we get the PP going?

will Demko go god mode?

will Petey turn things on? 
can the boys handle the pressure?

will the puck luck be in our favour?

do kids still love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

lot of what ifs. Let’s just enjoy the ride because the only thing we can be sure of is the fact that the playoffs are completely unpredictable 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pretty poor effort these last stretch of games. Tocchet needs to shake things up. To me it's simple:

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Lindholm - Hoglander

Suter - Blueger - Mikheyev

Podkolzin - Lafferty - PDG

At this point lindholm does not belong in the top 6 

Let somebody else have it

34 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Not to nitpick, but he never used the word coasting. Cruising...which, for me, is slightly different but that's neither here nor there. 

Anyhow, the reason I quoted the clip is I thought the same thing last night when I saw their guy going off hurt after blocking a shot. GO FOR THE JUGULAR but they didn't react with urgency despite clearly having a momentary advantage there.

I screamed at my TV at that point and I'm kind of happy to hear that someone else saw it too.

A reporter said coasting and he said "you're right" 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Loui eriksson did more little thing than

elias lostholme

Did Eriksson win faceoffs at near a 60% clip or even consider going to battle in the dirty areas?

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

I would challenge that I'd rather have a difference maker at 70 pts than a player who can't perform unless he's on a stacked line

So do we know they are a difference maker if they are not on a stacked line? Coz mackinnon have never played without a rantanen nush landeskog etc in his career when he started to “dominate”

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

Lostholme and Paytterson 

good match 

Haha too funny.  In all seriousness tochett system favors heavy aggressive play drivers.  Petey and Lindholm are just not that type of player.  I'm not saying it's gonna be a huberdeau situation but I could see this as a gudreau type thing.  Great with great players but flat on thier own.   Which is fine.  Get open and capitalize on your opportunities but if I have to watch paytterson stick handle the puck into nothingness one more time....well, I'll probably keep watching but I'll be so very disappointed.

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

So do we know they are a difference maker if they are not on a stacked line? Coz mackinnon have never played without a rantanen nush landeskog etc in his career when he started to “dominate”

Sigh...this is a no win argument.  When petey as the highest paid player on the team by almost 50% starts to lead the team in any of the major categories and when you find yourself consistently saying " wow petey was the difference tonight"  I'll concede the loss.  You and I both know it's just not happening lately.

Edited by ronning4center

18 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Eriksson was a very good hockey player for a long time in this league.

Screenshot_20240317_120248_Chrome.jpg

Ok and Lindholm was an elite center when given the opportunity to play in the top six. The points aren't coming right now but at the very least he's doing everything else.  

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Sigh...this is a no win argument.  When petey as the highest paid player on the team by almost 50% starts to lead the team in any of the major categories and when you find yourself consistently saying " wow petey was the difference tonight"  I'll concede the loss.  You and I both know it's just not happening lately.

Oh I don’t disagree he’s not been playing well but the management throughout his career have made it a non priority to get him a sidekick. Heck even a proven top 6 the most expensive player he played with in his career so far is loui eriksson prior to miller contract kicking in 

20 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Haha too funny.  In all seriousness tochett system favors heavy aggressive play drivers.  Petey and Lindholm are just not that type of player.  I'm not saying it's gonna be a huberdeau situation but I could see this as a gudreau type thing.  Great with great players but flat on thier own.   Which is fine.  Get open and capitalize on your opportunities but if I have to watch paytterson stick handle the puck into nothingness one more time....well, I'll probably keep watching but I'll be so very disappointed.

Petey continues to stick handle because his line mates are not open. He's trying to create time enough for that but his line mate(s) don't have as high of a hockey IQ as him.

He's still getting stronger and better. Whining about an 8 year contract based on the last stretch of games seems like more media scum garbage.

• Cheers 1

We are playing better but it doesn't show. Everyone wants high scoring games, but the Canucks are learning to win close Playoff style games. We just have cut out those lapses when something doesn't go our way.

I often wonder if fans would rather see high scoring games or win the damn CUP?

13 hours ago, Pears said:

Once Joshua's back you gotta reunite that third line and the lotto line. Once that happens we'll be ok. We'll still be ok regardless losing two in a row without our Vezina calibre goalie isn't the end of the world.

I second that.  I would like Lotto line back together asap and our 3rd line reunited when Joshua returns and we suddenly have two lines.  That leaves us with Lindholm.  I think that they are not using the Lotto line until the playoffs.  Do not want to give away our hands just yet.   There is a reason why Lotto line was used as our opponents was all eastern conference teams back in January.   If we show our hand to western conference teams, they would play and adjust in a potential playoff match-up and we do not want that to be shut down.     You would want to send top D that Lotto line could able to handle and we still can dominate against their top D and still open up the whole game with our secondary lines against weaker D.  

• Like 1

Offence has dried up as teams clamp down heading into the post season.

Still way too many games to go to predict one way or another IMO.  

We have guys who can score. Lots of guys who can chip in. Obviously it’d be nice to go into the playoffs on a high, but staying healthy is still paramount to me.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 3

38 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Eriksson was a very good hockey player for a long time in this league.

Screenshot_20240317_120248_Chrome.jpg

And then chose to refuse to even attempt to play like an NHLer in either end of the ice.  Lindholm is overpaid, but he's at least clearly still at least trying.  He's more likely to bust out of his slump than a lazy floater like LE.

• ThereItIs 1

13 hours ago, Pears said:

Just watch we'll go something like 5-1 or 4-2 over the remaining 6 games of this home stand and posters like stawns will be nowhere to be found. 

He's on my ignore list.  Don't worry about stawns.  It is ok to criticize the Canucks but he never say good things that the Canucks did so ignore him.  Even in a win, he is like this the next day win or lose.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Last nights loss was worse to me than almost any loss this season.  In part because of the time of year. In part because they had just come off a bad loss to a great team where they dominated them for two periods.  The Capitals were so obviously an inferior team to the Avs. That was a very winnable game.

What's scary about it is that there is no explanation.  They are playing at home, they just got their lunch handed to them by Colorado.  After a game that they should have  been pissed about losing, and should have been more determined to get on track again.  What is also a bit scary is the look behind Tocchet's eyes in the last scrum. Usually he has a calming effect and looks in control and confident about working with the players to "correct" some weakness.  Looks like he knows what he has to do. When Rick starts looking helpless, that's not a good sign.

Okay, panic mode over. 

I still believe in this team and the coach. But they kind of scared me last night. If there was a game to win for sure, it was that one. I'd be more worried if it was only a few games left in the season though. I still have faith they can get on another winning streak and gain some momentum going into the playoffs. After 53 years in the sad club......

152201-1024__17719.1669944512.jpg?c=2

• Like 1