[PGT] Capitals at Canucks

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

Loui eriksson did more little thing than

elias lostholme

What's your logic given that Loui Eriksson played for the Canucks for 5 years ( or around 250 games ) vs Elias Lindholm has played less than a 1/4th of one season ( or 19 games ). Less than 10% of the games so how can they even be compared?

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Joshua.Guy said:

Then where was the effort? 

I think you're leaning into the disrespect thing a little too much here. Like I said last night, I move on quickly. I'm a fan but I don't let it control my mood outside of game time. 

Why can't you just admit their effort last night was garbage? Twenty thousand people bought tickets to that game. Many travelled to see them and they barely show up. Good grief.

Did you not see the final ten minutes that was almost exclusively played in the Washington Capitals end? It was an amazing ten minute run of Canucks Hockey that just didn't happen to come up with a goal. It had everything else we are collectively looking for here in this thread. They lost 2 to 1. They owned the final ten minutes and the Caps tendie stood on his head. Next game we likely win by 3. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Did you not see the final ten minutes that was almost exclusively played in the Washington Capitals end? It was an amazing ten minute run of Canucks Hockey that just didn't happen to come up with a goal. It had everything else we are collectively looking for here in this thread. They lost 2 to 1. They owned the final ten minutes and the Caps tendie stood on his head. Next game we likely win by 3. 

I saw them pass around the perimeter for a few shifts. Lob some shots in from the point with no traffic. Yay. 

The power play early in the third had 5 shots and the rest of the period had maybe 7?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Tocc

"We need to get shots through to the net. Not over the next...it makes no sense." Love it. Tocc definitely has some of the best post game comments from a coach I have ever heard. Common sense, clinical and no bs.

I'm glad he's finally calling this out. There are way too many missed nets. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

We are playing better but it doesn't show. Everyone wants high scoring games, but the Canucks are learning to win close Playoff style games. We just have cut out those lapses when something doesn't go our way.

I often wonder if fans would rather see high scoring games or win the damn CUP?

last night and the game against the avs were "close playoff style games" and...we blew leads in both of them and lost.

People should be concerned and for good reason.  Tocchet needs to sort the team out fast because if our team is currently living and dying by Miller Hughes and Hoggy we're in trouble

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

I saw them pass around the perimeter for a few shifts. Lob some shots in from the point with no traffic. Yay. 

The power play early in the third had 5 shots and the rest of the period had maybe 7?

Love the lob shots. Maybe we can lob one over the goalies head. I’d call it the Turkey annihilator 

39 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

If you think Miller's shot are lobs I challenge you to stand in front of one. Petey's too. Hronek's slap shot? 

If you over exaggerate things you lose the point you're trying to make. 

They shot some wide and high and 27 were blocked (see their player limp toward the bench?)

It's not like they weren't good solid shots that were just off target. They also tried some tips in that just missed and are often effective.

48 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Petey continues to stick handle because his line mates are not open. He's trying to create time enough for that but his line mate(s) don't have as high of a hockey IQ as him.

36 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Offence has dried up as teams clamp down heading into the post season.

Still way too many games to go to predict one way or another IMO.  

We have guys who can score. Lots of guys who can chip in. Obviously it’d be nice to go into the playoffs on a high, but staying healthy is still paramount to me.

I said this earlier.  What's not working to my mind is spreading out the talent over 3 lines.  If you want our guys to be effective as games tighten up defensively, they need to have talented options to play with.  Load up the top 2 lines with our best 6 forwards. 

Mikheyev Miller Boeser

Hoglander Pettersson Lindholm

Earlier in the season people were calling Joshua, Blueger, Garland the best 3rd line in hockey.  Why not revisit that once Joshua is back.?

Joshua Blueger Garland

PDG Suter Lafferty

Podkolzin has been much better but seems to rush things especially in the defensive zone.  Not quite ready for prime time.

Aman has produced next to nothing.  A sure sign he's a tad over his head imo.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Tocchet sounds concerned about the team’s inability to find that next gear. Hopefully they find it, especially the $11.6 million dollar player. 

Not exactly an excuse but imo our core group is not used what it's like to be top of the NHL or division, more used to losing seasons. They are in unfamiliar territory and may just have to find the next gear.

• Like 1

We have to keep concentrating on as many of our details as we can. No let up. It's something that must be a mindset. This can be our year,

so regression is unacceptable. All I'm saying. The roster is mostly set, gotta iron out the details that have slipped a wee bit. Shouldn't be hard..

48 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Other than being injury prone he's been a great fit and a very steady eddy. The best thing about him is you don't even realize he's playing because he rarely makes any mistakes.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

last night and the game against the avs were "close playoff style games" and...we blew leads in both of them and lost.

People should be concerned and for good reason.  Tocchet needs to sort the team out fast because if our team is currently living and dying by Miller Hughes and Hoggy we're in trouble

It doesn't happen by magic. They developed lazy habits again which resulted in our mini slump. They've been playing the right way again and need to learn to play that way without lapses. mackinnon flopped; that happens. We beat out an icing but it was called and we had to have a tired 4th against their top line; that happens as well. They need to learn to rise above and keep playing their game. It's tough when you are worried about soft calls though. Going through situations like that hopefully strengthens their resolve and helps prepare them for when it really counts.

Until the Playoffs, I suspect certain posters will always have something to be concerned about.

Edited by RWMc1

46 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

And guess what? In the 1st and 3rd the Caps had 10 shots combined.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Not exactly an excuse but imo our core group is not used what it's like to be top of the NHL or division, more used to losing seasons. They are in unfamiliar territory and may just have to find the next gear.

Yes, the core is learning, but they displayed a consistency in effort earlier on this season and now can’t seem to play with much consistency. Either completely dominating teams or putting in 20 minutes of effort and then hanging on for dear life. 

37 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

He wasn't afraid to say they are going for the top of the league or conference at the end.  Aim high. 

Sounds like a video day.  No on ice practice but at least the team is working on some thing with the two day break.  

I don't disagree with having concern. Sure, that's definitely valid. We need to be picking it up at this time of year and fixing mistakes.

Last night sucked bad. Especially when it seemed we were getting back on a good roll after wins over the Kings, Knights, and Jets.

Concern, sure. Emotionally exaggerated, mentally fragile alarmism, hell no ... that's ridiculously unnecessary.

We can't lose sight of our record against top teams, though.

The Canucks have winning records against the Panthers (2-0-0), Rangers (1-0-1), Stars (1-0-1), Oilers (3-0-0), Hurricanes (2-0-0), and Predators (3-0-0).

We’ve broken even against the Bruins (1-1-0), Jets (1-1-0), and Leafs (1-1-0). We haven't beaten the Avs (0-2-1).

Our record is 15-5-3 against top-ten competition. It's a point-percentage of .717.

So, yes, last night sucked and concern is valid, but we're still looking good against playoff competition.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

It s funny-fans and media were slagging on Hughes post game availability, saying they were cookie cutter responses like Horvat etc.  I thought he was being very honest and revealing (to the point of not giving up too much).  Added some nuance etc.  He’s no different than Tocchett really when it comes to breaking down the game (Xs & Os).  

• Vintage 2

The team broke it's stride.

Was in a good rhythm then the ASG and a schedule that was all over the map (literally) in a feast and famine way has them completely off.

I believe the lack of energy reflects the fact that things have eased up and they have too. Have to get out of that mode. Get back to where they were.

• Like 3