[PGT] Capitals at Canucks

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

You must have hated the Canucks every year from inception till the year 2001, possibly with the notable exceptions of 82 and 94. The last ten minutes last night were better than ANY ten minutes from 70s till the 2000's. Just didn't happen to get a goal, and that will happen sometimes. 

I wouldn't say hate but the Penguins were my team through the 90's. Still a fan. I also like Tampa before they were elite. Soft spot for Habs and if Canucks are out I go for the Avalanche. I'm a hockey fan well before I'm a Canucks fan and the sheer amount of excuses and apologists is fucking hilarious around here. They're not excused from criticisms. Why would they be? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I wouldn't even re-sign him for 5. Doesn't add enough dynamics to his line, might as well acquire a high end third liner for 3.5.

I’d rather trade Mikheyev if we can get Lindholm at 5. The center depth would help because we will most likely lose Bluegar.

5 hours ago, Kanagan said:

Why pay him anything? He is not good. Our cup dream was lost for this year when we signed him. Who was responsible for this decision? I'd love to know. Whoever it was should be fired because they are useless judges of talent.  Any poster that suggested EL would be a good signing should never speak again. (lol, jk about the posters here, we aren't paid to do this)

I understand and I’d only sign him if we could move Mikheyev somehow. With Raty the only real center prospect we have and possibly losing Bluegar in the off season we should consider signing him if he comes in at 5M. We will have a lot of wingers making a push over the next year or two and I’d rather allocate Mikheyev almost 5M to center depth.

1 hour ago, Dom said:

We are 8 pts ahead of the Oilers. I hate to say it, but they're going to take the division and we will lose to the Kings in 6 or 7. 

Again if you're so confident, put money on it. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

So in between dominating the lowly Penguins the Oilers have losses to Columbus, Buffalo, and Colorado after blowing a late lead and yet some people think they're this unstoppable god squad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not even remotely.

I disagree - remotely 🙂

Our best pairings and structure is:

Hughes-hronek

Cole-soucy

zad-juulsen

Soucy is better than myers and the rd spot is crucial. When they play myers, soucy shifts left as zad and myers doesn't work. Zad-juulsen works well and gives us better hitting and structure. Myers adds more on offence (though i think zad is underused) but i think we look better with juulsen in and cole/soucy. 

Anyway as i said, good time to rest people before the postseason soon so i expect changes. Wonder if bris would swap in during the last few.

2 hours ago, Dom said:

We are 8 pts ahead of the Oilers. I hate to say it, but they're going to take the division and we will lose to the Kings in 6 or 7. 

Oilers still have three in hand with a much better record over the last ten games. It will be down to the last few games most likely. I expect the Canucks to finish 2nd in the division and somewhere 5-7th in the league (currently 5th based on percent, not points).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I wonder where is the late season drive the team had the previous 2 seasons?

Last two seasons were both different.   But yes waiting to see that too.   

Edited by IBatch

29 minutes ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Oilers still have three in hand with a much better record over the last ten games. It will be down to the last few games most likely. I expect the Canucks to finish 2nd in the division and somewhere 5-7th in the league (currently 5th based on percent, not points).

They are a paper tiger.  No worries. 

• Like 2

For those that are down about the team:

Playoffs a different season, look at the Bruins. “Best team in the history of hockey”. Knocked out in the first round.

Just got to get in. 

Key to playoff success with a skilled team like ours;

1) being good with injuries 

2) goalie on fire 

3) get the right bounces

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Joshua.Guy said:

I wouldn't say hate but the Penguins were my team through the 90's. Still a fan. I also like Tampa before they were elite. Soft spot for Habs and if Canucks are out I go for the Avalanche. I'm a hockey fan well before I'm a Canucks fan and the sheer amount of excuses and apologists is fucking hilarious around here. They're not excused from criticisms. Why would they be? 

Of course they aren't, and you are free to do so, the sheer volume in the post game thread, not you, but in totality just seems uncalled for, so folks are speaking out about how good this team is this year. So good that a 5-3-2 record in the last ten sounds unacceptable to some, 😆 

• MillerTime 1

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

For those that are down about the team:

Playoffs a different season, look at the Bruins. “Best team in the history of hockey”. Knocked out in the first round.

Just got to get in. 

Key to playoff success with a skilled team like ours;

1) being good with injuries 

2) goalie on fire 

3) get the right bounces

Yeah, but our goalie is injured/not in form, and all the bounces we got earlier this year are gone.  You don't even need to look good going into the playoffs.  Florida qualified on the very last day of the season because Pittsburgh lost to dead-last Chicago and second-last Columbus.

Many narratives and perspectives, and the playoffs are a different beast, but who would you rather be?  A top team entering the postseason in excellent form?  Or a mediocre team that scraped by because other teams lost?

There is nothing wrong with winning more regular season games.  I don't think anyone prefers to be the underdog.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

If we could move Mikheyev out I’d rather have Lindholm at 5M instead of Mikheyev at almost 5M. Rather have the depth at center with no real prospects in the pipe line other than Raty. We have a lot of wingers that might make the push so Mikheyev is expendable if only someone wanted him.

Here's an unpopular opinion. I think Mikeyhev is the right guy to play with JT and Boeser. I think they will have success if given time. I like Mikyehevs hustle and ability to get to the puck. Makes Jts life a little easier.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I disagree - remotely 🙂

Our best pairings and structure is:

Hughes-hronek

Cole-soucy

zad-juulsen

Soucy is better than myers and the rd spot is crucial. When they play myers, soucy shifts left as zad and myers doesn't work. Zad-juulsen works well and gives us better hitting and structure. Myers adds more on offence (though i think zad is underused) but i think we look better with juulsen in and cole/soucy. 

Anyway as i said, good time to rest people before the postseason soon so i expect changes. Wonder if bris would swap in during the last few.

Soucy is better on the left side and the team is better with him on the left side.

Hughes Hronek - obvious

Soucy Myers - skating/puck movement 

Zad Juuls - physical pairing

Cole - good depth 

That's the best lineup, imo.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

We shouldn't have to make excuses OR apologize for a team losing every now and then. That's what's hilarious...that people pull out the pitchforks and scream about the team at the first signs of any struggles.

Then we learn they're not even really a fan of this team so much because they love all the teams.

What IS hilarious to me is people who profess their loyalty and longstanding devotion to the team but name off all their other favourites too. And feel that they have all the answers when, really, none of us do. The team doesn't even so how could you?

I love hockey too but this is my team and there's nothing lesser in doing it that way.

Some just switch out when the going gets tough, jump ship.

I've been a fan of this team and only this team for a long time. And I do it the way I want without feeling the need to make excuses or apologize to anyone.

Especially people who try to tell me what this team is when this team is one of their many side projects. Covering all the bases.

I live and die, win and lose by one team. There's no shame in that.

Deb, you are probably one of the biggest excuse-makers on this forum when the Canucks lose.  To you, every loss is decided by the refs.  Every call/non-call is a conspiracy by Toronto/Bettman.  So much of your passion/energy as a Canucks fan isn't centered around the team - it's centered around the officiating.  And every other team is filled with dirty, gutless players.

I for one, welcome the opinion of neutrals, who may not have the in-depth knowledge of our team, but provide valuable outside perspectives we might miss with our tunnel vision.  If someone from Toronto or Calgary or Pittsburgh provides an in-depth analysis of the Canucks, do you value that analysis any less just because they're not a dedicated fan of our team?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Deb, you are probably one of the biggest excuse-makers on this forum when the Canucks lose.  To you, every loss is decided by the refs.  Every call/non-call is a conspiracy by Toronto/Bettman.  So much of your passion/energy as a Canucks fan isn't centered around the team - it's centered around the officiating.  And every other team is filled with dirty, gutless players.

I for one, welcome the opinion of neutrals, who may not have the in-depth knowledge of our team, but provide valuable outside perspectives we might miss with our tunnel vision.  If someone from Toronto or Calgary or Pittsburgh provides an in-depth analysis of the Canucks, do you value that analysis any less just because they're not a dedicated fan of our team?

I smell a suspension coming 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Yeah, maybe my phrasing is a bit too pointed there, but it's hypocritical for her to call out haters who come out after every loss, when she's also there stirring up shit about the refs ruining the game or opponents diving.  I mean, sure you can be whatever kind of fan you want, but she shouldn't try and justify that level of pettiness.  And she really shouldn't try and tell others how to be a fan.

For what it's worth, I am one of the biggest (but not the biggest) analytics nerds on this forum.  I get a lot of shit for it here.  Whatever.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't roll that way. 

I can take it. 

"We shouldn't have to" is what I said.

And that's just weak, pulling out videos for personal attacks. I love me some TBP though so...whatever.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

to call out haters who come out after every loss

Your words, not mine. But yes...nailed it.

This is the part that probably creates a lot of the pushback from us excuse makers. We defend our team because some here "are haters who come out after every loss". 

FTR, I said they haven't played well and are in a funk. Guess you missed that part.

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

Paper tiger who went to the conference finals two years ago and 2nd round last year

And they will lose again.  Nux will take them out in round 2.