[PGT] Capitals at Canucks

6 minutes ago, J-23 said:

At the end of the day, if Lindholm is going to succeed offensively it’s not going to be on the 3rd line. Need to get creative here. We have many options for lines and we need to start looking at different options now. Still some time before the playoffs.

In my opinion, either Boeser or Miller has to be on a line with Pettersson going into the playoffs.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Miller

Hoglander - Lindholm - Boeser

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Lindholm - Miller

Not sure what the lines will be, but will be very surprised if Lindholm isn't moved up into either of the top two lines, once Joshua is back.

Joshua - Bluger - Gar will, or at least should be our 3rd line.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yep, and in fact we'll likely need him to fill a 3rd pair role. I don't see us extending Myers, due to cap issues.

We absolutely have the perfect 3RHD in Juulsen.  What we're gonna have to look for is a 2nd pair RHD... I don't think Myers is the guy for that.  I like Myers as a 3RHD, but with Juulsen at under $1M, it just makes way more sense to let Myers walk and keep Juulsen.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-???

Zadorov-Juulsen

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

We absolutely have the perfect 3RHD in Juulsen.  What we're gonna have to look for is a 2nd pair RHD... I don't think Myers is the guy for that.  I like Myers as a 3RHD, but with Juulsen at under $1M, it just makes way more sense to let Myers walk and keep Juulsen.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-???

Zadorov-Juulsen

??? has to be a cheapie free agent. The pro-scouting group needs to hit a cheap home run there. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

??? has to be a cheapie free agent. The pro-scouting group needs to hit a cheap home run there. 

There's a lot of options as of this moment... but we know that the list will dramatically shrink as guys are re-signed...

Pesce

Tanev

Montour

Roy

Dumba

Walker

Demelo

Miller

Myers

TBH, I think we'd find much better value through a trade.  UFAs always get overpaid... especially RHD.  Don't ask me who, but this management group seems to find some real quality guys that are a bit off the radar.

• Cheers 3
  • MillerTime 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

There's a lot of options as of this moment... but we know that the list will dramatically shrink as guys are re-signed...

Pesce

Tanev

Montour

Roy

Dumba

Walker

Demelo

Miller

Myers

TBH, I think we'd find much better value through a trade.  UFAs always get overpaid... especially RHD.  Don't ask me who, but this management group seems to find some real quality guys that are a bit off the radar.

yea it really depends on if we move both Garly and Mik, that really opens things up. 

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Some here hone in on Miller's play (only on off nights) and overlook Myers.

Overlook Myers…. ?On CDC? Are you serious? Myers has never been overlooked, he's been over-crucified and under appreciated. For example, there was little shit talk about him his first season, the COVID season the shit talk ramped up, the year where was paired with OEL and they never got any mentions or praise for being a top 5 shutdown pair league wide against the league’s toughest competition. Then last year its all fingers at Myers (and OEL) this year, Myers started off with a few rough games and after that point he has been pretty much defensively sound. Yet no one tips their cap to him, they just bite their tongue and wait for a bad game to trash the guy.

guys who get overlooked for bad games - Hughes and Hronek. Used to be Pettersson before his new deal and now this venomous fan bases cant wait to sink their teeth in after every game.

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Upvote 3
  • chaos 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yea it really depends on if we move both Garly and Mik, that really opens things up. 

Based on my primitive math, we really only need to move one of those 2 guys. 

The way things are panning out, I think I'd actually walk away from Lindholm and spend big bucks on a really good 2RHD like Pesce or Roy.

Just now, HKSR said:

Based on my primitive math, we really only need to move one of those 2 guys. 

The way things are panning out, I think I'd actually walk away from Lindholm and spend big bucks on a really good 2RHD like Pesce or Roy.

I'm still in the happy about Lindy camp. He's made some stellar defensive plays and I do think things will turn around for him on offence. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, J-23 said:

At the end of the day, if Lindholm is going to succeed offensively it’s not going to be on the 3rd line. Need to get creative here. We have many options for lines and we need to start looking at different options now. Still some time before the playoffs.

In my opinion, either Boeser or Miller has to be on a line with Pettersson going into the playoffs.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Miller

Hoglander - Lindholm - Boeser

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Lindholm - Miller

Imo the duo's should be;

Miller - Lindholm - ????

???? - Pettersson - Boeser

???? - Blueger - Garland

Put Mikheyev / Podkolzin / Hoglander in those open spots wherever you prefer.

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Imo the duo's should be;

Miller - Lindholm - ????

???? - Pettersson - Boeser

???? - Blueger - Garland

Put Mikheyev / Podkolzin / Hoglander in those open spots wherever you prefer.

I think someone posted somewhere some advanced stats on the various Petey lines in the past.  The best one was actually a Hoglander-Petey-Podkolzin line.  Maybe it's time to revisit that.  It would certainly provide excellent value if it clicks again.

• Cheers 2

On 3/17/2024 at 12:07 AM, NoCupSyndrome said:

Was at the game, Canucks owned the play when they moved their feet but simply stopped skating in the second and early in the third. When they moved their feet, it was all Canucks. 

I don't get the sense that any of the lines have an identity right now. Would love to see a new lineup that provides clearer roles:

EP Miller Boeser (1st line offense, need these guys going)

Mik Lindholm Podz/Hogs (shut down line)

DJ Blueger Garland (energy, secondary scoring)

Laff Suter Hogs/Podz (energy, extra scoring)

Tocc said he doesn't like the lotto line but this team needs some juice. Plus, why did they get Lindholm if not to put him in the top six. I feel like the above lineup is more balanced, provides clearer roles, and puts guys in their proper spots.

And above is why Lindholm is valuable; allows us to stack a line w/o causing major issues downstream. I agree right now its time to change things up to get the team going again. Losing happens...but losing is unacceptable when it is related to effort.

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Pesce

Tanev

Montour

Roy

Dumba

Walker

Demelo

Miller

Myers

I'd chuck Cole on that list too; he's an adequate bridge on the cheap (<2m)

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-???

Zadorov-Juulsen

The key there is term. What we don't want to do is sign a guy to a longterm contract and prevent development from within. We need some talented guys on ELCs to some the cap out.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I do find some of what you say there ironic considering how much time you spend policing fandom here. 

Both head coaches submit a review of officiating after every single game, what they understood what they didn’t understand. Those are reviews by the league and every game undergoes a review and feedback is submitted to the officiating crew. 
They are also graded on each individual game. That consolidation of grading is used in assigning officials to playoff games,as things progress only the top ones remain. It is also used in job review. 

You could have looked that up in the extensive amount of time you have been arguing about this. 

Why ask what the review process is when your conclusion at the end is just saying “I am going to believe what I want to believe no matter what the process is. 

Whilst that may be true, when the bell curve is so absolutely low, does it matter how they're reviewed? They're clearly not showing any signs of improvement. In fact, I'd say they've regressed. I used to like a couple refs and feel they were extremely consistent, now I don't have one that I find is on 90% of the time. The refs are very inconsistent with calls, even the black and white ones such as holding of the stick, ripping off helmets, etc. 

For all of the grey area in reffing, you'd think that they'd establish a criteria. I ref soccer and even Alberta soccer has better clarity on how to call certain fouls than a professional league. There's simply way too much game management involved that our expectation of good reffing is the absolute lowest bar to achieve. We get happy when there are zero bad calls in a game or the reffing feels consistent with missed calls. That's how bad the reffing is. That should be the norm. On a typical game, we see a call being made that you see a handful of other times throughout the game not being called. 

Just because there's a review doesn't mean the review provides much of anything. Also in Alberta soccer there's reviews, however most reviews don't actually lead to anything. Grandstanding doesn't lead to improvement either. At the end of the day the refs have to care more about the game than they do anything else and it's quite clear they don't. When a linesman can clearly botch a call and doesn't bring the puck to center ice after a blown icing, that shows everything you need to know. When the whole world agrees it's a bad call and you're the only one that doesn't want it rectified, you should be reprimanded. They're literally given grace room to correct their call. His ego got in the way and he'll be doing lines the next game. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

The key there is term. What we don't want to do is sign a guy to a longterm contract and prevent development from within. We need some talented guys on ELCs to some the cap out.

I hear ya.  Max is 7 years.  IMO, Willander will start on the 3rd pair and work his way up.  He probably won't even get a starting job for another 2 years.  Which means he likely won't be a top 4 RHD guy for at least 3 years from now.

If we sign a guy to a 6 year deal, that'd be fine IMO as Willander will still be on an ELC for 1/2 of that time.  For example, if we sign Roy to a 6 year deal then...

2nd Pair / 3rd Pair:

2024-25:  Roy / Juulsen

2025-26:  Roy / Juulsen

2026-27:  Roy / Willander?

2027-28:  Roy / Willander

2028-29:  Willander / Roy

2029-30:  Willander / Roy (possibly trade Roy in his last year?)

I'd stay away from the full 7 year deals.  5 to 6 years is max IMO because of the above timeline.

22 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think it all depends on how much Lindholm wants.  If he's realistic about it, based on his production, he's really a $6.xx AAV player.  Not the $8M+ that some pundits have been saying.  At under $7M, I'd keep Lindholm.  Over $7M and pushing $8M, and I'd consider walking if it meant we could use that money and pickup a Pesce or Roy in free agency.

yep, thats very fair. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

We don't have exceptionally talented youngsters on ELCs just yet.  I don't think Willander will be ready next year.  Cole McWard?

I think we should just sign some old dude for 1 year, the same way we did for Ian Cole.  Chris Tanev?

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I hear ya.  Max is 7 years.  IMO, Willander will start on the 3rd pair and work his way up.  He probably won't even get a starting job for another 2 years.  Which means he likely won't be a top 4 RHD guy for at least 3 years from now.

If we sign a guy to a 6 year deal, that'd be fine IMO as Willander will still be on an ELC for 1/2 of that time.  For example, if we sign Roy to a 6 year deal then...

2nd Pair / 3rd Pair:

2024-25:  Roy / Juulsen

2025-26:  Roy / Juulsen

2026-27:  Roy / Willander?

2027-28:  Roy / Willander

2028-29:  Willander / Roy

2029-30:  Willander / Roy (possibly trade Roy in his last year?)

I'd stay away from the full 7 year deals.  5 to 6 years is max IMO because of the above timeline.

7 years scares me; I'd rather sign a little less of a player to a 2-3 year contract to fill the bridge.  With the way Juulsen has developed, you got to take adavantage of his play and cap hit. As such, I'd rather a player like Willander gets overplayed a bit when he is ready (2nd pair; in 2-3years). We just aren't in a position to have extra $$ on the books with the OEL buyout.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

We don't have exceptionally talented youngsters on ELCs just yet.  I don't think Willander will be ready next year.  Cole McWard?

I think we should just sign some old dude for 1 year, the same way we did for Ian Cole.  Chris Tanev?

Agree; an old effective dude on a 2 year contract is ideal. Cole, Tanev, etc fit the bill. Unfortunately, I think we will need to use the phrase "on the cheap" here.....

11 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

7 years scares me; I'd rather sign a little less of a player to a 2-3 year contract to fill the bridge.  With the way Juulsen has developed, you got to take adavantage of his play and cap hit. As such, I'd rather a player like Willander gets overplayed a bit when he is ready (2nd pair; in 2-3years). We just aren't in a position to have extra $$ on the books with the OEL buyout.

I wouldn't sign any player to 7 years either.  I'm thinking 5 to 6 years.  I'd hate for us to mess up Willander's development to save a few bucks.  I'd rather save a few bucks by trading away guys like Mikheyev. 

We need to remember, it's VERY rare for a player to come into this league and do well right away.  Especially a defenceman.  Willander is 19 years old.  In 3 years he's only 22yo.  I'd much rather we shelter him and allow him to develop properly than throwing him into situations he's not ready for only to stunt the ceiling that he has. 

A 5 year deal for a defenceman would be perfect IMO.  6 years max.  Gives time for Willander to come into the league 2 or 3 years from now, and have a solid 2 or 3 years to acclimate to the league before being thrown into a top 4 role.

• Cheers 1