[PGT] Capitals at Canucks

We've got 5 maybe 6 forwards that don't really play a physical game. We're missing Joshua for sure. Garland and Hogs are battlers but not terribly huge per se. Miller always holds his own. I'm excited to see Podz add a physical element.  But with almost half of our forwards finesse skill guys they need some help. Esp with Dak out. We've invested in big dmen, that's where our size is. I'd definitely go 7/11 and put a bigger body hitter on the 4th line.

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Anything else?

I guess at 5v5 he’s kinda neutral. 7 goals for and 9 against. Not helping, but not hurting? He is still adjusting to the system and linemates that are a forever revolving door it seems. Nothing is sticking for very long. Tocchet needs to stop shaking up the lines so much.

idk why he doesnt like the lotto line. But that is our best line and if they just stick that line together and get Hoglander and Mik on Lindholms wing, thats a pretty fast, hard working and strong on the puck line that is quite good defensively. Or.. should be at least. Mikheyev’s defensive game has been pretty weak this season, although understandably he is recovering from surgery

4 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Anything else?

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Well winning the puck back to your top players is pretty important. I’d rather start with the puck than without

He’s very good at winning puck battles.  Watch him in a 1 v 1 down low and hes strong-its not easy for opponents.  Maybe with w bis new linemates they can grind and get the puck to the net.  

8 hours ago, stawns said:

Nobody ever loses because of officiating or a bad call.  They lose because they didn't play well enough to win and sometimes that means not adjusting to the officiating

Ok.  Agree to disagree.   Games have been lost, and series, because of some awfully silly things.     Don't take any issue with Hull's foot in the crease, that was a good goal, no interference.   And a stupid rule in the first place.  

Not sure how teams are supposed to adjust to a hand pass that results in a triple OT GWG.   Or some of the stuff we've seen in the recent past.   The only issue I have with officiating, is it's all over the place.    Luck is brought up a lot these days.    Reffing part of that.   Will the calls go our way.   Yes we need to "beat the refs"...that wasn't something I grew up with as a thing, same with game management as a phrase.      They plan to clean somethings up.  The black and white things.    Where I doubt we will see any improvement, is consistency.   Agree with Fraser,  it's all over the place and their isn't proper get to know you things going on anymore between the refs and the players.   Pretty hard to manage that with 32 teams.   And twice the refs.     

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

He’s very good at winning puck battles.  Watch him in a 1 v 1 down low and hes strong-its not easy for opponents.  Maybe with w bis new linemates they can grind and get the puck to the net.  

And thats where I think Hoglander and Mik on his wings would be a very good line down low and along the walls. They work hard as fuck and incredibly strong on the puck. 

6 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Thats his season totals… i did say his time with vancouver.

Maybe I'm too hard on the guy but I truly think there's more to give. The type of more that you need in the post season. That includes taking the body

and eating the puck when you have to to keep possession ..

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Play them both and give Cole a break

If you play them both, Myers has to be 3rd line. 

He's too inconsistent and too much of a liability. 

Edit: Look, if this is the best you're getting out of him in a contract year - BYE. 

This guy should be playing for his life, or anyone else in their contract year. 

Edited by Barn Burner

27 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

If you play them both, Myers has to be 3rd line. 

He's too inconsistent and too much of a liability. 

Edit: Look, if this is the best you're getting out of him in a contract year - BYE. 

This guy should be playing for his life, or anyone else in their contract year. 

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Juuls

Zads Myers

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Juuls

Zads Myers

Next year - BYE! 

Edit: Not only that, but Zad with Myers is a fucking gong show. Period. 

Edited by Barn Burner

• -AJ- unpinned and unfeatured this topic
8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

That's fine - at least it looks like JR/PA are managing the team with a purpose.  That's the reputation of Trader Jim - if there is a trade to be made, you can bet your ass Rutherford will make it happen.  Ask any Pens/Canes fan if they were happy with JR - they'll say yes.  Now, he left both franchises in a mess of his own making (he once gave up a first round pick for Ryan Reaves), but this management regime has showed a willingness to improve the team.  You cannot say that about Jim Benning.

I think you are being too critical about a team that has overall exceeded anyone's expectations this year.  If we didn't give up that 1st round pick for Lindholm... we would've given it up for someone else.

Interstingly enough and by coincidence, on tonights Global-News sports cast, Squire Barnes reported that JR/PA are NOT going to make an offer to renew Lind-🏠 as they can't justify doing so and paying such big bucks for just a face-off guy who hasn't scored in 14 games!   

This would add credence to the reports by TSN and other Sports Guru's two weeks ago, that the Canucks were franticly trying to unload him at the TDL and proof this trade has been a miserabe flop rivalled only by the Mikayev acquisition.   

Hopefully they've learned the lesson that Jimbo learned - to stay away from old washed-up Swedes!

4 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Juuls

Zads Myers

4 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Next year - BYE! 

Yes you're correct!  It's very likely that 3 of those D's will be long gone as we have 11 UFA/RFA's (5 of them defencemen) that are all on expiring contracts and most - if not all expecting a raise.   

Given that the cap is expected to only go up marginally nest season and the fact that there are some big $$$ contracts needing renewal, and the OEl "Dead-Cap Penalty" is going up to $5 Million/Yr in 18 months, the canucks will be unable to keep many of their players and the experts like Friedman and others predict we will lose 1/4 to 1/3 of our players next season.  

Edited by RU SERIOUS

On 3/17/2024 at 10:49 AM, Gurn said:

Miller is still a very, very good player, though not a top 3 in the league guy.

Perhaps not, but do you remember al the little things he did? 🙂

Call ups

Demotions

College free agent signings.

coaching changes

signing their Euro players

and iirc trades can still be made, but the traded player can't be in the play offs?

Yes, so callups and this roster is our team this year, and competing for presidents trophy highly unlikely college signings get significant time if any.