[Poll] Should I continue trying to engage the Canucks

VegasCanuck

Should I continue to try and engage and involve the Canucks in the future of this board, no matter where it resides.  

97 members have voted

1. 1. To continue or not to continue, that is the question

• Yes, keep pushing them to engage with this fan group to provide access and resources
    • No, let it go
    • No, let it go, but please make sure they understand that this is THEIR lost opportunity

15 minutes ago, 1-d said:

As long as the involvement doesn't include having Aquilini's lawyer as super ultra god admin/mod here...

Jokes aside, did the team actually have any say in how the old CDC board operated?  Truthfully I have no idea. 

Moving forward, I think most feel that the board should now be autonomous, but it would be nice if they created some type of liaison responsibility within the Canucks structure to keep in touch with the board and make sure it's growing again.

What I'd love to see is some type of communication level from them that shows that they are listening to the fan base who pay them. For some fans, they might really enjoy getting some higher access, flow of information, assistance with financing the board and adding members. The fact that at one point, the Canucks Forum had over 5500 members online at ONE TIME, and that it dwindled down to where there was only about 500 unique posters in a month, that's ignoring your fans and specifically, the segment of fans care enough about hockey to show up and talk about it here every day. Maybe invitations to media events etc? Fan creation and networking events? I'm a pretty creative person, I could probably sit around and come up with ideas for hours of how the team could be doing, I'd like to say a better job, but any job of making fans feel more appreciated and heard. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't really have an answer for that, but what I hear on this board, I hear from other hockey fans as well. I think if there was another professional hockey team in Vancouver, Aquilini might see a big drop in his equity valuation based on fans jumping ship. That's a failure on their part, I'm just telling them that starting with this group might be a good place to begin rebuilding fan perception.

eh, fan disposition is strictly performance based. the canucks really have nothing to gain as far as I can tell by indulging a fan forum. it doesn't drive merchandise or ticket sales for them obviously as they have all that data available to them. 

canucks fans are typically mercurial and it's been dark since mid-June of 2011. the fanbase hasn't got past the trauma of that one, hasn't forgiven, hasn't re-engaged, hasn't invested emotionally the same way. even my dad, a fan since before the team was in the NHL, hasn't been able to regain his enthusiasm since 2011. 

a few consecutive years of playoff hockey will cure it all. the playoffs, as the advertising campaign says, are where heroes are made. none of us have any real attachment to this group because there just haven't been any of those big, galvanizing moments that create local heroes. they were on the right track in the bubble -- that chris tanev series clinching overtime goal had the potential to be the first iconic moment for that group, but benning ruined it by letting that group fall apart a couple months later. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

19 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I know it’s pretty damn easy for me to say but I have no further interest in either funding or engagement from the organization. They have already shown that both come with strings attached. Frankly they should be chasing engagement with us fans not the other way around and if they’re too thick to realize that then so be it. Their loss.

See, this is what I'm saying, there's s sizable breakdown in trust of the team management structure within the fan base. I don't think I've seen this much disconnect of fans since before Pat Quinn (RIP) stepped in. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

eh, fan disposition is strictly performance based. the canucks really have nothing to gain as far as I can tell by indulging a fan forum. it doesn't drive merchandise or ticket sales for them obviously as they have all that data available to them. 

canucks fans are typically mercurial and it's been dark since mid-June of 2011. the fanbase hasn't got past the trauma of that one, hasn't forgiven, hasn't re-engaged, hasn't invested emotionally the same way. even my dad, a fan since before the team was in the NHL, hasn't been able to regain his enthusiasm since 2011. 

a few consecutive years of playoff hockey will cure it all. the playoffs, as the advertising campaign says, are where heroes are made. none of us have any real attachment to this group because there just haven't been any of those big, galvanizing moments that create local heroes. they were on the right track in the bubble -- that chris tanev series clinching overtime goal had the potential to be the first iconic moment for that group, but benning ruined it by letting that group fall apart a couple months later. 

I really appreciate everything being said by the fans and reading every response before I message with the team further. Just wanted to know if what I was doing represented what the members of this board wanted and if not, I'll back out of further discussions and move on with the normal work I should be doing right now lol

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I really appreciate everything being said by the fans and reading every response before I message with the team further. Just wanted to know if what I was doing represented what the members of this board wanted and if not, I'll back out of further discussions and move on with the normal work I should be doing right now lol

yeah, don't get me wrong, I respect you taking it upon yourself to try to give the group a voice. I just don't personally see anything to gain. my opinion, let's just go about our business, do our thing like we always have. it didn't matter before that it was an official space, it didn't offer any special look behind the scenes or involvement or communication, it was just a place for us to hang out and shoot the shit about our team (that wasn't hfboards).

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

yeah, don't get me wrong, I respect you taking it upon yourself to try to give the group a voice. I just don't personally see anything to gain. my opinion, let's just go about our business, do our thing like we always have. it didn't matter before that it was an official space, it didn't offer any special look behind the scenes or involvement or communication, it was just a place for us to hang out and shoot the shit about our team (that wasn't hfboards).

At the end of the day, maybe when I send a final message, it will make a dent in how this group was treated. I don't have any real expectations around that, just to know that I put it in front of them and tried to shine a light down a path that might ultimately be better for how the team perceives them in the Vancouver market.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

At the end of the day, maybe when I send a final message, it will make a dent in how this group was treated. I don't have any real expectations around that, just to know that I put it in front of them and tried to shine a light down a path that might ultimately be better for how the team perceives them in the Vancouver market.

I understand the community feeling slighted and disenfranchised, but I really do see it from the team's perspective as well. it was one of a very small number of remaining team forums; it really had become overwhelmingly negative; the terrible Vancouver "media" (as far as I'm concerned, imac is the only actual sports journalist in town. I won't read anybody else) literally take the forum threads and turn them into absurd "articles"; it's a liability on a number of fronts. 

turning the forum off is effectively a way to turn off some small amount of the negative noise surrounding the team. I wish it wasn't this way, it wasn't always this way, but online sports fandom and media has become a toxic nightmare and I don't blame them for wanting to mitigate as much of it as they have control over. 

personally, if I was them, I'd revoke any and all media credentials from the likes of drance and the canucks army cretins, credentials they never earned in the first place and only got because jason botchford campaigned for them. his poisonous legacy. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, tas said:

2011? I haven't gotten past the trauma of the questionable officiating in game 7 1994. And being brutally rag-dolled in 2nd round in 2007. Still cheering though 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I appreciate your effort, but I don't think their decision will be reversed. It's not in their organizational DNA.

I don’t really understand why people are so upset given there’s already an alternative and it looks and feels the same.

why is this a big issue to so many? Honestly, are people bored. This is literally the same site other than the URL. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, BlockerHigh said:

I don’t really understand why people are so upset given there’s already an alternative and it looks and feels the same.

why is this a big issue to so many? Honestly, are people bored. This is literally the same site other than the URL. 

I think its more to do with long term sustainability. Someone is very generously paying to host this, so I know for myself I want to be able to support this site. 

I'll happy for ad's, and also for click-though options to buy merchandise, etc. to make sure it can continue. Administration should be compensated too, that can be a lot of work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BlockerHigh said:

This is literally the same site other than the URL. 

Actually, it's better.  Though because we're not directly affiliated with the team any longer, there are restrictions in other ways, such as the site probably won't be able to call itself "official" until it gets the team's blessing, and can't show any team logos or other trademarked graphics or designs.  You know, IP-rights and all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Spirit of 94 said:

201 1?I haven't gotten past the trauma of the questionable officiating in game 7 1994. And being brutally rag-dolled in 2nd round in 2007. Still cheering though 

Whole finals of 2011, the officiating was brutal and pretty much every market outside of Boston, believes that the league wanted the cup in Boston

41 minutes ago, tas said:

I understand the community feeling slighted and disenfranchised, but I really do see it from the team's perspective as well. it was one of a very small number of remaining team forums; it really had become overwhelmingly negative; the terrible Vancouver "media" (as far as I'm concerned, imac is the only actual sports journalist in town. I won't read anybody else) literally take the forum threads and turn them into absurd "articles"; it's a liability on a number of fronts. 

turning the forum off is effectively a way to turn off some small amount of the negative noise surrounding the team. I wish it wasn't this way, it wasn't always this way, but online sports fandom and media has become a toxic nightmare and I don't blame them for wanting to mitigate as much of it as they have control over. 

personally, if I was them, I'd revoke any and all media credentials from the likes of drance and the canucks army cretins, credentials they never earned in the first place and only got because jason botchford campaigned for them. his poisonous legacy. 

I'm glad somebody else said it. You are 100% spot on accurate. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Actually, it's better.  Though because we're not directly affiliated with the team any longer, there are restrictions in other ways, such as the site probably won't be able to call itself "official" until it gets the team's blessing, and can't show any team logos or other trademarked graphics or designs.  You know, IP-rights and all.

We would be better off to call it 'Fans of Canucks Discussion Community" - FCDC  😉

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I voted to let it go.

I hope some similar level of moderation continues so this doesn't turn into lord of the flies - ATM I think it will be fine. At the same time there is all sorts of requests flying around for changes. I hope perhaps those stick to just bug fixes and minor changes and just keep things stable for starters. It's pretty good so far.

I don't think they were ever going to listen to the fans anyways, even if some here are super fans. We could submit goal song list, draft choices, top trade ideas and more till the cows come home, but they wouldn't read it. That's too bad, because some of the best of the best ideas would actually be good ones.

The sports media is the sports media, and in Vancouver we deserve a lot better. It would be nice if the stories were more positive instead of always digging up the dirt. I appreciate those kind, and we used to have some of those. I'm not even sure who to read anymore, if at all.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, HIWATT said:

"Should I continue to try and engage and involve my ex girlfriend in the future of my life, no matter what happens?"

Most guys would probably ask what she looks like first..... 😉

But, that's probably a superficial answer too.......

Edited by VegasCanuck