[GDT] Tues Mar 19 2024 - Vancouver Canucks vs Buffalo Sabres - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

28 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I'm honestly getting tired of these hand injuries from fighting. It's all because the players can't take their helmets off anymore. Tanner Pearson last year, now Dak. Soucy's hand injury was from a fight too I believe.

I know it's to protect the players when they fall on the ice. But hand injuries are so damn frequent nowadays in the NHL because of this rule.

If we see a ban on fighting in the NHL it will because the insurance companies won't want to cover the cost of players injured by fights anymore lol.

Honestly, i'd like to see an allowance for helmet removals if they keep fighting in the league. The way fights happen now, both refs are there to catch the players and protect them. Make it a rule you can't just start a fight until a ref is there to protect and watch the fight.

Anyways, rant over.

Go Canucks!

Just get rid of fighting if they can't remove helmets. One other option is to leave the gloves on like in Peewee/Bantam/Midget. Makes no sense to punch hard plastic. Fighting is a different sport and what we see on the ice is no longer that entertaining. I'd rather see big hits.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, spook007 said:

P

Love to listen to Tocchets pressers. He really goes deep into explaining everything both good and not so good. 
doesn't throw anyone under the bus, but lets everyone know there's a job to be done. Take ownership of everything and gives credit to everyone in the organisation. Refreshing to listen to him... and yes agree 100%. He is exactly, what the team is needing. 

And he's also making the press sound good.  By his detailed answers and expositions, they are encouraged to ask real questions, and even probe into strategy, instead of just the usual inane sound bite grabs that we have become used to in Green and Desjardins years

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Googlie said:

And he's also making the press sound good.  By his detailed answers and expositions, they are encouraged to ask real questions, and even probe into strategy, instead of just the usual inane sound bite grabs that we have become used to in Green and Desjardins years

green was very engaging until the vancouver media did what they do every time. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I'm honestly getting tired of these hand injuries from fighting. It's all because the players can't take their helmets off anymore. Tanner Pearson last year, now Dak. Soucy's hand injury was from a fight too I believe.

I know it's to protect the players when they fall on the ice. But hand injuries are so damn frequent nowadays in the NHL because of this rule.

If we see a ban on fighting in the NHL it will because the insurance companies won't want to cover the cost of players injured by fights anymore lol.

Honestly, i'd like to see an allowance for helmet removals if they keep fighting in the league. The way fights happen now, both refs are there to catch the players and protect them. Make it a rule you can't just start a fight until a ref is there to protect and watch the fight.

Anyways, rant over.

Go Canucks!

Back when fighting was a thing,  the team had several guys who could do it, and had been since they were teenagers, 15 or so. 

There are way more hand and wrist injuries from slashes.  These guys don't fight like they used too, lack of experience comes at a cost.    Like hitting, if you don't learn how to do it, once you're doing it at this level, some injuries could be avoidable.   These guys aren't taking boxing lessons growing up anymore.   

Fighting once a year or in a blue moon, to me anyways, has more to do with it then visors..  as for punching helmets, that's been going on since they became a thing.   A head is awfully hard too, why boxers wear gloves. 

As for the linesman, they come in and break things up as soon as another player connects with a punch or maybe two, with the exception of a few guys who still have a rep for doing this sort of thing, if two of those guys  are going, they might let it go on a little while,  as soon as one fighter has the upper hand, they get in there.   The Foligno's, Wilson, Marroon, Gadjovich, Deslauriers ... maybe a few others but that's about it.    The more experienced guys, going against lesser guys, also let up and call the refs in, that's not something we'd see in the 70's-2000's.    Believe it was one of the Foligno's who did that this year, connected with a few, then pinned him to the boards and called the refs in.    Classy.  

Like slashes and hits that create injuries, it's just part of the game.    For now anyways.    Fighting is so infrequent now, it's almost a rarity (at least that's how it seems).  How many fights, have the Canucks had all season? (12 just checked).    

Considering we used to have several guys who would drop them 12-30 times a year, and do so against some scary guys,  not sure why this should be considered an epidemic, not to even get into the guys who'd drop them 2-4 times, most guys would,  who weren't pure skill.   For the  0- 2 a year types, the best way the players can protect their hands, is to learn that part of the game if they intend to go there.   Take some lessons, and definitely work the heavy bag to avoid wrist injuries.   Not saying DJ is one of those guys.    

The game is policed by the refs now.   As soon as the code guys left the game, there was a rash of hand injuries from slashes ... it was ridiculous, used to be a huge code violation, that resulted in instant retaliation.    Crosby's arms and hands were literally black and blue from it, as were other star players...and even he got into it, nearly severing Methot's finger, only skin kept it dangling on his hand.    That was an epidemic, league had to crack down on slashing penalties, something i've never seen before or since. 

Just some perspective.    From the early 70's to the late 2000's,  fighting was a big part of the game.    A decade and a half later it's all but gone.    12 fighting majors, also happens to be the average.   Deslauriers is the big meany, with 10 on his own now.   

Used to be kids learned how to do this in juniors.   Same with hitting.   The latter is now being criticized because players are going to be coming in, and not knowing how to protect themselves from that.    

Banning fighting won't be necessary.    There has been a trade off going to pure skill over the hulking bruisers of past era's, as far a product goes.     Considering JT Miller is touted as a power forward,  and the guy who's coaching was what was considered one before,  Neely, Clarke, Shanny, Steven's, Corson, Robert's, Bridgeman, Kerr,  and a long list of guys who actually fought the top heavy's says a ton on how the games changed.    And Miller is invaluable, the same as those guys were.    

Sucks Joshua is out.   As for Pearson, he rarely fought.   Was it once or twice?  Can't remember (as a Canuck, didn't in LA either, not really, and back then there still were guys who did this).    Courtnall wasn't a fighter.   Wasn't considered one.   Today he'd be a scary power forward lol.   Don't think we need to worry about this.    

Hope DJ is back ASAP, as we need his grit.   And also hope, that it won't deter his willingness to fight either.   Our forward group needs his jam. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, CaribouCanuck said:

Kind of nice to see Garland on the top line, I think he has worked hard enough and played well enough to earn a chance along side Pettersson. 

Not that I disagree with the garland thoughts, but why is Petterssons like the "top line"?

Fighting is a hot topic these days in hockey. Regarding its role in the NHL; it's hit and miss. What I mean is:

Hit

- Depending on ones view, it's got entertainment value

- It holds accountable players who would otherwise abuse star players and therefore possibly lessen dirty hockey plays on the ice

- Anticipation of a possible fight because of said abuse or questionable conduct on a fellow team mate, star or otherwise, adds to the excitement of the game

Miss

- As mentioned above; man games lost to players who fight because of fight related injuries

- On going debate of the necessity of fighting with regards to the aspects of respect, retribution, sending messages, sticking up for team mate, changing momentum, etc

- Message that fighting brings to the general public at large in professional team sports in regards to what it means to young hockey player, boys and girls alike.

I mean, everyone likes to witness a brouhaha every now and then. It's human nature to be, if you will, intrigued with the dark side

You see a firetruck or ambulance wiz by you. You look even though wherever said emergency vehicles are heading; could be miles away, knowing there's something possibly horrid where they're going. You slow down; cuz' you're required to, at accident scenes just to gaze at a possible horrific sight only seen in the most disgusting slasher flic. But I digress. You get what I mean.

I'd love Daks back in the lineup. Not because he's our big bruiser dude, more so that we miss him and what he brings to our team. It's intriguing how the lines might look on his return. Pretty sure he'll be back with Garly as his partner with Blueger. How his return affects Petey and Lindholm will be interesting.

At the end of all this, I'm just happy to watch the boys play. Not used to this 2 days between games for this long a duration. Sure. It's a good thing and a deserved time at home for all. 

Honestly after the spring forward daylight savings time, I'm only now feeling back to normal. Hmmmm......Maybe the Canucks were affected too. Anywho...........

Let's go boys. Deflect those Sabres with your skate blades using your roundhouse/front kung fu kicks. (Well I guess that'd be more directed towards DeSmith, huh.)

Win one for...........uh.................Pat Quinn? Yea. Sure. Why not! The late Pat Quinn. Win one for him!

Beat those up and comer Sabres. Show 'em that we're the better 1970 expansion cousin!

Go Canucks Go!!!!!!!!! :towel:

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I put these together for the game thread, not all doom and gloom (not all serious)

Player 2023-24 Career highs
Boeser Career high in Goals - 36
Miller Career high in Goals - 33
Suter career high in +/-  + 17
Mikeyhev career high in assists -  17
Pettersson career high power play points - 28
lindholm career high in faceoff % - 60.9%
garland career high in lowest giveaways
blueger career high in assists 19 (tied)
joshua career high in goals (13) points (26)
hogs career high in goals (20), Points (31)
aman career high in blocked shots and hits per 60 mins
lafferty career high in goals (13), Points (21-tied)
pdg career highs in hits/60 (8.68),blocks/60 (2.37)
podz career high - nucks + baby nucks points (28 total)

hughes career high in goals (13), points (77)
hronek career high in assists (40), points (45)
cole team has made the playoffs in last 9 seasons
zad career high in style points
juulsen career high in points (7), hits (149)
myers career high in myers career high in short-handed goals (1-tied)
soucy career high in blocks per game (1.58)

demko career high in wins, shutouts, save %
desmith career high in assists (1-tied)

Love the Zads career high lol

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Back when fighting was a thing,  the team had several guys who could do it, and had been since they were teenagers, 15 or so. 

There are way more hand and wrist injuries from slashes.  These guys don't fight like they used too, lack of experience comes at a cost.    Like hitting, if you don't learn how to do it, once you're doing it at this level, some injuries could be avoidable.   These guys aren't taking boxing lessons growing up anymore.   

Fighting once a year or in a blue moon, to me anyways, has more to do with it then visors..  as for punching helmets, that's been going on since they became a thing.   A head is awfully hard too, why boxers wear gloves. 

As for the linesman, they come in and break things up as soon as another player connects with a punch or maybe two, with the exception of a few guys who still have a rep for doing this sort of thing, if two of those guys  are going, they might let it go on a little while,  as soon as one fighter has the upper hand, they get in there.   The Foligno's, Wilson, Marroon, Gadjovich, Deslauriers ... maybe a few others but that's about it.    The more experienced guys, going against lesser guys, also let up and call the refs in, that's not something we'd see in the 70's-2000's.    Believe it was one of the Foligno's who did that this year, connected with a few, then pinned him to the boards and called the refs in.    Classy.  

Like slashes and hits that create injuries, it's just part of the game.    For now anyways.    Fighting is so infrequent now, it's almost a rarity (at least that's how it seems).  How many fights, have the Canucks had all season? (12 just checked).    

Considering we used to have several guys who would drop them 12-30 times a year, and do so against some scary guys,  not sure why this should be considered an epidemic, not to even get into the guys who'd drop them 2-4 times, most guys would,  who weren't pure skill.   For the  0- 2 a year types, the best way the players can protect their hands, is to learn that part of the game if they intend to go there.   Take some lessons, and definitely work the heavy bag to avoid wrist injuries.   Not saying DJ is one of those guys.    

The game is policed by the refs now.   As soon as the code guys left the game, there was a rash of hand injuries from slashes ... it was ridiculous, used to be a huge code violation, that resulted in instant retaliation.    Crosby's arms and hands were literally black and blue from it, as were other star players...and even he got into it, nearly severing Methot's finger, only skin kept it dangling on his hand.    That was an epidemic, league had to crack down on slashing penalties, something i've never seen before or since. 

Just some perspective.    From the early 70's to the late 2000's,  fighting was a big part of the game.    A decade and a half later it's all but gone.    12 fighting majors, also happens to be the average.   Deslauriers is the big meany, with 10 on his own now.   

Used to be kids learned how to do this in juniors.   Same with hitting.   The latter is now being criticized because players are going to be coming in, and not knowing how to protect themselves from that.    

Banning fighting won't be necessary.    There has been a trade off going to pure skill over the hulking bruisers of past era's, as far a product goes.     Considering JT Miller is touted as a power forward,  and the guy who's coaching was what was considered one before,  Neely, Clarke, Shanny, Steven's, Corson, Robert's, Bridgeman, Kerr,  and a long list of guys who actually fought the top heavy's says a ton on how the games changed.    And Miller is invaluable, the same as those guys were.    

Sucks Joshua is out.   As for Pearson, he rarely fought.   Was it once or twice?  Can't remember (as a Canuck, didn't in LA either, not really, and back then there still were guys who did this).    Courtnall wasn't a fighter.   Wasn't considered one.   Today he'd be a scary power forward lol.   Don't think we need to worry about this.    

Hope DJ is back ASAP, as we need his grit.   And also hope, that it won't deter his willingness to fight either.   Our forward group needs his jam. 

Good post as per usual.

• Thanks 1

Despite an underwhelming history together, I have been wanting Garland on Pettersson's line for a while now. Between Garland and Hoglander, they should be able to create more possession in the O-zone at 5 on 5. Both those wingers are slippery fish that force teams to load up against them in board battles. If Petey can find those soft spots in front, he'll get his opportunities. 

When Joshua comes back, I think he and Garland would look great on Petey's wings too. 

I'm crossing all my crossable appendages that this shake up is the wake up we've been waiting for. 

The idea of the fries being so sad and expensive is that it pushes you to buy a burger because it’s “much better value” for your dollar. 

Edit: not saying I agree with that or want to spend $25 on a burger and fries, but it’s undeniable that it works. 

Edited by Honkin Hronek

13 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Strong old man essay game this morning! Give'er!

Just don't cheat leg days.   As for the Canucks, hope Miller smashes something.   EPs due for a big game.  

• Cheers 4

This certainly will not be an easy game or a lock.  The Sabres are surging right now and are super hot, having a late season run taking advantage of the Islanders and Red Wings struggles.  And after the 6-2 beat down they gave The Kraken Buffalo's confidence will be a through the roof.  Combine that with them playing desperation hockey to snap their 13 yr playoff drought and tonight's game can turn into a slugfest.

4 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Anyways, rant over.

Go Canucks!

they should have a special padded fighting area they can usher the players into off the ice like the ball room at ikea so if they fall their fall is cushioned

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Googlie said:

The more I see and hear of Tocchet,  the more I think he's the right coach in the right place at the right time.

Today ...

What's with focussing on that dude in the background at the 1:50 mark?  :hurhur:

Spoiler

image.png.56bc93ee3073a340071f472bad89fdc4.png

image.png.d45e15e99b6ae9ea738666d96bce23ee.png

• Haha 3