[GDT] Tues Mar 19 2024 - Vancouver Canucks vs Buffalo Sabres - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

3 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Sucks when you got to get up at 4:45am the following day like me, but I will always value watching Canuck games over sleep! 

At least Buffalo doesn't play a trap game, should be high scoring.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I think you need to explore other reasons why the team hasn’t been great since January.  Kuzmenko was doing nothing, and at bare minimum Lindholm has been playing solid defensively and winning faceoffs. 

I’m sure one day people will bring up the “Lindholm trade” as they try to get Allvin and Rutherford fired - but I don’t see the point of going on and on about it right now.  

Way more interesting to talk about how we can get out of this rut than re-hashing that move.

We also had a player that we were not only stuck with this year but next as well. A player who was constantly being scratched and benched. The entire NHL knew this. That put us in a bad position where we had to add to get him out. 

Also, that first is a very late pick. I would argue more like a second considering we have been hovering in the top 5 in the NHL for most of the season.

Edited by Grandmaster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I think you need to explore other reasons why the team hasn’t been great since January.  Kuzmenko was doing nothing, and at bare minimum Lindholm has been playing solid defensively and winning faceoffs. 

I’m sure one day people will bring up the “Lindholm trade” as they try to get Allvin and Rutherford fired - but I don’t see the point of going on and on about it right now.  

Way more interesting to talk about how we can get out of this rut than re-hashing that move.

Nice post! Bang on. There really isn't a point other than looking for the negative in a positive and a whipping boy in a successful season. No one will care if he finds chemistry between now and the end of the season, lights it up or effectively contributes in the playoffs. That's what we need from him.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Back when fighting was a thing,  the team had several guys who could do it, and had been since they were teenagers, 15 or so. 

There are way more hand and wrist injuries from slashes.  These guys don't fight like they used too, lack of experience comes at a cost.    Like hitting, if you don't learn how to do it, once you're doing it at this level, some injuries could be avoidable.   These guys aren't taking boxing lessons growing up anymore.   

Fighting once a year or in a blue moon, to me anyways, has more to do with it then visors..  as for punching helmets, that's been going on since they became a thing.   A head is awfully hard too, why boxers wear gloves. 

As for the linesman, they come in and break things up as soon as another player connects with a punch or maybe two, with the exception of a few guys who still have a rep for doing this sort of thing, if two of those guys  are going, they might let it go on a little while,  as soon as one fighter has the upper hand, they get in there.   The Foligno's, Wilson, Marroon, Gadjovich, Deslauriers ... maybe a few others but that's about it.    The more experienced guys, going against lesser guys, also let up and call the refs in, that's not something we'd see in the 70's-2000's.    Believe it was one of the Foligno's who did that this year, connected with a few, then pinned him to the boards and called the refs in.    Classy.  

Like slashes and hits that create injuries, it's just part of the game.    For now anyways.    Fighting is so infrequent now, it's almost a rarity (at least that's how it seems).  How many fights, have the Canucks had all season? (12 just checked).    

Considering we used to have several guys who would drop them 12-30 times a year, and do so against some scary guys,  not sure why this should be considered an epidemic, not to even get into the guys who'd drop them 2-4 times, most guys would,  who weren't pure skill.   For the  0- 2 a year types, the best way the players can protect their hands, is to learn that part of the game if they intend to go there.   Take some lessons, and definitely work the heavy bag to avoid wrist injuries.   Not saying DJ is one of those guys.    

The game is policed by the refs now.   As soon as the code guys left the game, there was a rash of hand injuries from slashes ... it was ridiculous, used to be a huge code violation, that resulted in instant retaliation.    Crosby's arms and hands were literally black and blue from it, as were other star players...and even he got into it, nearly severing Methot's finger, only skin kept it dangling on his hand.    That was an epidemic, league had to crack down on slashing penalties, something i've never seen before or since. 

Just some perspective.    From the early 70's to the late 2000's,  fighting was a big part of the game.    A decade and a half later it's all but gone.    12 fighting majors, also happens to be the average.   Deslauriers is the big meany, with 10 on his own now.   

Used to be kids learned how to do this in juniors.   Same with hitting.   The latter is now being criticized because players are going to be coming in, and not knowing how to protect themselves from that.    

Banning fighting won't be necessary.    There has been a trade off going to pure skill over the hulking bruisers of past era's, as far a product goes.     Considering JT Miller is touted as a power forward,  and the guy who's coaching was what was considered one before,  Neely, Clarke, Shanny, Steven's, Corson, Robert's, Bridgeman, Kerr,  and a long list of guys who actually fought the top heavy's says a ton on how the games changed.    And Miller is invaluable, the same as those guys were.    

Sucks Joshua is out.   As for Pearson, he rarely fought.   Was it once or twice?  Can't remember (as a Canuck, didn't in LA either, not really, and back then there still were guys who did this).    Courtnall wasn't a fighter.   Wasn't considered one.   Today he'd be a scary power forward lol.   Don't think we need to worry about this.    

Hope DJ is back ASAP, as we need his grit.   And also hope, that it won't deter his willingness to fight either.   Our forward group needs his jam. 

Thats a good point to bring up. A lot of guys that seem to break their hands aren’t regular fighters. 

But where do you go with it if your team has no real fighters like ours? Dak felt he had to respond to a dirty hit in Garland and Soucy had to defend himself on a clean hit he laid out on a guy.

Just wasteful to have 2 guys who have a big impact on our team go down with those injuries. 

I personally like fighting and think it has purpose. But I’ve hated for a while now where every good hit a player dishes out he’s gotta watch his back.

There really isn’t an answer to this so i’ll just hope next time one if our too end guys fight they just try to aim for the chin not the helmet lol

I watch all these fights and most guys just start flying their fists and start bashing the helmet. It’s just stupid to me. They aren’t even aiming or trying to pick their spots to land the punch.

Hell i’d rather see some body shots to the ribs and then get the guy to open up before you go for the face/head.

Alex Kannok Leipert on our farm club is a good fighter to watch. He doesn’t beat on turtle shells. He goes for the soft spots. Hasn’t broken his hand yet I believe.

43 minutes ago, testycal said:

they should have a special padded fighting area they can usher the players into off the ice like the ball room at ikea so if they fall their fall is cushioned

Like the bull pen in baseball 

I like it lol

18 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Too much passing around the perimeter and not enough shots on net and crashing and banging. Been the story for I don’t know how long. Time to park a big body in front of their net to clear some space and get clear shots on net.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Tooooooo loonnnnnnng between games.

Loving this weather though, makes it easier to go without hockey. Love the home stand. guys get to really figure stuff out together.

PG weather was a huge tease on the weekend. 20 and sunny and now highs of 2 or 3 rest of the week. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

It's Pettersson. Without his shot he severely handicaps the power play. 

I think these guys all shoot pretty well:

JT, BB, QH.

It's just not clicking.  One person isn't the cause.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

BIG test tonight. The Sabres are in playoff mode, and the Canucks seem to be coasting for whatever reason. Hopefully they ' meet pressure with pressure ' like Tocchet has stated many times. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

This should be Petey's coming out party.

I expect a higher scoring game; 5-4 Vancouver, Petey with 3 points and Lindholm with 2 goals.