[Speculation] Myers wants to extend with Nux

10 hours ago, flat land fish said:

As a veteran guy he may be inclined to reup at 3-3.5 to continue his career close to home.

Didn’t mean to quote u as well flat land.

12 hours ago, RWJC said:

West Notes: Myers, Lekkerimaki, Markstrom, Bjugstad

March 18th, 2024 at 7:28pm CST • By Brian La Rose

Defenseman Tyler Myers is one of several Canucks veterans that are set to hit the open market in July and the team won’t be able to afford to keep all of them.  CHEK’s Rick Dhaliwal reports that the veteran has told his agent that he’d like to remain with Vancouver. 

The 34-year-old is in his fifth season with the Canucks and while his $6MM price point is above market value, he’s still logging important minutes, especially on the penalty kill where he ranks second in shorthanded ATOI. 

While a $6MM contract isn’t likely coming his way this summer, Myers should still command interest from several teams on a multi-year deal which should help land him a contract somewhat close to that price tag.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/west-notes-myers-lekkerimaki-markstrom-bjugstad.html#ref=home

He’s 34 years old, how multi of a multi year deal is any team going to give him? I’m guessing 2 years max, which is rhe lowest qualifier for “multi”.

Edited by Captkirk888

It's so dissapointing to see how under appreciated Myers is by our fan base. 

Thankfully I don't get the sense that anyone in the room sees it that way. 

Myers is a beauty and key component of our team. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Didn’t mean to quote u as well flat land.

He’s 34 years old, how multi of a multi year deal is any team going to give him? I’m guessing 2 years max, which is rhe lowest qualifier for “multi”.

All depends on the competitive offers…? I’d imagine he’ll get a 3year offer from someone with intention to buy out the final year just to ensure they can get him under contract. 

• Cheers 1

I cut bait here and prioritize Zadorov.  We can’t bring them all back. 
He has been wildly inconsistent and the constant issue has been finding a partner to stabilize him. 
‘Tocch has simplified things for him and we have had a lot better options to play with him this year so he has looked better but that is a lot of caveats for a guy who is supposed to be a veteran prescence. 
Juulsen has more than earned that 3rd right D spot, time to reward him for the progress he has made.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Miss Korea said:

I really don't think he has any actual ties to Texas anymore.  He's a Canadian through and through.

OK? but he's a dual citizen, with strong ties to the US. Maybe he's happy to finish up his career in Dallas. We don't know.

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

OK? but he's a dual citizen, with strong ties to the US. Maybe he's happy to finish up his career in Dallas. We don't know.

He could play in New York.  His brother plays for the Knicks.  But his family is tied down here and I'm almost certain that his wife is from (roughly around) here.

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

He could play in New York.  His brother plays for the Knicks.  But his family is tied down here and I'm almost certain that his wife is from (roughly around) here.

all true. Hey if all that encourages him to take less than 2 mil per I'm all for it for a year or two. But if Dallas e.g., comes along with 3.5-4 I don't want us anywhere near that aav. 

11 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Myers as a bottom pairing dman is more than fine. He won't be making his current 6M but he is still serviceable in that role and by all accounts a great teammate. The price and term have to be right, of course. All that being said, both Hronek and Zadorov are of much higher priority.

myers is hands down better than zadorov.

like its not even close

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

2.5,2.0, 3.0.. no way we get Myers for that...keep dreaming.

myers is worth 4.5 million... he is a bottom 4 tweener... i dont know why this board thinks otherwise. I mean all our coaches in the past 6 years saw it that way too...

he not very good against elite talent, he gets outplayed and out smarted... but when with cole/soucy he's been looking really solid. he's lacking defensive awareness but can PP2

but if we paying myers 4.5 we might as well pay Pesce 5.5. dude is awesome

28 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

He lives in Kelowna in the offseason.

7 minutes ago, PeteyBOI said:

2.5,2.0, 3.0.. no way we get Myers for that...keep dreaming.

myers is worth 4.5 million... he is a bottom 4 tweener... i dont know why this board thinks otherwise. I mean all our coaches in the past 6 years saw it that way too...

he not very good against elite talent, he gets outplayed and out smarted... but when with cole/soucy he's been looking really solid. he's lacking defensive awareness but can PP2

but if we paying myers 4.5 we might as well pay Pesce 5.5. dude is awesome

In what world does a 34 year old tweener get 4.5, Soucy got 3.25 and he's 29. Would be more similar to the Ian Cole deal 1 x 3 or 2 x 2.5 probably. 

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

If Kelowna is his summer home, then that is indeed his home.  I believe he grew up in Calgary but Kelowna being his true home is... a good thing for us.

Indeed. I met him a few summers ago shopping at the Save-on in Glenmore (Kelowna). Nice person, He has a home at McKinley Landing, a lakeshore community about 10 mins north of Glenmore.

12 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

In what world does a 34 year old tweener get 4.5, Soucy got 3.25 and he's 29. Would be more similar to the Ian Cole deal 1 x 3 or 2 x 2.5 probably. 

It's a weird world, but Tyler Myers is having a very solid year. 

In terms of production, he has 23 points in 63 games.  That puts him in the same ballpark of production as guys like Parayko, Lindell, Demelo, Marino, Orlov, and others.

In terms of minutes, he's around 19min ATOI, but that's a lot more to do with Tocchet's deployment of his 2nd and 3rd pair which is more like two 2nd pairs that split the time evenly.  I think he'd generally be at 20min+ given the season he is having.

He carries a 2:10 ATOI shorthanded, so he PKs quite a bit.

He's also a RHD which we all know carries a premium.

He's also 6'8" 230lbs which we also know carries a premium.

All of the above puts him in that $4M+ range IMO.  You won't find a defenceman with the stats and attributes above for pennies on the dollar.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, flat land fish said:

As a veteran guy he may be inclined to reup at 3-3.5 to continue his career close to home.

His representation will be fielding interest from around the league at $ 4m+ per. If he wants to remain in Vancouver I could see them going as high as the $ 4m range. Either way it will take that range to bring he or Zadorov back.

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's a weird world, but Tyler Myers is having a very solid year. 

In terms of production, he has 23 points in 63 games.  That puts him in the same ballpark of production as guys like Parayko, Lindell, Demelo, Marino, Orlov, and others.

In terms of minutes, he's around 19min ATOI, but that's a lot more to do with Tocchet's deployment of his 2nd and 3rd pair which is more like two 2nd pairs that split the time evenly.  I think he'd generally be at 20min+ given the season he is having.

He carries a 2:10 ATOI shorthanded, so he PKs quite a bit.

He's also a RHD which we all know carries a premium.

He's also 6'8" 230lbs which we also know carries a premium.

All of the above puts him in that $4M+ range IMO.  You won't find a defenceman with the stats and attributes above for pennies on the dollar.

Maybe if he test free agency he can get that with a basement dweller. If he want to stay with the Canucks or a contender they aren't spending more than 3.5 on a bottom pairing Dman. 

10 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I don't think he is from Calgary. He played junior in Kelowna from 2005 and spends the off-season there every year. I think it's safe to say his permanent home is in Kelowna. Now he may end up in Calgary, and if GM Conroy offers him 3x3M, I'm sure he'd listen, but there may be other options if he makes it to July 1st.

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

If Kelowna is his summer home, then that is indeed his home.  I believe he grew up in Calgary but Kelowna being his true home is... a good thing for us.

He's not from Calgary, but he did spend some time there.

From his Wiki entry:

Personal life[edit]

Myers was born on February 1, 1990, to parents Tonja Stelly and Paul Myers III. When Myers was 6-years-old his father took him to his first hockey game, watching the Houston Aeros of the International Hockey League. Myers quickly became interested in the game after watching it, and started to play soon after. In 2000 Paul moved to Calgary, with Tyler joining him; Tyler would later acquire Canadian citizenship.[19]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Myers

15 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Maybe if he test free agency he can get that with a basement dweller. If he want to stay with the Canucks or a contender they aren't spending more than 3.5 on a bottom pairing Dman. 

I don't think it'd necessarily have to be a bottom dweller.  Based on THIS season anyway, Myers looks to be a capable top 4 RHD.  Top 4 RHD get paid.  Especially ones with size.  I could see teams like Buffalo, Calgary, Nashville, LA as some of the better teams that could be interested in Myers.  Then of course lots of the bottom feeders would be as well.  There's enough interest there that the demand will be there to drive up his price.

Edited by HKSR
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

He and his family live year round in Kelowna. 

• Thanks 1