[Speculation] Myers wants to extend with Nux

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

It is and he might, but if Van is close to a decent number, I think he'll stay put

I think it will be the difference between the cost of disrupting his family for 2-3 years, vs whatever the max offered is. So maybe over a 3 year term he takes 1 mil less? But if some team comes along and offers him say 4 mil x 3 years, he'll do that for sure. 

And he should go for whatever is best for his family, I think most parents would. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think it will be the difference between the cost of disrupting his family for 2-3 years, vs whatever the max offered is. So maybe over a 3 year term he takes 1 mil less? But if some team comes along and offers him say 4 mil x 3 years, he'll do that for sure. 

And he should go for whatever is best for his family, I think most parents would. 

Absolutely, but I expect van to come in with a competitive offer, they obviously like him

On 3/21/2024 at 6:31 AM, Alflives said:

Yup. Or management finds a 2RD in free agency? Sign another guy like Cole. Soucy plays right side too. Plus, Big Z can play right side. Multiple options to play 2RD. The Empties trust this management group to make a good choice. Unlike the previous GM; the moran. 

Hopefully the answer is someone like Tanev at $3.5-$4m x 2-3 years while we develop Willander. Pesce would be an even better player, but probably cost closer to $5-$5.5x6.

Maybe bring Cole back at closer to $1.5-$2m to play 3rd pair as well.

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, Tanev

Soucy, Cole 

Juulsen 

Just now, stawns said:

Absolutely, but I expect van to come in with a competitive offer, they obviously like him

In no way should we be paying Myers more than ~$2m x 2. We need cap for a top 4 guy that fits our roster needs. A "competitive offer" would likely need to be ~$3.8x3, with trade clauses and bonus structure that makes it buyout proof.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

In no way should we be paying Myers more than ~$2m x 2. We need cap for a top 4 guy that fits our roster needs. A "competitive offer" would likely need to be ~$3.8x3, with trade clauses and bonus structure that makes it buyout proof.

Why not?  Hrs been great all year and they'll have to pay more than they be paying Myers to fill that spot.  He's probably their best, cheapest option at 2rhd

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why not?  Hrs been great all year and they'll have to pay more than they be paying Myers to fill that spot.  He's probably their best, cheapest option at 2rhd

he's 34 and its a contract year. This year could very easily be peak Myers. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

he's 34 and its a contract year. This year could very easily be peak Myers. 

He's a fantastic skater, he'll be good for a few more years, imo and he doesn't get hurt very often.

• Vintage 3

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Far, FAR prefer Tanev at ~ those dollars.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Hurt, waaaaaasy too much.  Myers is a workhorse

Tanev has played 2 whole less games then Myers this year. And Tanev was traded to DAL and may have missed a game there, dunno. Try again.

Tanev is a WAAAAAY better defenseman

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Tanev has played 2 whole less games then Myers this year. And Tanev was traded to DAL and may have missed a game there, dunno. Try again.

What do you think Tanev’s next contract looks like?

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

What do you think Tanev’s next contract looks like?

$3.75-4.25 X 2-3 probably. And by all accounts it sounds like he'd love to come back "home". Might be able to get him on the low side of that, maybe even closer to $3.5 especially with player friendly trade clauses, bonus structure etc. He'd be a hell of a stop gap until Willander's ready AND gives us an option to play with Hughes and maybe have Hronek drive a better, 2nd pairing.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

$3.75-4.25 X 2-3 probably. And by all accounts it sounds like he'd love to come back "home". Might be able to get him on the low side of that, maybe even closer to $3.5 especially with player friendly trade clauses, bonus structure etc. He'd be a hell of a stop gap until Willander's ready AND gives us an option to play with Hughes and maybe have Hronek drive a better, 2nd pairing.

You think that cheap? 
I think he’s going to approach 5mill if not hit it.

I like him and agree but not sure I like him over 5 though. 

There’s going to be a few teams making changes this offseason, and NYI might have a D corps shift as part. 

If Tanev is going to cost above what you reckon, I’d be hopeful that mgmt scours the trade market early into the offseason and perhaps snags a better option at that price point. 
might be some nice pieces come available post cup.

Edited by RWJC

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

The stats between Myers and Tanev are nearly the same. Myers has been defensively sound with very few goals against at 5v5. 

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

You think that cheap? 
I think he’s going to approach 5mill if not hit it.

I like him and agree but not sure I like him over 5 though. 

There’s going to be a few teams making changes this offseason, and NYI might have a D corps shift as part. 

If Tanev is going to cost above what you reckon, I’d be hopeful that mgmt scours the trade market early into the offseason and perhaps snags a better option at that price point. 
might be some nice pieces come available post cup.

I'd certainly entertain a trade for Zub or similar as an option. Defensive D simply don't get paid that much. That plus his age (and yes his injury history) should keep his price down IMO.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

The stats between Myers and Tanev are nearly the same. Myers has been defensively sound with very few goals against at 5v5. 

spock-fascinating.gif

Still FAR prefer Tanev

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

spock-fascinating.gif

Still FAR prefer Tanev

Now, is Tanev coming in as first or second RHD? Do you trade Hronek or give into his demand for $8M+ AAV? 

Frankly, I'd be ecstatic with the following defense, if Hronek is traded

Hughes (7.8M) - Pesce (6.5M)

Zadorov (4.8M) - Tanev (4.5M)

Soucy (3.75M) - Juulsen (.775M)

Friedman

• Vintage 1

I'd love him at $3M for 2 years, but I'm not sure he signs that cheap.

He's got some stability now defensively, but is still prone to the occasional big brain fart. His offense also isn't really giving much, at about 25 points per season at most. I think he could get $4M+ on the open market, so he'd have to take a steep discount to stay.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

pass on tanev.. canucks have a history of signing players with injury history that was healthy prior to vancouver and the moment they are here they are injury prone again.. we already have a long list of injury prone player/ltir retired player on the canucks.. we had ferland poolman mikheyev and so far soucy.. can't afford 2 injury prone defenceman 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

pass on tanev.. canucks have a history of signing players with injury history that was healthy prior to vancouver and the moment they are here they are injury prone again.. we already have a long list of injury prone player/ltir retired player on the canucks.. we had ferland poolman mikheyev and so far soucy.. can't afford 2 injury prone defenceman 

He's played basically the same amount of games as Myers this season. In a thread talking about extending Myers, I think he's a FAR better option personally. Particularly given this roster's needs.

Now if we're talking trade for Zub or sign Pesce as alternatives, I've got all sorts of time for that discussion. But if the discussion is spending +/- $4m on Myers or Tanev...that's easy IMO.

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's played basically the same amount of games as Myers this season. In a thread talking about extending Myers, I think he's a FAR better option personally. Particularly given this roster's needs.

Now if we're talking trade for Zub or sign Pesce as alternatives, I've got all sorts of time for that discussion. But if the discussion is spending +/- $4m on Myers or Tanev...that's easy IMO.

sure but he does have injury history he's only getting older he plays a style that invites injury

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't want either for ~$4M. They're both getting quite old now at 34 not to mention the prior injury history. Since they both apparently love the Canucks they should both be willing to sign discounts. I'll take back Myers next year at ~$2M to be a very solid 3rd pair option but otherwise don't want him and Tanev I'd be willing to do $3M. It would be fun to have Myers hit 1000 games played in a Canucks sweater next year but I certainly don't want to pay a bonus for that.