[Speculation] Myers wants to extend with Nux

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Now, is Tanev coming in as first or second RHD? Do you trade Hronek or give into his demand for $8M+ AAV? 

Frankly, I'd be ecstatic with the following defense, if Hronek is traded

Hughes (7.8M) - Pesce (6.5M)

Zadorov (4.8M) - Tanev (4.5M)

Soucy (3.75M) - Juulsen (.775M)

Friedman

Ideally, at his age, 2nd pair but at least he'd be an option to play with Hughes if we want to split Hughes/Hronek situationally.

I don't think Hronek should cost $8m personally. I also don't see Pesce at $6.5 but I'd certainly entertain him at +/- $5.5. Guessing he stays in the East though (and probably CAR).

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Ideally, at his age, 2nd pair but at least he'd be an option to play with Hughes if we want to split Hughes/Hronek situationally.

If Hronek is here in a year. Tanev is a technician that the team could use. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't think Hronek should cost $8m personally.

Same. He’s not worth it, regardless of what Seravelli says about what the “market can bear”. He’s not very good in his own end. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I also don't see Pesce at $6.5 but I'd certainly entertain him at +/- $5.5. Guessing he stays in the East though (and probably CAR).

Yeah, Brett mentioned that he loves the area. Raleigh is beautiful, but Vancouver is a better team. Wake up, Pesce.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Hronek is here in a year. Tanev is a technician that the team could use. 

Same. He’s not worth it, regardless of what Seravelli says about what the “market can bear”. He’s not very good in his own end. 

Yeah, Brett mentioned that he loves the area. Raleigh is beautiful, but Vancouver is a better team. Wake up, Pesce.  

you’d have to think too that getting a chance to play out a good chunk of the remainder of your career alongside a Norris trophy candidate like QH would be pretty enticing as well. Talk about cushy jobs, jk

• Vintage 1

Just now, RWJC said:

you’d have to think too that getting a chance to play out a good chunk of the remainder of your career alongside a Norris trophy candidate like QH would be pretty enticing as well. Talk about cushy jobs, jk

The Canucks are an attractive option for most any player in the league these days. 

Hughes is a force. Hronek is one of many  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

20 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Now, is Tanev coming in as first or second RHD? Do you trade Hronek or give into his demand for $8M+ AAV? 

Frankly, I'd be ecstatic with the following defense, if Hronek is traded

Hughes (7.8M) - Pesce (6.5M)

Zadorov (4.8M) - Tanev (4.5M)

Soucy (3.75M) - Juulsen (.775M)

Friedman

I mean that is probably the top d corps in the NHL, I would be over the moon with that, the cap hits for ads and Tanev are reasonable, could even go 4 mill on Tanev 7 on pesce

• Vintage 1

I definitely think that if the number for an extension would really be starting with an 8, we have to consider trading Hronek.

If he doesn’t put pen to paper before the draft you definitely have to trade him.  Just like Petterson, having a looming arb award in the summer paralyzes the team and their ability to make moves and other signings.  They have to leave room for the worst case Award and that likely means they can’t sign the complementary guys like Joshua and De Smith.

You can also consider that the prospect of playing beside Norris winning Quinn Hughes on a team that finishes right at the top of the league would be compelling for free agents.  There are a lot of veteran UFA guys this summer where a chance to win would be high on their priorities rather than just the most money or term.

If you can get at least a mid round or better 1st round pick plus a blue chip prospect for Hronek, and replace him with a couple of top 4 veterans for the same total cap hit… you could end up ahead of the game.

It is nice to have the options and gives much more leverage in negotiations. “Here is a very fair $7.5x8 year offer to play on one of the best teams in the league paired with one of the best players in the game.  Sign or we have to move you.”

If he doesn’t, some team like Ottawa, Columbus, Seattle, or Buffalo that wants to kickstart winning rather than accruing more picks would likely take a gamble for one year and hope to re-sign him.  Once the lottery happens and they haven’t moved up to the top three.. their picks could well be in play.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

One of the biggest differences in this years Canucks over other years is the defence. Crazy how things are different when you have capable defence men instead of AHL guys. The additions of Cole, Soucy, Zadorav and Hronek completely reshaped our d-core in a matter of a year.

This summer will have lots of hard decisions. I know we will lose a couple roster players because of cap issues. We will retain some. I’m hoping for Myers bottom pair dman money at no more than $3 million. That’s what Cole is getting this year. 
Cole most likely won’t be resigned and his money goes to Myers with Myers 6M cap hit being used elsewhere.

Hronek/Zadorav in my opinion are must signs if we want this thing we got to keep going. Zadorav at 4.5 and Hronek at 7 would be awesome if they could make it happen. Zadorav will be highly sought after simply for his size/physical play. He’s not a bad defender and that makes him  player other teams will try to outbid for. I’m hoping they both like what Vancouver is doing and leave some money on the table for long term deals. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Hronek/Zadorav in my opinion are must signs if we want this thing we got to keep going.

Very smart take. Especially Hronek. Hughes/Hronek are one of the best in the league and it's only their first season together. You don't mess with that. That's your top D to build on. There is a way to make Zad work. Would be great if they're more on the team friendly side like Petey was in the end. 

On 3/22/2024 at 11:44 AM, aGENT said:

Tanev has played 2 whole less games then Myers this year. And Tanev was traded to DAL and may have missed a game there, dunno. Try again.

Tanev is a WAAAAAY better defenseman

That's tanev in Calgary, not tanev in Van.  Not a risk worth taking imo 

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

One of the biggest differences in this years Canucks over other years is the defence. Crazy how things are different when you have capable defence men instead of AHL guys. The additions of Cole, Soucy, Zadorav and Hronek completely reshaped our d-core in a matter of a year.

This summer will have lots of hard decisions. I know we will lose a couple roster players because of cap issues. We will retain some. I’m hoping for Myers bottom pair dman money at no more than $3 million. That’s what Cole is getting this year. 
Cole most likely won’t be resigned and his money goes to Myers with Myers 6M cap hit being used elsewhere.

Hronek/Zadorav in my opinion are must signs if we want this thing we got to keep going. Zadorav at 4.5 and Hronek at 7 would be awesome if they could make it happen. Zadorav will be highly sought after simply for his size/physical play. He’s not a bad defender and that makes him  player other teams will try to outbid for. I’m hoping they both like what Vancouver is doing and leave some money on the table for long term deals. 

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Zadorov - Juulsen

Hirose - Woo

This is what I'm expecting next season. 

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

rolling-eyes.gif

How did tanevs health go in van?  Id way rather have Myers on the ice thsn tsnev watching from the pressbox.......they've already got soucy for that.  You want two regular dmen like that?  No thanks

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

How did tanevs health go in van?  Id way rather have Myers on the ice thsn tsnev watching from the pressbox.......they've already got soucy for that.  You want two regular dmen like that?  No thanks

Calgary has magic elixir in their tap water that keeps Tanev healthy you say?! 😱

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2024 at 6:21 PM, stawns said:

That's tanev in Calgary, not tanev in Van.  Not a risk worth taking imo 

Not even tanev in Calgary, just tanev this year. Look at his game totals since he went to Calgary, he's missed a lot of time there too...

Like you said I'd rather have Myers on the ice than an always injured Tanev who's now in his mid 30s.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I'm not the biggest Myers fan. We are going to have to make a few hard choices going forward, when it comes to the cap. For me on defense, the first priority is Zadorov, then Hronek, but only if the price is right, doubt Cole will be back as he's making too many big mistakes. As long as they re-sign Z I'll likely be OK with whatever else they decide.

This discussion is about re-signing Myers.

Edited by AlexanderM

39 minutes ago, AlexanderM said:

I'm not the biggest Myers fan. We are going to have to make a few hard choices going forward, when it comes to the cap. For me on defense, the first priority is Zadorov, then Hronek, but only if the price is right, doubt Cole will be back as he's making too many big mistakes. As long as they re-sign Z I'll likely be OK with whatever else they decide.

This discussion is about re-signing Myers.

Myers is far from perfect, but the question is can we get a better defenseman for less than it would cost to re-sign him? My guess is no. He's keenly aware he didn't live up to his last contract and also wants to stay in Vancouver. As such, he's likely to take a discount and I wouldn't be surprised if he's willing to re-sign for close to $2M. For that price I definitely think he's worth bringing back.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Myers is far from perfect, but the question is can we get a better defenseman for less than it would cost to re-sign him? My guess is no. He's keenly aware he didn't live up to his last contract and also wants to stay in Vancouver. As such, he's likely to take a discount and I wouldn't be surprised if he's willing to re-sign for close to $2M. For that price I definitely think he's worth bringing back.

That would be an ideal situation.  It really depends on him though.  You can be certain that some team will offer a 4x4, but does he want to stay in Van and give up that 4 million dollar difference.  My guess is yes,  but time will tell…

We can't be giving term to Myers.  He's 34yo already.  A 3 or 4 year term has him at 37 or 38yo in his final year.  It will be brutal value by then.

If we bring Myers back, it will be a 1 year deal.  MAYBE 2 years, but then the AAV better be really low.

On 5/11/2024 at 1:13 PM, HKSR said:

We can't be giving term to Myers.  He's 34yo already.  A 3 or 4 year term has him at 37 or 38yo in his final year.  It will be brutal value by then.

If we bring Myers back, it will be a 1 year deal.  MAYBE 2 years, but then the AAV better be really low.

The way he's playing with this system, these coaches and with these teammates......I wouldn't have a problem with a 3 year deal.  I do feel differently about a guy his size who still pushes guys around like rag dolls than I do about Tanev who's been excellent but has been bounced off every possible stanchion in the league.

On 5/11/2024 at 12:28 PM, Diamonds said:

I think he'll get more than $2M/yr still.  I also think he'll take a discount to stay at home.  I feel like he's been paid up front already but thrilled that he's now playing the way he is.  $3M/yr x 3 would be about right in my mind.  Personally, I'm happy to have a guy like him on the team that wants to be here.  I can cheer for guys that like Vancouver and play hard even if they don't come out on top as much as we want.  

2 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

The way he's playing with this system, these coaches and with these teammates......I wouldn't have a problem with a 3 year deal.  I do feel differently about a guy his size who still pushes guys around like rag dolls than I do about Tanev who's been excellent but has been bounced off every possible stanchion in the league.

Agreed. Playoff Tanev is such a beast though. Man I wish he’d want to take a discount to come back but highly unlikely Dallas lets him go

• Cheers 1