[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I think he could be a cap casualty, and I'm fine with that tbh. I like what Zadorov but I'm not interested in giving him 4.5M+ for 5+ years, I'd offer him a 4 year deal max. 

Soucy and Hughes are back as LD next next season and Soucy costs less. Canucks already need more punch in their top six and will be looking to probably keep Joshua. I'm not sure there's enough cap to keep everyone, even with Myers and Cole maybe not coming back. 

Pettersson's deal is kicking in, keep Joshua would necessitate a pretty solid raise. We probably need at least another top six player to with Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, and Hoglander. Suter shouldn't in the top six, Mikheyev's a middle six tweener at best. We probably don't keep Lindholm, I'd throw his money into the top six. Bluegar may be gone too, he'll need to be replaced with an NHL level body at least, I'd assume Suter slots into his spot if he walks. 

Myers is fine as an RD stopgap, one could probably have him on a 1-2 year deal to bridge between now and Willander stepping in. A short-term RD is what the Canucks should be looking for imo, whether that's Myers or someone else. 

If he's willing to take 4 years or less I'd be open to allocating some of the money to him, but Hronek's raise is also going to eat into what we actually have to give and he's likely a bigger priority for management than Zadorov. 

The team doesn't sound like it's going to be as good next season. 

A lot of key losses coming our way. 

• Cheers 1

I think Zadorov for 4.5mil, Myers for 4mil would be good. Not sure why Zadorov thinks he should make a lot more than Soucy. I don't think Zadorov can get a 5mil AAV contract in the UFA market lol. And then we can have 3 mil to find a Cole replacement. Hopefully Hronek resigns at 7mil.  

Edited by Drakrami
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

The team doesn't sound like it's going to be as good next season. 

A lot of key losses coming our way. 

That's fine tbh, folks will have to get used to that going forward if the Canucks do remain a playoff team going forward 

The cost of individual and team success is players getting paid, nobody can keep everyone 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

I think Zadorov for 4.5mil, Myers for 4mil would be good. Not sure why Zadorov thinks he should make a lot more than Soucy. I don't think Zadorov can get a 5mil AAV contract in the UFA market lol. And then we can have 3 mil to find a Cole replacement. Hopefully Hronek resigns at 7mil.  

That’s about what I’m hoping, too.  Bringing back a very similar group (minus Cole but using Juulsen as 6D) would be a pretty big win IMO.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, The Duke said:

That’s about what I’m hoping, too.  Bringing back a very similar group (minus Cole but using Juulsen as 6D) would be a pretty big win IMO.

Let Myers go, keep cole, keep Zads, trade Hronek

To DAL

Hronek

Aman

To VAN

Logan Stankoven

rights to Tanev

To OTT
Hronek 

Aman

Karlasson

To VAN

Pinto

Zub 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That's fine tbh, folks will have to get used to that going forward if the Canucks do remain a playoff team going forward 

The cost of individual and team success is players getting paid, nobody can keep everyone 

Hmmm, it almost sounds like having good young players in the system ight be helpful along the way.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hmmm, it almost sounds like having good young players in the system ight be helpful along the way.

Definitely, stocking the cupboard and developing talent is very important 

All top teams lose talent, guys wanna get paid and there's only so much cap space to go around, cost effective talent is very important 

This playoffs is giving him more bargaining power.

We will be lucky to have a team as good as this next season.

Zadorov, Cole, Joshua, Lindholm, Blueger.  They all won’t be back and they will be hard to replace, especially when so many extra cap dollars have been used for Petterson and (Presumably Hronek’a extensions.

EDIT:  I meant they won’t all be back… not none of them will be back.

We might keep a couple of them.  It is pretty clear to me that the improved D was the source of our success.  They made all the forwards better.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, Provost said:

Zadorov, Cole, Joshua, Lindholm, Blueger.  They all won’t be back and they will be hard to replace, especially when so many extra cap dollars have been used for Petterson and (Presumably Hronek’a extensions.

I could see a hronek trade 

he is not giving us 7+ mill worth right now/this year, maybe 6 mill but he wants 8

To DAL

Hronek (8) RFA

Aman

To VAN

Tanev Rights 4.25

Stankoven 814K

To CHI

Milkeyev 4.75

Karlason

Woo

To VAN

3rd

Milky out = 23.77 +4.75 = 28.5

Hogz Petey Guentzel (7.75)

Joshu Miller Brock

Podz Stankoven Garland

PDG Blugger Suter 

Hughes Tanev (4.25 x3)

Zadorov (5x5) Myers (3 x 3)

Soucy  Cole (2.5x3)

Juulsen 

Demko

Siloves 1 mill

cap = 28.5 -27.25

= 1.25

That is a pretty epic looking team with everyone paid good money and room to spare with a mix of vets and youth 

if any more cap - I like Stefan noesen as a UFA

Edited by canucks curse

30 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I could see a hronek trade 

he is not giving us 7+ mill worth right now/this year, maybe 6 mill but he wants 8

To DAL

Hronek (8) RFA

Aman

To VAN

Tanev Rights 4.25

Stankoven 814K

To CHI

Milkeyev 4.75

Karlason

Woo

To VAN

3rd

Milky out = 23.77 +4.75 = 28.5

Hogz Petey Guentzel (7.75)

Joshu Miller Brock

Podz Stankoven Garland

PDG Blugger Suter 

Hughes Tanev (4.25 x3)

Zadorov (5x5) Myers (3 x 3)

Soucy  Cole (2.5x3)

Juulsen 

Demko

Siloves 1 mill

cap = 28.5 -27.25

= 1.25

That is a pretty epic looking team with everyone paid good money and room to spare with a mix of vets and youth 

if any more cap - I like Stefan noesen as a UFA

Probably doesn't work, even if Dallas wanted Hronek they don't have the cap space to add him at 7-8M. 

Pavelski and Duchene are pending UFA's and they'll need to be replaced if they aren't retained, doesn't free up a whole lot of cap, if anything Dallas may look at Stankoven to fill one of those slots. Tanev was a retained salary deal so the cap he frees up is minimal, Hanakpa is also due for a raise as a pending UFA. Harley will be due for a sizeable raise. 

Between Heiskanen and Harley they don't necessarily need Hronek either, they'll probably try and retain Tanev.

As for Guentzel, Carolina's not a team that typically pays up big at the deadline and they're not really a team that rents players either, they'll almost certainly try to keep him. He's taken their offense to another level. They'll at least try, was always the plan. If he does hit UFA he'll likely be the most coveted forward on the market though, I don't imagine he'll come in at less than 8M long-term via the open market. 

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Let lafferty cole possibly blueger all walk raty podkolzin and baines all kicking the door down with lek following and on the back end find a cheap vet presence to share time with juulsen on the bottom pair money would work! 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Probably doesn't work, even if Dallas wanted Hronek they don't have the cap space to add him at 7-8M. 

Pavelski and Duchene are pending UFA's and they'll need to be replaced if they aren't retained, doesn't free up a whole lot of cap, if anything Dallas may look at Stankoven to fill one of those slots. Tanev was a retained salary deal so the cap he frees up is minimal, Hanakpa is also due for a raise as a pending UFA. Harley will be due for a sizeable raise. 

Between Heiskanen and Harley they don't necessarily need Hronek either, they'll probably try and retain Tanev.

As for Guentzel, Carolina's not a team that typically pays up big at the deadline and they're not really a team that rents players either, they'll almost certainly try to keep him. He's taken their offense to another level. They'll at least try, was always the plan. If he does hit UFA he'll likely be the most coveted forward on the market though, I don't imagine he'll come in at less than 8M long-term via the open market. 

Too many variables to even ponder what moves could be made yet.

To me it is clear that the recipe for our success was really the improvements to the D and that they stabilized everything.  They were much better getting pucks to forwards and that also improved the offence.

If we could keep that D intact, or maybe sub out Myers for Tanev we still have three solid pairs.  If Hronek wants too much, move him and use the money on a replacement.  Even a player like Chyrchrun who is reputed to be abailable could be worked on in a trade.  Whatever moves that need to get made to have 5 legit top four D and then build out from there

Hughes-Tanev

Chychrun-Soucy

Zadorov-Cole

Juulsen

I still think Mikheyev has a solid chance to rebound with a full offseason, but he probably still doesn’t bring what we need in the playoffs.  We would certainly be selling low… but we could keep him for the start of next season and make an in season move when another team is looking to beef up their offence.  

It is clear that we need to surround Petterson, Hughes, and Hoglander with some size and toughness to succeed in the playoffs.  Blueger/Mikheyev/Lindholm/Lafferty can be subbed out for harder nosed players.l that open up space for the skill guys.

Edited by Provost

On 4/28/2024 at 12:48 AM, Drakrami said:

With his playoff performance and last 1/2 season I don’t see anyone giving Hronny 8 mill 

39 minutes ago, Provost said:

Too many variables to even ponder what moves could be made yet.

To me it is clear that the recipe for our success was really the improvements to the D and that they stabilized everything.  They were much better getting pucks to forwards and that also improved the offence.

If we could keep that D intact, or maybe sub out Myers for Tanev we still have three solid pairs.  If Hronek wants too much, move him and use the money on a replacement.  Even a player like Chyrchrun who is reputed to be abailable could be worked on in a trade.  Whatever moves that need to get made to have 5 legit top four D and then build out from there

Hughes-Tanev

Chychrun-Soucy

Zadorov-Cole

Juulsen

I still think Mikheyev has a solid chance to rebound with a full offseason, but he probably still doesn’t bring what we need in the playoffs.  We would certainly be selling low… but we could keep him for the start of next season and make an in season move when another team is looking to beef up their offence.  

It is clear that we need to surround Petterson, Hughes, and Hoglander with some size and toughness to succeed in the playoffs.  Blueger/Mikheyev/Lindholm/Lafferty can be subbed out for harder nosed players.l that open up space for the skill guys.

I agree that upgrading the defense has stabilized things. A Chychrun/Hronek swap would be interesting, assuming both teams were able to come to terms on extensions. Chychrun's a little older and an LD, but they're probably in the same tier of D. 

I'm not convinced Tanev comes back, I think he'll go elsewhere but I'm just speculating. Myers could very well be back imo. I'd be a little surprised to see Cole back, could see them looking for a younger option, but he may be.  I think there's a chance Zadorov may price himself out of Vancouver, but who knows. I'm really not overly keen on the prospect of paying him 4.5M+ to be a 5D. But if we do, hopefully it's the term isn't more than four years. 

Only Soucy, Hughes, and Juulsen are signed through next season, we could see a very different group. 

Mikheyev's an oddball, he's a middle six tweener who does bring some useful tools, but he's struggled to produce. Wouldn't be surprised if we pay to move him, wouldn't be surprised if he's at camp. Wouldn't be surprised if he were better next season either. 

Harder nosed guys who are also top six players are tricky to track down though, every team wants players of that ilk and teams tend to hold on to them when they have them. I personally think we need at least another top six winger though, Sutur shouldn't be playing in the top six. If they want a harder nosed guy size up front they may have to settle for a complimentary guy with more of a middle six skill set.

I am fairly certain of

Hughes-??

Soucy-???

???-Juulsen.

Anything past that is wild conjecture.  I do suspect Hronek will be back but think $8M is too much.

Juulsen earned a starting spot this year and at $775k it is hard to envision a better option for third pairing right D.

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I am fairly certain of

Hughes-??

Soucy-???

???-Juulsen.

Anything past that is wild conjecture.  I do suspect Hronek will be back but think $8M is too much.

Juulsen earned a starting spot this year and at $775k it is hard to envision a better option for third pairing right D.

Particularly given they're going to need to cut cap somewhere with the extensions they'll be dolling out/having kick in. 

But yeah, with only three guys signed through next season we could have a very different looking D core at camp. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I am fairly certain of

Hughes-??

Soucy-???

???-Juulsen.

We need Hronek back.  It's the amount of minutes that he can eat up while still being effective that makes such a big difference for the rest of the RHD in our lineup.  If you had Myers playing 23min a night, I guarantee we would likely see chaos giraffe.  The reason this year's D group is so much better is because we have that top pair capable of eating up a TON of minutes.  We can't lose that.

• Cheers 1

He's kind of a unicorn type player on defense, monster-size, mean and enjoys being a bully, throws big hits, has silky mitts... big guy, soft hands as Dhali would say. He's absolutely someone they should prioritize re-signing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/28/2024 at 12:48 AM, Drakrami said:

Zadorov played 22:31 yesterday. The only player who played more minutes was Hughes. Not sure how you can even compare Soucy to Zadorov. 

Zadorov is our 2nd best Dman in the playoffs right now and it shows in the minutes he is playing. $5 million would be a bargain for him at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Zadorov played 22:31 yesterday. The only player who played more minutes was Hughes. Not sure how you can even compare Soucy to Zadorov. 

Zadorov is our 2nd best Dman in the playoffs right now and it shows in the minutes he is playing. $5 million would be a bargain for him at this point. 

But... but... he's a bottom pairing defenceman......... 🙃

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

We need Hronek back.  It's the amount of minutes that he can eat up while still being effective that makes such a big difference for the rest of the RHD in our lineup.  If you had Myers playing 23min a night, I guarantee we would likely see chaos giraffe.  The reason this year's D group is so much better is because we have that top pair capable of eating up a TON of minutes.  We can't lose that.

Myers played 3 more minutes last night than Hronek. There was no chaos out there. He’s built for the playoffs just like Zadorov. He’s already eating big minutes in the playoffs and excelling. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Myers played 3 more minutes last night than Hronek. There was no chaos out there. He’s built for the playoffs just like Zadorov. He’s already eating big minutes in the playoffs and excelling. 

I'm saying long term.  If Myers does that for 82 games plus the playoffs... he won't look nearly as good.  Just my opinion.  Managing his workload is one of the reasons for what has him playing so much better.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

But... but... he's a bottom pairing defenceman......... 🙃

I haven’t heard from any of those posters lately. I wonder why. The Lindholm sucks posters seem to be missing as well. 

Zadorov and Lindholm are built for the playoffs. That’s why Allvin got them. In Allvin we trust. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I'm saying long term.  If Myers does that for 82 games plus the playoffs... he won't look nearly as good.  Just my opinion.  Managing his workload is one of the reasons for what has him playing so much better.

I haven’t seen much chaos from Myers in a long time. Foote and Gonchar have done an incredible job with him. You can’t teach 6’8”. He’s a key cog in our run to the cup this year. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson