[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

If we can offer Big Z term of 7 or 8 years to keep his AAV down, I don't see how we can let this guy walk after this postseason. We need guys who perform when it matters, and he deserves to be the #2LHD behind Hughes, with Soucy on the bottom pairing. If we trade Hronek for good assets, sign Tanev for a couple years to play with Hughs (all he has to do it get the puck to him), and develop Willander, I think we can get away with not locking in Hronek for too much money.

Size on D matters. 

Not a coincidence that Z, Myers and Soucy have all elevated their play in the post season. 

Size also adds durability and prevents injuries. 

Soucy was the only one that was injured lot this year and he seems to have a bit of an injury prone career. I feel like Z is a tank. 

Itll be interesting to see what management does but I hope they re-sign Z

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

If we can offer Big Z term of 7 or 8 years to keep his AAV down, I don't see how we can let this guy walk after this postseason. We need guys who perform when it matters, and he deserves to be the #2LHD behind Hughes, with Soucy on the bottom pairing. If we trade Hronek for good assets, sign Tanev for a couple years to play with Hughs (all he has to do it get the puck to him), and develop Willander, I think we can get away with not locking in Hronek for too much money.

An 8 year deal would take zadorov to age 38.  That is absolutely insane.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Absolutely not, I understand folks wanting to keep him but he's 29, he'll be 30 before the first year of his extension is done. We shouldn't be giving him a 7-8 year deal, that'd take him to 37 or 38. 

Anyone who's not a core guy shouldn't be getting term, the Canucks need to be very careful about who they allocate cap and extensive term to. 

At least 4-5 would be tolerable depending on the cap hit, that'd have him expiring at 34-35. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Coryberg said:

An 8 year deal would take zadorov to age 38.  That is absolutely insane.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Absolutely not, I understand folks wanting to keep him but he's 29, he'll be 30 before the first year of his extension is done. We shouldn't be giving him a 7-8 year deal, that'd take him to 37 or 38. 

Anyone who's not a core guy shouldn't be getting term, the Canucks need to be very careful about who they allocate cap and extensive term to. 

At least 4-5 would be tolerable depending on the cap hit, that'd have him expiring at 34-35. 

Math was never my strong subject. Five years would be okay with me, so maybe $20m total. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Zadorov has been a very pleasant surprise.

When he first arrived, I thought that he was going to be a valuable but relatively costly 3rd pairing D-man. A strong, physical and large person that really used his size. 

Then in the second half of the season, maybe it was just a matter of getting comfortable with his teammates or maybe a confidence thing, for whatever reason Big Z starting lugging the mail up the ice, often weaving through defenders in the neutral zone and even spending some time deep in the offensive zone. He was looking good while doing this and was taking care of the back end, as well. 

Zadorov is displaying the talent that you want in a 2nd pairing defenceman.

If we re-sign Zadorov, we would then have Hughes as the #1 LHD, Zadorov as the #2 LHD and Soucy as the #3 LHD.

Reportedly, Zadorov had asked for a 5x5 extension earlier ( I think it was Frank Seravalli doing the reporting). 

This is probably in the ballpark of where his next contract will land.

Having watched both Zadorov and Hronek for the last half of the year and the first round of playoffs, I would re-prioritize who we sign next and I would have Zadorov ahead of Hronek.

Hronek, to me, is an enigma.

His first half of the year was very good and I was smiling while contemplating him as one half of our #1 defensive pairing. He was carrying the puck up the ice. He was making some slick passes to the forwards and he was using his cannon of a shot.

His second half of the year, he no longer carries the puck up the ice with any regularity. His go-to pass now is a D to D pass over to Hughes. He routinely defers to Hughes and makes little effort to skate the puck up the ice himself. He seldom uses his big point shot anymore. He is our weakest defender.

Checked the team stats after the first round. Hronek is the only D-man, who has played all six games, that has zero points. He is also tied for the worst plus-minus on the team at -2.

What has happened to Hronek? This is not the same player that was making me smile at the beginning of the year.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Zadorov has been a very pleasant surprise.

When he first arrived, I thought that he was going to be a valuable but relatively costly 3rd pairing D-man. A strong, physical and large person that really used his size. 

Then in the second half of the season, maybe it was just a matter of getting comfortable with his teammates or maybe a confidence thing, for whatever reason Big Z starting lugging the mail up the ice, often weaving through defenders in the neutral zone and even spending some time deep in the offensive zone. He was looking good while doing this and was taking care of the back end, as well. 

Zadorov is displaying the talent that you want in a 2nd pairing defenceman.

If we re-sign Zadorov, we would then have Hughes as the #1 LHD, Zadorov as the #2 LHD and Soucy as the #3 LHD.

Reportedly, Zadorov had asked for a 5x5 extension earlier ( I think it was Frank Seravalli doing the reporting). 

This is probably in the ballpark of where his next contract will land.

Having watched both Zadorov and Hronek for the last half of the year and the first round of playoffs, I would re-prioritize who we sign next and I would have Zadorov ahead of Hronek.

Hronek, to me, is an enigma.

His first half of the year was very good and I was smiling while contemplating him as one half of our #1 defensive pairing. He was carrying the puck up the ice. He was making some slick passes to the forwards and he was using his cannon of a shot.

His second half of the year, he no longer carries the puck up the ice with any regularity. His go-to pass now is a D to D pass over to Hughes. He routinely defers to Hughes and makes little effort to skate the puck up the ice himself. He seldom uses his big point shot anymore. He is our weakest defender.

Checked the team stats after the first round. Hronek is the only D-man, who has played all six games, that has zero points. He is also tied for the worst plus-minus on the team at -2.

What has happened to Hronek? This is not the same player that was making me smile at the beginning of the year.

I question whether Hronek's been fully healthy tbh

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I question whether Hronek's been fully healthy tbh

Hronek is a guy that needs the puck alot to be successful and quite frankly when you play with Hughes and Miller alot there isn't alot of puck to go around.  Even our PP chemistry I think gets thrown off abit from optimal as so much funnels through Hughes and Miller.  From a look perspective I think there's room for Petey to be more creative on the power play or a Hronek if featured on PP1 and get out of the same old patterns on the umbrella to be less predictable.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Coconuts said:

yep.  6x5M is what I would do.  Given his role on the team and his offensive numbers.  His ceiling is a low 2nd / high 3rd pairing D.  He has improved and may continue to improve with Foote and Gonchar on our coaching team.

With him signed, our left side would be solidified for next year.  Hughes, Soucy and Zads.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coho8888 said:

yep.  6x5M is what I would do.  Given his role on the team and his offensive numbers.  His ceiling is a low 2nd / high 3rd pairing D.  He has improved and may continue to improve with Foote and Gonchar on our coaching team.

With him signed, our left side would be solidified for next year.  Hughes, Soucy and Zads.

Mmm, I don't think I'd go longer than five years personally. I'd rather pay a slightly higher amount for shorter term, Zadorov is effective now but even five years is more than I'd personally like to give. 

Personally I'd prefer it if we could keep Zadorov's deal to four years, which would have his deal expiring when he's 34. I'm generally not keen on deals that take guys into their later 30's and while Zadorov can be an effective D I question whether he'll be playing at this level a few years down the road, let alone five or six years down the road. 

The Canucks should be sticking to short and medium term deals for anyone who's not a core piece imo, this approach will give them more cap flex more often than not. This is best case scenario of course, but it's something they should be trying to do. 

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Mmm, I don't think I'd go longer than five years personally. I'd rather pay a slightly higher amount for shorter term, Zadorov is effective now but even five years is more than I'd personally like to give. 

Personally I'd prefer it if we could keep Zadorov's deal to four years, which would have his deal expiring when he's 34. I'm generally not keen on deals that take guys into their later 30's and while Zadorov can be an effective D I question whether he'll be playing at this level a few years down the road, let alone five or six years down the road. 

The Canucks should be sticking to short and medium term deals for anyone who's not a core piece imo, this approach will give them more cap flex more often than not. This is best case scenario of course, but it's something they should be trying to do. 

Just a slight correction. Hope that I don't come across as being overly pedantic.

A four year deal signed this summer would expire when Zadorov is 33. Not 34.

Zadorov has an April 16th, 1995 birthdate and is presently 29 years old. He would turn 33 in April of the final year of a four year contract.

I think that we could, with not too much trepidation, give Zadorov a five year contract this summer. This contract would expire just several months after Big Z has turned 34.

If necessary, I would give consideration to a six year contract but it wouldn't be my preferred length.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Just a slight correction. Hope that I don't come across as being overly pedantic.

A four year deal signed this summer would expire when Zadorov is 33. Not 34.

Zadorov has an April 16th, 1995 birthdate and is presently 29 years old. He would turn 33 in April of the final year of a four year contract.

I think that we could, with not too much trepidation, give Zadorov a five year contract this summer. This contract would expire just several months after Big Z has turned 34.

If necessary, I would give consideration to a six year contract but it wouldn't be my preferred length.

Five years max imo, would prefer four though, even with a higher cap hit

• Cheers 1

4-5yr term with a cap hit of 4.25-5m max is what I would be willing to do. He has to play in the top 4 tho not on the bottom pair.

I prioritize signing Zadorov over Hronek, I would just qualify Hronek if he wants 7m or more with term.

Saw someone else post they'd rather sign Z and Lindholm instead of Hronek. 

I like that. Hronek has trade value to bring in a different RHD. Although, they are so hard to find. Worth a premium for sure. 

On 5/6/2024 at 9:28 AM, Jester13 said:

I agree. He's looking for term, then I say we give it to him. He's a big body, so he's not likely to break down physically compared to perhaps smaller players. He's also thick. I think 6-7 years is good term? or 5-6 years? If management can keep his cap hit around 4-4.5M, that would be ideal. The most I'd go for Big Z is 5M, anything after that, and it's going to look a little iffy moving forward. The question for me is can he play in the top four? Because if he's going to be a bottom pairing defenseman for that amount of money, I think as much as I love him, it's going to be difficult to justify no? 

40 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Joshua's too, dude gonna get paid 

Priorit for me is Joshua and Zadorov. Since Hronek is an RFA, he can wait. Plus, he rejected the Canuck's previous reported offer of 8 years at 6.5M. 

1 hour ago, BabychStache said:

Saw someone else post they'd rather sign Z and Lindholm instead of Hronek. 

I like that. Hronek has trade value to bring in a different RHD. Although, they are so hard to find. Worth a premium for sure. 

Yeah, he's a RHD, so those guys are worth their weight in gold. I'd love to keep Hronek, but he's been invisible these playoffs so far. Zadorov and Joshua has been noticeable difference makers this postseason for sure - Lindholm too. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree. He's looking for term, then I say we give it to him. He's a big body, so he's not likely to break down physically compared to perhaps smaller players. He's also thick. I think 6-7 years is good term? or 5-6 years? If management can keep his cap hit around 4-4.5M, that would be ideal. The most I'd go for Big Z is 5M, anything after that, and it's going to look a little iffy moving forward. The question for me is can he play in the top four? Because if he's going to be a bottom pairing defenseman for that amount of money, I think as much as I love him, it's going to be difficult to justify no? 

I think after this postseason he deserves to be promoted to #2LHD and Soucy drops down to #3. I'd honestly think about six or seven years to keep his term down and worry about his later years down the road. He's showing his worth on the ice, and Tocc has mentioned many times how valuable he is in the room and on the bench. 

I think we're going to see some amazing team-friendly deals coming our way, including Joshua, Big Z, and Lindholm.