[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

51 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

They gotta get Zadorov signed. Guys like him don't grow on trees. Say the Canucks offer him $4.5 and he wants $6, I say meet in the middle and go up to $5.25 per and 6 years. Could we all live with that?

I certainly could.  Although as some others have said, if he continues to play behind both Hughes and Soucy on the left side, it's hard to justify payng that to a third pairing D man.  In my own opinion though, I see Zadorov as being a stonger all-around D man that Soucy , with much greater upside.  My own solution would be to put Soucy on the third pairing and Zadorov on the second.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

I certainly could.  Although as some others have said, if he continues to play behind both Hughes and Soucy on the left side, it's hard to justify payng that to a third pairing D man.  In my own opinion though, I see Zadorov as being a stonger all-around D man that Soucy , with much greater upside.  My own solution would be to put Soucy on the third pairing and Zadorov on the second.

What about starting next season with our D like this?

H and H

Z and Myers

Soucy and Juulsson 

Not too sure who fits in the #7 role? 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Diamonds said:

The thing is it's not just can Zadorov keep up with Hughes for a couple shifts or play with him for the odd game. It's asking for him to play an extra 5min/game at even strength more than what he played this past season, and it's with Hughes. That's a very large jump and a lot to ask.

I think Zadorov already answered in the playoffs that at least for short stints he can keep up with Hughes, but that doesn't mean he can do it for a full season.

By "do it for the full season", do you mean he needs to consistently play 20 min a game paired with Hughes? If so, then I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. I think it's more likely he just plays situationally with Hughes, e.g. when other teams try targeting him, esp. in the playoffs. However, for 5m+, I would expect him to have top 4 deployment. 

Edited by syntheticity
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don’t think Zadorov is a long term fit with Hughes, but if he can do 19-20 minutes a night as a #4 I think you can live giving him up to 5.  

Especially with Soucy at 3.25 it would be nice to go:

7.85 for Hughes (3 years left)

4.75 for Zadorov (6 years?)

3.25 for Soucy (2 years left)

That’s hardly egregious IMO.  

The problem is, the team has much more pressing needs than signing a 3rd LD especially since Hughes and Soucy are solid. As it stands, we only have Juulsen on the right.  No 3C /  #1 PK C. and a gaping hole in the top 6, particularly on Petey’s wing. Locking in Zadorov at 5 isn’t the end of the world, but some other pieces need to fall in first, unless he’s willing to take a legitimate haircut. 

I don’t see him doing that, but I also don’t see anyone throwing a giant bag of cash at him on day 1 of UFA.  Likely scenario, he dips his toe in FA and realizes PA’s offer is competitive enough to return to a good situation. 

If not, Brendan Dillon looks like a great “plan B” option whose contract situation will leave a lot more flexibility for a guy like D Petey to slide in over the short/mid term.

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, syntheticity said:

By "do it for the full season", do you mean he needs to consistently play 20 min a game paired with Hughes? If so, then I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. I think it's more likely he just plays situationally with Hughes, e.g. when other teams try targeting him, esp. in the playoffs. However, for 5m+, I would expect him to have top 4 deployment. 

My post was related to to whether he can be Hughes' partner next season. That means yes, playing consistently 20min/game with Hughes. Otherwise we run into the Schenn problem where we had to double shift Myers to make up the extra time. Zadorov being able to do spot duty with Hughes is awesome, but that doesn't negate the need for a full-time partner for Hughes unless you think Zadorov can actually do that.

Consistent second pairing time with 17-18min/game even strength and 19-20min/game total should be doable for him though with the right partner. I'm not yet convinced that Zadorov could carry a second pairing but he can still be a very valuable player. To me that still caps out at $5M because there's just not a long enough track record of him playing at that playoffs level.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Well, the latest rumors be that term is the main thing for Zads. Sounds like he wants 6-8 years. Wonder how low he'd go for a 6 or 7 year deal. It'd age pretty well honestly. If it's 5mil or lower.

I wonder if he'd be willing to do something like $4Mx7. $28M total, the equivalent of $5.6Mx5. He would probably be overpaid the last two years, but realistically our window is the next 5. The $4M cap hit allows us to re-sign a guy like Joshua or upgrade other parts of the roster.

• Like 1

Zadorov has stated he's prioritizing term a bit more then AAV.

7 yrs x 3.75?

He takes a bit of a hit at the front, the team takes a bit at the end.

One key point is that he's also stated he and his family love Vancouver.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Komodo0921 said:

7 yrs x 3.75?

As long as it’s buy out friendly I have no problem going long term.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Komodo0921 said:

7 yrs x 3.75?

I’m assuming it will take closer to $5M per, even at long term.

Honestly, I’d do $4.5M x 7, provided the last 2 years are buyout friendly. Even then, if he slows down enough, he may end up on Robidas Island anyways.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Diamonds said:

My post was related to to whether he can be Hughes' partner next season. That means yes, playing consistently 20min/game with Hughes. Otherwise we run into the Schenn problem where we had to double shift Myers to make up the extra time. Zadorov being able to do spot duty with Hughes is awesome, but that doesn't negate the need for a full-time partner for Hughes unless you think Zadorov can actually do that.

Consistent second pairing time with 17-18min/game even strength and 19-20min/game total should be doable for him though with the right partner. I'm not yet convinced that Zadorov could carry a second pairing but he can still be a very valuable player. To me that still caps out at $5M because there's just not a long enough track record of him playing at that playoffs level.

I could see Z pairing just fine with Myers or Soucy on the second unit, with spot duty alongside Hughes as needed. My comfort with Z at 5+ is tied to what happens with Hronek..

2 hours ago, Komodo0921 said:

7 yrs x 3.75?

That ain’t happening. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Woo/Willander/Pettersson?

Even Freidman or McWard would work for spot duty next year. Personally, I’d have Freidman and Woo as 7 and 8 dman with team, or just Woo if they’re sticking with 7.

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Komodo0921 said:

7 yrs x 3.75?

He reportedly turned down $4.5x5. He's not taking $3.75x7 

Edited by qwijjibo

If you can get him for 4.75.. for like 6-7 thats only a million raise from what he's making now.. but he gets 33 million over all value which is almost the (6x6) others were talking about.. And in 4 or 5 years that won't be a lot of money relative to the cap if you had to move it.. or buy it out.  

If you basically took myers 6 million from last year.. you could resign myers for a couple years at 3.. then take the other 3 and split it between Zadorov and Hronek.. so Hronek gets 2  plus maybe a bit more  to get to around 7... Zadorov to 4.75. And you haven't really spent anymore on the main parts of the D than you did last year. 

You'd have your top pair locked up for then next 3 years... your size Myers, Soucy, Zadorov locked up ( and I do think that size made a big difference to the defense this year) All at basically the same price you were paying for all those players this year.. just redistributed. And one space open for someone else with Coles money.