[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

2 hours ago, Rekker said:

I will be choked if Zads isn't re-signed. That said, it's not a blank cheque kind of thing and Zads needs to be reasonable if he wants to be on this team. Same with most any contender really as almost all contending teams are against the cap. Just get it done please. Love this player.

Think Vancouver has the 6th most cap space in the NHL come July.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Negotiations can change on a dime so I’m not too worried yet.

Im thinking it will likely come down to the Canucks budging on term. Adding an extra year likely gets it done.

I'm thinking open market Zadorov would get offers up to $6M x 7 years = $42M.  He has publicly stated he would give the Canucks a discount.  Let's say $5.75M over 7 years = $40.25M.

7 years brings him to 36yo.

8 years brings him to 37yo.

Canucks can sign him to that extra year.  $40.25M over 8 years = $5.03M AAV. 

In 8 years, the cap could realistically be about $105M.  A $5.03M cap hit with a $105M upper limit is the mathematical equivalent to $4M with an $83.5M upper limit today. 

Do I think Zadorov could realistically be a $4M defenceman at 37yo?  I think so.  At least he won't be far off in value. His skating, size, and strength tells me he would be perfectly fine as a bruising 3rd pairing guy by then.  With that being the case, we would theoretically get full value out of his entire contract.

So $5M x 8 years would get it done. 

If Zadorov gives the Canucks a $500k discount equivalent, then the deal would look like $4.8M x 8 years.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He is the only one who has publicly stated he WANTS to stay,.   Just as JT did ..

I think it’s done .

Would be really nice to have that physical presence and swagger on our blueline for an extended number of years.

Would be a fantastic environment for a guy like Willander to walk into.  Imagine having that physical beast as your partner as you gain your footing in the NHL as a potential top tier RHD. 

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

sounds like they're up to a million apart. 

According to Chek TV’s Rick Dhaliwal, Zadorov is asking for above $5M annually, and some believe it could be as high as $6M.
We’ll see what happens. A decision on Zadorov’s future in Vancouver looks to be made this upcoming weekend, as the club will make its final offer to the Russian defenceman to keep him in Canucks colours for years to come.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

According to Chek TV’s Rick Dhaliwal, Zadorov is asking for above $5M annually, and some believe it could be as high as $6M.
We’ll see what happens. A decision on Zadorov’s future in Vancouver looks to be made this upcoming weekend, as the club will make its final offer to the Russian defenceman to keep him in Canucks colours for years to come.

Just stretch out the term to get the yearly cap down to where the club needs. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Just settle inbetween at $5.5-$5.7 million and everyone walks away happy. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

40 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He is the only one who has publicly stated he WANTS to stay,.   Just as JT did ..

I think it’s done .

Really hope so. He was my fav player in the playoffs. We haven’t had a defender play such a heavy game with offensive talent like him since JovoCop

• Like 4

This is negotiating 101.

PA and his agent are doing the same dance. If both sides want to get something done they’ll get something done.

All about those pressure points. They did the same thing with Horvat and Pettersson.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm thinking open market Zadorov would get offers up to $6M x 7 years = $42M.  He has publicly stated he would give the Canucks a discount.  Let's say $5.75M over 7 years = $40.25M.

7 years brings him to 36yo.

8 years brings him to 37yo.

Canucks can sign him to that extra year.  $40.25M over 8 years = $5.03M AAV. 

In 8 years, the cap could realistically be about $105M.  A $5.03M cap hit with a $105M upper limit is the mathematical equivalent to $4M with an $83.5M upper limit today. 

Do I think Zadorov could realistically be a $4M defenceman at 37yo?  I think so.  At least he won't be far off in value. His skating, size, and strength tells me he would be perfectly fine as a bruising 3rd pairing guy by then.  With that being the case, we would theoretically get full value out of his entire contract.

So $5M x 8 years would get it done. 

If Zadorov gives the Canucks a $500k discount equivalent, then the deal would look like $4.8M x 8 years.

Good analysis but, i think if the cap in 8 years is only $105M than the NHL won't be doing to well.

I'd expect the cap in 8 years to be in the $112-120 range which is an average of $3m-4m annual increases or 3.25-4% annual increase which is in line with historical percentage increases pre-covid.

if cap is 112 in 8 years than that 5/year contract would be 4.4% of cap which is equivalant of 3.92m of a 88m cap.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think it’s done .

This looks encouraging, get it done PA!!! 

• Cheers 1

Here's an outlook of a cap if cap goes up 3.25% annually which is reasonable

Start  Of  
2024  $        88.0
2025  $        90.9
2026  $        93.8
2027  $        96.9
2028  $     100.0
2029  $     103.3
2030  $     106.6
2031  $     110.1
2032  $     113.7

5 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Good analysis but, i think if the cap in 8 years is only $105M than the NHL won't be doing to well.

I'd expect the cap in 8 years to be in the $112-120 range which is an average of $3m-4m annual increases or 3.25-4% annual increase which is in line with historical percentage increases pre-covid.

if cap is 112 in 8 years than that 5/year contract would be 4.4% of cap which is equivalant of 3.92m of a 88m cap.

Probably.  I'm an accountant... so super conservative lol

I hope they will get a deal done. Z brings so much more than just numbers and ice time.  The size, swagger, and intimidation factor he brings plus it sounds like he is well liked and jokes around the room to help de-stress the locker room. 

Got a good feeling about this. I think Myers will get done soon after this.  Hronk...no idea. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2