[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's not happening 

The point is it could happen. Willander isn’t signed because he’s a college kid. But we could sign him over the summer. There’s no rule against that. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

this is how I think we approach the start of the season on Defence.

Hughes   Hroncek 

Zadorov    Willander 

Myers    Dillon 

Jullsen   EPetterson  

I think Willander is ALL IN To make this Squad,   and I Do Not think he will be out of step with his game or develop with THIS coaching staff.  He is fast and smart .

Better  for Willander and EPetterson/ Dman to be with them.

they have both played very well on the World stage.

Monetarily speaking :

Myers:  (34yrs) 2.5 x 2 / tradeable 2nd year

Dillon :  (33yrs) 2.5 x 2 / tradeable 2nd year

Zadorov 5.5 x 6 / tradeable last 2 seasons

Willander. ELC

Petterson  ELC 

Hroneck  Qualifies @ 5.28 m / Arbitrary?

What might be roughly close to 20m for a season 

Dillon Wants to be here.

Myers wants to be here.

Zadorov wants to be here.

Juulsen wants to be here.

Thats a pretty good ( but rough) supporting staff with what we have and a couple of rising stars may make it quite dynamic.

* I try not to get into the overhype of right or left handed..  the game has evolved into roving positions with systems.

Yes,  strong sides for Face Offs ,  but after that “set play”, The game moves rapidly in man coverage and zone coverage.

Hell i forgot about Soucy !!  Lol 

makes it even better to have him !

I like this a lot. And with a young guy like Willander coming in soon, who plays a heavy game, having Big Z as his partner is a very smart move. Touch the rookie and get destroyed. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I like this a lot. And with a young guy like Willander coming in soon, who plays a heavy game, having Big Z as his partner is a very smart move. Touch the rookie and get destroyed. 

its a a set of  mix n match pairings that I think allows all of those players to become better with each other.

also allows Willander and Pettersson to go back and forth from the farm.

With them out :

Hughes Zadorov

Hroneck Dillon 

Myers Juulsen 

……

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

its a a set of  mix n match pairings that I think allows all of those players to become better with each other.

also allows Willander and Pettersson to go back and forth from the farm.

With them out :

Hughes Zadorov

Hroneck Dillon 

Myers Juulsen 

……

And D-Petey and Willander are very close to being on the big club. Having giants like Big Z and Myers go a long way to making the transition to the NHL for young D a lot easier.,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arsenalian said:

Well we had Z, Myers, and Soucy and Hughes got pummeled to the point he was far less effective than in the regular season.

Thats why I said that the Hughes/Hronek pairing didn't work and a change needs to be made. Hronek on a different pairing would give us the luxury of playing Hughes in more ideal situations

10 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Thats why I said that the Hughes/Hronek pairing didn't work and a change needs to be made. Hronek on a different pairing would give us the luxury of playing Hughes in more ideal situations

And then you'd be paying a huge, long term salary to a guy getting 35ish points

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

You take hronek away from Hughes and I'd bet he's well under 40 points

How many second pairing D, who don’t get PP minutes while they PK a lot, put up over 40 points?
Oh. That’s right. IT IS ZERO!!!! 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Once we realize Z is not just “BiG” and “Physical”,   And that he actually ShutsDown the offensive attack and turns up with the offensive quickly ,  It’s hard not to see his value .

His quickness on the Hits results in solid Defensive Skill.

is it any wonder he might be getting bigger offers?

He changed the complexities of our Defence core almost overnight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

It's not happening 

What’s not happening?  
Him staying in college this upcoming season?

Or him signing?    
I already said I thinks he is in college next year. 

Edited by D.B Cooper

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If Willander were to sign this summer, which I doubt, he would still start in the AHL. They’re not bringing him into the NHL immediately.  Both Alvin and Rutherford have said they want their prospects to be “over ripe” so that when they come into the NHL they don’t struggle and they aren’t sent back. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I agree, Hronek did so well because he was with Hughes. I don't think he is worth what he is asking. He is a good defenseman but only does it "well" not "exceptional", like Z and Hughes.

but then you throw in tight checking and physical play, and then he is far less effective.

I was only thinking if he signed at a reasonable contract. Then he would be a good offensive threat on the #2 d pairing.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Once we realize Z is not just “BiG” and “Physical”,   And that he actually ShutsDown the offensive attack and turns up with the offensive quickly ,  It’s hard not to see his value .

His quickness on the Hits results in solid Defensive Skill.

is it any wonder he might be getting bigger offers?

He changed the complexities of our Defence core almost overnight.

Yeah, I hear you, I just don't think management is willing to go where Millstein and Zadorov's asking is. I'd be surprised if the Canucks announced a deal with Zadorov this week, and if it's not happening this week, you'd have to think that he would just wait another week before the start of free agency. I don't see him lasting that first day. He, Lindholm, Joshua are all going to be gone by July 1st. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree, Hronek did so well because he was with Hughes. I don't think he is worth what he is asking. He is a good defenseman but only does it "well" not "exceptional", like Z and Hughes.

but then you throw in tight checking and physical play, and then he is far less effective.

I was only thinking if he signed at a reasonable contract. Then he would be a good offensive threat on the #2 d pairing.

And little to no pp time.  So all of a sudden you're taking away the Hughes points and not getting pp time, but paying him like a top line d and top line pp guy

1 hour ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

If Willander were to sign this summer, which I doubt, he would still start in the AHL. They’re not bringing him into the NHL immediately.  Both Alvin and Rutherford have said they want their prospects to be “over ripe” so that when they come into the NHL they don’t struggle and they aren’t sent back. 

Let alone intk a top 4 spot 

I do think what management was able to do last summer is going to set us up for some disappointment this offseason.

The OEL buyout plus shipping picks to get out of Dickinson gave us a big whack of cap space in a largely capped out league.  

Soucy, Suter, Bleuger, Lafferty, Cole, Zadorov were all easy to make because we had the cap space other teams didn’t.  

Now we still have a ton of flexibility, but it’s back to old fashioned competition and unfortunately all our UFAs and Hronek had career years.  They all know the cap is going up. It won’t be like last year where it felt like Allvin was the only one shopping. 

Edited by The Duke
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

32 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I do think what management was able to do last summer is going to set us up for some disappointment this offseason.

The OEL buyout plus shipping picks to get out of Dickinson gave us a big whack of cap space in a largely capped out league.  

Soucy, Suter, Bleuger, Lafferty, Cole, Zadorov were all easy to make because we had the cap space other teams didn’t.  

Now we still have a ton of flexibility, but it’s back to old fashioned competition and unfortunately all our UFAs and Hronek had career years.  They all know the cap is going up. It won’t be like last year where it felt like Allvin was the only one shopping. 

Agreed, I think they're going to have to be creative.........they're not going to be able to just outbid teams

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Looking like Zadorov's not coming back from the sounds of some media peeps. 

The media doesn’t know shit, ever since the covid season and shit the continue to try and pull with this team I have given them zero credit 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

well under? he has 38 points in 60 games with detroit with a far inferior offensive team.. i really don't understand the narrative on CDC that hronek sucks he only gotten points because of Hughes.. can easily argue he's gotten less points in vancouver because of hughes.. as he no longer plays pp1 no longer the primary defenceman in any offensive attack.. ppl here pretends his career never existed in detroit where he average slightly above 42 points a season..

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1