[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

45 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I do think what management was able to do last summer is going to set us up for some disappointment this offseason.

The OEL buyout plus shipping picks to get out of Dickinson gave us a big whack of cap space in a largely capped out league.  

Soucy, Suter, Bleuger, Lafferty, Cole, Zadorov were all easy to make because we had the cap space other teams didn’t.  

Now we still have a ton of flexibility, but it’s back to old fashioned competition and unfortunately all our UFAs and Hronek had career years.  They all know the cap is going up. It won’t be like last year where it felt like Allvin was the only one shopping. 

The career years and wise management can be a blessing 

we won’t over pay and we can move some guys for higher value assuming they’re not UFA’s 

this group is financially prudent and will pay guys they really want to stay 

others who they have assessed as beneficiaries of their linemates who want more value than they are worth they will move or let walk 

so the silver lining is, this isn’t Benning who hands our money and NTC like candy 

Edited by ArmchairGM22
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

well under? he has 38 points in 60 games with detroit with a far inferior offensive team.. i really don't understand the narrative on CDC that hronek sucks he only gotten points because of Hughes.. can easily argue he's gotten less points in vancouver because of hughes.. as he no longer plays pp1 no longer the primary defenceman in any offensive attack.. ppl here pretends his career never existed in detroit where he average slightly above 42 points a season..

On a first pair with pp mins.  

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

the door is closed, well not quite, it could be open, maybe the cat opened it. 

Or maybe it didn't...... or maybe it did after all..... or maybe....

bla bla bla...

He has got 50/50 chance of being right and even so, he still covers his back...

• ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

On a first pair with pp mins.  

ya exactly? he's shown he can play 1st pair with pp mins on a sub par offensive team? just because he plays behind QH offensively? which is the exact same role means he's trash and not even capable of 40 points? like it's his fault we bring in players that doesn't fit the role and put them in lesser role than they are capable of so therefore they should take a pay cut? i didn't like the hronek trade from day 1 because he doesn't fit the role nor do i think he'll sign for cheap.. he's too expensive to be a complimentary player to hughes and hes' too expensive to be a 2nd pairing. 

7 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Ah the good old media crutch has reared its head again eh?
”Poor little us!  The mean old media said something I don’t like so that means they’re out to get us.  I don’t even pay attention to them anyways!  Except for all the times that I respond to their comments and articles that is. One time their speculation was wrong so that means that I know everything and they don’t!”  
haha never gets old!

I don't see EF saying yes or no...

At the monent it looks like he it taking status quo, and saying they haven't come to an agreement yet, so it could go both ways. 

Zadorov won't sign for what has been offered... otherwise he would have signed by now. 

That much we all know... But since Canucks sacked the blabber mouth, they've run a tight ship, and nobody outside the inner circle knows, what their next moves is, until its made.

They may have said to big Z, this is the top line we can go to, and Z or Canucks may have leaked it to Friedman, but what he is stating is basically, "I don't think, they can do it, but I don't know"...

If he knew, he would have to leave the door open... And for the record I don't have anything against EF... he does, what he is paid to do. 

PS. Read a few posts down, and saw you are basically saying the same 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, stawns said:

I read it as this "final offer deal" wasnt enough to get it done, but Vancouver still has the inside track for a couple more weeks, so you can't close the book

Exactly... so we just don't know yet. 

You know on one hand I like the patient and the calculating nature of this management group but on the other hand this radio silence is quite frustrating. 

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Exactly... so we just don't know yet. 

Well, most likely knows this offer was rejected, which is pretty much what the statement said

30 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

ya exactly? he's shown he can play 1st pair with pp mins on a sub par offensive team? just because he plays behind QH offensively? which is the exact same role means he's trash and not even capable of 40 points? like it's his fault we bring in players that doesn't fit the role and put them in lesser role than they are capable of so therefore they should take a pay cut? i didn't like the hronek trade from day 1 because he doesn't fit the role nor do i think he'll sign for cheap.. he's too expensive to be a complimentary player to hughes and hes' too expensive to be a 2nd pairing. 

Who has ever once said he's trash?  Not s single person.  What is it with some people here........youre either a hero or trash.

4 minutes ago, JC2 said:

You know on one hand I like the patient and the calculating nature of this management group but on the other hand this radio silence is quite frustrating. 

it’s fascinating really,    It’s like they’re letting the journalists talk themselves into stupidity….  and stop.Chopping Episode 1 GIF by National Geographic TV

I kinda like it !

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, most likely knows this offer was rejected, which is pretty much what the statement said

The statement says, EF thinks it won't get done... then mentions the info we've known for weeks...

And finally at the end, he covers all his bets by saying "I won't close the door on this one yet..." 

Basically saying I don't know...

He may have heard from either side, what status quo is, but the book isn't necessarily closed on this one yet. 

Edited by spook007

Y'all crazy to be wanting to pay 5+ mill for a 3rd pair guy.

Love Zad as much as anyone but he's had 8 seasons to prove he's a top 4 guy and hasn't. Hell he wasn't even a top 4 guy here until playoffs. He played great for 13 games but isn't worth 5.5 over 6 years. 

Love everything he brings but anything over 4.5 on a long term deal is an overpayment. With that being said if it took a shade under 5 to get it done I'd do 4.85 on 6 year deal. Give him the term but if he wants 6x6 cya. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Who has ever once said he's trash?  Not s single person.  What is it with some people here........youre either a hero or trash.

lol literally half the ppl here thinks hronek sucks and he's a by product of hughes

8 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Love Zad as much as anyone but he's had 8 seasons to prove he's a top 4 guy and hasn't. Hell he wasn't even a top 4 guy here until playoffs. He played great for 13 games but isn't worth 5.5 over 6 years. 

Love everything he brings but anything over 4.5 on a long term deal is an overpayment. With that being said if it took a shade under 5 to get it done I'd do 4.85 on 6 year deal. Give him the term but if he wants 6x6 cya. 

I'll disagree there. Zads brought us a sense of swagger and toughness our defense hasn't seen in over a decade and really produced in the playoffs. Imo you can't put a price tag on that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

so who was ur top 4 while he was here? soucy that was on IR literally 3/4 of the season? cole he started to play like trash after 3/4 of the season? myers?? i mean 2 of those 4 have to be in ur top 4