[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

5 minutes ago, VanOriginal said:

This is the thing do we want one big tough SOB 😏 or 2 for the price of that one. 

If we miss out on Z the sky ain't falling, it's still clear, we got other options

With Dillon and Hakanpaa this team will be even tougher to play against. 

Oh yeah. I am in favour of having 4 hulking D with two D that can move the puck. Would give us options. 

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Doubt he will command over 4.  If he does, I also like Forbort. 

As of right now, Brady Skjei is still unsigned.  He might hit UFA too.

Well he made 3.9 last year and had a career year in goals.  With the cap going up and size being valued....I think people are going to be surprised 

Kinda bummed on the news. If we kept big z then the calgary trade would definetly feel more worth it in the long run. The reality is that they were deadline rental players to us when we were practically first in the conference. I still think lindholm and zads had some highlight contributions. We wouldnt have made it to game 7 against edmonton without them i dont think

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Maybe he could be ready. Either way we’d have options. And let’s say they want Hronek(like they’ve talked about) to carry his own pairing and stick Marino with Hughes, that’s gonna elevate Marino and increase his value. 

Marino would also give them a cheap top 4 RD option while we go through the tough 2 years of the OEL buyout cap hit. 

Exactly this.

Huggy/Marino or Honker
Soucy/Honker or Marino
Dillon/Myers

I personally would have slotted Juulsen for 3RD and let Myers walk but not my team 🙂
Willander can come in any time after he's done BU and we have options and we're only spending 25mil on D give or take this way.

Zads was a want not a need really.  Especially at the price he wanted.  Top6 needs a jolt for sure.

• Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

Things to remember as we head into the draft and free agency;

Rutherford has averaged about 1 trade per month in his time in NHL management. He likes to shuffle the deck, expect him to do that over the next few days and make moves that we don't expect or see coming.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Things to remember as we head into the draft and free agency;

Rutherford has averaged about 1 trade per month in his time in NHL management. He likes to shuffle the deck, expect him to do that over the next few days and make moves that we don't expect or see coming.

They don't really have any trade assets though, not without creating deficiencies somewhere else 

8 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

More I think about this the more I’m getting mad we are losing Big Z. 

All he had to do was take less like Joshua, Myers, and Blueger all did. They all left money on the table. 

Sends the wrong message to have them all take less and then to give Zadorov special treatment in the form of an overpayment.

Having a management group that's not willing to overpay is a good thing. 

• Cheers 4

13 minutes ago, Devron said:

Oh we’ll have some over payments once we hit July 1st. Everyone does 

Some guys for sure, but not like the Benning era. And only to a point. They'll be more precise to get us over the hump.

Nooooooo...........if we miss out on Z with an acceptable cap hit and sign someone to a huge payday that doesn't work out, I'd be crushed.

If we can land Tanev and Dillon, that would be a fantastic D still and more money to improve forward depth, but Z will be missed regardless.

Would Buble open his house to Z as well?

The game where he dunked Kane into the coiler bench really stood out for me. The Canucks could bully teams and there was  little they could do.

We are so starved of that element that someone like Z became  a folk hero. It’s probably an element you over pay for but who knows how much he was asking for.

I hope the replacement player is a punishing player. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Some guys for sure, but not like the Benning era. And only to a point. They'll be more precise to get us over the hump.

Your faith is impeccable 

Edited by Devron
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, BigBird79 said:

Exactly this.

Huggy/Marino or Honker
Soucy/Honker or Marino
Dillon/Myers

I personally would have slotted Juulsen for 3RD and let Myers walk but not my team 🙂
Willander can come in any time after he's done BU and we have options and we're only spending 25mil on D give or take this way.

Zads was a want not a need really.  Especially at the price he wanted.  Top6 needs a jolt for sure.

Disagree completely.  The success of last year's team rested almost completely on the d corp.  That's the top priority now, imo 

I expect they're going to load up the right side and bargain shod for the third LD spot 

7 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Well he made 3.9 last year and had a career year in goals.  With the cap going up and size being valued....I think people are going to be surprised 

Age.  He signed his last deal when he was 29yo, plenty of solid years ahead of him.  He is now 33yo signing a deal where he is gonna be in the years where he is very likely to decline.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No kidding.

Its a strikeout to give too much money and term to a guy that’s not gonna be a regular top 4?

Love his size and character but you can’t be overpaying for that.

We aren’t talking astronomical numbers.. we’re talking an overpayment of 1mil at the very most…. Everyone here is salivating over signing a guy like Jake Guentzel who is going to be grossly overpaid and on a 6+ year deal????

Fans can’t have it both ways. If I had to overpay anyone it would be a dman for certain and a guy with something you can teach… SIZE. Size is certainly worth paying for when they know how to use it.

One year of “overpaying” is offset the moment the cap rises.
Almost every single UFA is overpaid. Zadorov at least has age on his side, size you can’t teach and dmen age better than forwards. This was a big miss by management.  

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1