[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Age.  He signed his last deal when he was 29yo, plenty of solid years ahead of him.  He is now 33yo signing a deal where he is gonna be in the years where he is very likely to decline.

He is not earning more than last year's cap.

He projects between 2.85m to 3.5m per. 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Strikeout? Bullshit! It's management being responsible.

Yes, it hurts but we can't go back into overpayments like Benning era. This comment by Mac is part of the problem with the media. 

Mac is just trying to get "likes" by the fan base. He knows how much Canucks fans want Zad back.

Zadorov wants big money though, maybe to help pay for all of those expensive suits and his lavish lifestyle. 

I appreciate JR/PA's restraint and discipline. The biggest need is still a winger for Petey. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Petey O said:

It's only going to hurt if he goes to the freaking Leafs or a western Canadian team.

Literally anywhere else and it's not a huge deal.

If he ends up in LA, we'll likely regret it on a regular basis....

• Vintage 1

My guess is PA gave final offer on Z and the numbers are are far apart. PA must have done the responsible thing and offered him a little less than market value which around 4.5.

Z and Milstein probably thinks some team will overpay him and hoping to hit the lottery with a 6m+ offer. 

Once they get a few 5.25 and 5.5 offers on July 1st, they'll need to think whether it's worth leaving or come back to the canucks asking for more term. 

If a team is foolish enough to pay 6m with term, they'll leave. 

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

My guess is PA gave final offer on Z and the numbers are are far apart. PA must have done the responsible thing and offered him a little less than market value which around 4.5.

Z and Milstein probably thinks some team will overpay him and hoping to hit the lottery with a 6m+ offer. 

Once they get a few 5.25 and 5.5 offers on July 1st, they'll need to think whether it's worth leaving or come back to the canucks asking for more term. 

I don't think they'll get the chance 

The Canucks can't afford to wait around for him to decide whether he likes UFA offers best, they'll be making their offers elsewhere 

Can't afford to sit around and wait on July 1st

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

There was a reason flames let him go. 

1 minute ago, Nucker67 said:

Mac is just trying to get "likes" by the fan base. He knows how much Canucks fans want Zad back.

Zadorov wants big money though, maybe to help pay for all of those expensive suits and his lavish lifestyle. 

I appreciate JR/PA's restraint and discipline. The biggest need is still a winger for Petey. 

I still think the biggest need Is defense but they probably see the other really good options available like Marino, Tanev, Dillon all available for much cheaper and with less term. 

Well see Willander sooner than later and they can't be handcuffed to many long term contracts on D. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

If he ends up in LA, we'll likely regret it on a regular basis....

Perhaps. But it wasn't like I noticed him when he was a flame or Avs.  He's a good fit with Nux. 

• Cheers 1

Biggest need is defense. The team needs to add two NHLers on defense.

A scoring winger and a bigger body for the 4th line.

4m - Daniel Sprong, RW for Pettersson 

1.65m - Brandon Duhaime, RW 4th line

3.5m - Brenden Dilon, LD

2.75m - Dmitry Kulikov, RD

If management truly was balls deep on the Guentzel rumours and willing to grossly overpay a declining forward Several million dollars per year more than his worth, but refused to pay a guy who solidified our blueline as one of the strongest bluelines in the league a million more than they are comfortable “overpaying” then I really question where their head is at. They’ve made some great signings no doubt. But Zadorov is not nearly as easy to replace as the guys they signed.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think they'll get the chance 

The Canucks can't afford to wait around for him to decide whether he likes UFA offers best, they'll be making their offers elsewhere 

Can't afford to sit around and wait on July 1st

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

There was a reason flames let him go. 

Yeah this sucks. 

We lose size and truculence but we might end up with a more complete D corps if Z leaves. 

I just loved his attitude and intimidation he brought. The entire team played bigger because of him and I really hope they don't play like pansies next year. 

At the same time, while he laid some big hits and backed it up with his toughness, one thing I noticed is that oilers continued to take cheap shots at our guys. No matter who we have, it looks like that won't go away in the playoffs. 

I just hope that our guys got a taste of how much toughness is required to survive in the playoffs and set a new bar for themselves

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No kidding.

Its a strikeout to give too much money and term to a guy that’s not gonna be a regular top 4?

Love his size and character but you can’t be overpaying for that.

We're now at a responsible place where fans wanted to be during those years we sucked and overpaid guys. Mac is now advocating we be irresponsible. Lol 

Please! 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

We aren’t talking astronomical numbers.. we’re talking an overpayment of 1mil at the very most…. Everyone here is salivating over signing a guy like Jake Guentzel who is going to be grossly overpaid and on a 6+ year deal????

Fans can’t have it both ways. If I had to overpay anyone it would be a dman for certain and a guy with something you can teach… SIZE. Size is certainly worth paying for when they know how to use it.

One year of “overpaying” is offset the moment the cap rises.
Almost every single UFA is overpaid. Zadorov at least has age on his side, size you can’t teach and dmen age better than forwards. This was a big miss by management.  

Except 9 mil isn’t an overpay for a legit 35-40 goal scoring winger. He’s a legit first line player.

Paying a guy 5+ who in all likelihood would be on the bottom pair doesn’t make sense.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Sad Zadorov didn't want to take fair market to stay but happy PA stuck to his guns.  Let's go get a legit top 4 D instead.

Yup. 

This is a good message to the team and the league. 

All the guys staying are guys that had team first attitudes and signed market or lower. 

They know Z was loved by the fans but management drew a hard line and stayed disciplined. 

This will help future negotiations. 

Other players and agents prob took notice. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Same here. I'm a huge Zad fan but he was financially reasonable when we got him. Everyone else was coming more reasonable. He's the odd man out unfortunately. 

Mac looks like a fool on that comment. 

Dam that really sucks in losing Big Z. I wonder what our offer was? 

Those are some big shoes to fill in size, toughness, good skater, and skills for a huge 6.6 250lb defensemen. As a Canuck fan, very disappointed and upset that we couldn't get it done as we create more cap space after the M trade. We better not sign Guenz and hand him over $11M contract!!