[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

To early to say. 

If we sign Dillon for example, the size and whatnot are replaced. Just because Zadorov is moving on doesn't necessarily mean management won't find guys who bring some of the elements he brought to the lineup. 

It's not unreasonable to believe that we could have a more complete defense featuring some of those elements. 

And yeah, that's playoffs, each series is a war and no single player can police the ice at all times. Fortunately the guys have some experience now, and management has plenty of experience in regards to the playoffs too. 

I understand that folks are upset about Zadorov walking but it really ain't the end of the world.

Yup well said. 

If Z leaves, I think we'll see a much more complete starting 6 on defense. 

Z can't carry a pairing on his own and anything above 5 is too much for a 4-6 D. 

I just loved his hits and how he kept the opposition's heads up at all times. We've never had a player like that since ohlund and Z is bigger and more mobile and can even fight. 

Let's hope a team signs him for to 6m and then we trade D Petterson and a 4th rounder to them with 2m retained lol i wouldn't mind Z for 4m

Nobody knows the numbers for Zadorov .

… but thinking 2 declining assets in Tanev 34yrs , injury prone and Myers 34 years , are a step forward for our D core and future for the Canucks  is ridiculous.

Good luck with that.

Party Sparkle GIF by Cassie Dasilva

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We're now at a responsible place where fans wanted to be during those years we sucked and overpaid guys. Mac is now advocating we be irresponsible. Lol 

Please! 

Pretty much.

Depth is the reason why we had success last season. Overpaying by even a mil doesn’t seem like a lot but every bit adds up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Except 9 mil isn’t an overpay for a legit 35-40 goal scoring winger. He’s a legit first line player.

Paying a guy 5+ who in all likelihood would be on the bottom pair doesn’t make sense.

$9M would be stupid to pay a player that is in the league for 9yrs and hit 40 goals 2x's and once for 36 goals. If you pay him $9M then what is JT and Boeser's worth? I wouldn't pay Guentzel more than $7.5M max. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

… but thinking 2 declining assets in Tanev 34yrs , injury prone and Myers 34 years , are a step forward for our D core and future for the Canucks  is ridiculous.

Good luck with that.

It would suck if we offer Big Z 5.25M and he wants 5.75M and we lose him with the difference of only $500K. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

To me this says they have a very specific number earmarked for a winger that they weren’t going to go past.

The number 1 priority is a winger for Petey. Can’t lose sight of that.

Third pairing D-man or... guy who scores goals on the first or second.

An easy choice to make.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Good luck with that.

We already have Myers. My guess is that if we don't sign Z, we'll get 2 good players on D instead of 1.

That way we we can continue to use Juulsen on 7D. 

Had we signed Z for more than 4.5m, he would have had to carry Juulsen on the 3rd pairing. 

If that were to happen, same ppl that wanted him even as an overpayment would be the first to complain about him not worth his value and run him out of town. 

That 3rd pairing would get lit up

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

They don't really have any trade assets though, not without creating deficiencies somewhere else 

Depends what they deem necessary to build a winner. Guys that I "could" see them making a decision to flip as part of organizational reorganization and prioritizing position:

Garland, Boeser & Demko

I'm not saying that we will and I'm not advocating to move any of those 3, but depending on who we believe that we can pickup in the Free Agency or guys who may be available through trade, I would say there's an argument to be made.

The reason I say this is, we had holes as a team going into the playoffs, we weren't transitioning the puck fast enough, we made it past Nashville, but I have a lot of trouble saying with a straight face that we were the better team. We were opportunistic, but we had way too many problems with them than we should have IMO. We had trouble fighting to get to prime scoring positions and getting pucks to the net consistently.

Garland's value may never be higher after last season and if we want to get bigger up front, 4.95 million is a lot tied up on the 3rd line.

Boeser is also coming off a really strong year, is due for a raise and if there was a possibility to move him out for better defensive help and then go hard on signing Guentzel and maybe one other top 6, I could see that as something they might consider.

Demko, I really don't think he's going anywhere, but they could be questioning his overall durability and after the performance of Silovs and with Clark teaching and mentoring him, there's an argument to think that they sign a strong backup in the 2 million range to help bridge the gap and grab the overall assets that they could get for him and sell high. 

I can't see us moving out anyone at the lower end, Podkolzin, Aman, Hoglander etc, unless it's to make room for someone else coming back on trade. These guys are too valuable based on their contracts. We need guys at this pay scale to fill in the holes. 

Allvin clearly wasn't happy with not getting past Edmonton, I can't see him and JR just picking up a couple of UFA's, flipping out Mikheyev and then standing with last years lineup minus Zadorov. I think it's going to be an interesting weekend and free agency and we should expect really unexpected moves to come out of the woodwork without warning.

I think part of the reason that we don't hear much before trades is that JR / Allvin move through discussions and into final trade faster than most. They don't doddle on this stuff, they make a decision and live with it.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

$9M would be stupid to pay a player that is in the league for 9yrs and hit 40 goals 2x's and once for 36 goals. If you pay him $9M then what is JT and Boeser's worth? I wouldn't pay Guentzel more than $7.5M max. 

Top 10 scoring left winger in the league since he entered it.

Only scored 40 twice. 🤣

Boeser just scored 40 last season and I guarantee he’ll be getting way more than 7.5 on his next deal.

Edited by DeNiro

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

I think if we signed Petterson this summer, we prob could have got him for 10-10.5

Hes really the only overpayment on this team

exactly,

Pettersson paid too much too soon.  Would have take a discount after this season ,  instead got max.

"I can't overpay one single player and Nikita Zadorov was extremely good for us in the playoffs and a character guy," says Patrik Allvin. 

"We did our best and he decided that he wanted to go somewhere else." 

GM Alvin

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Except 9 mil isn’t an overpay for a legit 35-40 goal scoring winger. He’s a legit first line player.

Paying a guy 5+ who in all likelihood would be on the bottom pair doesn’t make sense.

Don't forget Brock's contract is up after next season. Management has to look at the big picture overall. Maybe he gets 9 too

28 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Things to remember as we head into the draft and free agency;

Rutherford has averaged about 1 trade per month in his time in NHL management. He likes to shuffle the deck, expect him to do that over the next few days and make moves that we don't expect or see coming.

I'm still expecting an "unexpected" Garland hockey trade. I guess it would be more unexpected now after Dak re-signing.

He's a very good but very expensive 3rd liner on this team. He was signed with the expectation of being in the top 6 but hasn't gelled with anyone he's played with but then also been the play driver for a really excellent 3rd line. 

I'd like some more size and PK ability in the bottom six while also adding skill to the top 6. Garland isn't a solution for either those things but he would carry value in a trade and especially after the season he had. Could be a good time to cash in and be able to facilitate other moves.