[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

6 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

Thats the reason why you will never be an successfull NHL GM

I guess you are a Benning fan here!!! Look at what happened to him as a GM!!! 

• Haha 1

Listening to Allvin, and reading between the lines, sure sounds like the coaching staff really wanted Myers back. Not saying they didn’t want Big Z as well, but sure sounds like they love what Myers does in the current defensive system. I did get the impression that Zadorov was a bit of a freestyler out there sometimes, which is not exactly what Tocchet prefers.

I sure hope we sign some gems in free agency.

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

To early to say. 

If we sign Dillon for example, the size and whatnot are replaced. Just because Zadorov is moving on doesn't necessarily mean management won't find guys who bring some of the elements he brought to the lineup. 

It's not unreasonable to believe that we could have a more complete defense featuring some of those elements. 

And yeah, that's playoffs, each series is a war and no single player can police the ice at all times. Fortunately the guys have some experience now, and management has plenty of experience in regards to the playoffs too. 

I understand that folks are upset about Zadorov walking but it really ain't the end of the world.

I agree but do we think Dillon really comes in that much cheaper than Zadorov? I'm still hoping both parties circle back, and if the price for Dillon is comparable then I hope the Canucks pay that to Zadorov.

Ryan Suter on a 1 year deal is a decent plan C imo.

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Funny how all of a sudden Zadorov is a bottom pairing defencemen 

He's been playing for us above bottom pairing. I hate to lose him, but I also get that this is a business with a cap and that all teams are constrained by it except Tampa and Vegas.

I also get that testing free agency doesn't rule out him not being happy with the offers out there and landing back with the Canucks.

As I indicated in my past a few min ago, I think the Canucks are a long way from being done this summer. I think there will be more changes.

I get that this is a discussion board and people are free to express opinions, but it never ceases to astound me how many people still don't trust this management team after they dragged us out of the depths of the NHL to being a team that very easily could have found themselves in the finals this year. 

Like the brainless comments that assume they can just force players to take whatever the poster thinks is reasonable would be much more expected behaviour if it wasn't for the homerun after homerun this management team have hit since they arrived. 

Sad to lose Z. May have been my favourite player this year to watch. They will find other players. This sends a message of the team we are going to be and many of our players took that message and signed for less. That is a winning mentality, not folding to players demands and paying them more than they are worth. I trust this management team to determine what that number should be over random internet posters. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When has he not been?

You think Zadorov-Juulsen is a second pair?

WOW stretching things a little are we? Do we not have Hronek and Myers on the team. Since when does Juulsen come into this equation. Is Soucy a top 4 Dman too? 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty sure we were a good team before acquiring Zadorov.

our D core was only just changing with the additions of Hroncek , Cole, Soucy .

we did not have power on our defence with Tanev or Myers before .  
Your not going to get the potential of Zadorov and HIS game without Zadorov and the chemistry he created.

And your not going to replace it with a physical plug who cant contribute more in playoff games.

If there’s a limit to LTIR , we’re probably going to max out,  and have a lot of “man day” losses.

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

Funny how all of a sudden Zadorov is a bottom pairing defencemen 

He's not a consistent bottom pairing defenceman, but he's also not a consistent top 4 defenceman.  That's where the trouble is with giving him a big cap hit. 

For $5.5M to $6.5M, you have guys like Matt Roy, Brett Pesce, and Brady Skjei likely available... guys that are consistent top 4 defencemen, and possibly even top pairing.

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

WOW stretching things a little are we? Do we not have Hronek and Myers on the team. Since when does Juulsen come into this equation. Is Soucy a top 4 Dman too? 

They’re not breaking up Hughes and Hronek. They were one of the best pairs in the league.

Soucy and Myers were playing as our top 4 most nights. They have natural chemistry.

So that would leave Zadorov with Juulsen. Would you put that pair ahead of Soucy and Myers? I wouldn’t.

Edited by DeNiro

Just now, Mac said:

I just don't get these people that want to trade Garland.

He is the reason the Canucks had the best 3rd line in the NHL.

Bizarre.

Cause somehow we are improving are team by losing players that played well for us especially in the playoffs. It’s very confusing times 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Except 9 mil isn’t an overpay for a legit 35-40 goal scoring winger. He’s a legit first line player.

Paying a guy 5+ who in all likelihood would be on the bottom pair doesn’t make sense.

Umm yea dude 9mil for a guy who has rode shotgun with Crosby his entire career... 

Can already see a drop in 5v5 goal scoring

PIT 50GP 16G = 32%

CAR 17GP 3G = 17%

Jake Guentzel is good no doubt, but his best years are behind him. He is 100% getting overpaid anywhere he signs. Its a bidding war for a reason.

Zadorov averaged more ice than

Cernak

Hedman

Skjei

Walker

Schneider

to name a few.

He averaged 3rd most TOI on our blueline during playoffs. Nearly 1 minute more than the next guy. 2min 42s more than Soucy....

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Mac said:

I just don't get these people that want to trade Garland.

He is the reason the Canucks had the best 3rd line in the NHL.

Bizarre.

Garland showed up when everyone else checked out in the playoffs. Made a push in Game 7 that started something. He's awesome. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

I guess you are a Benning fan here!!! Look at what happened to him as a GM!!! 

You mean putting together the core for the foreseeable future?

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Perhaps. But it wasn't like I noticed him when he was a flame or Avs.  He's a good fit with Nux. 

He was....

Now we'll have to hope that we don't "notice" him once again, when he plays for another team. Frankly, I think our best hope is that he goes to play in the East somewhere....

• Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

They’re not breaking up Hughes and Hronek. They were one of the best pairs on the league.

Soucy and Myers were playing as our top 4 most nights. They have natural chemistry.

So that would leave Zadorov with Juulsen. Would you put that lair ahead of Soucy and Myers? I wouldn’t.

Well doesn’t matter now. He’s gone and is no good to us now. But if you look back the conversations are much different then they are now 

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Cause somehow we are improving are team by losing players that played well for us especially in the playoffs. It’s very confusing times 

In fairness, we probably look worse on paper right now because we have $14.5M in cap space that hasn't been spent yet...

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When has he not been?

You think Zadorov-Juulsen is a second pair?

He's not a top four regular. People's emotions created that illusion. Understandable, though, after his playoff performance.

Wish we could have kept him and he could have agreed to the deal. He would have gotten an increase and stability. His choice.

• Upvote 1

Just now, HKSR said:

In fairness, we probably look worse on paper right now because we have $14.5M in cap space that hasn't been spent yet...

True. Still more cards to fall, but UFA is where teams fall down every year. I mean we just traded away a UFA mistake

• Vintage 1