[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

We'll always have that glorious Zadorov-Soucy double crosscheck on McWhiner in the playoffs. One of my favourite Canucks moments ever. 

Sucks to lose Zadorov, but he's now going to his 6th NHL team. Can't get attached to this guy. Fun personality like Kuzmenko, but the Canucks were able to move on from him too, and for the better.

JR/PA busy building an even better team next season. They're awesome, I have no concerns. 

Edited by Nucker67
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

We already have Myers. My guess is that if we don't sign Z, we'll get 2 good players on D instead of 1.

That way we we can continue to use Juulsen on 7D. 

Had we signed Z for more than 4.5m, he would have had to carry Juulsen on the 3rd pairing. 

If that were to happen, same ppl that wanted him even as an overpayment would be the first to complain about him not worth his value and run him out of town. 

That 3rd pairing would get lit up

I do not see it that way.

After this Alvin presser , it seems Guentzel will stay in Carolina.

Guentzel was a target .

If they’ve lost Zadorov because of that target , they’ve insulted him and anything he’s offered is gone.

• Vintage 1

Zadorov’s year end presser was telling. Said he has another gear and thinks he can hit it consistently. He has been a very good 4-6 dman for awhile but believes in himself for more. It’s not unfair - I believe he has it too. It’s just too bad we couldn’t make the money work.

Will be very interested to see what he gets. I suspect it will be a Gardiner type deal of $5.5-$5.75 at 5 years. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I'm still expecting an "unexpected" Garland hockey trade. I guess it would be more unexpected now after Dak re-signing.

He's a very good but very expensive 3rd liner on this team. He was signed with the expectation of being in the top 6 but hasn't gelled with anyone he's played with but then also been the play driver for a really excellent 3rd line. 

I'd like some more size and PK ability in the bottom six while also adding skill to the top 6. Garland isn't a solution for either those things but he would carry value in a trade and especially after the season he had. Could be a good time to cash in and be able to facilitate other moves. 

Yup, this exactly. Joshua worked well with a lot of guys and I would even argue that he made anyone he was playing with better. He's good at details.

I just really can't see this management team doing nothing more than going into the free agency pool, its not JR's reputation, he's gone hard after the guys he wants on trade for too many years for him to be telling Allvin to just sit back. I think they will shake it up more than we're expecting.

I can see Garland being moved this summer. It just feels like he's the odd man out on our cap balance.

As much as I have trouble thinking that Demko could be moved, Silovs has only played about 20 less games than Demko had played when Canucks decided to go with him as their starter. I think a lot will come down to whether Clark thinks Silovs is ready to play 50 games next season. The idea that they are looking at bringing back DeSmith is part of what's making me think this. DeSmith is going to want 1.5 - 2 million and that really doesn't work for us next season for a backup of Demko is the starter. 7 million is more than they will want to tie up.

Silovs at 1 million, DeSmith, 2 years at 1.25 - 1.5 million creates another 4.5....ish million to dip into the free agency pool and really build depth throughout the lineup. Combined with moving Garland, it would allow us to really roll 3 lines next year and have a 4th line running about 10 - 11 minutes per night. This would ultimately reduce the workload that goaltending was dealing with this year just due to the puck spending less time in our zone.

• Cheers 1

Just now, GrammaInTheTub said:

Zadorov’s year end presser was telling. Said he has another gear and thinks he can hit it consistently. He has been a very good 4-6 dman for awhile but believes in himself for more. It’s not unfair - I believe he has it too. It’s just too bad we couldn’t make the money work.

Will be very interested to see what he gets. I suspect it will be a Gardiner type deal of $5.5-$5.75 at 5 years. 

Agreed. Hes a big man it was all coming together for him, I agree on another gear. Unfortunately that will be for another team 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

True. Still more cards to fall, but UFA is where teams fall down every year. I mean we just traded away a UFA mistake

These pro scouts seem to be much better though... Blueger, Soucy, and Suter all came via UFA with very fair contracts and cap hits. 

I'm just preaching the "be patient" mantra.  Until the dust settles, we don't know what we have.

• Cheers 1

Myers Soucy pairing is a solid pairing and we know that works. That's a 6.25m pairing which can either be the best 3rd pairing in the league or an adequate 2nd pairing. 

We also know Hughes and Hronek works.  That is our bonafide top pairing. 

That leaves Z who we really like but at 5m+, who would he play with? 

It's a tricky puzzle and the amount he commands would mean very little money left to sign our remaining D to fill out our starting D roster. 

Like let's think about this... 

Hronek signed for 7.5m

Z is looking for 5.5+

Z is basically a more physical version of Myers (the way he thinks and reads plays) and Myers signed for 3m

4.5 is the max he should really get. 

• Like 1

Just now, HKSR said:

These pro scouts seem to be much better though... Blueger, Soucy, and Suter all came via UFA with very fair contracts and cap hits. 

I'm just preaching the "be patient" mantra.  Until the dust settles, we don't know what we have.

I hear ya. Those have been great signings but ya we’ll see. Disappointed so far 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

We'll always have that glorious Zadorov-Soucy double crosscheck on McWhiner in the playoffs. One of my favourite Canucks moments ever. 

Sucks to lose Zadorov, but he's now going to his 6th NHL team. Can't get attached to this guy. Fun personality like Kuzmenko, but the Canucks were able to move on from him too, and for the better.

JR/PA busy building an even better team next season. They're awesome, I have no concerns. 

Yup... Zadorov's 6th NHL team in 11 years.  If he was that irreplaceable, I question why he's played on that many teams in that period of time.

• Cheers 3

Definitely a bummer, he was so likeable and just a monster in the playoffs... big of a unicorn type D man. But if this is them sticking to their guns and not overpaying on a crazy term, then it is what it is... 

• Cheers 3

So has anything been released showing what zadorov expects?this is a big loss to van and if it’s over $500k that’s inexcusable. Finally , fucken finally have some presence on our back end that’s makes other teams concerned. I guess time will show where and why this resigning went wrong.

Edited by dannydog

38 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Just remember, neither Florida or Edmonton had any intimidating players in their lineups.  They did fine.

No they just cheap-shotted, and got favourable calls. The injuries, and wear and tear caught up with the Canucks.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I do not see it that way.

After this Alvin presser , it seems Guentzel will stay in Carolina.

Guentzel was a target .

If they’ve lost Zadorov because of that target , they’ve insulted him and anything he’s offered is gone.

Why, we have more than enough cap room to sign both? 

14.5 should be enough to sign Z and JG unless one of them wants more than their worth 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Why, we have more than enough cap room to sign both? 

14.5 should be enough to sign Z and JG unless one of them wants more than their worth 

I think that the fact we aren't signing Z kind of answers that question. If he wasn't asking for more than our management think he is worth, we would be signing him. 

Zadorov doesn't have a track record of being a top 4D on teams with a strong defense, the numbers don't bear that out. 

His ice time throughout his tenure in Calgary, who had a superior D at the time, indicated he was a 5. 

21-22, Zadorov ranked 6th in ATOI for Calgary D regulars behind Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev, Kylington, and Gudbranson. Averaged 16:55. Stone actually averaged more time on ice than Zadorov did too with 17:27, but he only played 11 games. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CGY/2022.html

22-23, he ranked 5th behind Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev, and Weegar. Averaged 18:41.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CGY/2023.html

Even this past season he ranked 5th in ATOI for Calgary D regulars behind Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev, and Weegar. Averaged 18:24. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CGY/

Zadorov topped out as having the 3rd highest ATOI amongst D regulars on a lousy Blackhawks team behind Keith and Murphy. Averaged 19:12.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CHI/2021.html

Go back to 19-20 with the Avs and he ranked 5th in ATOI amongst D regulars behind Girard, Johnson, Makar, and Graves. And even then, he only beat out the 6th ranked guy in coal by 4 seconds. Zadorov averaged 17:46 while Cole averaged 17:42. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/COL/2020.html

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2