[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How do you know that they didn't talk with the agents before the trades?

You realize up until the playoffs we'd probably gotten Lindholm and Zads at an affordable price.

Both had good to very good playoffs. Both players looked like they thrive in the playoffs.

Other GM's saw this. Centres and Defence will always be in demand.

I don't think PA predicted that Boston, and Toronto among other teams would be pushing the prices up.

It's easy to say after the fact.

Exactly. Well said. Allvin did exactly what he should have and he was stellar and proactive as the busiest GN. Helluva year as GM.

That playoff run was necessary and invaluable in so many ways for players, the organization, and fans. The cost of what we gave up was turning this franchise around, getting a taste of what it takes, raising standards, preparation, and knocking open our window.

Missing the playoffs last year was not an option. Lindholm and Zad were integral parts of that. 

But Lindholm and Zad were only going to be here longer if it made sense financially and more team friendly. That was always known. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

And that's already an overpay.  If he signs close to 5.5-6, that team can have him.  If he signs for say, 5.25 with someone else, then he never wanted to be here.

Exactly.

16 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You realize up until the playoffs we'd probably gotten Lindholm and Zads at an affordable price.

Both had good to very good playoffs. Both players looked like they thrive in the playoffs.

I don't think PA predicted that Boston, and Toronto among other teams would be pushing the prices up.

Are you trying to tell me a finalist for GM of the year could not foresee prices (historically and continually) rising for UFAs every offseason. Was this one going to be an anomaly where prices remained stagnant, despite the previous knowledge that the cap may and now has increased? 

sorry I don’t buy that.

like I said, unless this ends up with us finding the right piece for EP I think it will be representative of a miscalculation…unless of course this was by design to begin with.

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I was responding to Junkyard as he said we were prioritizing a top six forward instead of solidifying our Dcore. I said we need our solid defense first before a scoring winger for Petey.

Ahh gotcha.

Pens had Letang, Schultz, and Daly. All smaller D men as well.

Expect this management will build a similar D core. With a couple high end guys but then filled with lower cost value contracts.

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

So is Kuz a legit top 6 or not? 25 points in 29 games seems like he is. Contrary to what you are saying.

He wasn’t a fit on this team and how the team was playing, the systems implemented. He wasn’t a fit with the coaching staff. You can be a significant of a puzzle but he wasn’t a fit with the puzzle we were trying to build. 

Back when we had Boudreau he was but that wasn’t winning hockey. 

Now that he is away from his the team is playing, away from the coaches and the systems implemented he is playing good but on a team that wasn’t playing winning hockey. 

Maybe there’s a team out there that exists that plays winning hockey that he would fit. It wasn’t with us that is for certain. 

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

After battle all generals are smart.You will never make them happy.When they come to the point been better then professionals,you know madness took off fast and deep.

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And how exactly do you know this?  Were you in the negotiating room?  

From media reports, we offered Zadorov $5 million. You think his market value is higher than that?  Apparently he wants $6 million. You gonna pay him $6 million?  

We offered Lindholm $7 million. You want to pay him more?  Apparently he wants $8 million. 

Regardless of what we paid in those trades to acquire those players, it makes no sense to overpay on certain players and not on others. Every dollar counts now with the OEL buyout. 

again, overpayment is a term used that fits our own designated cap structure and positioning.

overpayment isn’t what you pay for a player who is free of encumbrances.

it’s market value…Free to negotiate with anyone and goes to highest bidder. That dictates value. So if he is contracted for 6, then that becomes a fair and accurate representation of the level of demand for his services. 

that makes sense, no?

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Are you trying to tell me a finalist for GM of the year could not foresee prices (historically and continually) rising for UFAs every offseason. Was this one going to be an anomaly where prices remained stagnant, despite the previous knowledge that the cap may and now has increased? 

sorry I don’t buy that.

like I said, unless this ends up with us finding the right piece for EP I think it will be representative of a miscalculation…unless of course this was by design to begin with.

Are you telling me a GM of the year candidate blew all those picks on rentals?

Works both ways right?

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

sorry I don’t buy that.

Question for you is,why you dont have trust in our office.Cant wait few more days?????

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Are you telling me a GM of the year candidate blew all those picks on rentals?

Works both ways right?

Yes he apparently has. Like I said, either miscalculation as to what it would cost us to extend, or by design to simply get the club some playoff experience. I guess we will see. 

37 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Overpaying is not fair market.If i remember correctly many posters here had hard time to accept  price we paid for him.Calling him 7nt defender

Who were those people? Was a steal. I thought if we resigned Z it would make up for what we gave up for Lindholm. Would have been a nice story in my books 

5 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Question for you is,why you dont have trust in our office.Cant wait few more days?????

I do. I’m just stating an opinion.

On CDC I was among the first people to vocally support JR’s, Allvin’s and Tocchet’s hirings, despite some serious backlash, and have sung their praises ever since. Many folks here can attest to that.
Doesn’t mean you can’t critique certain events that have transpired, especially ones that involve a lot of assets outbound. It’s totally fair.

i have faith in them. I just don’t like where we are positioned right now at this moment, but am holding out hope that the plan comes to fruition. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2

Just now, RWJC said:

I do. I’m just stating an opinion.

On CDC I was among the first people to vocally support JR’s, Allvin’s and Tocchet’s hirings and have sung their praises ever since. Many folks here can attest to that.
Doesn’t mean you can’t critique certain events that have transpired, especially ones that involve a lot of assets outbound. It’s totally fair.

i have faith in them. I just don’t like where we are positioned right now at this moment, but am holding out hope that the plan comes to fruition. 

I dont say you cant critique,But you are clearly upset.You are the last person who would be so negative.Surprise me.

This is reminding me of when Tanev signed with Calgary. Signed a very fair deal that we could have done easily and If 500k more for Zadorv would have done it I mean why not? Now we'll go get Dillon or re sign Cole? Not sure getting older this quick is a long term recipe for success.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

A lot picks gone for a team that may have made the playoffs either way. I don't think Lindholm got us into the playoffs, he played well against Nash. And Zadorov got going beautifully in both rounds. He was the keeper he always was. I'd rather have traded for Toffoli and resigned him than Lindholm and would have been cheaper. Big mistake hope they give him one more offer dig deep. He's right there with Miller, Hughes and Garland with dragging people into battle. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

This is reminding me of when Tanev signed with Calgary. Signed a very fair deal that we could have done easily and If 500k more for Zadorv would have done it I mean why not? Now we'll go get Dillon or re sign Cole? Not sure getting older this quick is a long term recipe for success.

I don’t think Dillion will come cheap either probably gets 4 million at least 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

I dont say you cant critique,But you are clearly upset.You are the last person who would be so negative.Surprise me.

I’m curious as to how this comes together. Lots of smoke and mirrors, next couple days will reveal a lot. 
the only thing I’m really negative about is that the quality of what’s available has already diminished and we have created a couple large holes on our roster and in our asset pool that could end up being patch work fixes with more expensive stop gap options. All that cap ear marked for an EP winger is hopefully paid into the right player, and not a secondary option because we missed out on a primary. I really don’t want us locking up a secondary or tertiary option because we’ve already traded the majority of our viable asset pool and can ill afford to trade off our roster now to acquire respective pieces.

Fair and valid concern, no?

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 1

Zadorov was making $3.75 million on this contract. If say, the Canucks offered $5 million, and he said no. Then there is the door. Thank you for the monster playoffs you had, but more than $5 million for a waffling between 2nd and 3rd pairing defenceman, I'm sorry no.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Zadorov was making $3.75 million on this contract. If say, the Canucks offered $5 million, and he said no. Then there is the door. Thank you for the monster playoffs you had, but more than $5 million for a waffling between 2nd and 3rd pairing defenceman, I'm sorry no.

Definitely be interesting to see how this unfolds. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Do “waffling between 2nd and 3rd defensemen” normally have monster playoffs? 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Lemon Face said:

My merit is that i know how much money we have at hand.Canucks first,players second.Of course you have rights on your opinion.I am not here to fight.You better take care of that tiling.Your wife might be more upset then you.I will wait few more days to be able to tell you,i told you so.maybe you should call Zadorov to help you.ha ha

Wrong again .

Not Married .

im increasing the value of my apartment renovating it with my hands and tools ..

because I can . 

Why would I be upset when my 250k apartment has increased to 750-800k in 15 years ?  

So understand this , I know a APPRECIATING ASSET when I see one ,.   Now I’m Capitalizing on it WHILE I HAVE IT ,

because you lose that leverage WHEN YOU LET IT GO.

..and if I did let it go, I’d have to PAY MORE TO GET IT BACK,  Or RISK DOWNSIZING TO SOMETHING THAT IS NOT OF THE SAME QUALITY.

…. now hopefully that registers with you.

and you’ve learned something about Zadorov’s VALUE .

and now that Guentzel seems to be going to Tampa ( speculated / rumour 10m and an 8 or 9 year Water Slide Pass at Disney World) , you’ve got something up your sleeve you want to “tell me “ in a few days ??    
hahahahahaha   .. and you’ve said nothing about anything except try to knock my opinion that we signed EP too early , and Myers too soon.

yes, I question management on those 2 moves. 
How many Goldfish do you own ?

Do you get out much ??

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

• Haha 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Do “waffling between 2nd and 3rd defensemen” normally have monster playoffs? 

It doesn’t solidify you as a top 4.

No one is arguing he can’t fill the role of a top 4. The knock on him has always been consistency throughout his career. Reason why he was a healthy scratch for us at one point.

• Cheers 1