[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

It’s interesting the dichotomy of Zadorov being a playoff monster, who was one of a few players who took their play to another level across the board this last postseason, all the while being really nothing more than a 5-6 defenseman, who should be lucky to get $5M on the open market. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

It’s interesting the dichotomy of Zadorov being a playoff monster, who was one of a few players who took their play to another level across the board this last postseason, all the while being really nothing more than a 5-6 defenseman, who should be lucky to get $5M on the open market. 

Most people don’t evaluate players based on a 13 game sample that’s what you seem to be confused with.

His regular season has to be factored in. Which most nights he played like a solid number 5. Nothing wrong with that that’s what his game is suited for. You don’t pay those players more than 5 mil plain and simple.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

No, no he is not and RT obviously doesn't think so either

.. and you thought Bo was better than JT .. Right?

Sorry Stawnzy , Zadorov is Bigger Stronger Faster ..  than Myers .

and now he MIGHT become .. man dollar GIF

Lol 

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He wasn’t a fit on this team and how the team was playing, the systems implemented. He wasn’t a fit with the coaching staff. You can be a significant of a puzzle but he wasn’t a fit with the puzzle we were trying to build. 

Back when we had Boudreau he was but that wasn’t winning hockey. 

Now that he is away from his the team is playing, away from the coaches and the systems implemented he is playing good but on a team that wasn’t playing winning hockey. 

Maybe there’s a team out there that exists that plays winning hockey that he would fit. It wasn’t with us that is for certain. 

The point being that Petey had legit top 6 forwards to play with. Lindholm was another that should have worked out but again we are getting rid of him too, apparently.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It doesn’t solidify you as a top 4.

That would be salary. 

No one is arguing he can’t fill the role of a top 4.

There’s plenty of that going on here. 😆

The knock on him has always been consistency throughout his career.

He looked very consistent to me here. Amazing what a Jack Adams winning coach can do to get the best out of a player. It’s almost like the got him to truly tap into his potential here. 

Reason why he was a healthy scratch for us at one point.

They were sitting defensemen before the playoffs to rest them. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Literally no on is saying he’s a bad player to have or bad playoff performer, his consistency and ability to be a full time or even part time top 4 dman for $5mill isn’t without risk especially with term. 

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

The point being that Petey had legit top 6 forwards to play with. Lindholm was another that should have worked out but again we are getting rid of him too, apparently.

Can’t get rid of someone who is leaving willingly… 

• ThereItIs 1

That would be salary. 

There’s plenty of that going on here. 😆

He looked very consistent to me here. Amazing what a Jack Adams winning coach can do to get the best out of a player. It’s almost like the got him to truly tap into his potential here. 

They were sitting defensemen before the playoffs to rest them. 

Yes a 5 mil salary would say he’s a top 4 correct. He is not.

Theres a difference between filling a role and being a top 4, that’s where you’re confused. 😉

You’re willing to hand out a 5-6 year 30 million dollar contract based on 13 games where he looked good?

He was a good D man for us at 4 mil. At closer to 6 then no thank you. That’s an overpayment. You can get proven top 4 for that price.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It doesn’t solidify you as a top 4.

No one is arguing he can’t fill the role of a top 4. The knock on him has always been consistency throughout his career. Reason why he was a healthy scratch for us at one point.

you sir are back peddling ,.  You have debated this year that there was no way Zadorov could be or fill a top 4 .

I have even debated that with you myself .

If this player has been inconsistent in his career that has more to do with how big men get less opportunities to step up and show it at that position.

He has openly spoken about that , and being know only as a “role player” because of his size and the way a team may be coaching or using a system.

He has been held back.

He came to life here.

6 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

We aren't getting rid of Lindholm, we just aren't willing to pay $8m+ for a 40 point player, which I 100% agree with. I also agree not paying more than $5m for a d-man who has been a #5 who can sometimes fills in as a #4 through his whole career.

• Cheers 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

you sir are back peddling ,.  You have debated this year that there was no way Zadorov could be or fill a top 4 .

If this player has been inconsistent in his career that has more to do with how big men get less opportunities to step up and show it at that position.

He has openly spoken about that , and being know only as a “role player” because of his size and the way a team may be coaching or using a system.

He has been held back.

He came to life here.

No im not backpedaling.

Theres a difference between playing a role once and awhile and playing it all season like Hughes or Hronek. That should be obvious.

He has not shown the consistency that he can play 18-20 minutes a night and command that kind of salary.

He hasn’t been held back, many teams have seen the same thing that this management is seeing. Good solid player but in a bottom pair role. 

Thjs is the exact same thing other fans have said. He looks amazing for short stretches but then reverts back to a D man that doesn’t belong in the top 4. Inconsistent like Myers.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Most people don’t evaluate players based on a 13 game sample that’s what you seem to be confused with.

Not confused at all. Never made that assertion. Nice try though. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

His regular season has to be factored in. Which most nights he played like a solid number 5. Nothing wrong with that that’s what his game is suited for. You don’t pay those players more than 5 mil plain and simple.

I think the coaching staff knew that they could get more out of Zadorov based on how he rose to the occasion numerous times. As well, Zadorov’s game was night and day from when he was in Calgary. He showed far more offence potential and defensive acumen in Tocchet’s systems. He played better than a solid 5. Outside of Hughes, Hronek (who disappeared when the team needed him) and Myers, Zadorov made the biggest impact. 

That was evident throughout the regular season as much as the playoffs. 

It is what it is, Bobby. 

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He has been held back.

He came to life here.

Lol so coaches just hold a guy back because he is big and physical? Sorry, that's not correct at all.

If Zadorov showed he had the game to be a consistent top 4 d-man, he would have been throughout his career. Of course he's going to talk himself up, he's got a ton of confidence and isn't going to admit he's "only" a #5 d-man.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Wrong again .

Not Married .

im increasing the value of my apartment renovating it with my hands and tools ..

because I can . 

Why would I be upset when my 250k apartment has increased to 750-800k in 15 years ?  

So understand this , I know a APPRECIATING ASSET when I see one ,.   Now I’m Capitalizing on it WHILE I HAVE IT ,

because you lose that leverage WHEN YOU LET IT GO.

..and if I did let it go, I’d have to PAY MORE TO GET IT BACK,  Or RISK DOWNSIZING TO SOMETHING THAT IS NOT OF THE SAME QUALITY.

…. now hopefully that registers with you.

and you’ve learned something about Zadorov’s VALUE .

and now that Guentzel seems to be going to Tampa ( speculated / rumour 10m and an 8 or 9 year Water Slide Pass at Disney World) , you’ve got something up your sleeve you want to “tell me “ in a few days ??    
hahahahahaha   .. and you’ve said nothing about anything except try to knock my opinion that we signed EP too early , and Myers too soon.

yes, I question management on those 2 moves. 
How many Goldfish do you own ?

Do you get out much ??

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

I do have aquarium reef,and i do bike 30 km every day.So i do go outside.Oh i have house too.No mortgage.So big post ,no substance.Tell me again how smart you are,and what you have that other people dont?Blessed are dumb people,whole life spend in happiness.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Theres a difference between filling a role and being a top 4, that’s where you’re confused. 😉

You’re willing to hand out a 5-6 year 30 million dollar contract based on 13 games where he looked good?

He was a good D man for us at 4 mil. At closer to 6 then no thank you. That’s an overpayment. You can get proven top 4 for that price.

.. and 8 points in 13 playoff games on the last pairing “filling a role” ??

200.gif

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think the coaching staff knew that they could get more out of Zadorov based on how he rose to the occasion numerous times. As well, Zadorov’s game was night and day from when he was in Calgary. He showed far more offence potential and defensive acumen in Tocchet’s systems. He played better than a solid 5. Outside of Hughes, Hronek (who disappeared when the team needed him) and Myers, Zadorov made the biggest impact. 

It is what it is, Bobby. 

He’s just not a reliable top 4 option full time he’s a great 5/6 guy. No one is saying we don’t need him, there’s just a threshold were he fits cost wise.

It is what it is, Bobby. 

Recency bias. 😉

1 minute ago, greenbean30 said:

Lol so coaches just hold a guy back because he is big and physical? Sorry, that's not correct at all.

If Zadorov showed he had the game to be a consistent top 4 d-man, he would have been throughout his career. Of course he's going to talk himself up, he's got a ton of confidence and isn't going to admit he's "only" a #5 d-man.

Warning.Guy is in fighting mood.You cant reason with that kind of people.

Just now, SilentSam said:

200.gif

Here's the main point, it was 13 games. Every single player has the ability to get hot for a short period of time, Jeff fucking Cowan scored 6 goals in 4 games and had a bra tossed on the ice.

You do not pay players because of a short stint of hot play. Zads over 5 mill is too much money for what he has shown throughout his career.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

200.gif

Jason King was an elite prospect for 20 games once. 

13 games is too small of a sample size to bend over for a 5th dman especially when the rest of the season shows there are some warts to his game too. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Devron said:

Definitely be interesting to see how this unfolds. 

SOMEBODY is going to give him $6 million. I just don't think it'll be the Canucks. If they do, it'll scream panic move at this point.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So they were offering him 5 million to be a 5/6 defenseman........and........we are paying Soucy 3 million to be in the top 4? I believe we were playing Soucy,Myers,Zadorov around the same amount of minutes, No?

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Do “waffling between 2nd and 3rd defensemen” normally have monster playoffs? 

Hey, crazy shit happens. But the way I look at it, being a former 16th overall pick, and largely being a high 3rd pairing, low 2nd end pairing defenceman, and wanting more than 5 million a year. That's a no go in my books. If he was a strong 2nd pairing guy, and pushing for the spot Hughes has, I would be down for a 5.5 per year deal.

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

So they were offering him 5 million to be a 5/6 defenseman........and........we are paying Soucy 3 million to be in the top 4? I believe we were playing Soucy,Myers,Zadorov around the same amount of minutes, No?

Soucy is more of a shutdown guy that doesn’t put up a tonne of points Zadorov is better offensively while not as strong defensively and offense gets you a pay bump. Soucy was still deployed as a 4/5 option and Zadorov as a 6 no matter how much you move the goal posts. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

SOMEBODY is going to give him $6 million. I just don't think it'll be the Canucks. If they do, it'll scream panic move at this point.

I think they might end up in panic territory