[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

4 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

We have room for both at 14.5 we need 3 contracts.  I'm sort of thinking zads and then spend the Last 10 million on 2 scoring wingers...Toffoli and Stephenson maybe?  Should be a cup contender

For sure, JG is a great player but I would be more comfortable going the Big Z, Stephenson + route and hopefully having a little cap flexibility.

1 minute ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Yeah it's interesting......an elite player with EP makes all the sense in the world but they still have Hogs and Suter up on the top 6.  Maybe that's fine but I'd feel better having Suter dropped down to the fourth line personally.  So that would mean bringing in at least 2 forwards + Z.

If Hogs and Pods can both elevate their game into consistent top 6 players, then we have it made with a guy like JG.  My only beef with that is I think EP needs a power forward type player on his line that can retrieve pucks and pull the D away.  Not sure if Hogs or Pods are either of these players.

Exactly.  You can get those guys at 3 to 4 years as a stop gap and be a more rounded team.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The 650 guys said the Canes will push to sign Geuntzel and if they don’t have him signed by day two of the draft they will trade his rights. Snd we would be a club trying to get the rights. So Big Z will be on hold until day two of the draft or longer. 

Or they replace Garland with Podz trading Garland for a pick or prospect.

Resign Zad asap and get JG.

• Like 1

I'd like guentzel, but if they lose out or the bidding gets over the top ($9.5m is my absolute max I think), I could be content with a consolation prize of zadorov, toffoli, tanev, and maybe swinging a trade with anaheim for vatrano, maybe based around hoglander or podkolzin?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We can go over the cap by 10% if we have to. 

I do think it Podz can break into the lineup then someone has to go.Garland shouldn't be hard to move and at this point Podz isn't a second liner which he could be in the future.Makes sense to trade him and get cap room.

But that's a gamble.

• Like 1

Just now, cripplereh said:

I do think it Podz can break into the lineup then someone has to go.Garland shouldn't be hard to move and at this point Podz isn't a second liner which he could be in the future.Makes sense to trade him and get cap room.

But that's a gamble.

That’s the likely guy to move if we are successful with JG. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That’s the likely guy to move if we are successful with JG. 

If Allvin can pull off that 8 year deal, then Guentzel could come in somewhere in the 8s. 

If he can do that, we can keep Z too.

I'm reading mixed stuff on the 8 year thing, I thought the rules said 8 was possible only in a sign and trade now but heard on the radio if we get his rights it can be 8. Dunno.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Big Z may want too much. Maybe we are in on JG. Maybe both. 

I highly doubt he wants too much Bob.

besides ,  Myers at 34 without Zadorov in the line up gets all the heavy lifting again that he had before the arrival of Cole then Zadorov .

Those 2 players allowed Myers have less Heavy Minutes.

If JG comes here I hope it’s because he wants to come here,

and it’s NOT the highest offer available..

That is what you want on your team.

A player looking for his team.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

I highly doubt he wants too much Bob.

besides ,  Myers at 34 without Zadorov in the line up gets all the heavy lifting again that he had before the arrival of Cole then Zadorov .

Those 2 players allowed Myers have less Heavy Minutes.

If JG comes here I hope it’s because he wants to come here,

and it’s NOT the highest offer available..

That is what you want on your team.

A player looking for his team.

None of us know what his ask is. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If Allvin can pull off that 8 year deal, then Guentzel could come in somewhere in the 8s. 

If he can do that, we can keep Z too.

I'm reading mixed stuff on the 8 year thing, I thought the rules said 8 was possible only in a sign and trade now but heard on the radio if we get his rights it can be 8. Dunno.

To get the eighth year would require the Canes to sign JG and then trade him to us. I think the suggestion on the radio was we only trade for his rights. So limited to the 7 years. But with Allvin running the show he might just get the sign and trade. 
I guess if that happens the cost of the trade would be more? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To get the eighth year would require the Canes to sign JG and then trade him to us. I think the suggestion on the radio was we only trade for his rights. So limited to the 7 years. But with Allvin running the show he might just get the sign and trade. 
I guess if that happens the cost of the trade would be more? 

Yea probably, dicks.