[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

So how about a Draft Day shocker ..

Demko.  Yet to play more than 1 full season for a #1 goalie .  (60? gp hypothetically)

850C2973-FDD5-423C-B1DA-2165A5C7F439.thumb.jpeg.9dd26b6670905b81107ef42a613e74e9.jpeg

Contract at 5m for 2 more seasons.

If he resigned ,  looking for 8-9-10m?

Silovs would seem the natural successor,

moving Demko in 1 or within 2 seasons.

Would Demko bring us a High 1st round pick this year?

A chance a Demidov??

Silovs and DeSmith share 40 games?

Neither looked to badly out of place ,  the odd bad game for DeSmith .

But , an extra 5m on Cap easily Signs JG,

Zadorov,  and a top 5 pick without throwing away the entire team and adding much more.

This deals with the present and the future perfectly, and gets rid of another potential Goalie Situation in Vancouver while still having good goal tending.

Lets not forget , Demko has been hurt quite a bit.

• Like 1

Myers, Joshua, and Blueger all took less to stay, Blueger even took a pay cut, if Zadorov wants to chase the money he's likely gone imo

Management hasn't overpaid anyone yet this offseason, what a welcome change of pace

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Demko.  Yet to play more than 1 full season for a #1 goalie .  (60? gp hypothetically)

850C2973-FDD5-423C-B1DA-2165A5C7F439.thumb.jpeg.9dd26b6670905b81107ef42a613e74e9.jpeg

A chance a Demidov??

Zadorov,  and a top 5 pick without throwing away the entire team and adding much more.

This deals with the present and the future perfectly, and gets rid of another potential Goalie Situation in Vancouver while still having good goal tending.

I floated this idea in the playoffs and got badly shot down lol

I still think it has merit. Demko is awesome, but I'm a little concerned about his durability as you've documented here. Personally, I would be open to this and either bringing back DeSmith or possibly finding someone else that could fill in. There's a few out there who could make a good mentor for Silovs including Cam Talbot.

I wonder if there's any guys out there our director of goaltending might look at and say, "Hey, I can fix that..."

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

A chance a Demidov??

Not that i'm condoning this but...

Carolina needs a starter. Demko for Necas +/-...?

It would in theory allow us to spread more of our remaining cap to D to insulate the lesser goalies.

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, Tanev

Soucy, Myers

Hoglander, Petey, Necas.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I still think it has merit. Demko is awesome, but I'm a little concerned about his durability as you've documented here. Personally, I would be open to this and either bringing back DeSmith or possibly finding someone else that could fill in. There's a few out there who could make a good mentor for Silovs including Cam Talbot.

I wonder if there's any guys out there our director of goaltending might look at and say, "Hey, I can fix that..."

To take this risk, I think mgmt would need to know they are getting JG, Tanev, etc. Would still be a huge risk but might have some merit if they could load up the forward group and D. 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I agree ,  and knowing that directly after 2 seasons ,  what is Demko going to ask ?

id say it’s a 9.5-10.5 number, lucky if it’s 9m.

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not that i'm condoning this but...

Carolina needs a starter. Demko for Necas +/-...?

It’s an interesting situation if we look at what may or may not transpire out of next season..   and there’s nothing wrong with looking at that structure.

Making a move now that supports the NOW  WOW factor and adds traction to the future could be on managements mind.

Necas is also UFA ,  The Canes are 27th pick .  
id be looking to take a bit more.

I see nothing wrong with that,  but he also could be signed as a UFA to us IF we unloaded that other 5m of Demkos to SJ CHI or Anaheim for their 1st pick .

They stack 1 - 2 - 3

The target of 1st OA  is SJ ,  and they have absolutely no goaltending.

Q: Would Demko sign long term in SJ ?

A:   I believe Thatcher is from San Diego.

As interesting this is ,  let’s not forget it more than likely this Management will move away from Demko the more they see of Silovs.

Where we lose is if we stay with Demko and he gets hurt again ,  groin / knee have been issues in his career with us.

So .  For s#tz and giggles,

Demko   to SJ for 1st overall.

sign ,  JG , Necas , Zadorov 

(we may even have cap left)

Silovs and DeSmith  share goal 50/50 or appropriately to a plan .

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

A chance a Demidov??

I think you gotta ride and die with Demmers. 

Šilovs is good, but he is nowhere near ready to take over from Demko and be the number 1 guy in net. Let's not jump the gun with the guy. He's still young, and needs to bide his time a little more. Save percentage wasn't great in the playoffs, even if he played well. 

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Would Demko sign long term in SJ ?

No way. He'd have to face so many shots, and it wouldn't be in a winning environment. He won't sign long term with little to zero prospect of being in playoff contention. Zero chance. 

2 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

“Silovs and DeSmith share 40 games?

Neither looked to badly out of place ,  the odd bad game for DeSmith .”

Interesting idea and would solve some problems, but there’s a big difference between not looking too badly out of place and being a Vezina finalist. Need a great goalie for the finals.

I do understand ,  but Demko has not put together back to back 60 game seasons.

… 

When the Habs were in there glory days,

the adage that went around was,

”your best Defence is a good offence”

.. mind you that had Ken Dryden lol !

There will be a shift away from Demko I think,. The questions are when, and when is the Best Timming.

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I agree ,  and knowing that directly after 2 seasons ,  what is Demko going to ask ?

id say it’s a 9.5-10.5 number, lucky if it’s 9m.

It’s an interesting situation if we look at what may or may not transpire out of next season..   and there’s nothing wrong with looking at that structure.

Making a move now that supports the NOW  WOW factor and adds traction to the future could be on managements mind.

Necas is also UFA ,  The Canes are 27th pick .  
id be looking to take a bit more.

I see nothing wrong with that,  but he also could be signed as a UFA to us IF we unloaded that other 5m of Demkos to SJ CHI or Anaheim for their 1st pick .

They stack 1 - 2 - 3

The target of 1st OA  is SJ ,  and they have absolutely no goaltending.

Q: Would Demko sign long term in SJ ?

A:   I believe Thatcher is from San Diego.

As interesting this is ,  let’s not forget it more than likely this Management will move away from Demko the more they see of Silovs.

Where we lose is if we stay with Demko and he gets hurt again ,  groin / knee have been issues in his career with us.

So .  For s#tz and giggles,

Demko   to SJ for 1st overall.

sign ,  JG , Necas , Zadorov 

(we may even have cap left)

Silovs and DeSmith  share goal 50/50 or appropriately to a plan .

Necas is RFA I believe, not UFA

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

No way. He'd have to face so many shots, and it wouldn't be in a winning environment. He won't sign long term with little to zero prospect of being in playoff contention. Zero chance. 

but he is tradeable .  And this Management group did not pick him.

thankfully they aren’t as “gleeful” as some in our fans.

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think you gotta ride and die with Demmers. 

Šilovs is good, but he is nowhere near ready to take over from Demko and be the number 1 guy in net. Let's not jump the gun with the guy. He's still young, and needs to bide his time a little more. Save percentage wasn't great in the playoffs, even if he played well. 

so ride him for 2 seasons to UFA ?

or move after 1 more season with Silovs pressing?

There was talk today that Management was looking at their goalie sition,.  Which had me wondering what they were looking at.

Radio here said it’s DeSmith..  but there would be nothing to really get back or recover for DeSmith.… and I highly doubt that anyone else would take a chance on Silovs..    but Ian Clarke might be offering his expertise in the discussion.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I am absolutely concerned about Demko's durability, it all depends on what they saw in Silovs. I do see Silovs taking over before too long, so might not be a bad idea. 

• Cheers 1

WTF? Now people want to trade Demko? So we want to take a step backwards?

Silovs is not Demko, he played well in the playoffs, but he is not Demko and could possibly never get there. He's showing promise, but the guy has only played 19 games in the NHL, and has less than a .900 sv%.

When Demmer stepped in on the 19-20 playoffs, he had a .64 GAA and .985 SV%. Silovs had a 2.91 GAA and a .898 SV%. We should not be jumping the gun on trading one of the best goalies in the NHL because a 3rd stringer had okay numbers in the playoffs. He wasn't amazing like Demmer was in the same situation, and Demmer had a way worse team in front of him.

Edited by greenbean30
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

BTW The Zadorov’s are in Las Vegas .

I briefly went into “Creepy” mode.

lol

A3AB9E53-D2ED-4B87-B640-18CB88F49995.thumb.jpeg.380c2f9b6b73114dee8ece24808d38ea.jpeg

That's good. Because his agent and all of Canucks management are also in Vegas. If we can get a deal done before, during or even after the draft, this will complete our internal stage of the off-season and we can go out and get that Winger for Petey on July 1.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, greenbean30 said:

WTF? Now people want to trade Demko? So we want to have a step backwards?

Silovs is not Demko, he played well in the playoffs, but he is not Demko and could possibly never get there. He's showing promise, but the guy has only played 19 games in the NHL, and has less than a .900 sv%.

When Demmer stepped in on the 19-20 playoffs, he had a .64 GAA and .985 SV%. Silovs had a 2.91 GAA and a .898 SV%. We should not be jumping the gun on trading one of the best goalies in the NHL because a 3rd stringer had okay numbers in the playoffs. He wasn't amazing like Demmer was in the same situation, and Demmer had a way worse team in front of him.

it’s all hypothetical,.   But it is hockey ,.

ask Bo , He knows.

Bo knows hockey …

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

WTF? Now people want to trade Demko? So we want to take a step backwards?

In two years he will be demko and I would know for I am quinn mother fucking Norris Hughes!!!!