[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

Just now, German Canuck said:

If the price is to high its the right decision not to extend him. Cheaper options are out there

Yeah, we will see how much he gets. It's likely out of Nux budget for the 2bd-3rd LD. 

Lot some grit and intimidation factor to the team for sure. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Management went with a cheaper, older option. Bad plan. 

how did the Canucks go with a cheaper option?

Zadorov and Myers fulfill different spots in the line up

Sure sign Zadorov than you would still need to go fill the hole Myers left and it would probably cost more than 3M a year to fill that hole

• Cheers 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I wonder what gives on that front. We have the cap to sign him. 

Price.  If Zadorov wants something like $5.5M, that's around the cost of a Matt Roy or Brett Pesce who I feel are much better overall defencemen.  RHD defencemen as well.

I'm ok with this decision assuming we land one of the better RHD on the market.  It balances our D group a lot better than Zadorov would.

With Zadorov:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Juulsen

Without Zadorov:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Roy/Pesce

UFA-Myers

• Cheers 3

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

We are going after Guentzel or Stamkos.  Need $9 million+ for that.  The rest of the money will go to the bottom 6 and finding a cheaper replacement for Zadorov...

Guentzel has reportedly been offered what he wants from Canes to stay. They just waiting on JG to decide if he wants to stay. 

Just now, HKSR said:

Price.  If Zadorov wants something like $5.5M, that's around the cost of a Matt Roy or Brett Pesce who I feel are much better overall defencemen.  RHD defencemen as well.

I'm ok with this decision assuming we land one of the better RHD on the market.  It balances our D group a lot better than Zadorov would.

With Zadorov:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Juulsen

Without Zadorov:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Roy/Pesce

UFA-Myers

Exactly, Zadorov is a 4-5D and we already have Hughes and Soucy on the left side. 

If we can get a legit top 4RD to back up Hronek, and bump Myers down, that's worth exploring. 

• Like 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

We are going after Guentzel or Stamkos.  Need $9 million+ for that.  The rest of the money will go to the bottom 6 and finding a cheaper replacement for Zadorov...

I could see one of 2 approaches... the one you mention above which is to get a true elite Top 6F and find a cheaper LHD... OR

Sign one of the top RHD UFA on the market and fill the Top 6 with a guy like Stephenson or Marchessault.

1 minute ago, bh90 said:

Sure sign Zadorov than you would still need to go fill the hole Myers left and it would probably cost more than 3M a year to fill that hole

Yeah, RD hole is bigger on this team. Priorities.  Too bad we can't have both re-signed.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Zadorov is going UFA, then he will go to the highest bidder. 6x6 is my guess...

Could see a team like CHI signing him for that kinda money.  Protect Bedard and the other younger players on that team.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Being cheap means you lose quality. 

that is not true, and they're not being cheap they're making the right decisions

You just heard PA say the coaching staff prefered Myers over Zadorov

i'd trust the judgement of Tocchet, Foote, Gonchar over anyone on this board

• Cheers 2

So… we’re out on Zadorov and likely Guentzel doesn’t make it to UFA.

4.4 for Marino and 3 for Dillon?

Might leave enough for a “B” winger option up front like Toffoli or Duclair, Pacioretty, Bertuzzi, Domi, etc

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Dillon-Marino

Juulsen

1 minute ago, bh90 said:

Myers signed for $3M and Zadorov wasn’t going to. Hence the word cheaper. 

1 minute ago, bh90 said:

1 minute ago, bh90 said:

what hole does Myers leave? He’s a 5-6 defenseman who’s 34 years old. There are numerous options to replace him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1