[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

Just now, HKSR said:

I could see one of 2 approaches... the one you mention above which is to get a true elite Top 6F and find a cheaper LHD... OR

Sign one of the top RHD UFA on the market and fill the Top 6 with a guy like Stephenson or Marchessault.

Yeah, I think they go all in on a winger for Petey.  That's why we re-signed Myers.  Hronek, Myers, Juulsen is fine on the right side.  But Petey with Suter and Hoglander is not.  I think Allvin is going all in on that winger for Petey...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

So… we’re out on Zadorov and likely Guentzel doesn’t make it to UFA.

4.4 for Marino and 3 for Dillon?

Might leave enough for a “B” winger option up front like Toffoli or Duclair, Pacioretty, Bertuzzi, Domi, etc

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Dillon-Marino

Juulsen

I'd do that, depending on what Jersey wants for Marino.

• Cheers 1

Myers did nothing to get in the way of Zadorov.  If anything, it opened the door to keeping Juulsen as a #6 and overspending on the left side.  Having 3.8 AAV locked up on the right side bottom 4 is fantastic value if that’s they way they wanted to play it.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Price.  If Zadorov wants something like $5.5M, that's around the cost of a Matt Roy or Brett Pesce who I feel are much better overall defencemen.  RHD defencemen as well.

I'm ok with this decision assuming we land one of the better RHD on the market.  It balances our D group a lot better than Zadorov would.

With Zadorov:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Juulsen

Without Zadorov:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Roy/Pesce

UFA-Myers

Zads well into the 5s gets iffy. 

Just now, German Canuck said:

Instead of Zadorov an LD and an RD would make the D better

Example:

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - UFA

Dillon/UFA - Myers

Those UFA spots will be filled by cheap placeholders. And the defense will suffer because of it. 

Unsure about the viability of the trades now to Calgary.  Retaining zads would have made it palatable but now it looks like a wasted amount for 2 rounds.

Some GM is going to give Zadorov $6 million and between him and Pesce they will go toe to toe for who signed the worst contract over time.  but Zads brought stuff we absolutely needed.

Great we kept Myers and Hronek, but now what?  Jump in to free agency AGAIN to try to fill yet another hole except, finding a big bodied defenceman that can skate and actually uses that size the way Zads did is not going to be easy, not going to be cheap and if done during the regular season means we will be giving up yet more futures

• Vintage 1

I wonder if there's a world where the market isn't what Zadorov thinks is at for his service, and then we circle back. Although I expect a team like Toronto will meet his needs as they desperately need more grit in their d core.

Someone needs to post that tweet about Zadorov hitting free agency.

You can't force a UFA to sign. They have final say. If he leaves, it's his choice. We were obviously trying to re-sign him.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Myers signed for $3M and Zadorov wasn’t going to. Hence the word cheaper. 

what hole does Myers leave? He’s a 5-6 defenseman who’s 34 years old. There are numerous options to replace him. 

Myers is one your RD. Zadorov would be one of your LD

Now that we didn't sign Zadorov, we'll still need to go find another LD. that LD is the alternative option to Zadorov, not Myers.

different positions, different roles on the team... unless you're in the camp that strong side doesn't matter on defense and players can play any side dispite Tocchet going on record that he wants his D on their strong side.

Just now, Darius said:

love this by our mgmt group. if they gave in they would lose a lot of future negotiation power with other agents/players in the future.

hold your ground and send a message that they're not bluffing.

Plus i doubt they told Zadorov... ok see ya later and good luck. If he calls back after his press conference and says ok, i'll sign the deal they offered him they probably won't say no. This could very well be a call our bluff move by saying it to the media and put pressure on Z