[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

One thing I want to emphasize in regards to the Canucks and Zadorov is that Allvin and co have yet to overpay anyone this offseason. Myers, Bluger, and Joshua all took less than they could have via UFA, even the Hronek deal was fair for both sides. 

If Zadorov is walking he plays a big part in that, others were clearly willing to play ball to stay. If he wants to chase the money that's on him. 

The fact is, if you take away his physical tools he’s a 17 minute a night, 25 point, solid left handed defender. 

His intangibles are fabulous - big, scrappy, confident, outspoken, playoff performer. 

I know fans would give him the old Myers 6x5 - but I totally understand why management held their ground here.

• Cheers 2

Zadorov's regular season and playoff performances are like night and day. It's a relief that we're not breaking the bank for him based on his playoff showing. At 29 years old, he's already made quite a few stops - where to next?

3 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

hope this means we're making a play for Tanev and / or Dillon

Sad to see Big Zeke go if that is what ultimately happens. Still holding out hope that he will resign after July 1st. I trust in management and if they are holding their ground on whatever that number / term is then they are making the right call. 

Will still cheer on Big Zeke wherever he goes if that is ultimately what happens as I really liked him as a person first (what little we got to know of him) and a player second ... just not if it is in a TO uniform and certainly not when he would be playing against us. 

Edited by Rocket-68

Just now, Coconuts said:

Would be a really smart acquisition.  $4.4M cap hit for 3 more years.  27yo, excellent defensively.  Exactly what we need in our group.

Podkolzin would be the trade chip I think.  Especially with Joshua back for 4 more years.

4 minutes ago, The Duke said:

The fact is, if you take away his physical tools he’s a 17 minute a night, 25 point, solid left handed defender. 

His intangibles are fabulous - big, scrappy, confident, outspoken, playoff performer. 

I know fans would give him the old Myers 6x5 - but I totally understand why management held their ground here.

I'm glad they have, I was hoping they'd keep Zadorov too, but not at the expense of an overpay. He's a 4-5D, I'd rather go grab a legit top 4RD. If we can do that and keep the cap hit on the lower side that also opens up more options as far as getting a top six forward goes. 

It also establishes that they're willing to walk away, which I think is important. Always gotta have a BATNA. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Would be a really smart acquisition.  $4.4M cap hit for 3 more years.  27yo, excellent defensively.  Exactly what we need in our group.

Podkolzin would be the trade chip I think.  Especially with Joshua back for 4 more years.

I'd send them Podz for Marino, his cap hit already been locked in is huge, particularly this offseason. Get Marino at 4.4 and that probably leaves us more cap to go after a top 6 forward than we'd have left over if we got a top 4RD via UFA. He's also a younger alternative to Tanev, which I like.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

i would be upset if Joshua (skillset replaceable) has cost us Zadorov.

Big Z was our main target.
not Hronek (not that bad contract) 
not Joshua (meh)
not Blueger  (meh, we can do better at 3C)
not Myers (not that bad contract.

we needed big Z, then round up the Dcorps with Myers and Tanev, Dillon... 
AND most than anything, we needed two top 6. 

right now we have 0 top 6 added, and everyone BUT Zadorov signed.

i hope we sign him before July 1st, and get our two top 6 with that little cap space left with bargain deals... (Skinner, Duchesne, Toffoli...) 

update : i just saw the Zadorov going elsewhere comment. 

Edited by DexM94
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. Zadorov should have been a bigger priority than Myers and considering how much Myers made in his last contract, and how underwhelming he was for most of it, he was given too much. Of course, there's the chorus of fans who'll state that Myers took less to play here, but there's really no way of proving that at all. Mere supposition. 

It’s possible that management had a deal with Myers for a while now, and maybe there’s no real “pecking order” to the contracts. Whomever was ready and available to sign was dealt with first. No real way of knowing at this point. 

I do hope that Alvin still has Zadorov in his plans though, seeing as how he has stated that he wants to be here. Not a player who's easily replaceable. 

Fk

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly this. Can't lose sight of that despite how well Zad fit with us last season. 

Also, we all knew Myers was overpaid at $6 and we just can't go backward into that again.

I'm a massive fan of Zad, too. Disappointed but definitely hopeful and confident in management. 

Me too. They've shown they won't overpay anyone and have a clear vision of what they want to do. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 4