[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

53 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Why, we have more than enough cap room to sign both? 

14.5 should be enough to sign Z and JG unless one of them wants more than their worth 

So Allvin is posturing or closing that door he has eluded too?

30 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Agreed in part. Some guys take a little longer to put it all together and he might be one of those guys. I’m not saying he’s Chara. 

He’s in an interesting spot because people will be paying for potential regardless of where he ends up; it’s fair to say he’s different from players on the downturn of their career based on what we saw with him. 

Lots of misconceptions about Chara and his development, he became a 1st pairing Dman at age 25, by 27 he was logging over 27 minutes. He was a late bloomer but not as late as some think.

• Cheers 2

I had hoped he would have.signed but we are better off without him and Lindholm if they both want max contract offers to stay.

Teams like Toronto that overpay by meeting players "me first demand " get stuck in the me first culture and also stuck in medeoacracy. Great teams have players that put the team first.  Not  suggesting they play for nothing but a player that demands the highest contract other teams will pay is litterly telling the team they are more important than winning 

Just means the Canucks have some work to fill those 2 spots but hopefully whom ever that is will be players that want to play and win here 

Edited by Sapper
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

So far they seem to set numbers and stick to them. Josh was good deal, Blueger took a pay cut🤷‍♀️, I would have preferred different D than Myers but he came in at pretty good number. But hey if Gonchar said bring him back who am I to bitch about it. 
Hate to see Zads go but he barely cost anything for what he gave back. He may circle back after sees what is out there, he may sign for 6M in TO. Next few days should be fun. 

Really too bad to lose Zadorov, but he's bound to make more than the Canucks can offer. It was his call and he chose to leave VAN for more money. I think JR/PA will address the D issues and whoever they bring in will be coached by Tocchet, to play Tocchet hockey. 

I'm redirecting my focus on the Season of Petey next year. He'll be making the big money, and I'm thinking he's going to come back bigger, stronger and more determined. He'll want to earn that money, he's a competitor. Who will be on Petey's wing next season? Getting excited for Free Agent frenzy. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Part of problem was people saying over and over that Zad was a Top 4 dman and even suggesting he was more important than a first pairing dman. Obviously their emotions were getting the better of them.

@Coconutsgreat post detailing Zad's history tells the accurate tale.

Absolutely love Zad and hate to see him go but $4.5 to $5 was fair given his history. 

that tale has to do with before his arrival to this team and the chemistry it created here can only be shown in his last 20 games here and the playoffs.

You are aware of his playoff stats?

That was the opportunity he did never get anywhere else, he was never given the opportunities to “show” well.

He proved his potential and worth .

4.5 -5.5 x6 offers far more value in the moment and for up to 6 years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Shhhh... people won't be able to see past the hits and "wah wah" faces that Big Z makes. 

They will point to how he played bigger minutes and a larger role in the playoffs. 

I would counter with the historical facts that you've presented, and the fact he will be playing for his 6th NHL team in 11 years.  If he was truly the irreplaceable and top end defenceman that some are making him out to be, then he wouldn't have been tossed around as much as he has. 

Some might argue that he will still improve from here and point to Chara as an example.  I challenge you to find another solid example other than from a hall of fame candidate.

Zadorov was the prefect fit for Toochet's system; it creates less chaos, and fits well with big dudes that are naturally more awkward in transition. This is why Myers did a 180 last year too. As such, Zad was a very capable and deserving top 4 LHD in Vancouver, and would have been a very welcomed signing based on his other intangibles (toughness and attitude).

Having said this, he has been somewhat invisible (outside a few big hits) in his other stops, and hasn't shown that he is an adaptable player and worthy of Top 4 status regardless of system. I will be surprised if he commands anything >5.25m on the open market given the plentitude of FA D men this year. 

For PA, the options are open with regards to a Top 4 RHD or LHD signing. Either will allow one of our depth guys to play with a seasoned vet (RHD signing: Dev guy with Myers // LHD signing: FA with Juulsen). As such, I'd start a chat with Roy and see if he can be had for reasonable $$. 

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

Zadorov was the prefect fit for Toochet's system; it creates less chaos, and fits well with big dudes that are naturally more awkward in transition. This is why Myers did a 180 last year too. As such, Zad was a very capable and deserving top 4 LHD in Vancouver, and would have been a very welcomed signing based on his other intangibles (toughness and attitude).

Having said this, he has been somewhat invisible (outside a few big hits) in his other stops, and hasn't shown that he is an adaptable player and worthy of Top 4 status regardless of system. I will be surprised if he commands anything >5.25m on the open market given the plentitude of FA D men this year. 

For PA, the options are open with regards to a Top 4 RHD or LHD signing. Either will allow one of our depth guys to play with a seasoned vet (RHD signing: Dev guy with Myers // LHD signing: FA with Juulsen). As such, I'd chat with Roy and see if he can be had for reasonable $$. 

Oddly enough, this UFA season has a plethora of RHD, but not as many LHD.  That might be impacting Zadorov's market value.  The teams are permitted to talk to players and agents at this point, so surely Zadorov knows what is available out there.  Probably why they're not budging on their price.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Really too bad to lose Zadorov, but he's bound to make more than the Canucks can offer. It was his call and he chose to leave VAN for more money. I think JR/PA will address the D issues and whoever they bring in will be coached by Tocchet, to play Tocchet hockey. 

I'm redirecting my focus on the Season of Petey next year. He'll be making the big money, and I'm thinking he's going to come back bigger, stronger and more determined. He'll want to earn that money, he's a competitor. Who will be on Petey's wing next season? Getting excited for Free Agent frenzy. 

The key to unlocking our full potential is getting the Miller-Boeser duo and the Petey-??? duo firing on all cylinders at the same time in the playoffs.  Last year Miller-Boeser carried the offence.  If Petey's line was contributing at all, we would have made the Finals.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oddly enough, this UFA season has a plethora of RHD, but not as many LHD.  That might be impacting Zadorov's market value.  The teams are permitted to talk to players and agents at this point, so surely Zadorov knows what is available out there.  Probably why they're not budging on their price.

Grab value while/when you can.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

that tale has to do with before his arrival to this team and the chemistry it created here can only be shown in his last 20 games here and the playoffs.

You are aware of his playoff stats?

That was the opportunity he did never get anywhere else, he was never given the opportunities to “show” well.

He proved his potential and worth .

4.5 -5.5 x6 offers far more value in the moment and for up to 6 years.

I'm 100% aware of all that he brings. Love the guy but ... before his arrival matters. His history tells the tale. We just can't overpay the guy. Especially when most are making team friendly deals.

$4.5 to $5 is fair value for #5 and #6 dmen and what he brings. It was his choice to leave and not take it. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm 100% aware of all that he brings. Love the guy but ... before his arrival matters. His history tells the tale. We just can't overpay the guy. Especially when most are making team friendly deals.

$4.5 to $5 is fair value for #5 and #6 dmen and what he brings. It was his choice to leave and not take it. 

5 or 6....that's a fair deal for a top 4 that is not TOP end. Anything above 5m with term was rich.

10 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

So fucking disappointed. Big Z is exactly what this team needed and this years playoffs showed that. This is a huge loss. 

It's funny, because we now have people looking for reasons that he isn't worth what he's asking....(even though we don't know what that ask is).... Like they're trying to convince themselves that this is a good thing for the Canucks.....

Meanwhile, everyone seems absolutely fine with giving a 30 year old Jake Guentzel 9+ million for the next 7 years.....:classic_rolleyes:

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

So fucking disappointed. Big Z is exactly what this team needed and this years playoffs showed that. This is a huge loss. 

We have been lacking toughness and guys sticking up for each other for the last decade and we finally found someone that fits that bill and he plays that way and sticking up for his teammates and we end up losing him!!! It's is a very tough pill to swallow today!!  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

5 or 6....that's a fair deal for a top 4 that is not TOP end. Anything above 5m with term was rich.

True but we're in a different place. We could justify his 4.5 to 5 in the structure of a top team, which we are, with our top guys in the $7s, a guy like Zad in the upper middle, and our other dmen in the $3s. So it's really more than fair. 

6 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

We have been lacking toughness and guys sticking up for each other for the last decade and we finally found someone that fits that bill and he plays that way and sticking up for his teammates and we end up losing him!!! It's is a very tough pill to swallow today!!  

It goes even further than that for me....

We haven't had that guy who make opposing players want to know where he is, whenever they step out on the ice. What I call the "Bryan Marchment" factor...

The closest we've had is Raffi Torres and he was nowhere near Zadorov's size.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Signing EP when they did and that amount may prove to be more of a risk  than any risk associated with Zadorov.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1