[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

Just now, MeanSeanBean said:

Was anyone ever saying he wasn't? He was always a bottom pairing defensemen.

No different than Myers really.

Both can play the role of top 4 here and there but they’re not top 4.

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

No different than Myers really.

Both can play the role of top 4 here and there but they’re not top 4.

Agreed. The second I heard Zaddy was asking for 5 million I was hoping we wouldn't be the team to pay him that. Loved his play, he was exactly what this team needed. But much more keen on having a franchise that refuses to overpay anyone.

15 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

It's funny, because we now have people looking for reasons that he isn't worth what he's asking....(even though we don't know what that ask is).... Like they're trying to convince themselves that this is a good thing for the Canucks.....

Meanwhile, everyone seems absolutely fine with giving a 30 year old Jake Guentzel 9+ million for the next 7 years.....:classic_rolleyes:

Great point. The gymnastics people partake in on is astounding. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Was anyone ever saying he wasn't? He was always a bottom pairing defensemen.

Yeah there’s plenty of that in this thread. The needle shifts a little to fit whatever narrative folks deem fit depending on how the situation plays out 

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Agreed. The second I heard Zaddy was asking for 5 million I was hoping we wouldn't be the team to pay him that. Loved his play, he was exactly what this team needed. But much more keen on having a franchise that refuses to overpay anyone.

Yeah. I absolutely loved Zadorov on and off the ice. But realistically, 5 mill is just too much for a 4/5 D-man, no matter how much swagger he has.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Great point. The gymnastics people partake in on is astounding. 

It's not a popular opinion around here, but I've stated several times that I don't want Guentzel or Tanev. I really wanted Z back, but even more than that, I did not want any albatross contracts that would come home to roost after a few seasons.

There are options out there for most positions....I just don't see anyone bringing to the table what Z did. I will say that if the divide was something like $4.5 million vs $6 million, then I understand the decision to walk away.....but if it was $4.5 vs $5 million, we dropped the ball....

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yeah there’s plenty of that in this thread. The needle shifts a little to fit whatever narrative folks deem fit depending on how the situation plays out 

He's always been a 4/5 and not worth 5 million.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Zadorov has already picked his next destination. 6x6 is my guess. 

We had him economically at $3.75 and he got us to where we needed to go. Great value for us and great addition by Allvin. 

I loved everything about the guy. Really disappointed it didn't work out. 

His choice to leave. Other guys took team friendly deals.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

“Regarding our back end, I believe talking to our coaches the preference of having the top four defencemen we have now was something they had as a preference coming after the season. So locking Tyler Myers up was something that really important for us.

Interesting that a mere two to three years ago, this fanbase and media was speaking of Myers as a liability and a bottom pairing defenseman due to his analytics and overall general play, but now at 34, he’s a top four? 

Does this mean that Alvin wants to come back with a legitimate top pairing and then two 5-6 pairings playing above their pay grade?

Zadorov is pulling an Ehrhoff and going for the most $$ long term. Not sure if he really cares about winning a cup, he just wants to make the most amount of $$ possible. 

I bet you he will be going to one of the bottom 10 teams for too much money. Chicago, Montreal, or Columbus for 6.5M x 6 years

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

It's not a popular opinion around here, but I've stated several times that I don't want Guentzel or Tanev. I really wanted Z back, but even more than that, I did not want any albatross contracts that would come home to roost after a few seasons.

Guentzel is not worth $9M anyway you slice it. Signing him may not work out. What if Pettersson continues to sputter in October and he and Guentzel have zero chemistry? 

Losing Zadorov will impact this team more than they realize. He proved what he brought. 

7 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

There are options out there for most positions....I just don't see anyone bringing to the table what Z did. I will say that if the divide was something like $4.5 million vs $6 million, then I understand the decision to walk away.....but if it was $4.5 vs $5 million, we dropped the ball....

True. If he was looking for $6-7M a season, that’s too much. I have a feeling he wanted $5M per season and they only wanted to go as high as $4.7M. If it was that, huuuuuuge mistake. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

He's always been a 4/5 and not worth 5 million.

Yup except in the playoffs when he was our best Dman. But playoffs don’t matter. She’s all good, we got Myers 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, KesLord said:

Zadorov is pulling an Ehrhoff and going for the most $$ long term. Not sure if he really cares about winning a cup, he just wants to make the most amount of $$ possible. 

I bet you he will be going to one of the bottom 10 teams for too much money. Chicago, Montreal, or Columbus for 6.5M x 6 years

Toronto, New Jersey, New York, or LA. He won’t be going to a bottom feeder. 

Just now, RolexSub said:

I have a feeling he will sign with either Toronto or New York Rangers. 

Treliving knows him well and Berube is similar to Tocchet. I can see that getting done. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Toronto, New Jersey, New York, or LA. He won’t be going to a bottom feeder. 

I know I could get drummed out of the cool kids club for wanting him to end up in T.O., but for me it's anywhere but LA....

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yup except in the playoffs when he was our best Dman. But playoffs don’t matter. She’s all good, we got Myers 

No playoffs don't matter regular season matters more and getting you to the playoffs, that's why Pettersson is so valuable....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I know I could get drummed out of the cool kids club for wanting him to end up in T.O., but for me it's anywhere but LA....

For sure. LA likes to take it to Vancouver, and with Zadorov, they'll be able to with aplomb. And who gives a tuppany fuck about the cool kids club?

Edited by PhillipBlunt

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Treliving knows him well. 

exactly he worked with him back in the days in Calgary and now a Maple Leaf 

Edited by RolexSub
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

How would Toronto afford him? Unless they can dump Marner for nothing but draft capital?

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

For sure. LA likes to take it to Vancouver, and with Zadorov, they'll be able to with aplomb.

If we thought Petey and Huggy got bullied during the playoffs, just wait until they have to face Z on a regular basis....

• Vintage 2