[ARTICLE] What it might take to sign Nikita Zadorov and if it makes sense for the Canucks

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No different than Myers really.

Both can play the role of top 4 here and there but they’re not top 4.

Nailed it! Can jump in here and there but not on the regular. His career proves that.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

Just now, Slegr said:

How would Toronto afford him? Unless they can dump Marner for nothing but draft capital?

That's Toronto's problem. The bottom line is, I do not want Zadorov coming into our barn and slamming our stars into next week every couple of weeks.

FTR: I think Marner is good enough that someone will take him with little, or no retention. Utah, maybe....

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

If we thought Petey and Huggy got bullied during the playoffs, just wait until they have to face Z on a regular basis....

Exactly. I remember seeing Hughes getting hit and slumping over to the bench and thinking that the Canucks needed to show some pushback. Within a couple of shifts I see Josi get stapled to the boards by Zadorov, and wince in pain. It was that subtle (not so subtle) game of tit for tat that helped the Canucks maneuver through that series.

Zadorov knows the tendencies of those two, and especially how to get Pettersson off of his game. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yup except in the playoffs when he was our best Dman. But playoffs don’t matter. She’s all good, we got Myers 

Wait, you mean a player played above his career average during the final moments of a contract year?! That never happens, I'm shocked. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

exactly he worked with him back in the days in Calgary and now a Maple Leaf 

Those same Treleving teams where he topped out as a 5D on a quality D core?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Wait, you mean a player played above his career average during the final moments of a contract year?! That never happens, I'm shocked. 

Yeah did you miss it. Quite cerebral, exciting hockey. 

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, KesLord said:

Zadorov is pulling an Ehrhoff and going for the most $$ long term. Not sure if he really cares about winning a cup, he just wants to make the most amount of $$ possible. 

I bet you he will be going to one of the bottom 10 teams for too much money. Chicago, Montreal, or Columbus for 6.5M x 6 years

Most guys priortize money or they'd sign for league min

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RolexSub said:

Benning was dishing out big contracts and the players did not meet their expectations. I am ok paying the big price but I don't see how Guentzel is worth over $11M per year!! That is all I am saying and you are telling me I won't be a successful GM. You can't be over paying every player that has hit 40 goals 2x's in their 9yr career. That is all I am saying. There are alternatives that comes at a lower price. 

Over 11M per year? Where does this number come from?

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yeah did you miss it. Quite cerebral, exciting hockey. 

Yup, I did miss becoming overly attached to a player due to elevated play in a contract year. Thankfully. Also thankful it missed our management as well.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

Starting to look a bit like the Horvat trade... folks here are losing their shit, while having zero knowledge of the plan forward...

I worked out fine with the Horvat trade that turned into Hronek...

We all loved Zad, but the entire front office has spent the last 4 weeks with the numbers, and how to move forward... The need space for the OEL cap retention and they need money to extend Brock and Demko... This is the reality... 

I think its fair to wait and see, what they come up with, as they've earned the right...

1 minute ago, Captain insano said:

Myers is rhd zadorov is left top 2 pairs left side are solid can’t pay your 3rd pair 5+ when your 2 middle pair are making a combined 6.25 it sucks but its just living in reality 

Well said!
It really does suck.  I can’t blame anyone for being disappointed.  It’s reality however.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Captain insano said:

Myers is rhd zadorov is left top 2 pairs left side are solid can’t pay your 3rd pair 5+ when your 2 middle pair are making a combined 6.25 it sucks but its just living in reality 

Exactly why he was never going to sign

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Yup, I did miss becoming overly attached to a player due to elevated play in a contract year. Thankfully. Also thankful it missed our management as well.

Yeah our management can’t do no wrong. Can’t have differing opinions. Whatever they do will be the right decision 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yeah our management can’t do no wrong. Can’t have differing opinions. Whatever they do will be the right decision 

Every team needs their cheerleaders, Dev. apollo left some big shoes to fill. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Conscience said:

Take .5 from myers .25 from hronek and 1.25 from pete and you get 2 mill

I don’t think any of those players are overpaid. Pettersson is projected to provide 11.9 million in value over the course of 8 years, 300k above his contract. Meyers at 3million is only 250k above scheme and Lybushkin last year, and 1m less than Gudbranson. There is no way that is an overpayment. Same with Hronek, many people were saying it would be starting with an 8. Calling a signing an ‘overpayment’ doesn’t just make it so. Look at comparables around the league, they are all great signings. By your mentality, just take 250k off every contract, and suddenly we have a spare 5 million in cap!

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Most guys priortize money or they'd sign for league min

With Russian players, It's all Daniel Milstein. They do whatever he tells them to. There is no doubt in me mind that was the case with Zadorov.

He like it here and that couldn't have been more obvious. He had no say in the matter and Alvin probably didn't either. I suppose there could

have been some residual effect with Milkiev being let go.

7 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

With Russian players, It's all Daniel Milstein. They do whatever he tells them to. There is no doubt in me mind that was the case with Zadorov.

He like it here and that couldn't have been more obvious. He had no say in the matter and Alvin probably didn't either. I suppose there could

have been some residual effect with Milkiev being let go.

What are you talking about? 
Does Milstein make him lunches and dress him too? Cmon man 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1